Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 08-28-2007, 11:31 PM   #16
Mathius
NBA sixth man of the year

Default Re: Pros on team USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBlackAttack
I've been working like crazy. Plus, there wasn't much to talk about for a couple of months, there.

With the FIBA games heating up, I figured I would get back into the mix.

I'm sure I was missed. :)

Ok, but you disappeared, right BEFORE the Cavs started playing in the Finals. I had to deal with all that hate on my own, you bastard. Do you know how much crap I put up with the first week after the Spurs humiliated us? Everyone else just disappeared.

Welcome back.

Mathius

Last edited by Mathius : 08-28-2007 at 11:40 PM.
Mathius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 11:36 PM   #17
RedBlackAttack
The Paterfamilias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathius
Ok, but you disappeared, right BEFORE the Cavs started playing in the Finals. I hate to deal with all that hate on my own, you bastard. Do you know how much crap I put up with the first week after the Spurs humiliated us? Everyone else just disappeared.

Welcome back.

Mathius
LOL! That is true. I went down to the Bonnaroo Music Festival when the Spurs were up 2-0. I made a thread congratulating the Spurs on the Finals victory, because I knew it was over. I had no access to the internet for the last two games and I've been really busy with work since then.

As far as I am concerned, the Pistons series was the last one for the Cavs. I like to pretend like the Finals didn't happen, since I didn't see the final two games.

Anyway... I'm back. Haaters beware.
RedBlackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 11:38 PM   #18
Y2Gezee
Troll spotting pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da KO King
I'd rather see the college kids play. The novelty of the "Dream Team" has worn off.

I think its great and allows for some Bball enjoyment over the summer that I probably wouldn't enjoy as much if it were college players.
Y2Gezee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 11:44 PM   #19
Da KO King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y2Gezee
I think its great and allows for some Bball enjoyment over the summer that I probably wouldn't enjoy as much if it were college players.
Sorry but basketball is basketball. Your enjoyment shouldn't come from the players involved.

I'd rather see college kids cause these games mean more to them.
Da KO King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 11:57 PM   #20
AppleNader
Cornell Basketball=#1

Quote:
Sorry but basketball is basketball. Your enjoyment shouldn't come from the players involved.

even if it means they get destroyed on a regular basis?
AppleNader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 12:09 AM   #21
Lebron23
Most Valuable Player

Quote:

Prefer for another humiliating loses againts the hands of the Older, Wiser and much bigger European Teams. They already learn their lesson in the 2002 FIBA World Championship by sending 2nd tiers superstar, who do not have a feel for international game

The Pride of the USA is at stake that is why they are sending the best team possible for the competition because they know that losing this one will definitely hurt their reputation.

We all know that the Americans are the no.1 country in basketball base on the FIBA Rankings. If they lose the last 2 international tournament by sending some Collegiate Players that are no better than those scrubs in the NBA.

You can probably do the facking math and the USA will probably drop in the top 10 ranking in less than a year.

This will probably tarnished the image of Team USA as the basketball capital of the world by sending Collegiate Players, Who are just not very aware to play againts the higher level of international competition.

The reason that they are sending the best team is to bring back the Glory of Winning the Gold Medal once again for the first time since the 2000 Olympics.

Anyway here is the Value of getting a medal in an international tournament

Gold Medal 50 Points
Silver Medal 30 Points
Bronze Medal- 15 Points
Lebron23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 04:45 AM   #22
sick_brah07
National High School Star

in 3 years serbia will have a great team we might even come bak to the top of international basketball and yes i no this is very off topic lmao jus had to say it
sick_brah07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 10:25 AM   #23
FireMcFailPlease
Loserville USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by sick_brah07
in 3 years serbia will have a great team we might even come bak to the top of international basketball and yes i no this is very off topic lmao jus had to say it
nobody cares about the dirty serbs.

you have marko jaric on your team who sucks and a pos
FireMcFailPlease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 11:33 AM   #24
Darius
Good college starter

I'd rather see college kids play too.
Darius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 01:38 PM   #25
Da KO King

You guys are buying into the hype. The US had no problems in International competition before they started sending NBA players. The team won medals then just as it does now. Yes, even our college kids were good enough to play with the world’s pros. So the idea that NCAA players have no shot is just silly.

I know, you’ll now say “well they send their best and so should we now that we can”. I understand that logic but frankly don’t see the point.

Our best players make far too much money to truly care about these games. The only reason the guys are playing as hard as they are right now is because their reputation is at stake. They don’t want to be another “American failure”.

I'd rather watch guys that will live and die for the chance to represent the US. I want guys that are heart broken if the team loses. I want tears when they're on the wrong side of the final score not a look of embarrassment.

With the “Dream Team” concept you don’t get that.
Old 08-29-2007, 01:46 PM   #26
AppleNader
Cornell Basketball=#1

Quote:
You guys are buying into the hype. The US had no problems in International competition before they started sending NBA players. The team won medals then just as it does now. Yes, even our college kids were good enough to play with the world’s pros. So the idea that NCAA players have no shot is just silly.

Uh, unfortunately that's just not true anymore. Our college kids were good enough back then, before international basketball truly took off. Now, they would get destroyed. Just look at our recent record in the Pan Am games, where our college kids get beaten by weak b-squad national teams. The talent level in the NCAA is so watered down now, it's just not possible. Mike K said it himself, our NCAA athletes can no longer compete against professional caliber talent from around the world.

Quote:
"It's a game for men," U.S. head coach Mike Krzyzewski said Wednesday when asked of the difference between now and when he was head coach of the 1990 World Championship team, comprised entirely of amateur players. "College kids can no longer compete at the World Championship level -- a whole team of them -- or at the Olympic level."

http://my.nba.com/forum.jspa?forumID=400025373

Last edited by AppleNader : 08-29-2007 at 01:48 PM.
AppleNader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 01:51 PM   #27
dejordan
Mars Blackmon Lives!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki
It was our college kids playing their professionals, though, so it wasn't amateur only.

Pro vs. pro sounds fair to me. I wonder if other countries used to have crises of conscience over sending their pros out against our college boys.
forgive me ignorance, but do other nations even have college athletics in the form that the US does? i mean all these kids start playing professionally before they are even 18 over there. i wonder if an age limit might not be easier to enforce than an amatuer status. anyway i agree with you. as long as other teams are sending pros we need to send pros to compete.
dejordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 01:59 PM   #28
Da KO King

Coach K is simply wrong.

A team of top flight NCAA player given an adequate amount of time to actually become a team can still win gold. (Just grabbed an All American team from off google)

G Dee Brown
G J.J. Redick
G Deron Williams
G Eddie Basden
G Chris Paul
G Salim Stoudamire
F Ike Diogu
F Wayne Simien
F Adam Morrison
F Joey Graham
F Hakim Warrick
C Sean May
C Shelden Williams
C Craig Smith

If you telling the above roster with a few months of work together is not strong enough to compete for a medal you are nuts.
Old 08-29-2007, 02:11 PM   #29
Patrick27
Good High School Starter

Quote:
G Dee Brown
G J.J. Redick
G Deron Williams
G Eddie Basden
G Chris Paul
G Salim Stoudamire
F Ike Diogu
F Wayne Simien
F Adam Morrison
F Joey Graham
F Hakim Warrick
C Sean May
C Shelden Williams
C Craig Smith

If you telling the above roster with a few months of work together is not strong enough to compete for a medal you are nuts.

Call me nuts, but I don't think that team, before they were drafted, and with a 2-3 months' work, could win a medal. I think the international landscape is stronger than you give them credit for.

In purely my opinion:
US All-Stars w/ 2 weeks > Foreign All-Stars w/ years together > US All-Americans w/ 8 weeks.

Of course there's lots of factors to consider, but if I were an NBA ref, I'd bet on the US All-Stars...
Patrick27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 02:33 PM   #30
Sharas
Great college starter

actual team composed of college players, with sufficient time to practice and gel together (that of course would be easier than with superstars weary from 90-games season) wouldn't do bad at all in international game.

they couldn't hope to beat strongest squads like argentina and spain. but they wouldn't get destroyed against anyone either, as someone said.

and just talent-wise, they'd still be stronger than most international squads. this year you got oden, durant, jeff green, horford and so on, many guys who'll have an immediate impact in nba game. next year you've got derrick rose, OJ mayo, michael beasley and so on.
Sharas is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: