Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 08-23-2007, 04:48 PM   #16
Kblaze8855
Titles are overrated

Kblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: The hardest foul of all time?

If you mean the punch I think....the refs didnt call anything. It was an obvious punch the whole arena saw. Robert looked around waiting for the whistle then just shrugged and ran down the court.

And when Karl wrecked Isiah Thomas...maybe top 10 all time. Getting him back for giving Stockton 44 because Stockton made the dream team and Isiah didnt. Isiah just killed John all game and next time they played Karl ****ed him up. needed 40+ stitches. Something about that:

Quote:
As Michael Lowe, D.P.M., team podiatrist for the Utah Jazz, remembered it in remarks at the 1996 AAPSM annual meeting:

Isiah Thomas was driving the lane hard to the basket when Karl swatted at the ball but missed and caught Isiah across the eye brow with his elbow. Again the smaller mass paid the price from the 265 lb. Malone. Thomas went down hard to the court. His initial reaction was that he had been shot in the head by some one in the stands. I looked down to see if the Orthopedic Surgeon was going on to the court, he wasn't in his seat, he had gone outside of the court area to answer a page. Isiah was hemorrhaging from the laceration quite badly and was badly dazed from the impact with Karl's elbow. I went down to see if I could help the trainer, since there was general mayhem on the court. I suggested that we put a collar on him and get a back board to carry him off the court. It was at this point that Bill Laimbeer grabbed me from behind and practically lifted me off the ground by the neck, telling me that Isiah wasn't going to leave the court that way. This was done by shouting about 2 inches away directly into my face. Before I could react from his shove to my chest to get me out of the way, he picked Isiah Thomas up like you would pick up your three year old son, and carried him very carefully into the locker room for further evaluation. It was at about this time the Orthopod showed up. I gladly turned the situation, and Bill Lambier, over to him. Isiah had a lacerated artery across the brow and was bleeding quite profusely. Lambier refused to leave his side. Since Isiah had a poster boy like face, the Orthopedic surgeon elected to have him transported to the hospital for a Plastic Surgeon to do the primary repair. Lambier went with him to the hospital too. That's what I call team support.
Kblaze8855 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 04:52 PM   #17
bleedinpurpleTwo
Another Laker Dynasty?

bleedinpurpleTwo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbleedinpurpleTwo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbleedinpurpleTwo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbleedinpurpleTwo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbleedinpurpleTwo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbleedinpurpleTwo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbleedinpurpleTwo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbleedinpurpleTwo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbleedinpurpleTwo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbleedinpurpleTwo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

does Kermit Washington's punch to Rudy T count as a hard foul.
Nothing worse than ending a guy's career....and caving in his face.
bleedinpurpleTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 04:57 PM   #18
Jimmy2k8
NBA rookie of the year

Jimmy2k8 has an incredible reputation hereJimmy2k8 has an incredible reputation hereJimmy2k8 has an incredible reputation hereJimmy2k8 has an incredible reputation hereJimmy2k8 has an incredible reputation hereJimmy2k8 has an incredible reputation hereJimmy2k8 has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedinpurpleTwo
does Kermit Washington's punch to Rudy T count as a hard foul.
Nothing worse than ending a guy's career....and caving in his face.

Rudy T? The one that coached the Lakers and the Rockets?

Last edited by Jimmy2k8 : 08-23-2007 at 05:26 PM.
Jimmy2k8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 04:59 PM   #19
Pharmacist
I brick open layups

Pharmacist has an OK reputation so far

1972 Cal vs. Stanford regular season game, January 15th

Edward Johnson gets a break away opportunity with Thomas Townsend chasing him down. Johnson goes up for the dunk and Townsend goes up to elbow him right in the chin in mid-air because he couldn't stop in time, causing Johnson to gain a couple more inches upwards and hitting his head on the backboard. A defensive foul was called and Johnson had a concussion.
Pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 05:00 PM   #20
Kblaze8855
Titles are overrated

Kblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Yes that Rudy. He ran up o na fight and a guy turned and caught him as he approached. brok his face and even damaged his spine. He had spinal fluid in his mouth when he got to the hospital. He was left slumped in a pool of blood. Some of the bone of his face was literally knocked off the bone of his skull according to some articles. He missed the whole season.

He later said he thought a scoreboard fell on him.

Last edited by Kblaze8855 : 08-23-2007 at 05:03 PM.
Kblaze8855 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 05:01 PM   #21
gts
Sons of Antartica

gts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy2k8
Rudy T? The one that coaches the Lakers and the Rockets?
yep one in the same

Quote:
Houston’s Rudy Tomjanovich, who has since built up a storied coaching resume, was then a multiple All-Star, with a sweet shooting touch and a popular player to boot. While Kermit Washington was a 6’ 8” player known for his immense strength and was embarking on a promising NBA career, would cross paths and be synonymous with each other evermore.

Back in 1977 the NBA had a notorious reputation for violence, with that year seeing a lot of on-court fights. Even the great Kareem Abdul-Jabbar was not immune, when he broke his hand punching Kent Benson in that same season.

Twenty games later his Laker teammate Kermit Washington would change permanently the league’s attitude to basketball violence.

In the midst of a typically physical game between the Rockets and Lakers, Washington found himself getting into a scuffle with Houston’s Kevin Kunnert. Rudy T reacted instinctively by running to the fracas, and Washington sensing someone rushing towards him took a swing that violently connected with the face of Tomjanovich.

Lakers assistant coach Jack McCloskey called it “the hardest punch in the history of mankind.” (Vliet, Sacramento Bee, 2002) Meanwhile, Kareem who didn’t see the actual punch, has stated that he would never forget the sound of the impact. (Moore, USA Today, 2002)

Perhaps most unfortunate for Rudy, was the fact that he was running to the mayhem to play peacemaker, rather than trying to escalate the drama.

Here is how Sports Illustrated described the injuries suffered by Tomjanovich who, ‘…suffered fractures of the face and skull, a broken nose and separated upper jaw, a cerebral concussion, and severe lacerations around his mouth. In effect, the bone structure of his face was knocked loose from his skull.’ (Kirkpatrick, Sports Illustrated, 1977)

The damage to Rudy’s face was so severe that the nurses attending to him, and family members put towels over mirrors to keep him from seeing the extent of damage he had suffered from the punch: “When I was (in the emergency room), I wondered if I would ever play again," Tomjanovich said. "I thought I was gonna be the Elephant Man and have to be put away and, 'Oh, my God, look at the face on that guy.' (Vliet, Sacramento Bee, 2002)

Doctors actually compared Tomjanovich’s injuries to that of a person hitting the windshield of a car at 50 mph.

Washington was fined $10, 000 and suspended for 60 days.

Although Washington was reputed to be a basketball enforcer, many that knew him described him as a gentle guy off-court that was unfortunately at the wrong place, at the wrong time. The punch on Rudy cannot directly be attributed to malice, but rather instinct, with most
Rudy and Kermit come together. (Image from USA Today) players agreeing as much such as current Laker GM, Mitch Kupchak who was a Washington player at the time: “We've all talked about it on the Bullets and we all agree. If we put ourselves in Kermit's position, we would have reacted in the same way. Maybe what happened between him and Kunnert beforehand was all wrong, but when you turn and you see a guy roaring down on you, you have to fight.” (Kirkpatrick, Sports Illustrated, 1977)

Needless to say, the lives of both Washington and Tomjanovich were never the same after the incident. Kermit was permanently stained by the punch, while Rudy T’s basketball playing prowess was irreversibly damaged.

In 2002 John Feinstein wrote a book about the incident called The Punch, and it was also around this period that both Rudy and Kermit sat together for the first time since that terrible night.

Washington apologised, articulating to the world that he was never able to let that night go, whilst constantly wondering how different his life may have been without the punch. Tomjanovich on the other hand, and to his credit, never actively sought an apology because he felt it wasn’t his place to pass judgement on Washington, but has also forgiven Kermit.

http://www.nbaloud.com/kermit-washin...y-tomjanovich/

Last edited by gts : 08-23-2007 at 05:10 PM.
gts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 05:03 PM   #22
wang4three
NJ Net Fan For Life.

wang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation here

Of recent memory, Stack fouling Joe Johnson was pretty harsh in the '05 playoffs. Also Amare chipping Paul Pierce's tooth.
wang4three is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 05:22 PM   #23
Da KO King
NBA sixth man of the year

Da KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputation

To this day the NBA's blackballing of Kermit Washington is the most unfair thing I've seen a sports league do. The man served his time. Let him get a job as a scout or something.
Da KO King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 05:37 PM   #24
Thorpesaurous
NBA rookie of the year

Thorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Here's the entire Celtic Piston fiasco. It opens with the incident on Bird the previous game. The little double roled screen the Celtics run to iso Bird is a pretty little set by the way. One of those minutea elements of the game that the overcalling of illegal defense has eliminated. Now you'd just send everybody to the weakside of the floor. Sad.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6SSK9dHfasQ

God I hate Lambeer, but I never could see what he did in that game in Boston. You get some classic Tommy Homerism here to, where he continues to analyze the replay looking for some inkling of Lambeer being an *******. The guy was a jerk 90% of the time, this just seemed like one of those rare 10% situations where he really didn't do anything wrong.

I agree on Kermit by the way. He came to Boston after that, and was almost immediately thrust into the role of thug, which he really wasn't. He was a hard nosed defensive minded role player who could give you some minutes at the three or four, and make good decisions on offense. He was like Ryan Gomes.
Thorpesaurous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 05:42 PM   #25
Thorpesaurous
NBA rookie of the year

Thorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

http://www.amazon.com/Punch-Night-Ch.../dp/0316735639

That's the Fienstein book about the Rudy T Kermit Washington incident. There's a lot of people who think the league is still running from that image, and that it still has an enormous impact on the league. People think those Suns suspensions this year can be traced back directly to that punch, and the league fighting the image of a bunch of coked up thugs. I don't think it's quite that direct, but I see the point.
Thorpesaurous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 05:53 PM   #26
xxxSuperStar
I Like Tacos

xxxSuperStar has an OK reputation so far

Dennis Rodman (on Pistons) fouls Scottie Pippen comes to mind. Anyone have footage?
xxxSuperStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 06:03 PM   #27
John Starks
National High School Star

John Starks has an OK reputation so far

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LvzKP10X35E

As about the 3;40 mark is my favorite foul of all time
John Starks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 06:11 PM   #28
RainierBeachPoet
NEVER forget da SONICS

RainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by PK3434
If McHale did that today, he would be suspended for the remainder of that playoff series. Rambis would have been suspended for running after him probably, too.

this is the foul that immediately came to mind when i read the thread title

what made that foul extra emotional, was that it was most likely done with intent to really hurt rambis

this rambis/mchale moment actually motivated the lakers as a team afterwards
RainierBeachPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 06:17 PM   #29
BigTicket
Cavs for life

BigTicket is a pretty well-respected posterBigTicket is a pretty well-respected posterBigTicket is a pretty well-respected poster

Maybe it's just me but the foul in the OP didn't seem that hard, Mo Evans just got unlucky and took a bad fall.
BigTicket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 08:28 PM   #30
ReturnOfJimi
Good High School Starter

ReturnOfJimi has an OK reputation so far

I really like the way Brad Miller is the only King in that clip still with the team.
ReturnOfJimi is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: