Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 08-29-2007, 02:22 PM   #16
XxNeXuSxX
The Master Debater

Default Re: Official #66 NBA Player Of All Time According To ISH

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.Kizzle
You got Sidney Moncrief, Dave Bing, Adrian Dantley, Dennis Johnson, Dave DeBusschere, Connie Hawkins, ect and Paul Pierce and Vince Carter are getting votes already?

No offense to those guys, but come on! And LeBron23, Piece is only a 5 time All-Star.

Tracy Mcgrady, who has never been past the first round his entire career was voted in over 15 places ago with no numbers astoundingly over Pierce. You cannot put guys like Moncrief: a 15/4/3 guy with really good defense over a franchise player in Paul Pierce: a 25/6/5 guy who is constantly the most underrated defender in the league. I mean, Reggie freakin' Miller is already voted in. What the f*ck did he do that Pierce cannot?

Is Camby more valuable than Yao?
XxNeXuSxX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 02:25 PM   #17
Lebron23
Most Valuable Player

I vote for Adrian Dantley, one of the best scorer in the history of the NBA and probably one of the most underrated player in NBA History. He is also a former NBA Scoring Champion ( 1981, 1984) and one of the most consistent scorer in the 1980's.

A Scoring Machine who measured closer to 6'3" than his listed height of 6'5", Dantley had an uncanny feel for getting shots off in traffic. He toyed with bigger players, using his patented head-and-shoulder fake to create openings to the basket or draw fouls. Nearly a third of his 23,177 NBA points were made at the free-throw line.

Honors: All-NBA Second Team (1981, '84); NBA Rookie of the Year (1977); NBA Comeback Player of the Year (1984); NBA All-Star (1980, '81, '82, '84, '85, '86); Olympic gold medalist (1976), 2 time NBA Scoring Champion ( 1981. 1984)

Career stats:

24.3 PPG
23,117 Career Points
5.7 RPG
3.8 APG
955 Games

http://www.databasebasketball.com/pl...lkid=DANTLAD01

Last edited by Lebron23 : 08-29-2007 at 03:14 PM.
Lebron23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 02:29 PM   #18
LBJ 4 MVP
Sit yo ass down!

David Thompson for the 7th time.
Quote:
David Thompson:

Achievements/ Awards
1st overall pick in 1975 draft
Hall of Famer
ABA All-star game MVP (1975-76)
ABA Rookie Of the year
NBA All-star game MVP (1978-79)
6 All-Star games in 9 seasons.
2 All-NBA 1st teams

Career Stats
PPG: 22.1
RPG: 3.8
APG: 3.2
SPG: 0.9
BPG: 0.8

Once scored 73 points in a game vs. Detroit.
LBJ 4 MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 02:39 PM   #19
otmtheshank
Good High School Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.Kizzle
SIDNEY MONCRIEF

The first time I had seen or even heard of Sidney Moncrief was around 2000. It was on NBA TV a they were running some little 5 minute spot on him. Around 2000, I considered my knowledge about the past NBA greats to be very good but he seem to have slipped through the cracks. Sid was before my time as I started watching ball in 94, three seasons after he retired.

As I started to look at information on him, he seemed like a bad cat and he was. Brother could do everything on the court. If you needed points, (drives or jumpers) he was the one to go to. If he need a defensive stop, he was the one you called on. He was a great All-Around players. In his 11 season career, he made the three major NBA teams 5 time each.

He made 5 NBA All-Star teams from 1982 to 1986. Also those same seasons he made 5 All-NBA teams. Four All-NBA 2nd teams and the almighty All-NBA first team once. His defensive accomplishments are the complete opposite. He made 1 All-Defensive 2nd team and 4 All-Defensive 1st teams.

His team success wasn’t bad either considering he played in the same era as some great teams like the Boston Celtics, the Phila Sixers and the Detroit Pistons. His Milwaukee Bucks made the Easter Conference Finals three times. They were the only squad to defeat the “Fo, Fo, Fo” Sixers in 1983.

He was also one of the greatest guard defenders of his era, maybe even the best, winning 2 DPOY in the 1980’s.

-5 NBA All-Star games
-1 All NBA 1st team and four 2nd teams (5 total)
-4 All Defensive 1st teams and one 2nd team (5 total)
-2 DPOY
-Career high points per game 22.5
-Career high rebounds per game 6.7
-Career high assist per game 5.2
-Career high FG% .54

This post summed up Moncrief's arguement terrificly, expecially because I don't feel like writing much myself about Moncrief.

I'll just add that Moncrief....
-Led the Milwaukee Bucks to the third best decade of possibly the greatest decade of basketball, behind only the showtime Lakers, and legendary Boston Celtics
-7 Straight 50 win seasons with the Bucks
-5 Straight Top Ten finishes in MVP voting
-From 83-91, only 4 guards made an all-nba first team.... Michael Jordan, Isiah Thomas, Magic Johnson, and Sidney Moncrief
-Career TS% of 59%.... that's higher than Shaq, David Robinson and Michael Jordan.

My greatest memory of Moncrief is from his NCAA days when he shut down Larry Bird. His defense on Larry Bird almost gave Arkansas the surprising victory, but a last second shot from another Indiana player gave them the win. This game goes to show how Sid could cover practically anybody. I hate using a non-NBA example, but that game showed my point perfectly, and it was an amazing game.

Also, to the poster that said Moncrief was not a franchise player, you might need to look at Sid's prime, and rethink that.
otmtheshank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 03:01 PM   #20
L.Kizzle
ISH's Negro Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxNeXuSxX
Tracy Mcgrady, who has never been past the first round his entire career was voted in over 15 places ago with no numbers astoundingly over Pierce. You cannot put guys like Moncrief: a 15/4/3 guy with really good defense over a franchise player in Paul Pierce: a 25/6/5 guy who is constantly the most underrated defender in the league. I mean, Reggie freakin' Miller is already voted in. What the f*ck did he do that Pierce cannot?

Is Camby more valuable than Yao?
I wouldn't have put T-Mac that high on the list but I'd have him over Pierce. While Mac gas never gotten out the first round, he's been to more playoff appearances then Pierce. And while their numbers may be close McGrady has more All-Star appearances (7 to Pierces 5) and way more ALl-NBA teams (6 to Pierce's 2). T-Mac actually has the same amount of first teams then Pierce has All-NBA teams combined. McGrady also has 2 scoring titles to boot.

Moncrief career averages are only 15/4/3 but he was injured his last 3 os so seasons. His best seasons he was regulary over 20/5/5. He also led his Milwuakee Bucks to 3 Conference Finals in the 80's. He was a way better defender then Pierce as his two DPOY's show for it.

Pierce is probally a better talent then Pierce but this list isn't about who's more talented but who's greates and Miller is greater then Pierce. Hell, he even has more accomplishments the PP. They have the same number of All-Star games and Miller has has 1 more All-NBA team. Not to mention his NBA Finals appearance and countless Easter Conference Finals showing. I'm not even going to bring up his clutchness and 3 point shooting.

No Camby isn't more valuable then Yao Ming, why is that even a question.

Also, wasn't calling you Lebron23, Lebron23 voted for Pierce right after you did and called him a 6 time All-Star. He must have deleted the post.
L.Kizzle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 04:33 PM   #21
kobelamarjackson
High School JV MVP

david thompson
kobelamarjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 05:01 PM   #22
disco
Great young streetballer

Sorry if you have gone through this earlier, but aren't we talking about best NBA players here? If we ignore college career, Thompson's accomplishments are: ABA rookie of the year, 2 time all-league 1st teamer. Not much, is it?
disco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 05:07 PM   #23
Richie2k6
Smooth Like Butter

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCMVP1551
Vince's career averages are slightly over 24, 5 and 4 and he is still in his prime so there is no way he will end up anywhere near 18, 3 and 3. 18, 3 and 3 isn't that impressive.
The best Carter will have at the end of his career is 19/4/3 or so.
Richie2k6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 05:07 PM   #24
LBJ 4 MVP
Sit yo ass down!

Quote:
Originally Posted by disco
Sorry if you have gone through this earlier, but aren't we talking about best NBA players here? If we ignore college career, Thompson's accomplishments are: ABA rookie of the year, 2 time all-league 1st teamer, Only player in history named MVP of both the ABA and NBA All-Star Games, 2nd in scoring twice, 3rd in scoring once, Colorado Professional Athlete of the Year, Scored a career-high 73 points against Detroit,
Fixed.
LBJ 4 MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 05:11 PM   #25
Richie2k6
Smooth Like Butter

Quote:
Sorry if you have gone through this earlier, but aren't we talking about best NBA players here? If we ignore college career, Thompson's accomplishments are: ABA rookie of the year, 2 time all-league 1st teamer, Only player in history named MVP of both the ABA and NBA All-Star Games, 2nd in scoring twice, 3rd in scoring once, Colorado Professional Athlete of the Year, Scored a career-high 73 points against Detroit,
Bolded ones aren't extremely relevant.

Last edited by Richie2k6 : 08-29-2007 at 07:25 PM.
Richie2k6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 05:47 PM   #26
KempSonics
Local High School Star

Walt Bellamy and Bob Lanier should have been picked by now.

Walt Bellamy.
KempSonics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 06:30 PM   #27
YAWN
NBA All-star

sidney
YAWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 07:15 PM   #28
basketballer4
Sweaty ti.ts

C-Webb.
basketballer4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 07:51 PM   #29
disco
Great young streetballer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBJ 4 MVP
Fixed.

The stuff you "fixed" doesnt make him any better. Tom Chambers was all-star game MVP, Willie Burton has better one game scoring record than 90% of the league, but it doesnt make their careers any better. The bottom line is that while Thompson was a really, really good player he didn't accomplish much.
disco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 08:11 PM   #30
Rockets(T-mac)
NBA sixth man of the year

Sidney Moncrief again for reasons I stated in the last thread and the ones posted by others.
Rockets(T-mac) is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: