Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 08-29-2007, 12:21 PM   #61
Carbine
Facts Are Misleading

Default Re: It's Official the bucks signed Yi

Quote:
Man their frontcourt is going to be sexy, Charlie V, Chinaman, Bogut, that's nice. They all compliment each other well: Bogut is probably the best passing big man, Chinaman is a sweet shooting big who can stretch the defense, Charlie V can hit the Jay and has some post game... Nice young frontline

...and not a breath of defense. Unless Bell turns into Gary Payton, and Redd into Jordan on defense that team can expect to get lit up for 100+ on a consistent basis.
Carbine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 12:28 PM   #62
artificial
:-P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interminator
You know damn well Yi was forced to enter the draft last year,the same way they forced Yao to enter the 1999 NBA Draft but he didnt do it

The only sport where it takes to talent to be on the team is in the MLB and Euro soccer
NBA acts like it takes whomever but once a player gets in any hot water unless they are an all-star they'll find their way out of the NBA by the end of the season
you certianly know David Stern is going to crack down Godell-like on the NBA with its integrity being challenged now by cheating ass refs among other distractions
No I didn't know Yi and Yao were forced into the drafts. I thought anyone who plays basketball dreams of entering the draft. I guess it was some kind of imposition of the chinese government?

And I can't clearly see the relationship between the "talent to be on the team" argument and Yi's people's god given right to choose where he should play.
artificial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 12:35 PM   #63
adamcz
Bucks fan

Just to clarify artificial, there is no way into the NBA without going through the draft. International players can declare any time they want, but they're automatically entered when they turn 22. The only international free agents are the ones older than 22.

But your point still stands - nobody forces you to join the NBA if you don't like NBA rules.
adamcz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 12:38 PM   #64
Optimus Prime
:\

You mean I can't go see MJ in Charlotte and have him sign me up for the 'Cats?

Thanks for ruining my dreams, adamcz!

Seriously though, I never knew you HAD to be drafted to enter the NBA. Interesting...

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamcz
Just to clarify artificial, there is no way into the NBA without going through the draft. International players can declare any time they want, but they're automatically entered when they turn 22. The only international free agents are the ones older than 22.

But your point still stands - nobody forces you to join the NBA if you don't like NBA rules.
Optimus Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 12:40 PM   #65
artificial
:-P

Quote:
Whoa, didn't know that. So even if you don't declare for the draft -say you're a 22 year old eurobasket phenomenom that doesn't have interest to play in the NBA- your name automatically enters the NBA draft?
artificial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 12:56 PM   #66
adamcz
Bucks fan

Yeah that's how it works. But if you don't want to play in the NBA, it shouldn't bother you if some team wastes their draft pick on you. Just keep on playing in Europe as you wish.
adamcz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 01:56 PM   #67
Mathius
NBA sixth man of the year

Quote:
Yeah that's how it works. But if you don't want to play in the NBA, it shouldn't bother you if some team wastes their draft pick on you. Just keep on playing in Europe as you wish.

Yes, because otherwise the Bucks will draft you against your will and hold you hostage.

I love all you idiots who claim that Yi entered the draft, so he needs to follow the rules, but you totally ignore his right to hold out, and act like he's violating something.

Just because you entered the draft doesn't mean you have to sign a contract. It just means that whatever team selected you has your rights. If you want to hold out and see if your rights are traded, you have that right.

And it happens more times than you guys want to admit with Euro players. It just doesn't get publicized because they're usually either not high profile players, or they're stuck in a bad buy-out situation.

Mathius
Mathius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 02:02 PM   #68
final.wrath
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimus Prime
Seriously though, I never knew you HAD to be drafted to enter the NBA. Interesting...

You don't. Ben Wallace was undrafted. So was Nocioni, Calderon, Oberto, ect. Everyone is eligable to be drafted at some point though.
final.wrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 02:07 PM   #69
MTing
Where Brooklyn at?

Good its finally over.
I thought they were gonna start world war III over Yi

jk
MTing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 03:11 PM   #70
Da KO King

Things I found amusing about this whole situation...

1 - The venom spewed at Yi by "fans". Kobe Bryant, Steve Francis, Eli Manning, etc never had this much vitriol tossed their way.

2 - People knocking Yi for not having competitive workouts. Most elite prospect don't. For elite prospect the workouts are either with a fringe player trying to make the NBA or solo drill work.

3 - The fact that everyone has magically forgotten that Yao Ming and his handler's did the same thing as Yi and his people. Yao also had a list of cities he was interested in. Houston was added to the list once they received the top pick.

4 - That so many people did not know that once a player turns 22 he's automatically entered into the draft. That's why when you look at prospect list they have a section for EARLY ENTERIES.
Da KO King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 03:23 PM   #71
RIMMER
Retired ISH Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzle-2k7
props to the Bucks for sticking through this and not listening to his demands.

if you draft a player, he's yours.. period.

...unless his name is Kobe Bryant or Steve Francis. :rollingeyes:

Nuff' of this nonsense.
RIMMER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 03:41 PM   #72
bdreason
Game. Set. Match.

Nothing more than a roleplayer. Will never make an All-Star team. I wouldn't be shocked if he left the league within 5 years and returned to play in China.
bdreason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 03:48 PM   #73
Da KO King

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdreason
Nothing more than a roleplayer. Will never make an All-Star team. I wouldn't be shocked if he left the league within 5 years and returned to play in China.
And you base this on what exactly????
Da KO King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 04:01 PM   #74
rezznor
Nosetradamus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdreason
and yet he plays better ball then you. :rollingeyes:
rezznor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 04:15 PM   #75
Make It Rain
Banned

Yi is a poor man's Kukoc.
Make It Rain is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: