Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 08-23-2007, 06:32 PM   #1
mlh1981
Reds/Bengals/Cavs

mlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default has fantasy football interest surpassed actualy interest in the NFL?

I am a huge NFL team. Favorite team is the Bengals. However, I'm just not really into fantasy football. I joined a yahoo league, but I'm not really that hardcore about it I feel like I'm in the minority. Here are some questions for those who are obsessed with it:

-do you prefer fantasy football results over following the real thing? Would you still be interested in the NFL if there was no fantasy football?
-what do you do when your fantasy player is facing your favorite team in real life?
-how much money/time do you invest in it?

I know some of the people on this board (GOBB, Primetime), like both fantasy football/real. However, it seems like when I read most any preview magazine, or listen to sports talk radio, half of the talk is centered around football from a fantasy point of view. Not what Larry Johnson can do for HIS team, but what he can do for YOUR TEAM? Is this a bad thing? Or does this sort of discussion help the continued growth in the NFL? Will we ever have the day where people don't really root for actual teams anymore b/c of their own fantasy football teams? I can't really forsee that happening, but it just creates a personal problem, especially when you are investing a lot of money and your guy is going against YOUR team.

Thoughts/opinions on fantasy football in general?
mlh1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 06:39 PM   #2
Kobe24
Banned

Kobe24 is considered somewhat coolKobe24 is considered somewhat coolKobe24 is considered somewhat cool
Default Re: has fantasy football interest surpassed actualy interest in the NFL?

When I play fantasy football or any fantasy sport, I join a league with friends I know, no strangers so it has that competitive aspect in it and bragging rights are at stake.

Quote:
-do you prefer fantasy football results over following the real thing? Would you still be interested in the NFL if there was no fantasy football?

No and yes. Fantasy football just makes watching football a bit more enjoyable for me.

Quote:
-what do you do when your fantasy player is facing your favorite team in real life?

I'm a late bloomer to football so I don't really have a team. I usually just root for my favorite players( LT, Young, Reggie and Colston). You could say that I support the Saints because I sorta root for them and I try my best to have them on my fantasy team.

Quote:

No money, 5 mins a week to set up your roster.
Kobe24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 06:40 PM   #3
Mean Joe Bean
Decent playground baller

Mean Joe Bean has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: has fantasy football interest surpassed actualy interest in the NFL?

I have a lot of nerdy friends that didn't know a thing about sports in high-school. Now these dudes know every benchwarmer on every team. Fantasy sports helps a lot of people become fans..
Mean Joe Bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 06:45 PM   #4
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

GOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Joe Bean
I have a lot of nerdy friends that didn't know a thing about sports in high-school. Now these dudes know every benchwarmer on every team. Fantasy sports helps a lot of people become fans..

But it doesnt help them become educated or knowledable.
GOBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 06:45 PM   #5
Carbine
Facts Are Misleading

Carbine has decent reputationCarbine has decent reputation

Quote:
has fantasy football interest surpassed actualy interest in the NFL?

No, I think it helps the average fan open up to the rest of the football teams/other players and not only being concerned with the players on the team you root for.

When the fantasy part of the game becomes more popular than the actual game ....well, thats when you know football has turned to crap. As it stands right now it's the ideal American sport.
Carbine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 06:51 PM   #6
-primetime-

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlh1981
I would still be a die hard Cowboys fan without fantasy
Quote:
root for my team
Quote:
just $20....winner take all and I think like $40 - $60 to 2nd place
Quote:
I know some of the people on this board (GOBB, Primetime), like both fantasy football/real. However, it seems like when I read most any preview magazine, or listen to sports talk radio, half of the talk is centered around football from a fantasy point of view. Not what Larry Johnson can do for HIS team, but what he can do for YOUR TEAM? Is this a bad thing? Or does this sort of discussion help the continued growth in the NFL? Will we ever have the day where people don't really root for actual teams anymore b/c of their own fantasy football teams? I can't really forsee that happening, but it just creates a personal problem, especially when you are investing a lot of money and your guy is going against YOUR team.

Thoughts/opinions on fantasy football in general?
I think it is a great thing for the NFL...it adds alot of attention....because of fantasy football alot of people can name most team's entire starting offense minus the line....

I would watch every game regardless because I am a football junky, but I think that fantasy players watch other games due to thier players...

No queston about it, it is a very good thing for the sport
Old 08-23-2007, 07:10 PM   #7
xxxSuperStar
I Like Tacos

xxxSuperStar has an OK reputation so far

yes almost EVERY person who watched football prior to the popularity of fantasy leagues plays fantasy football with multiple teams.

On the other hand, someone like me, who rates football as their 3rd favorite sport, thinks that fantasy football is the best thing in the world and now watches as many games as he can.

I still am not a major football fan, I HATE college football, but because of the NFL fantasy leagues, I watch the NFL with interest.
xxxSuperStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 07:43 PM   #8
statman32
NBA Legend

statman32 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterstatman32 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterstatman32 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterstatman32 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterstatman32 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterstatman32 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterstatman32 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterstatman32 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterstatman32 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterstatman32 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Fantasy football just makes me want to watch random games and watch teams I don't care about. Without it, I would still be a fan of my team and I would still watch the big games.

If one of my fantasy players is up against the Cards, I root for tha Cards...but I also root for that player to do well. I guess I would hope for a high scoring game.
statman32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 12:49 AM   #9
go_blue
High school junior varsity star

go_blue has an OK reputation so far

well more people just watch football but doing fantasy make the league more fun to watch
go_blue is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: