Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 08-29-2007, 08:59 PM   #31
AI Nuggets3
Decent college freshman

AI Nuggets3 has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Why is Payton coming back?

i hope he plays in the NBA for another 5 years.

as i get older, nostalgia kicks in more and more and it feels uplifting seeing someone you watched in person in 1990 still playing.

i was really hoping Reggie would come back as well. its strange seeing the guys that used to dominate struggling to hold their own against today's kids, but you still cheer for them. im a bigger fan of Payton today than i was 17 years ago just based on nostalgia
AI Nuggets3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 09:05 PM   #32
Fuhqueue
Pick and rofl offence

Fuhqueue is considered somewhat coolFuhqueue is considered somewhat coolFuhqueue is considered somewhat cool

If I could get someone to pay me actual money to play basketball, I would keep doing it until they weren't prepared to pay me any more
Fuhqueue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 10:00 PM   #33
Burgz
Banned

Burgz is popular on this boardBurgz is popular on this boardBurgz is popular on this boardBurgz is popular on this board

who cares if he comes back.
obviously isnt like the glove of old, but imagine what kind of veteran leadership he would bring to ANY team. probably wont get payed very much, but he doesnt care, he's set financially, and could be a good pickup for a team with a need of veteran leadership and 2nd/3rd point guard.

never thought id see the day where id consider GP anything other than a starter.
Burgz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 10:38 PM   #34
jazz12
Banned

jazz12 has an OK reputation so far

Why do people get caught up in career statistics so much? Like if he wants to play it hurts his career averages and somehow makes him less of a player?

If a guy averages 30 ppg and then 15 for the last 5 seasons I wouldn't put him behind a person who averaged 30ppg and retired with 5 less years to his credit. People get bent out of shape about this.

If he wants to play for the love of the game and some team still wants him what's the big deal?

Last edited by jazz12 : 08-29-2007 at 10:41 PM.
jazz12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 11:06 PM   #35
KempSonics
Local High School Star

KempSonics has an OK reputation so far

Maybe he can go to Detroit? He can backup Billups and tutor guys like stuckey. He'd still be on a contending team with players that he'd fit in with--Hamilton,Sheed,MCdyess,Billups,Prince,Hunter,Moham med,etc.
KempSonics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 11:10 PM   #36
final.wrath
Banned

final.wrath has decent reputationfinal.wrath has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by KempSonics
Maybe he can go to Detroit? He can backup Billups and tutor guys like stuckey. He'd still be on a contending team with players that he'd fit in with--Hamilton,Sheed,MCdyess,Billups,Prince,Hunter,Moham med,etc.

He would do more harm to Stuckey by taking his minutes
final.wrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 11:17 PM   #37
Burgz
Banned

Burgz is popular on this boardBurgz is popular on this boardBurgz is popular on this boardBurgz is popular on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by final.wrath
He would do more harm to Stuckey by taking his minutes
thats a very shortsighted view though.
in the long run, stuckey would benefit from having played his rookie year under a great NBA veteran, who has done it all as a guard in the NBA. So what, it would only be a year, two tops, three if he's feelin' crazy haha. i would love to have GP come to my team, i dont see why people have to take his age and current on the court ability as the ONLY factors, because they arent...
Burgz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 11:22 PM   #38
KempSonics
Local High School Star

KempSonics has an OK reputation so far

I'd make Stuckey the 3rd guard backing up both Billups and Hamilton. But Payton would be a nice 4th guard. Good insurance, would probably come very cheap and could teach Stuckey and the youngens a thing or 2 on the court. Payton would be a good fit on the Pistons.
KempSonics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 01:07 AM   #39
G-train
3-time NBA All-Star

G-train has an incredible reputation hereG-train has an incredible reputation hereG-train has an incredible reputation hereG-train has an incredible reputation hereG-train has an incredible reputation hereG-train has an incredible reputation hereG-train has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by KempSonics
I'd make Stuckey the 3rd guard backing up both Billups and Hamilton. But Payton would be a nice 4th guard. Good insurance, would probably come very cheap and could teach Stuckey and the youngens a thing or 2 on the court. Payton would be a good fit on the Pistons.
agreed
G-train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 01:13 AM   #40
final.wrath
Banned

final.wrath has decent reputationfinal.wrath has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgz
thats a very shortsighted view though.
in the long run, stuckey would benefit from having played his rookie year under a great NBA veteran, who has done it all as a guard in the NBA. So what, it would only be a year, two tops, three if he's feelin' crazy haha. i would love to have GP come to my team, i dont see why people have to take his age and current on the court ability as the ONLY factors, because they arent...

We don't need another veteran. We need our youth to develop NOW so we have a chance at contending while Rip and Chauncey are still in their prime. Keep in mind we already have Flip Murray as the third PG.

Chauncey is going to be the veteran mentor to Rodney. He's the leader of our team and we don't need Gary Payton to come in and play the role of teacher. Payton is better off going to Boston where he can get some actual playing time and teach Rajon Rondo.

Last edited by final.wrath : 08-30-2007 at 01:17 AM.
final.wrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 01:15 AM   #41
hawkfan
Jeff Teague Fan

hawkfan is starting to rub some people the wrong way

Payton ought to go up to Boston, where he can backup and help Rajan Rondo. He's certainly a better point guard than Eddie House.
hawkfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 01:18 AM   #42
FashionIssues
Smooth Operator

FashionIssues is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterFashionIssues is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterFashionIssues is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterFashionIssues is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterFashionIssues is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterFashionIssues is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterFashionIssues is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterFashionIssues is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterFashionIssues is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterFashionIssues is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterFashionIssues is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

it was mentioned already, but at best, payton should hang it up with the sonics.
FashionIssues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 01:54 AM   #43
White Chocolate
5-time NBA All-Star

White Chocolate has a terrific reputationWhite Chocolate has a terrific reputationWhite Chocolate has a terrific reputationWhite Chocolate has a terrific reputationWhite Chocolate has a terrific reputationWhite Chocolate has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFRESH44
I'll put it like this, Smush Parker is a signficant upgrade of the 2007 Gary Payon.

I wouldn't go that far.
White Chocolate is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: