Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 08-29-2007, 06:01 AM   #1
mmmarvinsays
Can barely lace up my sneakers

Default It's Official the bucks signed Yi

Bucks Sign Yi Jianlian To Multi-Year Contract

August 29, 2007 - The Milwaukee Bucks announced today that 2007 first round draft pick Yi Jianlian (EE jee-AHN-lee-AHN) has signed a multi-year contract. The Bucks 6th overall selection in the 2007 NBA Draft, Yi Jianlian signed his contract in Hong Kong following a negotiating session with Mr. Chen Haitao, owner of the Guangdong Tigers. Bucks owner and team president Senator Herb Kohl, General Manager Larry Harris and Bucks Vice President Ron Walter were able to meet with Mr. Chen, as well as Yi and his family, as part of the process.

Yi Jianlian is expected to join the team for training camp that begins on Monday, October 1 at the Bucks Training Center in St. Francis, WI.

“There has been a genuine excitement throughout our city and state, as well as internationally, following our selection of Yi in the NBA Draft,” said Senator Herb Kohl. “We all anticipate Yi’s arrival and welcome him and his family to Milwaukee. We look forward to a successful relationship for many years to come.”

“We would be remiss if we didn’t acknowledge and thank Mr. Chen for his assistance and support in the negotiating process,” Kohl added.

“We were thrilled to be able to draft Yi Jianlian in June and are equally excited to sign him to a NBA contract as a member of the Milwaukee Bucks,” said Harris. “We drafted Yi with the expectation that he would be a part of our franchise for a very long time and this is the first step in that process. Yi is a skilled and versatile young man who we have seen play numerous times over the last few years including this summer in the NBA Summer League. Our players and coaches look forward to working with Yi and I know our fans will enjoy watching him compete with the many talented, young players on our roster.”

NBA Commissioner David J. Stern commented, “We are happy that Yi will be playing with the Bucks to further develop his skill and his contribution to both the Chinese National Team and the NBA. This is another great example of cooperation between the CBA and the NBA and I want to congratulate the CBA, Mr. Chen, the Guangdong Tigers and the Milwaukee Bucks.”

A 6-11, 238-lbs. forward, Yi Jianlian has played professionally for the Guangdong Tigers of the Chinese Basketball Association (CBA) since 2002-03, when he was awarded Rookie of the Year honors. He has competed in the last five CBA Finals and won titles in 2004, 2005 and 2006, earning the Finals Most Valuable Player honors in 2006. In 2003-04, he averaged 9.7 points and 5.9 rebounds in 28 games, including his first CBA title. The following season in 53 contests, Yi improved his numbers to 16.8 points, 10.2 rebounds and 1.4 blocked shots on his way to a second consecutive CBA title. Yi led Guangdong to a third straight CBA title in 2005-06, averaging 20.5 points, 9.7 rebounds and 1.3 blocks in 52 games. Last season, Yi posted career-high averages with 24.9 points, 11.5 rebounds and 1.8 blocks in 30.7 minutes. He led Guangdong to a fifth straight appearance in the CBA Finals, but bowed to Bayi in five games (4-1).

This summer, Yi Jianlian and Team China Basketball played five games in the NBA Summer League in Las Vegas. Yi averaged 12.4 points, 4.4 rebounds and 1.4 blocked shots in 28.0 minutes per game. He tallied a team-high 23 points vs. Memphis, and 20 points, including the game-winner, in Team China Basketball’s win over Cleveland.

Most recently in the Efes Pilsen World Cup in Izmir, Turkey, Yi averaged 23 points and 8 rebounds over three games against Poland (28 points, 10 rebounds), Serbia (17 points, 9 rebounds) and Latvia (24 points, 5 rebounds).

Yi competed for the Chinese National Team at the 2004 Olympics in Athens and the 2006 FIBA World Championship in Japan.

About the Milwaukee Bucks

http://www.nba.com/bucks/news/Yi_Signed_070829.html
mmmarvinsays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 06:04 AM   #2
chains5000
From Out Of Nowhere

Default Re: It's Official the bucks signed Yi

Hope this is the last thread about him till season starts...
chains5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 06:07 AM   #3
Spike Spiegel
Local High School Star

He's certainly not out of the woods yet. Now the potential "bust" talk will come.

But for now...yay. At least 5 years of Yi...assuming he doesn't turn out to be hot garbage.
Spike Spiegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 06:12 AM   #4
OneWay
GREATEST OF ALL TIME!!

OneWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 06:29 AM   #5
xtrm

sound liked Glenn Robinson Part 2, holding the bucks for big contract
xtrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 06:35 AM   #6
clipps
Good college starter

Yi is gunna turn into a very talented player, but I think he'll struggle in his 1st 2 seasons. For some reason, I have no idea who to compare Yi to.
clipps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 07:50 AM   #7
adamcz
Bucks fan

Bucks were so stupid for drafting him. He's never going to sign there. When a player makes it clear that he doesn't want to play there, you don't throw away a draft pick.

Adam
adamcz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 07:51 AM   #8
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtrm
sound liked Glenn Robinson Part 2, holding the bucks for big contract

What big bucks???? The hell are you talkin bout kid.
GOBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 08:08 AM   #9
clipps
Good college starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamcz
Bucks were so stupid for drafting him. He's never going to sign there. When a player makes it clear that he doesn't want to play there, you don't throw away a draft pick.

Adam

Let me guess. You forgot to read the original post.
clipps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 08:11 AM   #10
chains5000
From Out Of Nowhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by clipps
I'm sure he did read it
chains5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 08:25 AM   #11
east_woods
I airball my layups

east_woods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 08:27 AM   #12
mountaingoat
Decent playground baller

Quote:
Originally Posted by clipps

you're missing the sarcasm.
mountaingoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 08:33 AM   #13
xtrm

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOBB
What big bucks???? The hell are you talkin bout kid.

some info on Wiki(search:glenn robinson)

He was selected by the Milwaukee Bucks with the first overall pick in the 1994 NBA draft. After a holdout that lasted until the beginning of training camp after demanding a then-unprecedented 13 year $100 million contract [1], he eventually signed an also unprecedented 10-year, $68 million deal that still stands as the richest NBA contract to a rookie due to the "rookie cap" that was installed the following season.

kid,they both holdout the bucks after being drafted
xtrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 08:37 AM   #14
Valliant13
NBA lottery pick

I would laugh my ass off if after they worked so hard to sign him he washed out completely.
Valliant13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 08:43 AM   #15
niko
I Run NY.

He can be traded in three months. Why does this stop the talk?
niko is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: