Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-25-2007, 06:52 PM   #31
KWALI
erudite
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,112
KWALI has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Larry Bird sucks as an exec

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da KO King
I know you're opinion on Thomas as a coach so I see no point in debating that. You can not be swayed on that matter.

However, let's make the situation a Celtic one. This is a pre-KG and Ray scenario.

Paul Pierce is a free agent. Doc Rivers is the coach and while you aren't sold on his ability as a coach the improvement of the players, individually and as a group, are undeniable.

Paul comes to you and talks about how much he likes Doc. Goes so far as to say he's a father figure and wants assurance that Doc will be his coach.

Would you man up and admit you are considering other options or would you lie and say Doc is your guy, have Doc attend the re-signing press conference,
fire Doc less than a month later, and then sit there dumbfounded when it all blows up in your face?

he'd tell him to shut up and play...R.M.W.G is of the opinion that players should only play and not concern themselves wit the organization acquisitions and such....but atleast he gets points for honesty..
KWALI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 06:59 PM   #32
skillswithaz
I bust ghosts
 
skillswithaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,219
skillswithaz has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Larry Bird sucks as an exec

lol...i forgot about a few of those kblaze.

brad miller for scot pollard..ouch
skillswithaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 07:50 PM   #33
White Chocolate
5-time NBA All-Star
 
White Chocolate's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 9,621
White Chocolate has a terrific reputationWhite Chocolate has a terrific reputationWhite Chocolate has a terrific reputationWhite Chocolate has a terrific reputationWhite Chocolate has a terrific reputationWhite Chocolate has a terrific reputation
Default Re: Larry Bird sucks as an exec

Great player, great coach, horrible GM. The Pacers were a good team with Isiah Thomas as coach. They nearly upset the Nets in 2002. They won 48 games in 2003, but were upset by the Celtics. Firing Zeke was a mistake. Even though they won 61 games the following year, you could tell there was tension on the team.

It wasn't Carlisle's fault. He is a good coach and did what he could to help the team. The Pacers won 44 games, even after the brawl. My point is:


Isiah coaching the Pacers in 2004= championship
White Chocolate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 07:57 PM   #34
statman32
NBA Legend
 
statman32's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 15,399
statman32 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterstatman32 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterstatman32 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterstatman32 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterstatman32 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterstatman32 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterstatman32 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterstatman32 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterstatman32 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterstatman32 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Larry Bird sucks as an exec

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ23
Larry Bird is an racist....hes a f$cking moron
You serious? Please explain yourself and ndont just give me a smart-azz response. Calling Bird racist is farrrrr from the truth.
statman32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 08:02 PM   #35
White Chocolate
5-time NBA All-Star
 
White Chocolate's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 9,621
White Chocolate has a terrific reputationWhite Chocolate has a terrific reputationWhite Chocolate has a terrific reputationWhite Chocolate has a terrific reputationWhite Chocolate has a terrific reputationWhite Chocolate has a terrific reputation
Default Re: Larry Bird sucks as an exec

Bird firing Isiah had nothing to do with racism. He hated Zeke with a passion. Bird was friends with Magic Johnson, it's been said he broke down and cried when he found out Magic was HIV+. If you've ever seen the 1987 series between the Celtics and Pistons, it was pretty ugly, though I think most of the hatred from Boston players and fans is towards Bill Laimbeer.
White Chocolate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 08:13 PM   #36
johndeeregreen
Oh yeah, Mitch Kramer?
 
johndeeregreen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 11,620
johndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Larry Bird sucks as an exec

Some of those moves on the list aren't so much bad as just pointless.
johndeeregreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 10:30 AM   #37
Real Men Wear Green
Don't panic.
 
Real Men Wear Green's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Brighton, MA
Posts: 20,285
Real Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Larry Bird sucks as an exec

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da KO King
I know you're opinion on Thomas as a coach so I see no point in debating that. You can not be swayed on that matter.

However, let's make the situation a Celtic one. This is a pre-KG and Ray scenario.

Paul Pierce is a free agent. Doc Rivers is the coach and while you aren't sold on his ability as a coach the improvement of the players, individually and as a group, are undeniable.

Paul comes to you and talks about how much he likes Doc. Goes so far as to say he's a father figure and wants assurance that Doc will be his coach.

Would you man up and admit you are considering other options or would you lie and say Doc is your guy, have Doc attend the re-signing press conference,
fire Doc less than a month later, and then sit there dumbfounded when it all blows up in your face?
I'd probably say something complimentary but non-committal about Thomas, so that O'Neal went away thinking that Thomas had a chance, but no guarantee. I agree with you that lying about Thomas's future was wrong of him, but one of Bird's duties as an executive is to secure the best coach he can for his team, which he did to the best of his ability.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KWALI
he'd tell him to shut up and play...R.M.W.G is of the opinion that players should only play and not concern themselves wit the organization acquisitions and such....but atleast he gets points for honesty..
My opinion isn't that simple. I believe that players generally should honor their contracts but there are times when a player is justified in voicing a complaint. O'Neal, in this instance, had every right to speak his mind. He was (as far as any of us know) lied to when he signed his deal, and that isn't right.

Just don't go Vince Carter about it.
Real Men Wear Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 08:26 PM   #38
KWALI
erudite
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,112
KWALI has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Larry Bird sucks as an exec

Quote:
Originally Posted by Real Men Wear Green
I'd probably say something complimentary but non-committal about Thomas, so that O'Neal went away thinking that Thomas had a chance, but no guarantee. I agree with you that lying about Thomas's future was wrong of him, but one of Bird's duties as an executive is to secure the best coach he can for his team, which he did to the best of his ability.

Not sure abut that...but I would take Carlisle over Thomas in a open situation where I am picking coaches without knowing who the personnel would be....But on that team not sure Carlisle is better. Carlisle would be better on the current Knicks though.

Quote:
My opinion isn't that simple. I believe that players generally should honor their contracts but there are times when a player is justified in voicing a complaint. O'Neal, in this instance, had every right to speak his mind. He was (as far as any of us know) lied to when he signed his deal, and that isn't right.

Just don't go Vince Carter about it.

Why bring up Carter?
KWALI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 08:58 PM   #39
Real Men Wear Green
Don't panic.
 
Real Men Wear Green's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Brighton, MA
Posts: 20,285
Real Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Larry Bird sucks as an exec

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWALI
Not sure abut that...
I am. I'm actually not sure what Carlisle would do with this Knicks team, though. Carlisle is all about tough D, and that won't be a trademark of these Knicks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWALI
Why bring up Carter?
Quitting beeyotch.
*Innocent whistling*
Real Men Wear Green is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:27 PM.




NBA Basketball Forum Key Links:
InsideHoops Home
NBA Rumors
Basketball Blog
NBA Daily Recaps
NBA Videos
Fantasy Basketball
NBA Mock Draft
NBA Free Agents
All-Star Weekend
---
High School Basketball
Streetball
---
InsideHoops Twitter
Search Our Site















Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy