Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 08-24-2007, 10:10 AM   #1
mlh1981
Reds/Bengals/Cavs

mlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default relationship and "fundamental differences"

What does ISH think? Can a relationship happen/maintain if there are fundamental differences? For instance, I am kinda talking to this girl, and though I have enjoyed our conversation and such, we have some big differences. She is republican, I am democrat. She is religious, I am not. Overall, she seems very traditional compared to me, and somewhat old fashioned in her views. I mean, we get along great and can talk for hours, but can a relationship be formed/survive with differences such as these? Does anyone on ISH have an experience with this that work/failed?
mlh1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 10:25 AM   #2
apriorist
High School Starter

apriorist has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: relationship and "fundamental differences"

Ever heard of James Carville and Mary Matalin?
apriorist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 10:40 AM   #3
artificial
:-P

artificial is a pretty well-respected posterartificial is a pretty well-respected posterartificial is a pretty well-respected poster

Depends on the character of you two, rather than the differences.

There are relationships where the two involved have lots in common and they can't stand each other.

There are relationships where the differences are part of the good things, as both complement each other.

In my case the differences worked really well, as we both were open to hear the other's opinion which was almost sure to be different, and were willing to hear. Things got pretty ugly during one time when we just said "well, we're different" and didn't really take into account the other's opinion, but went back to normal. In the end we broke up, but for completely different reasons.
artificial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 10:43 AM   #4
mlh1981
Reds/Bengals/Cavs

mlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by apriorist
Ever heard of James Carville and Mary Matalin?

Haha..........yeah. Didn't think of them
mlh1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 11:13 AM   #5
det2orl
Good High School Starter

det2orl has an OK reputation so far

IMO, short term, yes. Long term, no. You can talk for hours now because its still young and you want to know everything about each other and more likely to talk about things you really aren't terribly interested in.

Although it depends how adamant each are about those subjects that you have differences in. A staunch republican will probably not coexist with a staunch democrat. If one doesn't care a whole lot then it will work a little better.
det2orl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 12:58 PM   #6
Sean77
High School JV MVP

Sean77 has an OK reputation so far

Every couple is going to have differences of opinion on one thing or another, and disagreements are inevitable when you put to people together. Conflict is part of life. What makes or breaks a relationship your approach to the conflict.

Like finances, some say finances are the #1 factor in breakups/divorces, when it's really lack of communication about each other's perspective on finances. There are couple who broke up when they had nothing, and others broke and they had millions in the bank. Conversely, you have people who came to or were born into this country dirt poor, but still together. Same with people with money. It's all about how you respond to things.

Last edited by Sean77 : 08-24-2007 at 01:04 PM.
Sean77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 02:13 PM   #7
statman32
NBA Legend

statman32 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterstatman32 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterstatman32 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterstatman32 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterstatman32 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterstatman32 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterstatman32 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterstatman32 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterstatman32 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterstatman32 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Imo, big time religious differnences could negativily affect a relationship. Maybe not now, but as you get more serious...and if you start thinking about marriages.
statman32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 02:33 PM   #8
Doomsday Dallas
we fight as MAVERICKS!

Doomsday Dallas has an incredible reputation hereDoomsday Dallas has an incredible reputation hereDoomsday Dallas has an incredible reputation hereDoomsday Dallas has an incredible reputation hereDoomsday Dallas has an incredible reputation hereDoomsday Dallas has an incredible reputation hereDoomsday Dallas has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlh1981
What does ISH think? Can a relationship happen/maintain if there are fundamental differences? For instance, I am kinda talking to this girl, and though I have enjoyed our conversation and such, we have some big differences. She is republican, I am democrat. She is religious, I am not. Overall, she seems very traditional compared to me, and somewhat old fashioned in her views. I mean, we get along great and can talk for hours, but can a relationship be formed/survive with differences such as these? Does anyone on ISH have an experience with this that work/failed?

As long as the sex is good... any relationship can survive.
Doomsday Dallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 02:47 PM   #9
Randy
NBA sixth man of the year

Randy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRandy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRandy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRandy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRandy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRandy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRandy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRandy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRandy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

I could casually date a girl who was religious but I could never marry one. The differences are just too great, from the actual marriage all the way to raising and teaching children.
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: