Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 08-25-2007, 03:19 AM   #31
AtTheDriveIn
04'

Default Re: Which 5 NBA teams have the bleakest outlook?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NugzFan
wow.

Not saying I agree with the poster, but do you only post in topics relating to the Nuggets? I mean, if anyone EVER says anything bad about them, you quickly shut it down with a 'Wow, we're perfect, nothing can be said about us'. Denver isn't perfect, man. If they were, they would have gone 82-0, and won the championship in 4 games.
AtTheDriveIn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 04:16 AM   #32
WoGiTaLiA1
Local High School Star

No real order...

Indiana - Jermaine wants out. Granger is a very good role player, Battier type. Other than that they really dont have anything and Bird hasnt shown any real ability, Donnie Walsh has been all but forced out.

Orlando - Now locked into Dwight Howard completely. Shard is a solid role player but thats it. He scores and does nothing else for a team and he is being paid as much money as anyone in the NBA. Basically Dwight and Shard occupy all the cap. They have no young frontcourt guys other than Dwight, whoever replaces Battie isnt going to be any better. Best player left for nothing. Nelson is a guy that I dont see staying, seems lost in the shuffle a bit. No young guys with any potential.

The biggest thing though is their management. They have proven over an extended period of time a very high level of ineptitude. They have literally not drafted one player who figures to contribute ever and their FA moves reek of desperation, not thought. Will be mired in mediocrity unless Howard can become Shaq and even then you still need a support cast and Howard doesnt look half as good as Shaq at the same ages.

New Jersey - Hard to see them contending in the east anymore and they really dont have any young talent. Williams looks like he can be solid, but they have nothing else. No cap room. Just stuck in the middle which is what leads to a long time at the bottom.(See GS or ATL in the mid 90's)

Denver - The pieces dont fit. No PG is a big problem for Karl as coach. Iverson, Camby and Martin all look done or very close. Melo is a stud and Nene is finally showing something but I dont like the mismatch of pieces. Do they want to play tough defense(Martin, Nene and Camby) or are they trying to outscore everyone(Melo, AI, JR Smith) they just have a bunch of talent that really doesnt fit at all. Cant have half a team that cant score but defends and the other half doing the reverse.

New York - Stuck. I like Randolph. That is pretty much it. Contracts have them thoroughly bogged down. Isiah cant see it. This is the 4th team on my list that has poor GM work. It is a massive trend.

Philadelphia - They have a solid PG who will cause them to win too many games. Iggy is a top of the line roleplayer and he has the most potential on the team. Really like the Thad Young pick but they literally have all their eggs in his basket and nothing else. Could be awful for a long time.

Close - Clippers, Lakers, Cavs, Wizards and Houston.

Different reasons for all those but all have doubtful management. I cant see Yao staying healthy, no one his size ever has and he has already shown some serious reasons for concern, TMac is just soft and will miss a lot of games because of it and they dont really have anything else. Cavs are locked into a very old team, LeBron is literally all they have, looks like Orlando with Tmac, Toronto with Carter etc... Lakers have Kobe wanting out but all they have is Bynum, who could be good but is all they have. Wizards and Clippers have bad history and are just average teams with no hopes of improving. The kind that gets weak picks but isnt winning a title.

Boston and San Antonio have genuine chances to win titles over the next 3-5 years. You cant do anything to plan past that anyway, thats when both will have cap room most likely and be able to go after guys like Howard and Bron. Given they will be good now, I dont include them.
WoGiTaLiA1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 05:03 AM   #33
clipps
Decent college freshman

I know the Clippers are gunna be pretty bad this season, but their future is the opposite of bleak. In fact, the worse they do this off-season, the better their future would be. If they some how make the playoffs, they get a low draft pick, no one special, they lose Cassell and most likely Maggette next season.

On the Maggette thing, mathis. I'm getting what you are saying. If the Clippers want to trade him, they should wait till next summer when he opts out, they can work on a s&t deal and get someone much better in return than they would get right now.

If the Clippers have a sh*tty season like expected and get a top draft pick, it opens new possibilities for the future. And if the Wolves do better than expected, thus getting #11 or worse, it'll belong to the Clippers and they can draft yet another talented prospect, suddenly making the team younger with more talent, and a lot more potential than they did in the past.

A lot of it depends whether EB stays or not. If EB leaves, the Clippers can eventually find a big man to replace him. But when the Clippers rebuild, they would be better off with EB's veteran presence and solid post play instead of finding another young player.

An option next season is to just let Maggette go for nothing take another chance at Gilbert Arenas. If the Clippers can get him signed, I guarantee you EB will stay. EB is very loyal to this team and he'll stay here for life as long as the organization does whatever possible to improve the team. I doubt the Wolves will do good enough and I'm sure they are gunna make sure they keep their pick this year as they can make plenty of damage next summer. If the Clippers get a high pick, obviously go for Mayo or Rose. But if they do better than expected or if they get screwed in the draft, take a shot at Derron Collison.

Possible line-up for the 08-09 season

C- Chris Kaman
F- Elton Brand
F- Al Thornton
G- Gilbert Arenas
G- Rose/Mayo/Collison*

My wish is that the Clippers get the #1 pick, use it on Rose or Mayo, and the Wolves get the 11th pick and Chase Budinger somehow drops and the Clippers draft him, giving the Clippers a talented young trio in Rose/Mayo, Budinger, and Thornton to build around. Clipper let Maggs go for nothing, a long with Cassell's contract expiring and use the capspace to fill the bench up with vets.

C- Chris Kaman
F- Elton Brand
F- Al Thornton
G- Chase Budinger
G- Rose/Mayo

That team would be very exciting to watch and wouldn't take too long to bring the Clippers back to the playoffs.

This post might sound like a lot of "blah blah blah..." but it just shows the possibilities the Clippers have as soon as next summer.
clipps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 06:49 AM   #34
Manute for Ever!
Bol'd over

Quote:
Originally Posted by haji_d_robertas
6. If Chigago blows their team up for Kobe, It won't work.

As a bulls fan, this terrifies me. I would much rather have a young core that can grow together, rather than a single player who can't lead his team. They just need a decent PF, not Kobe.
Manute for Ever! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 07:02 AM   #35
wally_world
M0derator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odenorbust
thoughts?

1. Indiana- practically the only good players they have right now are Granger and O Neal, and Jermaine isn't even a superstar quality player right now
2. Sacremento- They need to blow it up NOW or they will have a long recovery time
3. Seattle-There a guranteed team not to qualify for the playoffs for 3 or 4 years.
4. Boston- They have 2 years of contention left, and then there probably going to be consistently one of the worst teams in the NBA for 6 or 7 years
5. Philadelphia- Besides Iggy, they really don't have much promise. Dalembert has improved much, and with Billy King and Ed Snider running the team, it's kind of scary to think how they can screw up the cap space that's going to arrive in a bit. They could have ended there rebuilding by tanking last year and possibly getting Oden OR Durant, but instead they choose the path of mediocrity.

And Statman, I have been thinking for the past few minutes about this, I don't like going off the top of my head with a piss poor list

yeah i pretty much agree with your list... but with the current Boston potential i wouldn't put them in the list for these 2 years... maybe add in Clippers...
wally_world is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 11:37 AM   #36
Mathius
NBA sixth man of the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by haji_d_robertas
2. Dallas is starting to resemble the Sacramento Kings of a few years ago, the window is closing on them. WCF exit.

I actually agree with this. I think it's time for Dallas to blow up their roster. Terry and Stackhouse are getting up there, particularly Stackhouse. He isn't going to have much value left in a season or two. The Mavs should move him while he's still worth something. Same with Terry.

I don't get to watch much WC games and I don't follow the Mavs, but it seems to me that Dirk is getting close to wearing out his welcome as well.

Devin Harris has a rep for being one of the fastest guys in the league, but how good is he really? Howard is a bright spot, but I'm not sure he's a #1 guy. We'll see.

Things could start to go badly for Dallas if they have a regular season like their post season last year. I actually thought they were a better team two years ago when they went to the Finals. They traded away a bunch of nice roll players, like Marquis Daniels, and Adrian Griffith, and didn't resign Keith Van Horn, and I think those moves hurt them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoGiTaLiA1
No real order...
Orlando - Now locked into Dwight Howard completely. Shard is a solid role player but thats it. He scores and does nothing else for a team and he is being paid as much money as anyone in the NBA. Basically Dwight and Shard occupy all the cap.

Wow. Did you just call a 28 year old 22/7 guy a role player? Nice.

Quote:
Cavs are locked into a very old team, LeBron is literally all they have,

Cavs future looks bleak now, but if we can get rid of Ferry and Brown, we stand to loose 15 mil off the books after 2008. (Snow, Marshall, DJ, and Gooden all come off the books). Z could very well retire by then as well. That gives us a hell of a lot of money to play with, and potentially we could trade any one of those contracts beforehand for cap space.

Lebron's contract isn't up until after 2009, so if we could throw some key pieces together that off season, it should be enough to keep him.

Of course that requires someone intelligent, not Ferry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manute for Ever!
As a bulls fan, this terrifies me. I would much rather have a young core that can grow together, rather than a single player who can't lead his team. They just need a decent PF, not Kobe.

I actually disagree. The Bulls have had some fantastic drafts and are loaded with good young players. I think Sefalosha will be ready to start for a team in a few years.

If the Bulls can manage to get Kobe without giving up ALL their young guys, they could be one player away form a championship. The key is to not give up something ridiculous. I keep hearing stuff like Heinrich, Noci, Gordon, AND Deng, which is stupid. Heinrich and Gordon are borderline to make the all star game, and a lot of people claim that Deng will soon be their best player.

Mathius

Last edited by Mathius : 08-25-2007 at 11:40 AM.
Mathius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 11:59 AM   #37
ZHAKIDD532
#hellobrooklyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odenorbust
thoughts?

1. Indiana- practically the only good players they have right now are Granger and O Neal, and Jermaine isn't even a superstar quality player right now
2. Sacremento- They need to blow it up NOW or they will have a long recovery time
3. Seattle-There a guranteed team not to qualify for the playoffs for 3 or 4 years.
4. Boston- They have 2 years of contention left, and then there probably going to be consistently one of the worst teams in the NBA for 6 or 7 years
5. Philadelphia- Besides Iggy, they really don't have much promise. Dalembert has improved much, and with Billy King and Ed Snider running the team, it's kind of scary to think how they can screw up the cap space that's going to arrive in a bit. They could have ended there rebuilding by tanking last year and possibly getting Oden OR Durant, but instead they choose the path of mediocrity.

And Statman, I have been thinking for the past few minutes about this, I don't like going off the top of my head with a piss poor list
Seattle has a bleak outlook? They kinda drafted some dude named Kevin Durant...
ZHAKIDD532 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 12:05 PM   #38
ZHAKIDD532
#hellobrooklyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoGiTaLiA1
New Jersey - Hard to see them contending in the east anymore and they really dont have any young talent. Williams looks like he can be solid, but they have nothing else. No cap room. Just stuck in the middle which is what leads to a long time at the bottom.(See GS or ATL in the mid 90's)

Marcus is 22
RJ is 27
Krstic is 24
Boone is 22
A. Wright is like 24
Nachbar is like 26

How is that not a young talent for the future...

Marcus is really talented and is learning from one of the best.

RJ has already proven to be a very good player

Krstic just keeps getting better and better

Boone is a great young finisher around the league

A. Wright is a good young slasher who plays far above average defense

Boki just speaks for himself. Great jumper, very physical, dunks over ppl like their nothing...

Oh, and I forgot, I'm not sure that drafting someone who averaged 7.5 blocks for Boston College last season matters or not. You tell me.
Old 08-25-2007, 12:24 PM   #39
adamcz
Bucks fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZHAKIDD532
Marcus is 22
RJ is 27
Krstic is 24
Boone is 22
A. Wright is like 24
Nachbar is like 26

Obviously those guys are talented or they wouldn't be in the NBA, but most other teams have more talented young players. They don't have a marquee young player like many of the other eastern teams do. Atlanta - Smith/Horford, Philly - Iguodala, Orlando - Howard, Charlotte - Okafor, Toronto - Bargnani, Milwaukee - Bogut/Yi, Chicago - lots, etc.

Antoine Wright could become a good role player, but come on.
adamcz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 01:05 PM   #40
NugzFan
College superstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtTheDriveIn
Not saying I agree with the poster, but do you only post in topics relating to the Nuggets?

depends on if i care about whats being said or not.

Quote:
I mean, if anyone EVER says anything bad about them, you quickly shut it down with a 'Wow, we're perfect, nothing can be said about us'. Denver isn't perfect, man. If they were, they would have gone 82-0, and won the championship in 4 games.

hmmm...dont remember saying that. good to see you have to revert to making up stuff and putting words in my mouth to make your point.

anyways, bash the nuggets...i never said they were perfect since no team is. however, many kids here do it for the wrong reasons. if they post crap and are stupid, im going to laugh at them. its not my fault they posted it.
NugzFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 01:07 PM   #41
NugzFan
College superstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by clipps

Possible line-up for the 08-09 season

C- Chris Kaman
F- Elton Brand
F- Al Thornton
G- Gilbert Arenas
G- Rose/Mayo/Collison*

Old 08-25-2007, 01:09 PM   #42
NugzFan
College superstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZHAKIDD532
Marcus is 22
RJ is 27
Krstic is 24
Boone is 22
A. Wright is like 24
Nachbar is like 26

Marcus is really talented and is learning from one of the best.

RJ has already proven to be a very good player

Krstic just keeps getting better and better

Boone is a great young finisher around the league

A. Wright is a good young slasher who plays far above average defense

Boki just speaks for himself. Great jumper, very physical, dunks over ppl like their nothing...

Oh, and I forgot, I'm not sure that drafting someone who averaged 7.5 blocks for Boston College last season matters or not. You tell me.

just having players young doesnt mean you have a bright future.
Old 08-25-2007, 01:12 PM   #43
Skywalker
LFC|JAYS|RAPS|VIKES

Quote:
Toronto - Bargnani

uhhh
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 02:24 PM   #44
XxNeXuSxX
The Master Debater

Quote:
Originally Posted by NugzFan

hmmm...dont remember saying that. good to see you have to revert to making up stuff and putting words in my mouth to make your point.

anyways, bash the nuggets...i never said they were perfect since no team is. however, many kids here do it for the wrong reasons. if they post crap and are stupid, im going to laugh at them. its not my fault they posted it.
You laughed and said "Wow" to someone that said signing Kenyon Martin was a mistake...
XxNeXuSxX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 10:02 AM   #45
ZHAKIDD532
#hellobrooklyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamcz
Obviously those guys are talented or they wouldn't be in the NBA, but most other teams have more talented young players. They don't have a marquee young player like many of the other eastern teams do. Atlanta - Smith/Horford, Philly - Iguodala, Orlando - Howard, Charlotte - Okafor, Toronto - Bargnani, Milwaukee - Bogut/Yi, Chicago - lots, etc.

Antoine Wright could become a good role player, but come on.
mostly all those teams only have those young players to play with now. The Nets have that plus Kidd, Carter, and Jefferson. To say that their future is bleak due to their lack of young players is just ridiculous.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: