Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 08-27-2007, 12:12 PM   #16
jerky10
Decent playground baller

jerky10 has not been impressing people
Default Re: How Much Is Ben Gordon Worth??

Around $12M.. The Kings sorta overpayed Kevin Martin.. He worth only around $8-9M..
jerky10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 12:16 PM   #17
johndeeregreen
Oh yeah, Mitch Kramer?

johndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
He is a decent defender
Ben Gordon is a straight up bad defender. He's jacked, but he's just too small to deter decent wing players. He has been working on it according to Skiles but even "decent" is probably too much to be saying right now.

He's worth less than Hinrich and Deng, that's for sure.
johndeeregreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 01:17 PM   #18
Kblaze8855
Titles are overrated

Kblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Hes an average defender now. But an average defender often put in bad positions.

Most of the 6'1'' or 2 guards in the league are not better man to man when guarding bigger players who post them up. Man to man none of these people in his size range play better straight up defense:

Iverson
Bibby
Nash
Ridnour
Parker
Jason Williams
Jason Terry
Damon Stoudamire
Atkins

And most(if not all of them) are starting level small guards and that isnt close to all of them. Just a brief list. And most as you see are pointguards.

Ben is not a guy to put on the big guards who can post him up. Guarding guys in his size range hes about average now. But starting in a backcourt with Kirk hes often put in poor positions. When Kirk is on the teams best big guard Ben is usually fine unless the second best scoring guard is someone like Jason Kidd who kills him in the post or Jrich and Steven Jackson who are too big for him.

Guarding people he should be guarding hes average.
Kblaze8855 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 01:35 PM   #19
otmtheshank
Good High School Starter

otmtheshank has an OK reputation so far

Ben Gordon fits in with the Bulls perfectly. He's their most consistent offensive player, and can score with great efficiency. His defense is below-average, and he is undersized for his position, but with Kirk Hinrich in the backcourt with him, those two factors don't matter much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kblaze8855
When Kirk is on the teams best big guard Ben is usually fine unless the second best scoring guard is someone like Jason Kidd who kills him in the post or Jrich and Steven Jackson who are too big for him.

I think Kblaze summed it up perfectly. Hinrich will always cover the other team's best offensive player. Meanwhile, Ben will only be counted on to guard the other guard. Making his defense almost a non-factor.

Very few teams in the league have 2 amazing offensive backcourt players. The only teams that will burn the Bull's starting backcourt will be teams like New Jersey and Detroit(who have 2 star guards) and teams like Houston who have a larger shooting guard that neither Kirk or Ben can cover. When a situation like that occurs, Thabo can step in and play about 20-25 mins a game.

I think he's worth about 8-11 million/a season.
otmtheshank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 01:42 PM   #20
otmtheshank
Good High School Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by final.wrath
Why have the Bulls insisted on developing Gordon as a SG? Are his PG skills really that bad?

They have Kirk Hinrich running the offense. Kirk lacks great decision-making skills, but still has better PG skills than Ben could ever develop.
Old 08-27-2007, 01:42 PM   #21
Crazy Style
Bulls official mod

Crazy Style has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndeeregreen
Ben Gordon is a straight up bad defender. He's jacked, but he's just too small to deter decent wing players. He has been working on it according to Skiles but even "decent" is probably too much to be saying right now.

He's worth less than Hinrich and Deng, that's for sure.

Not everyone is a good defender, but atleast the Bulls have a solid defender in their backup SG, Sefolosha!

I think Deng is the best all around player on the Bulls, all he's missing is consistancy at the three, but other than that he's pretty good at defense, his athleticism is impressive and he's easily one of the top 5 best mid range shooters in the league period. So I think Deng is worth around 12 mil while Gordon should get not much more than 10 mil.
Crazy Style is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 01:48 PM   #22
geeWiz15
Quality Posts™

geeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation here

I'd offer him 8 mil a year.

Cause think about it. he's not going to get offered any more than that is he? BG is not a player that fits in with most teams. And hardly any teams have cap room. Just offer him a couple mil over the MLE and he'll have to accept because teams with cap room won't want him. Heck, I wouldn't blow 10 mil of cap room on Ben Gordon, would you? I'd rather keep the cap room another year or sign 2 roleplayers. BG is very hard to justify giving a starting spot to on almost all teams. He's too small and all he can do is score and his defense can be a liability at times (both of these facts are almost exclusively due to him being undersized, but that's how it is, sorry to say).
geeWiz15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 01:50 PM   #23
Kblaze8855
Titles are overrated

Kblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I doubt Ben will ever be a real point...but until his 48 point(about 25 in the 4th/ot) murder of the Bucks the 2 best all around games I ever saw him play were as a point. The first was also vs the Bucks. He came out and played point almost the entire first half and got 22 points and 9 assists by halftime. Ended up with 37 points and shot 15/25 as he played more at the 2 for the reast of the game which was a blowout win.

Hes got it in him. I just wouldnt plan for it. If hes gotta play there for a game or two though...im not worried.
Kblaze8855 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 02:08 PM   #24
geeWiz15
Quality Posts™

geeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation here

From what I've seen, Gordon has the worst court vision I have ever witnessed. When I watch Bulls games he seems to miss play after play after play. Am I mistaken?
geeWiz15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 02:20 PM   #25
Patrick27
Good High School Starter

Patrick27 has an OK reputation so far

It's supply and demand. Right now, Chicago doesn't have to offer much because the market doesn't demand it, and he'll just end up testing free agency when his deal expires. Chicago can re-sign him then, after he's worked his tail off this year for a new contract.

Chicago's in a good situation with him right now...
Patrick27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 02:26 PM   #26
Dengness9
Homecourt: Hell

Dengness9 has an OK reputation so far

He doesn't have great court vision but he doesn't have horrible court vision either, you were being a little strong there. Whoever posted that its hard to jusitfy BG starting on most NBA teams is horribly mistaken. If he plays 35 to 40 minutes he will give you atleast 25 points. His defense is shaky but he is just too potent offensively. To all BG doubter, ******, etc., just wait for this season when everyone is trying to key on Luol Deng, and then remember that BG is the true offensive weapon in the Bulls arsenal when he drops 30 to 40 time again, it's gonna happen. Is it doesn't matter much to me how much Paxson gives Gordon, because he has the cash to resign both BG and Luol and that's all that matter's to me.
Dengness9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 02:31 PM   #27
PK3434
Good Golly!

PK3434 has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeWiz15
From what I've seen, Gordon has the worst court vision I have ever witnessed. When I watch Bulls games he seems to miss play after play after play. Am I mistaken?

Yeah, you are mistaken. Gordon has good court vision...Sometimes he makes lazy passes but he has good court vision and great basketball instincts.
PK3434 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 02:40 PM   #28
xxxSuperStar
I Like Tacos

xxxSuperStar has an OK reputation so far

Quote:

Cause think about it. he's not going to get offered any more than that is he? BG is not a player that fits in with most teams. And hardly any teams have cap room. Just offer him a couple mil over the MLE and he'll have to accept because teams with cap room won't want him. Heck, I wouldn't blow 10 mil of cap room on Ben Gordon, would you? I'd rather keep the cap room another year or sign 2 roleplayers. BG is very hard to justify giving a starting spot to on almost all teams. He's too small and all he can do is score and his defense can be a liability at times (both of these facts are almost exclusively due to him being undersized, but that's how it is, sorry to say).

Well, the Bulls JUST signed Nocioni for 8 million a year and Hinrich is getting 11, so he's going to demand at LEAST as much as Hinrich.

The thing is the Bulls CAN'T, in many ways, afford to lose him. As I said before, 20+ ppg G's are rarer than you think. Only 9 guards score more in th league. Despite his size, I'd venture to say LOTS of teams would love to add a scorer like Gordon.

As K-Blaze said, he isn't a bad defender, just an undersized one. All in all, when you watch Bulls games, you find it isn't that much of a liability as the Bulls have great rotations and one of the best team defenses in the league. The Bulls defense is the LEAST of my worries.
xxxSuperStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 02:43 PM   #29
otmtheshank
Good High School Starter

Quote:

He isn't nearly as one-dimensional as he was when he came into the league. He actually showed this year that he has a wide array of unpolished skills. He's shown plenty of potential of becoming a good playmaker. Occasionally, he and Thabo will play together, and Ben will be running the point to a decent degree of effectiveness. If he was a point guard, he'd have average court vision, but saying the worst ever is a long stetch. I'd give him a starting job(or at least 30-35 minutes coming off the bench) on practically every team in the league.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: