Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 08-24-2007, 07:23 PM   #16
AI Nuggets3
Decent college freshman

Default Re: Which 5 NBA teams have the bleakest outlook?

philly wont be bottom 5 but they wont be playoff material anytime soon either. Andre Miller is not goin to stick around.

Iggy is a great 2nd option, but his mindset is not one of a first option. he has no killer instinct.

if Thaddeus Young turns into a superstar they'll be fine, but thats a big IF.

they need a new GM and an owner that cares about the frachise.
AI Nuggets3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 08:42 PM   #17
Odenorbust
High school junior varsity star

Quote:
Originally Posted by AI Nuggets3
philly wont be bottom 5 but they wont be playoff material anytime soon either. Andre Miller is not goin to stick around.

Iggy is a great 2nd option, but his mindset is not one of a first option. he has no killer instinct.

if Thaddeus Young turns into a superstar they'll be fine, but thats a big IF.

they need a new GM and an owner that cares about the frachise.
I agree with all of this. I think being mediocre is worse then being horrible for a year and the sixers don't agree with me. I listed the sonics because there going to be realllly bad for 3 or 4 years, untill durant and green become good enough to carry them.
Odenorbust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 08:54 PM   #18
traditionone

Indiana: Murphy, Dunleavy and Tinsley. They need to rebuild, but in order to do that, they need to find a way to trade these players and not get even worse contracts back in return.

Denver: Kenyon Martin's contract is killing them right now. Huge mistake Denver made right there.

LA Clippers: If Brand doesn't stay, they got nothing. Kaman's contract isn't so great either. They're looking at a huge roster turnover a few years from now.

New Jersey: A lot of money invested in 3 players who won't get them to the Finals. When Kidd leaves, they're stuck with Jefferson and Carter taking up a lot of cap space.

New York: If Isiah Thomas stays, he just won't let all his contracts expire so he can rebuild. He will trade them for more overpaid players on bloated contracts, just like he did before.
traditionone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 09:05 PM   #19
AI Nuggets3
Decent college freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by traditionone
Indiana: Murphy, Dunleavy and Tinsley. They need to rebuild, but in order to do that, they need to find a way to trade these players and not get even worse contracts back in return.

Denver: Kenyon Martin's contract is killing them right now. Huge mistake Denver made right there.

LA Clippers: If Brand doesn't stay, they got nothing. Kaman's contract isn't so great either. They're looking at a huge roster turnover a few years from now.

New Jersey: A lot of money invested in 3 players who won't get them to the Finals. When Kidd leaves, they're stuck with Jefferson and Carter taking up a lot of cap space.

New York: If Isiah Thomas stays, he just won't let all his contracts expire so he can rebuild. He will trade them for more overpaid players on bloated contracts, just like he did before.

WTF?? Melo hasnt even scraped his prime yet, we're a young team, we have an owner that isnt afraid to go over the cap, and kmart camby and iversons huge deals are all up within 3 years.

our future is bleak?
AI Nuggets3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 09:09 PM   #20
Mathius
NBA sixth man of the year

In no particular order:

Indiana - As already mentioned, they really have no budding stars on their team. I think the players they made moves for last year might get a little better, but basically what you see is what you get. Everyone seems to be high on Granger. I've never really been a big fan. Seems to have a PF body, but height and skills of a SF. I think Jermaine O'Neal's got some questions to answer about his health.

LA Clippers - This team could turn around quick, or they could end up in the basement like they were during almost the entire 90's. Questions have come up about Livingston's health and recovery, and now they've apparently lost Brand. The Tim Thomas signing last year that was supposed to put them over the top, turned out to be a flop. Now Maggette seems to be on the block, but nobody wants to touch his contract. Mobley's value seems to decline each year.

Sacramento - No real superstar to step up. K. Martin surprised some people, and Bibby still has good skills, but he's getting up there, and trade rumors abound. The addition of some young big men and Mikki Moore still doesn't solidify the front line in my mind. Brad Miller is solid, but he's getting up there in age as well. Will Artest play? Seems I read that he was in trouble again.

Miami - This is probably the most controversial of my picks, but I don't see much to get excited about if I'm a Miami fan. Miami looked OLD last year, and they got older, signing Penny Hardaway and losing Posey. Obviously you have to wonder if D Wade will be 100%, but the biggest glaring need is the lack of any youth besides Wade and Haslem. They picked up that kid from Ohio State in a trade, but he's really an unknown as to how he'll do in the pros and plays the same position as Wade.

Heat fans have been harping about the "potential" that D. Wright has had for the last 2 or 3 seasons. Now Posey appears to be gone, and Kapono is already gone. It's put up or shut up time. Antoine Walker will play SF and possibly Penny will get some time there, but Wright should get plenty of minutes. Now he has to deliver. Unless either, Walker, Williams, or Wright has a big year, I don't see how this team gets better. Will there be worse teams this year? Yes. A lot. But I see a team on the decline, which is why I pick them for a bleak year.

Lastly, I think we have a toss up between the Bucks and Seattle.

Milwaukee- IF Yi doesn't play, this team is actually worse than last year personnel wise with the potential loss of Patterson who was a big contributer last year while guys went down. However, they have a chance to be healthy, which gives them the _potential_ to compete in the east. If Redd can play a full 82 games again, that gives them a much better shot. He seemed to be having the best season of his career last season except that he only played 53 games. Charlie V. didn't break out like some people said he would last year. The questions here for the Bucks really has to do with how they handle the Yi situation, and if they can come back from injuries. If they can handle the injury thing, they should be much improved. Otherwise it will be another long year.

Seattle - On paper you have to wonder just who is going to be their primary scorer. They seem to be loaded with potential guys, but they all play the same positions. Wally S. is a proven player in this league, but Jeff Green and Durant are both going to want some PT at his spot. Durant could also move down to the 4 a bit, but he's a bit undersized, and that makes Collison the odd man out. They appear to be stacked at PG as well, and Ridnour is in a contract year, I believe. He could end up getting moved. The biggest problem I see is glaring holes at the 2 and 5 spot. Traditionally most teams get the majority of their scoring from the 2 or 3 spot. Can Green play the 2? Wally S.? Speed could be a concern there. D. Wilkins seems to be a solid player, but I don't see him breaking out at SG. This team really depends on how well it's two draft choices do, stepping in. Otherwise Wally, Ridnour, and Collison are going to have to come up big for Seattle. Also hanging over the team's head is the ownership issues, with a potential move to OKC.

Mathius
Mathius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 09:14 PM   #21
Mathius

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBJ 4 MVP
As much as I hate to say it, Cleveland hasnt done one thing, and they look like they will be losing two of their key players (Pavlovic/Varejao) Cleveland will win 44 games, 6 seed, knocked out first round, unless they do something.

Cleveland will win around 50 games this season, but they will get kicked out of the playoffs early.

Varejo will find out that he isn't worth what he thinks he is, and he will either take the qualifying offer and become a free agent later, or he will sign another 3 year deal, which will piss me off to no end.

Pavlovic will do one of there things... either he will sign a deal that keeps him in Cleveland for a while (again probably for too much money, die Ferry, Die), take the qualifying offer and test the FA market (where I think he'll garnish some interest), or he will be part of a sign and trade.

Hughes will go down with an injury at some point. Gibson will show flashes, but I don't see him breaking out. Shannon Brown will be given a chance to show what he can do, but I just don't think he has the outside shot to surprise anyone this year.

Marshall, DJ, Snow, and Wesley will all be older, slower, and more irritating.

Mathius
Old 08-24-2007, 09:39 PM   #22
Y2Gezee
Troll spotting pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradMiller52
WTF are you talking about? Indy doesn't have as much young talent as Sac... they have Diogu who looks like a bust and Granger. The Kings atleast have Martin who is scoring 20 PPG, the 10th pick in a loaded draft, and a few decent young players.

What other young players. I don't think Kevin is getting any better, and he's all I see, and ofcourse the 10th pick isn't proven. The Pacers screwed up with the Murphy/Dunleavy trade, but atleast they have a guy in JO they can use as a huge trade bait. Sac doesn't have that player. Not to mention, I think Daniels (if healthy) has a lot more than he's shown.
Y2Gezee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 10:12 PM   #23
clipps
Good college starter

Quote:
LA Clippers - This team could turn around quick, or they could end up in the basement like they were during almost the entire 90's. Questions have come up about Livingston's health and recovery, and now they've apparently lost Brand. The Tim Thomas signing last year that was supposed to put them over the top, turned out to be a flop. Now Maggette seems to be on the block, but nobody wants to touch his contract. Mobley's value seems to decline each year.

What are you talking about? His contract is one of the best bargins in the and he also is gunna be done with his contract either next year or the year after.
clipps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 10:15 PM   #24
BradMiller52
Kings fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y2Gezee
What other young players. I don't think Kevin is getting any better, and he's all I see, and ofcourse the 10th pick isn't proven. The Pacers screwed up with the Murphy/Dunleavy trade, but atleast they have a guy in JO they can use as a huge trade bait. Sac doesn't have that player. Not to mention, I think Daniels (if healthy) has a lot more than he's shown.

We can trade Bibby+Artest too. It's not like we have NOBODY to trade and Indy has JO. He has more value than each of those players but combined it's probably similar.

I dont see why you think Kevin won't improve. It was his 1st year as a starter, he's only 24 years old, he has plenty of athleticism, he's already one of the most efficient 20 PPG scorers in the league(20 PPG on only 13 shots/game), he works harder than most players in the offseason, and he's been working on his weaknesses this offseason with ESPN's David Thorpe(ball handling and defense). It was only his 3rd year in the league and he can't improve? That's bullshit.

The Kings have a few more young players who aren't proven but have potential. Justin Williams showed some potential when he got PT despite being an undrafted rookie. At the end of the season he put up some very good numbers. He had a 15/10 game against Tim Duncan, he put up an 8/13/1blk game against Nene/Camby, he had a 10/8/3blk game against Boozer, he had a 16/11/3blk game against Gasol, and he had some other decent games. So he's shown some potential for sure.

Garcia's a little old for a 3rd year player but in his last 5 games of the season he averaged like 16/6/3/1/1 in his last 5 games of the season. He's not bad. Douby hasn't shown much but he didn't get to play much so we dunno if he'll be good or not.

Hawes was the best center available and he has a ton of post moves+a nice jump shot. Petrie's been a good drafter so I'd say Hawes and Douby can turn out to be decent. He drafted Gerald Wallace with the 25th pick 4 or 5 years ago, he picked Peja 14th over John Wallace who a lot of people wanted, he drafted Kevin Martin 26th, he got Hedo Turkoglu 16th in a horrible draft(not a great player but he was better than most of the guys taken ahead of him), and Garcia's shown signs that he'll be decent.

So you're pretty wrong when you say Indy has more/better youth than the Kings and that they don't have any young guys.
BradMiller52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 10:33 PM   #25
Odenorbust

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradMiller52
We can trade Bibby+Artest too. It's not like we have NOBODY to trade and Indy has JO. He has more value than each of those players but combined it's probably similar.

I dont see why you think Kevin won't improve. It was his 1st year as a starter, he's only 24 years old, he has plenty of athleticism, he's already one of the most efficient 20 PPG scorers in the league(20 PPG on only 13 shots/game), he works harder than most players in the offseason, and he's been working on his weaknesses this offseason with ESPN's David Thorpe(ball handling and defense). It was only his 3rd year in the league and he can't improve? That's bullshit.

The Kings have a few more young players who aren't proven but have potential. Justin Williams showed some potential when he got PT despite being an undrafted rookie. At the end of the season he put up some very good numbers. He had a 15/10 game against Tim Duncan, he put up an 8/13/1blk game against Nene/Camby, he had a 10/8/3blk game against Boozer, he had a 16/11/3blk game against Gasol, and he had some other decent games. So he's shown some potential for sure.

Garcia's a little old for a 3rd year player but in his last 5 games of the season he averaged like 16/6/3/1/1 in his last 5 games of the season. He's not bad. Douby hasn't shown much but he didn't get to play much so we dunno if he'll be good or not.

Hawes was the best center available and he has a ton of post moves+a nice jump shot. Petrie's been a good drafter so I'd say Hawes and Douby can turn out to be decent. He drafted Gerald Wallace with the 25th pick 4 or 5 years ago, he picked Peja 14th over John Wallace who a lot of people wanted, he drafted Kevin Martin 26th, he got Hedo Turkoglu 16th in a horrible draft(not a great player but he was better than most of the guys taken ahead of him), and Garcia's shown signs that he'll be decent.

So you're pretty wrong when you say Indy has more/better youth than the Kings and that they don't have any young guys.
Sacremento has a better outlook then indiana I agree. Great post. One disagreement, martin is actually right around average for a 3rd year player, if you want to see someone old for a 3rd year player, look at al thornton in a couple years (27)
Odenorbust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 10:36 PM   #26
BradMiller52
Kings fan

I meant to say Garcia, sorry my bad. He's 25 I think. But anyway glad to see you agree and thanks.
BradMiller52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 10:45 PM   #27
NugzFan
NBA lottery pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by traditionone

wow.
NugzFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 01:38 AM   #28
Mathius

Quote:
Originally Posted by clipps
What are you talking about? His contract is one of the best bargins in the and he also is gunna be done with his contract either next year or the year after.

He's in the final years of his contract, which means he's making something like 7 mil against the cap. That's a hefty number, and makes him hard to move. He also has an early termination option in '08, meaning he could go free agent after this year. So unless a team can get him to agree to a deal beforehand, again, a waste of a trade.

And he is very talented, so the clippers aren't going to just take any old expiring contract to match for him.

Mathius
Old 08-25-2007, 04:10 AM   #29
haji_d_robertas
Good High School Starter

1. LA Clippers are going to be dissapointed by another missed playoffs in the west.

2. Dallas is starting to resemble the Sacramento Kings of a few years ago, the window is closing on them. WCF exit.

3. Detroit Pistons are on their way down, expect another playoff exit and trades coming up.

4. Atlanta Hawks will not win anything until the upper management settles their major problems.

5. New York Knicks will be looking for a new coach/gm mid season

6. If Chigago blows their team up for Kobe, It won't work.
haji_d_robertas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 04:15 AM   #30
Shep
Decent college freshman

who the hell is sacremento
Shep is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: