Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 08-29-2007, 05:26 PM   #1
OneWay
GREATEST OF ALL TIME!!

Default A question about Kobe

One of the things I'm most worried about when it comes to Kobe is his durability.
Well of course, he's a very skilled player and that's nice but you know, I don't want this to end. I don't want Kobe to decline.

Now, my question is, how much you think he looks quicker than last season?
He dropped 15-20 pounds, his knee got stronger and I'd say he looks noticeably quicker. At least 15 % quicker if you ask me.
The thing is now that last year he was able to dominate and score 50 whenever he wanted and he was definitely slower than now.
So, in how many years you think Kobe will again be as "slow" as last year?
Because even when he slows down that much, he's proven that he will still be able to dominate.
What do you think?
I can personally see him being that slow again at 32 or 33 when I hope he"ll still dominate.

Do you think my assessment is correct or is there something you'd like to add?
OneWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 05:29 PM   #2
bdreason
Game. Set. Match.

Default Re: A question about Kobe

Kobe has the skills to play with reduced atheleticism.
bdreason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 05:31 PM   #3
Cannonball
Lets GO PENS!

Tupac will return and drop 65 on kobe.
Cannonball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 05:34 PM   #4
dejordan
Mars Blackmon Lives!

it's hard for me to gauge if kobe looks more or less athletic right now because i'm unfamiliar with the competition. he got some nice lift when he rammed down that dunk going across the lane last night. i would be less concerned about kobe's quickness slipping due to age than injury. he has been injury prone since shaq left, and that's worrisome. with his post-game and touch he should be a top 5 player into his 30s as long as his body holds up.
dejordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 05:37 PM   #5
John Starks
National High School Star

I'd also be worried about the weight loss. Players generally lose weight during the season. Kobe was worn down at the end of last season -- so with less weight to sustain him he may be even more worn down and tired at the end of this season.
John Starks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 06:09 PM   #6
dawsey6
/thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdreason
Kobe has the skills to play with reduced atheleticism.

Agreed. Kobe will still put up good numbers with or without great athletism because of the skills he has developed over his career. I'm not sure whether or not he looks quicker, but I don't see him being any slower as of now, and I'm not too worried about whether he started to decline soon, because his game won't decline as fast as his athletism.
dawsey6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 06:46 PM   #7
eeeeeebro
Decent college freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Starks
I'd also be worried about the weight loss. Players generally lose weight during the season. Kobe was worn down at the end of last season -- so with less weight to sustain him he may be even more worn down and tired at the end of this season.
people that jog every morning are not worn down by playing a basketball game. its all a matter of how good kobe's joints are and they are fine right now he will be a big impact next year as long as his quickness does not quickly end in injury.
eeeeeebro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 06:51 PM   #8
John Starks
National High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by eeeeeebro
people that jog every morning are not worn down by playing a basketball game.

Peope who jog every morning don't play 82+ games a year.

Quote:
its all a matter of how good kobe's joints are

I don't know if its the joints or the lungs, or the muscles. I know that player should come into camp with just a little bit extra mass so they can drop 5 lbs during the season and still be strong enough for the post-season.

Kobe was worn down last post-season.

Quote:
and they [kobe's joints] are fine right now he will be a big impact next year as long as his quickness does not quickly end in injury.

Are you a doctor? What the f do you know about anyone's joints? Do you have x-rays?

++ I'm not saying he'll be healthy or injured, i'm just saying, generally, in regards to the weight loss, andeveryone is different, that I'd be concerned if I were a fan.
John Starks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 06:58 PM   #9
shok
Decent playground baller

Y'know, when my favorite players began to retire, I thought I would never overcome the void. Losing Kobe from the league will be saddening as well.

But y'know what? I've come to the realization that there will be some exciting kids coming into the league every year. And in a few years, when my current favorites are gone, I know I'll rely on Wade, LBJ, Melo and the other obvious guys......including guys like Gerald Green, Monta Ellis, Kev Martin who will soon get their due. And thats damn exciting to me.
shok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 07:06 PM   #10
Indian guy
Very good NBA starter

After the first game of this FIBA tournament Kobe's quickness/explosiveness on offense has looked no different to me than last season. It's defense where he's looked far quicker compared to the last 3-4 seasons(of course, he's also trying on D this time around so that's part of it too). As far as how long I believe his current athleticism will last; all great athletes get noticeably slower and less explosive once they pass 30 and I expect Kobe to be no different. Given his amazing skill level though I see him remaining a Top 5 player in the league for 3-4 more years(assuming he avoids major injury). But not farther than that. He IS injury prone and has a lot more mileage on his body then your average 33 year old.

Last edited by Indian guy : 08-29-2007 at 07:09 PM.
Indian guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 09:09 PM   #11
Loki
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indian guy
After the first game of this FIBA tournament Kobe's quickness/explosiveness on offense has looked no different to me than last season. It's defense where he's looked far quicker compared to the last 3-4 seasons(of course, he's also trying on D this time around so that's part of it too).

As I scrolled down I was going to post exactly this, and then saw your post. I mean, you literally took the words right out of my mouth. He's moving his feet more quickly on defense, but a lot of that is quickly picking up and repositioning the feet/body rather than straight or sliding movement. On offense, on the few quick moves I've seen him try to make (e.g., quick first steps on face-ups), he looks about the same as last year, and hasn't really blown by anyone that I've seen (in fact he's been called for a few charges when trying to get by guys). On all of his drives, actually, his straight-ahead speed looks similar to last year.

It's odd, but I think that these two types of quickness require different muscle groups, which would explain the difference. The explosiveness that "first step" type moves require takes a total body commitment rather than just foot speed.

Last edited by Loki : 08-29-2007 at 09:14 PM.
Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 09:27 PM   #12
IGOTGAME
NBA All-star

If you compare this Kobe to Kobe las year he is much quicker on both offense and defense then last year..That is becasue his knee was never fully healed last year..You can go back and look at the games from last year and see right now he is much quicker then last year...

Right now I think Kobe is where he was athletically during his 2005-2006 season with a little more quickness on defense...Maybe a little less on vert
IGOTGAME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 12:28 AM   #13
gts
Sons of Antartica

hard to say actually, if you look at kobe's minutes in the playoffs over the years they add up to two more seasons, so his eleven seasons are actually 13seasons... he does seem quicker at this time, i'm sure the weight loss has something to do with it, and except for barbosa, he hasn't really faced a guy like nash who would just run anyone ragged, add that he's also just coming off of a few months rest too...
how long will this quickness last? we'll know more when the nba season gets into it's third month and the daily grind begins to take it's toll on everyone...
gts is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: