Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 08-24-2007, 08:43 AM   #1
VCMVP1551
NBA sixth man of the year

Default Kevin Durant

What are your thoughts on him and who do you compare him to?

I think he is the best perimeter prospect since Kobe Bryant. He seems like the real deal. I've heard people call him a much taller Tracy McGrady and a shorter Kevin Garnett but I'd call him a mix of Larry Bird and Michael Jordan. He has a lot of their moves..post up fadeaway, up and under. He also has a great shooting touch which both of them had, he is a natural scorer and he has the ability to get the free throw line almost at will. Bird and Jordan were great at those things. He is the same height as Bird but he his skinny frame is similar to Jordan's build when he entered the league. He is very athletic..not near as athletic as Jordan but far more athletic than Bird and he is a very hard worker like Bird and Jordan. Durant also has a great wingspan like Jordan. Durant will make an impact right away I predict he will average 22 ppg, 6 rpg and 3 apg especially since he is the number 1 option on the Sonics. Even though Durant's natural position is small forward he will start at shooting guard next year which will be interesting because he will be the only 6'9" shooting guard and that should create problems for the players guarding him.
VCMVP1551 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 09:16 AM   #2
allball
National High School Star

Default Re: Kevin Durant

I think he has the "potential" to become one of the all-time great scorers. a taller Allen Iverson if you will. decent defender. decent rebounder and just a helluva basketball player. should be ROY this year and and an all-star by his third year.
allball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 09:55 AM   #3
OneWay
GREATEST OF ALL TIME!!

I think he's MJ, Kobe, T Mac, Iverson, Garnett, Dwight Howard, Mutombo, Magic, Bird, Baylor, West, Shaq, Wilt, Kidd, Stockton and Dirk all in one.
OneWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 10:03 AM   #4
VCMVP1551

One thing Durant hasn't shown is a lot of passing ability. Maybe that will come with time though.
Old 08-24-2007, 10:04 AM   #5
jo3y91
lebron stole my shoes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneWay
I think he's MJ, Kobe, T Mac, Iverson, Garnett, Dwight Howard, Mutombo, Magic, Bird, Baylor, West, Shaq, Wilt, Kidd, Stockton and Dirk all in one.
damn so he'll choke, speak wierd, have a mad smile, be a team player, be dominant and soft at the same time, be accused of a rape, being called uncluch and clutch and be the greatest of all time. god damn durants a machine.
jo3y91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 10:06 AM   #6
Lebron23
Most Valuable Player

I think Kevin Durant might be the next big thing i actually think that he is a combination of Larry Bird, Carmelo Anthony and a taller Allen Iverson.

I would predict that he will have a very memorable Rookie Season as he will be a huge part in the rebuilding process of the Seattle Supersonics.

In due time when some of the tough teams in the west finally have a melt down due to injuries and the retirement of their superstars.

Kevin Durant and the Oklahoma Supersonics might finally be the new face of the Western Conference.

Prediction

Rookie numbers are 21.1 PPG, 6.1 RPG, 2.1 APG
Lebron23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 10:08 AM   #7
VCMVP1551

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebron23
I think Kevin Durant might be the next big thing i actually think that he is a combination of Larry Bird, Carmelo Anthony and a taller Allen Iverson.

I would predict that he will have a very memorable Rookie Season as he will be a huge part in the rebuilding process of the Seattle Supersonics.

In due time when some of the tough teams in the west finally have a melt down due to injuries and the retirement of their superstars.

Kevin Durant and the Oklahoma Supersonics might finally be the new face of the Western Conference.

Prediction

Rookie numbers are 21.1 PPG, 6.1 RPG, 2.1 APG

Those stats seem pretty accurate. Kevin Durant reminds me a bit of Carmelo too because of his post skills and jab step. I don't really see the taller Iverson comparison.
Old 08-24-2007, 10:08 AM   #8
Kebab Stall
I am Chris Wilcox

Quote:
Originally Posted by jo3y91
damn so he'll choke, speak wierd, have a mad smile, be a team player, be dominant and soft at the same time, be accused of a rape, being called uncluch and clutch and be the greatest of all time. god damn durants a machine.
..................and, he'll be able jump out of the building, sleep with 10's of thousands of women and have amazing courtvision.
Kebab Stall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 10:43 AM   #9
brantonli
In Morey We Trust!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kebab Stall
..................and, he'll be able jump out of the building, sleep with 10's of thousands of women and have amazing courtvision.

..............Not only that, but he'll have back injury, a big toe injury, knee operations, another back injury, a finger waggling injury, HIV, 10,000 women hip injury, and he's going to be 40.2 years old?

This guy must be half-man, half machine from all the surgeries he's going to have.

------------------------
On a serious side,

I think he's going to be another Tracy McGrady. No injuries so to speak of, but he's going to post huge stats and may well be named to an all-star team in a few years, but I don't see how he'll be able to lead the Sonics to the playoffs without developing the ability to playmake, something that almost all star guards can do: Bryant, McGrady, Wade, LeBron etc. I'm just slightlyy afraid that he'll become known as a scoring machine and nothing else (rebounds, assists, steals, blocks).

Last edited by brantonli : 08-24-2007 at 10:47 AM.
brantonli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 10:51 AM   #10
qwerty
(o_0)

I think he can't bench 185 lbs.
qwerty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 10:54 AM   #11
VCMVP1551

The players he is often compared to were skinny when they entered the league too. Lets compare them.

Kevin Durant 6'9" 215 pounds
Tracy McGrady 6'6 1/4" 205 pounds
Kevin Garnett 6'10" 215 pounds
Kobe Bryant 6'5" 199 pounds
Michael Jordan 6'5 1/2" 197 pounds
Dirk Nowitzki 6'10" 237 pounds
Rashard Lewis 6'9" 220 pounds

His weight won't be a problem
Old 08-24-2007, 11:43 AM   #12
Da KO King

Kevin Durant
Best case - Dirk Nowitzki
Worst case - Keith Van Horn
Most likely case - Rashard Lewis

Durant stats projection
Rookie: 17 points 5 rebounds 2 assists on 44% shooting
Best: 26 points 7 rebounds 5 assists on 48% shooting
career: 22 points 6 rebounds 4 assists on 46% shooting
Da KO King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 11:47 AM   #13
clipps
Good college starter

Wasn't dwight howard kinda skinny when he first entered the league? Now he's huge. I wonder how good the tandem of Kevin Durant and Jeff Green will be in 3-5 years. It's amazing on how much potential the Sonics have. Oklahoma is gunna have a pretty f*ckin good team in the future. They are most likely not gunna be that good this season because the team is so young and inexperienced and they are also weak inside outside of Chris Wilcox, so they are probably gunna get a top 5-7 pick in the draft. They should use the draft pick on Roy Hibbert, DeAndre Jordan, Hasheem Thabeet, or Kosta Koufos. Out of those centers, I think Thabeet or Jordan would would suit the Sonics best because they are athletic and with Durant, Wilcox, Green, and West, the Sonics basically have the making of a run-n-gun team.

The Sonics would have tremendous depth at the PF and C positions, which will help them a lot in the west. They would have Wilcox and Jordan/Thabeet starting, a long with Petro, Thomas, and Collison, coming off the bench.

Possible 08-09 roster

C- Thabeet/Jordan - Johan Petro
F- Chris Wilcox - Kurt Thomas - Nick Collison
F- Jeff Green - Damien Wilkins
G- Kevin Durant - Wally Szczerbiak
G- Delonte West - Luke Ridnour - Earl Watson

If Durant exceeds expectations, that team that I just listed will be a FORCE. In 5 years, I can almost guarantee you all that the Sonics will be championship contenders.
clipps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 11:56 AM   #14
Aussie Dunker
Local High School Star

yerr rashard lewis seems to be a good match for durant, same sort of skill set/tools, except durant will be more aggresive, probably average between
25 - 30 points per game for a few seasons...

or a weak version of carmello...
Aussie Dunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 11:58 AM   #15
artificial
:-P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da KO King
Kevin Durant
Best case - Dirk Nowitzki
Worst case - Keith Van Horn
Most likely case - Rashard Lewis
damn on spot. Pretty good comparisons/predictions to which I agree.
artificial is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: