Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 08-27-2007, 06:10 AM   #1
Shep
Decent college freshman

Default The Official Team of the 70's

C Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (captain)
PF Elvin Hayes
SF John Havlicek
SG Jerry West
PG Walt Frazier

C Bob McAdoo
PF George McGinnis
SF Rick Barry
SG Oscar Robertson
PG Tiny Archibald

C Dave Cowens
C Bob Lanier
Shep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 12:31 PM   #2
RainierBeachPoet
NEVER forget da SONICS

Default Re: The Official Team of the 70's

nice thread shep

while i enjoyed mcginnis and was a big fan, the homer in me also wants to consider spencer haywood in there somewhere. could also put moses malone in at pf

also, oscars best years were in the 60s-- consider pete maravich for the 70s. gervin is a tough one to leave off too
RainierBeachPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 01:41 PM   #3
Showtime
Hardwood Hero

Artis Gilmore - 70's stats 9 seasons (5 with ABA, 4 NBA):

21.6 PPG 14.8 RPG 2.75 BPG 2.98 APG FG% .558

and that includes his crappy 79-80 season.

7 All-Star appearances (5 ABA 2 NBA)

ABA MVP
ABA ROY
ABA All-Star MVP
ABA Playoff MVP
ABA Championship

All-ABA 1st team x5
All-ABA defensive team x5
All-NBA defensive team x1

Led ABA in FG% twice
Led ABA in rebounding 5 times
Led ABA in blocks 3 times

Last edited by Showtime : 08-27-2007 at 01:46 PM.
Showtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 01:49 PM   #4
LBJ 4 MVP
Sit yo ass down!

David Thompson over Bob Lanier.
LBJ 4 MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 07:05 AM   #5
Shep
Decent college freshman

Quote:
while i enjoyed mcginnis and was a big fan, the homer in me also wants to consider spencer haywood in there somewhere. could also put moses malone in at pf
definately a homer on the haywood comment. he was definately third in line for the power forward slot though. moses malone only played 3 years, the minimum for an all-decade team is 4
Quote:
also, oscars best years were in the 60s-- consider pete maravich for the 70s. gervin is a tough one to leave off too
i considered maravich, and i know robertson's best years were in the 60's. but robertson played in 5 very productive years in the 70's, was the second best player on a championship team, one of the best teams ever assembled, was the best shooting guard in '71, second best shooting guard in '70 and '72, and third best shooting guard in '73 and '74. maravich constantly played on losing teams, which is what it basically came down to. maravich was third in line for the shooting guard slot though. gervin: only 3 years
Quote:
it was actually 5 aba and 3 nba, aba doesn't count because it isn't nba and you can't compare what people do in the nba to what they do in the aba. him playing only 3 years in the nba automatically disqualifies him, excepting extreme circumstances
Quote:
David Thompson over Bob Lanier.
again; only 3 years in the nba
Old 08-28-2007, 09:59 AM   #6
disco
Great young streetballer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Showtime

21.6 PPG 14.8 RPG 2.75 BPG 2.98 APG FG% .558

and that includes his crappy 79-80 season.

7 All-Star appearances (5 ABA 2 NBA)

ABA MVP
ABA ROY
ABA All-Star MVP
ABA Playoff MVP
ABA Championship

All-ABA 1st team x5
All-ABA defensive team x5
All-NBA defensive team x1

Led ABA in FG% twice
Led ABA in rebounding 5 times
Led ABA in blocks 3 times

And add there: all time no 2 in blocks (ABA/NBA combined) and no 5 in rebounds.

Possibly the most underrated player in the league history.
disco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 10:04 AM   #7
disco
Great young streetballer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shep
definately a homer on the haywood comment. he was definately third in line for the power forward slot though. moses malone only played 3 years, the minimum for an all-decade team is 4

i considered maravich, and i know robertson's best years were in the 60's. but robertson played in 5 very productive years in the 70's, was the second best player on a championship team, one of the best teams ever assembled, was the best shooting guard in '71, second best shooting guard in '70 and '72, and third best shooting guard in '73 and '74. maravich constantly played on losing teams, which is what it basically came down to. maravich was third in line for the shooting guard slot though. gervin: only 3 years

it was actually 5 aba and 3 nba, aba doesn't count because it isn't nba and you can't compare what people do in the nba to what they do in the aba. him playing only 3 years in the nba automatically disqualifies him, excepting extreme circumstances

again; only 3 years in the nba

I think ABA stats should definitely count. Two leagues merged and while NBA kept it's name, it wasn't the same league anymore. It was a merged league. And in head-to-head comparison, the teams that originated from ABA did better than the original NBA teams in the first year after the merge and therefore saying that ABA was weaker is just believing the NBA probaganda. Until relatively recently, NBA hated the fact that ABA used to exist so much that they refused to even print ABA hiostory stats on any publications.
Old 08-28-2007, 10:15 AM   #8
skillswithaz
I bust ghosts

Willis Reed > Dave Cowens or Bob Lanier
skillswithaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 10:40 AM   #9
disco
Great young streetballer

Quote:
Originally Posted by skillswithaz

I think that both Cowens and Reed were much better than Lanier, but not sure if I would rate Reed above Cowens. Both were MVP's, won two tiles with really good teams (neither had to carry the team by themselves). Their career stats were also very similar, even though we aren't necessarily talking about similar players.
Old 08-28-2007, 10:46 AM   #10
John Starks
National High School Star

Tough to put Reed on a 70's team. His best years were really in the 60's. 4 AS appearances in the 60's, + his MVP and AS season for the 69-70 (is this a 60's or a 70's season). He only had 1 AS appearance after that (70-71) and that was pretty much his only healthy 70's season.
John Starks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 11:00 AM   #11
disco
Great young streetballer

But if we only look at what he accomplished in the 60s, he wouldn't have any titles. It's a bit tricky with players whose best years were in the end of one decade and beginning of the next one. What would you do with players like Dr J and Ewing?
Old 08-28-2007, 11:05 AM   #12
John Starks
National High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by disco
But if we only look at what he accomplished in the 60s, he wouldn't have any titles. It's a bit tricky with players whose best years were in the end of one decade and beginning of the next one. What would you do with players like Dr J and Ewing?

Its very tricky. Ewing I'd consider a 90's player. He played the whole decade, made both trips to the finals - the only thing really missing is his ROY and his late 90's were not as good as his late 80's...but Ewing is a 90's player.

..are we calling the 69-70 season the 60's or the 70's?
John Starks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 11:13 AM   #13
Shep
Decent college freshman

Quote:
Two leagues merged and while NBA kept it's name, it wasn't the same league anymore.
two leagues merged because the aba was falling apart. it had a total of 9 teams before the merge, and 3 of those 9 teams failed to make the regulation 84 games.
Quote:
And in head-to-head comparison, the teams that originated from ABA did better than the original NBA teams in the first year after the merge and therefore saying that ABA was weaker is just believing the NBA probaganda
thats funny, considering the new york nets of the aba went 22-60 the following season (worst in the nba) after going 55-29 in the aba the previous year, the denver nuggets went 50-32 after going 60-24, the san antonio spurs went 44-38 after going 50-34, and the indiana pacers went 36-46 after going 39-45.
Quote:
reed had one good season, and two good playoff runs. frazier should've won finals mvp in '73. out of 410 possible regular season games reed played 253 in the '70's, or just over 3 full seasons. cowens and lanier both played 9 seasons. lanier led his team to 2 western conference semifinals, had his best season in 1974 when when he played 81 games, averaged 22.5p, 13.3r, 4.2a, 1.4s, and 3b(4th) per game while leading his team to a 52-30 record and being third in efficiency and being the best defensive player in the game. this year he was also a top 3 player, second in the running for most valuable player, and should've been all-nba second team.
cowens was the best player on 2 championship teams, had his best year in 1973 when he played in all 82 games, averaged 20.5p, 16.2r(3rd), and 4.1a per game while leading the celtics to the second greatest record in nba history at that time, cowens was a top 3 overall player, named to the second team all-nba, and won league mvp.

these two players are easily more deserving than reed for a spot on the team
Old 08-28-2007, 11:15 AM   #14
saKf
Roy = my new fave.

[glove20]This list is awful. You're all stupid and I know way more about NBA history than you do. PS Put Gary Payton on the team.[/glove20]
saKf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 11:53 AM   #15
disco
Great young streetballer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shep
two leagues merged because the aba was falling apart. it had a total of 9 teams before the merge, and 3 of those 9 teams failed to make the regulation 84 games.

thats funny, considering the new york nets of the aba went 22-60 the following season (worst in the nba) after going 55-29 in the aba the previous year, the denver nuggets went 50-32 after going 60-24, the san antonio spurs went 44-38 after going 50-34, and the indiana pacers went 36-46 after going 39-45.

Ok, it was my memory that wasn't working. I thought the overall winning % of ABA teams was more than 50%. But even with the average winning percent of over 46%, the ABA teams did quite ok in NBA, and 2 out of 4 won more than lost and made the playoffs. Take the Nets who lost Dr J and their second best player Brian Taylor out of the equation, and all former ABA teams did actually really well.

Of course the reason for the merge was because ABA was falling apart, but that doesn't mean the level of play in ABA was weak. Yes, the last season was a catastrophe, but it was only the last season.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: