Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 08-27-2007, 12:35 PM   #1
kumquat
College superstar

Default T-Mac under Adelman?

Few questions about t-mac.

How much(if any) of T-Macs regression since orlando can be put down to Jeff Van Gundy? Is it injuries? Is it a mismatch with yao? Will there be an upsurge this year under a new coach?
kumquat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 12:37 PM   #2
EuJazz
Local High School Star

Default Re: T-Mac under Adelman?

Nagging injuries + lack of testicles = Successless.
EuJazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 12:45 PM   #3
brantonli
In Morey We Trust!

IMO T-Mac cooled down from his Orlando days because:

1. There was suddenly a great big, 7'6 guy in the middle which meant that T-Mac constantly attacking the basket needed Yao to move around the floor quickly, which he isn't suited for.

2. Injuries. I think T-Mac himself said that he was more cautious on playing aggresively when the back injuries occurred, I remember a highlight reel where Luther Head threw up an alley-oop a bit too high, McGrady finished it anyway but he had to take himself out afterwards.

3. Starting to act slightly his cousin Vince Carter. Too often settles for jumpers. It's just frustrating to see him bring the ball up the court and immediately jack up a three, of course when it goes in we all cheer, but when it does it just seems a wasted possession. Afraid of attacking the basket now, and of course this is related to the injuries.

4. Jeff Van Gundy's basketball style of grinding it out required more jumpshooting rather than isolation plays. However, McGrady himself has said that he was given freedom to do what he wanted on the court by JVG, which makes me think that when McGrady is on floor, he's all too willing to defer to Yao, which slows up everything. When he does try iso plays however, it often results in an amazing crossover followed by a contested, rim-clanking jumpshot. Plus he tries to go for circus shots instead of jumping up high for the dunk, again afraid of injuries.

5. More options on offense. Ok, it's more like one huge option and several sub-options, no longer does he have to score 40 a night to win the ballgame, now he can score 20 and 10 assists and still win.

6. As to Rick Adelman coming in, I'm excited because he's never had this kind of superstar on his teams before, an atheletic 6'8 with skills of a PG. I would predict his assists to go up, and hopefully with a lot of highlight reel alley-oops, made easier by, say, constant picks to free up McGrady. I predict his stat line for next season to be: 26 points, 5.8 rebounds, 7.0 assists.
brantonli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 12:50 PM   #4
dejordan
Mars Blackmon Lives!

i think tmac is essentially an unselfish guy and that he is happy to share the rock with yao and not force the action. to me that's the biggest change. and i agree that he's taking a lot of difficult jumpers these days. whether that's a jvg thing or a tmac thing, i'm not sure.
dejordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 12:56 PM   #5
Richie2k6
Smooth Like Butter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dejordan
i think tmac is essentially an unselfish guy and that he is happy to share the rock with yao and not force the action. to me that's the biggest change. and i agree that he's taking a lot of difficult jumpers these days. whether that's a jvg thing or a tmac thing, i'm not sure.
McGrady's shot selection isn't very good, but yeah, JVG's system forced him to take some dumb shots, too. Yao holds the ball for 10 seconds, trys to score but can't, kicks it back out to McGrady who has to hoist up a fade away 3 pointer with 1 second left on the shot clock. Just one of the many situations he's been in.
Richie2k6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 01:00 PM   #6
CakeorDeath
Local High School Star

Anybody question his motivation? Maybe I'm wrong, but whenever I watch him play it seems like he just spaces out for extended periods of time. When the game comes that easy to you, I guess it can be difficult to motivate yourself to go 100% all the time, though that probably also has something to do with his injury history, too.

Just seems like he lacks that killer instinct/desire to punish opponents that guys like Jordan and Kobe have. Just seems kind of chill.
CakeorDeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 01:05 PM   #7
MaxFly
Stylin' on you

I'm excited to see T-Mac under a more free flowing system again... I felt that he was somewhat limited by Van Gundy's slow it down, grind it out, make 'em pay approach. I think he will benefit from the change... I'm not sure whether Yao can play at a faster pace, but I'm sure Adleman will find ways to accomodate his skills and his size.

Man, it's going to be a pleasure to watch Franchise and T-Mac in the backcourt...

Hopefully, Mac's health holds up. That could be a season killer.
MaxFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 01:14 PM   #8
el_locoteee
Decent college freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie2k6
McGrady's shot selection isn't very good, but yeah, JVG's system forced him to take some dumb shots, too. Yao holds the ball for 10 seconds, trys to score but can't, kicks it back out to McGrady who has to hoist up a fade away 3 pointer with 1 second left on the shot clock. Just one of the many situations he's been in.

Yao holds the ball for 10 seg? Have you ever watch any Rox game?
el_locoteee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 01:28 PM   #9
Richie2k6
Smooth Like Butter

Quote:
Originally Posted by el_locoteee
I never said all the time, I said once. And exaggarated on 10, maybe more like 7.
Richie2k6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 01:47 PM   #10
el_locoteee
Decent college freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie2k6
I never said all the time, I said once. And exaggarated on 10, maybe more like 7.

How many seg did a Post player need? 2seg

He get the ball in the post and if he draws double team (most of the time) then he will kick the ball out to the open man (almost never that man is T-Mac, he is always cover) more like it Battier, Rafer or Head. Then they will chose to repost or move the ball arround the perimeter for a 3 pointer.

T-Mac is the first and last choice. And with JVG he had to create for everybody and for himself over double and triple teams, with adelman I hope he will be finishing more time than not, and with the ball movement he will have more eazy buckets.

Last edited by el_locoteee : 08-27-2007 at 01:53 PM.
Old 08-27-2007, 02:14 PM   #11
eboloid
Flash Gordo

Quote:
Originally Posted by el_locoteee

You have to admit that he's very turnover-prone when he has to do anything with the ball. Among respectable C's (the few that are around nowadays), he's on a Dwight-Howard-level on coughing up the rock when he has to create anything. I love Yao, but he's absolutely useless when an opposing coach tells his team to play aggressive double-teams against him. He's not a stupid guy, but he tends to panic when put under pressure.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/stats/by...ar=season_2006

Tracy is similiar, he's wonderfully talented but he never had a flowchart/drill-sergeant coach to tell him where the ****ing ball was going to go in any ****ing situation and if you don't do what I tell you you're ****ing done for the rest of the season. JVG made him play defense, Doc Rivers... I have no idea what that dude does. I hope Adelman can make the Rockets into a good, smart, organic offensive team, he has good minds and bodies at his disposal. Coaches matter, look at what Ilgauskas did before Mike Brown came into town, compare it to the useless jumpshooter he is now.

Adelman will make the Rockets into a better offensive team and TMac will profit greatly from it.
eboloid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 02:41 PM   #12
el_locoteee
Decent college freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by eboloid
You have to admit that he's very turnover-prone when he has to do anything with the ball. Among respectable C's (the few that are around nowadays), he's on a Dwight-Howard-level on coughing up the rock when he has to create anything. I love Yao, but he's absolutely useless when an opposing coach tells his team to play aggressive double-teams against him. He's not a stupid guy, but he tends to panic when put under pressure.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/stats/by...ar=season_2006

Tracy is similiar, he's wonderfully talented but he never had a flowchart/drill-sergeant coach to tell him where the ****ing ball was going to go in any ****ing situation and if you don't do what I tell you you're ****ing done for the rest of the season. JVG made him play defense, Doc Rivers... I have no idea what that dude does. I hope Adelman can make the Rockets into a good, smart, organic offensive team, he has good minds and bodies at his disposal. Coaches matter, look at what Ilgauskas did before Mike Brown came into town, compare it to the useless jumpshooter he is now.

Adelman will make the Rockets into a better offensive team and TMac will profit greatly from it.

Amare is 2.8 TO and he doesnt face as many double and tripple team as Yao. All the center got TO, some are offensive Fouls (floping) or 3point seg Violation not all are coughing the ball. And he is one of the best players when passing the ball out of double team.

Last edited by el_locoteee : 08-27-2007 at 02:48 PM.
Old 08-27-2007, 02:57 PM   #13
L.Kizzle
ISH's Negro Historian

I think Rick should run more of a Portland Trailblazer style of the late 80's and early 90's the Sacramento from a few years ago, or he could mix the two up.

Have T-Mac in the place of Clyde getting 26/6/6 and run Yao like Webber.
L.Kizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 03:09 PM   #14
DCL
NBA rookie of the year

under adelman's offense, the whole team should score a lot more, and tmac would run more like tmac of the old. jvg's style was decent, but he was more of a grind it out, x-and-o, slow-ass-execution coach. but under adleman, it should be more freestyle and high flowing, and tmac should be forced to attack more.
DCL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 04:40 PM   #15
RIMMER
Retired ISH Legend

Why are people blaming Yao Ming for McGrady's stubborn refusal to attack the basket?
RIMMER is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: