Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 08-28-2007, 07:38 AM   #1
Valiant Valor
Banned

Default You surprised Kobe's so far been the third cog of the Big 3, behind Melo and LeBron?

1A.) Melo

1B.) LeBron

3.) Kobe

I think this clearly how they order so far. Melo's scoring has been fantastic, but LeBron has probably been the best overall player.

Kobe seems to be getting credited with bringing some defensive intensity, but I like eh on that. Sure he's come out and set a tone, but he's also getting in foul trouble as well. He's been a adequate passer, but he's also turned the ball over, too.

So my question is...is there anyone out there that somehow thinks Kobe has been the MVP of this team like so many people thought he would be?

Last edited by Valiant Valor : 08-28-2007 at 07:41 AM.
Valiant Valor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 07:50 AM   #2
Sharas
Good college starter

Default Re: You surprised Kobe's so far been the third cog of the Big 3, behind Melo and LeBr

fans of only one particular player are the most useless and idiotic members of the board.

agenda is visible from the orbit around earth.

*waits for poseidon to come in and start a nutriders flame war*
Sharas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 07:53 AM   #3
Darsh
National High School Star

Default Re: You surprised Kobe's so far been the third cog of the Big 3, behind Melo and LeBr

I think Jason Kidd is a freakin godsend. He is the total professional with years of experience and maturity, all of which the Team USA so dearly needed.

Kidd is my MVP.
Darsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 07:54 AM   #4
mongePR(kb24)
kb24 to boston

the only thing that matters is the gold medal. Jordan wasn't even the leading scorer of the original dream team.
mongePR(kb24) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 08:24 AM   #5
berraco
Darko The Ripper

Default Re: You surprised Kobe's so far been the third cog of the Big 3, behind Melo and LeBron?

I haven't followed the champ, so I can not answer but just put another question. Do you think that being the MVP will give more credit to anyone within the team? I mean, USA is basically playing against a set of bunchs, with a basketball level light years away from them. Only a couple of players in the champ can individually be compared to USA players, and maybe only Argentina will lose by 20 or less. The US players are not really being tested, so it is difficult to say who is a real MVP and, at the end, who will receive the ball when things are struggling in a close game (like can happen in the Olympics).
berraco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 08:34 AM   #6
OneWay
GREATEST OF ALL TIME!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharas

fans of only one particular player are the most useless and idiotic members of the board.

Thank you very much for that.

Anyway, I don't think Kobe cares if he's the number 1 or a number 10 option.
He wants the gold and that's all that matters.

Personally, I would have to say that Melo has distanced himself as the best player of the USA team so far while both LeBron and Kobe are doing fine as well.

Also, no matter if Kobe's a number 1 option or a waterboy but when the going gets tough, Kobe will get going and he"ll be the primary option in crunch time and everyone will want to get him the ball to take and hopefully make those big shots.

That's the way I look at it. Kobe may not be the team's best player but he absolutely will matter most in crunch time and players will rely on him to win big games.

Mexico, Virgin islands, Canada...you kidding me?

You"ll see Kobe's true value when you face teams like Spain, Greece, Lithuania etc.
OneWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 08:39 AM   #7
Sharas
Good college starter

well, what i really meant was "delusional fans of only one player who create threads with only agenda to diss other superstar players"
Sharas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 08:42 AM   #8
SoCalMike
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darsh
I think Jason Kidd is a freakin godsend. He is the total professional with years of experience and maturity, all of which the Team USA so dearly needed.

I do like the maturity and stability that he brings to this team. He has made a huge difference.

SoCalMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 09:40 AM   #9
jbot
Future D1 Dad

Default Re: You surprised Kobe's so far been the third cog of the Big 3, behind Melo and LeBron?

i'm glad to see kobe not trying to outshine everybody else and playing his role on the usa team. melo is a scoring machine and is making scoring look effortless, not to mention his rebounding.

as for kidd, the tempo is raised to another level when he's on the floor.
jbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 11:34 AM   #10
Knoe Itawl
Bringer of Light

Kobe's flaws really become apparent in this type of setting. The guy is just not happy if most of the shine isn't on him, and he's going to try to get his points no matter what. Even if it means shooting a poor percentage. Why? Because he knows that as long as he can throw down one good dunk a game and make a flashy reverse layup, and end up with 40 points (or 20+ in FIBA) his fans won't care about how much he forces stuff.
Knoe Itawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 11:42 AM   #11
Cannonball
Lets GO PENS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valiant Valor
1A.) Melo

1B.) LeBron

3.) Kobe

I think this clearly how they order so far. Melo's scoring has been fantastic, but LeBron has probably been the best overall player.

Kobe seems to be getting credited with bringing some defensive intensity, but I like eh on that. Sure he's come out and set a tone, but he's also getting in foul trouble as well. He's been a adequate passer, but he's also turned the ball over, too.

So my question is...is there anyone out there that somehow thinks Kobe has been the MVP of this team like so many people thought he would be?
Melo is the scorer. Kobe role is a defensive stopper and a shooter/distributor. LeBron is the all around. Scorer/Distributor/Play D/Grab some boards
Cannonball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 11:46 AM   #12
John Starks
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knoe Itawl
Kobe's flaws really become apparent in this type of setting. The guy is just not happy if most of the shine isn't on him, and he's going to try to get his points no matter what. Even if it means shooting a poor percentage. Why? Because he knows that as long as he can throw down one good dunk a game and make a flashy reverse layup, and end up with 40 points (or 20+ in FIBA) his fans won't care about how much he forces stuff.

Lets be fair - he's shot over 50% in every game before the Mexico game (where he shot 5-13 - approx 37%). Kobe led the team with 13 shots. Redd also had 13 shots, but hit 7 of them.

Not sure what this does to the argument that Kobe wouldn't shoot so much with better teammates -- but itas only one game and old chucking habits die hard.
John Starks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 11:54 AM   #13
dejordan
Mars Blackmon Lives!

i have loved watching kobe's defensive intensity and his long range bombing. he forced a little too much in this last game and didn't get star nba calls, but he's been working his butt off on the other end so i don't mind.

lebron has been a nice hustler too. he's thrown some dangerous and unnecessary lookaways where simple direct passes would work, but other than that, he's been great.

melo just gets international play. he knows how find open spots in the zone and he makes up his mind on the catch and attacks quickly.

i also think kidd's ability to push the pace and keep the ball moving are being overlooked since they are largely invisible on the stat sheet.
dejordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 12:14 PM   #14
Knoe Itawl
Bringer of Light

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Starks
Lets be fair - he's shot over 50% in every game before the Mexico game (where he shot 5-13 - approx 37%). Kobe led the team with 13 shots. Redd also had 13 shots, but hit 7 of them.

Not sure what this does to the argument that Kobe wouldn't shoot so much with better teammates -- but itas only one game and old chucking habits die hard.

Starks with the Bryant defense?!?

At any rate, there really was no reason for him to force as much as he did last night. Just keep the ball moving. The only reason I can come up with for it is that Melo (and Bron to an extent) were putting up numbers/getting highlight reel plays and there's only so much of that Kobe is going to take before he nees to get in on the act. He can only play nice for so long.

And he wouldn't shoot better with better teammates because he forces too much stuff. It's not like he shot 50+% with prime Shaq on his squad.
Knoe Itawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 12:20 PM   #15
bleedinpurpleTwo
Another Laker Dynasty?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valiant Valor
1A.) Melo

1B.) LeBron

3.) Kobe

oh good lord. this is just ridiculous.
some of you guys are really just absurd.
bleedinpurpleTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: