Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 08-29-2007, 07:46 PM   #16
luigi>mario
Now known as Luigi

Default Re: Let's talk about LeBron with a consistent jumper...what would it do for his game?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie2k6
How many players have ever averaged 34/8? The 34 might happen at some point in his career, but I don't see the 8 assists happening. Eventually he will have a good point guard so he doesn't have to be a playmaker. I see him putting up 30/7/5 in his prime when he gets a solid playmaking point guard. 8.5? A bit of a push.

The only way he gets up to the 8.5 with those scoring numbers will be becuase of the pacing the cavs go with. They would need to be a Suns/old mavs/warriors style team in order for him to get all that. He could get a lot off of rebounds that turn to fast breaks if someone will run with him for the easy dish and lay up.
luigi>mario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 07:47 PM   #17
xxxSuperStar
I Like Tacos

Default Re: Let's talk about LeBron with a consistent jumper...what would it do for his game?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie2k6
How many players have ever averaged 34/8? The 34 might happen at some point in his career, but I don't see the 8 assists happening. Eventually he will have a good point guard so he doesn't have to be a playmaker. I see him putting up 30/7/5 in his prime when he gets a solid playmaking point guard. 8.5? A bit of a push.

I'm not a LeBron homer, but when I watch Cleveland games (which I do quite often), his teammates seriously drop the pass or miss wide open shots Lebron creates for them at least 10 times a game.

Imagine if he was paired with a deadly shooter or TRUE dominant big man. Adding two more assists on to his current totals isn't out of the question in my book at all (not career totals, but for a season or two).

I think he'll always have the ball in his hands. The Cavs need a John Paxson type PG, not a distributor per se. If they had a PG who could knock down open shots, his APG would go up by one alone.
xxxSuperStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 07:51 PM   #18
WADE MONEY
I hit open jumpers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2LeTTeRS KD
when people assume he'd get that much better I get confused. Did Vince get much better as he got a better J? Jordan? Kobe? T Mac? Their percentages and stats stayed about the same. Alot of them stopped attacking the basket as much and fall in love with their J when their slashing ability and athleticism is what got them in the league. And especially for all the talk about how bad of a shooter Bron is, he shoots as good from 3 as the other premier swingmen, while shooting a better percentage overall.

With the specimen LeBron is you have to think do you prefer him to be 20-25 ft from the basket shooting jumpers or shooting from 10 ft and in? Me personally I prefer the close buckets and honestly don't want LeBron to ever take more than the 4 3s a game he took this year. He's most effective either slashing to the basket or using his 250 lb frame to overpower and outquick defenders than trying to shoot over them.

Yes I'm sure everyone but the most casual fans would prefer a 10 footer to a 25 footer, but the point is, the THREAT of a 25 footer makes it EASIER for lebron to get the 10 footer in the first place.

Watch the 07 finals, and you'll see bowen practically leaving Lebron wide open at the top of the key, basically daring him to take the open J. Good strategy by Pop, because Bron's jumper was not falling AT ALL, no matter how open he was. Yes, I hate the fact that guys like Vince and Tmac fall in love with their jumpers as much as you do, but they take CONTESTED jumpers from 20 feet.

Obviously, if a 20 footer and a 10 footer are both contested, you're gonna take the 10 footer, right? But what's happening is that Bowen is getting tired of beaten off the dribble and dunked on, so he's camping in the paint with Duncan and Elson, so that if Bron tries to penetrate and lay it up or something, his **** gets swatted into the third row. Now if Lebron could actually make those open 20 footers, that would obviously not be the case and he can drive in all he wants.
WADE MONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 07:57 PM   #19
Rockets(T-mac)
NBA sixth man of the year

If he had a consistant jumper he would be even harder too guard, but I'm affraid if he gets a good jumper then he will fall in love with it. What I really want to see him do is post up more. He is big strong and fast he would be killer in the post if he did it more.
Rockets(T-mac) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 08:02 PM   #20
redhonda76
Go NY GO NY GO

I prefer LeBron to not have a consistent jumper. The reason is because jumpshot is so easy to fall in love. Look at Kobe, VC, and Jordan... they shoot the J more than driving to the hoop. Why go in and get hammered when you can shoot and score the same 2 points.
redhonda76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 08:12 PM   #21
MaxFly
Stylin' on you

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhonda76
I prefer LeBron to not have a consistent jumper. The reason is because jumpshot is so easy to fall in love. Look at Kobe, VC, and Jordan... they shoot the J more than driving to the hoop. Why go in and get hammered when you can shoot and score the same 2 points.

What happens when a good defensive team figures out a way to take away his driving game? The key is to be disciplined and use the skill effectively, not to reject the skill out of fear of abusing it.

And... Jordan might be a bad example.
MaxFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 09:02 PM   #22
abuC
Cuba

Well, according to LeBron he's been working on his shot and he's actually up to 260lbs now.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...082801927.html

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...082900255.html
abuC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 09:06 PM   #23
Lebron23
Most Valuable Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by abuC
Well, according to LeBron he's been working on his shot and he's actually up to 260lbs now.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...082801927.html

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...082900255.html

Definitely a great news for us Cavaliers fanatics who hope that Bron will finally prove to the NBA, that the hype is definitely right.

Lebron having a consistent jumpshoot from the outside will probably help him to elevate his game to another level.

We will no longer be worried that Lebron will missed some easy shoots from the outside and it will create some problems to the other teams because adding another repertoire to Lebron James natural ability will definitely be a dangerous and lethal combination.

Lebron James will be my prime candidate to the 2007-08 NBA Most Valuable Player of the Year.

Last edited by Lebron23 : 08-29-2007 at 09:19 PM.
Lebron23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 09:40 PM   #24
Y2Gezee
Troll spotting pro

Personally I think he'll revert back to his old bad habit of fading away in the NBA. Wisely he's mainly taking wide open looks from outside, but in the league he likes to take pull up 3s, and I don't see too many times where he'll be as open off the ball at the 3 or really without the heavy ball handling duties. I hope he atleast keeps his elbow in (which he never used to do), but the bad pullup shots and fading I think will return simply because of the circumstances he'll be in.
Y2Gezee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 10:14 PM   #25
RedBlackAttack
The Paterfamilias

I really don't see how 34, 7 and 8.5 on 50%+ shooting is that much of a stretch. I mean... the guy is just 22, has been in the league just four years, yet he already has a season under his belt in which he 31+, 7, 6+ on 48% shooting.

If he improves his game (as it appears he has), I don't see why he couldn't have a crazy statistical season like the one listed above.

He averaged 8+ rebounds and 8+ assists in the playoffs this past year, btw. It isn't out of the realm that he could do it in a season.
RedBlackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 10:19 PM   #26
Cannonball
Lets GO PENS!

How did Jordon avg 8apg?
Cannonball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 10:33 PM   #27
IGOTGAME
NBA All-star

If Lebron a consistent jumper and a slightly better handle and further improve his defense he will become one the top 15 greatest players ever or better...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBlackAttack
I really don't see how 34, 7 and 8.5 on 50%+ shooting is that much of a stretch. I mean... the guy is just 22, has been in the league just four years, yet he already has a season under his belt in which he 31+, 7, 6+ on 48% shooting.

If he improves his game (as it appears he has), I don't see why he couldn't have a crazy statistical season like the one listed above.

He averaged 8+ rebounds and 8+ assists in the playoffs this past year, btw. It isn't out of the realm that he could do it in a season.

thats a huge stretch..If he has to do that much something is wrong... Bron isnt ever gonna put up 34 points a game because its not in his nature(not a bad thing). same goes for the rebounds and assits..

I think his peak could be if he puts up a 30/7/7 while making a first team all defense and pulling in MVP and great record...
IGOTGAME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 10:36 PM   #28
Diesel J
NBA lottery pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockets(T-mac)
If he had a consistant jumper he would be even harder too guard, but I'm affraid if he gets a good jumper then he will fall in love with it. What I really want to see him do is post up more. He is big strong and fast he would be killer in the post if he did it more.

exactly...and I don't want that to happen
Diesel J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 10:39 PM   #29
Diesel J
NBA lottery pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhonda76

I agree with Kobe and VC but Jordan?Jordan didn't shoot basically 50% for his career for nothing
Diesel J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 10:59 PM   #30
Poseidon
Banned

Valiant Valor = PleezeBelieve

Enough with these goddamn LeBron topics!!!
Poseidon is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: