Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 08-30-2007, 02:37 PM   #1
mlh1981
Reds/Bengals/Cavs

mlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default How would Bobby Knight fare as an NBA coach?

Would his strongarming "my way or the highway" tactics succeed in the NBA? Not that he would ever consider such a move, but it's still fun to sit back and think about what he could accomplish as an NBA coach. What kind of team would he be a good fit for? I think a young team (i.e. Atlanta, Charlotte, etc) who has college age guys that are still relatively raw could possibly work. For the most part, they are still eager to learn and have tons of prove On the flip side, though, the losing would wear him down immensely and he could potentially flip his lid a time or two. A team of veterans would do more winning, but his tactics might offend some of the established vets, who feel like they don't need any real coaching--just a figurehead on the sidelines. A team with high salary guys are less likely to put up with the shenanigans of someone making much less money than them.

Overall, as Rick Pitino, Mike Montgomery, and many other coaches have discovered, college is the ideal atmosphere for certain types. Bobby Knight during his heyday was essentially the KING at Indiana. That's the way he likes it. He had the final say in all matters, and few were brave enough to challenge him. In the NBA, coaches are hired to be fired, players are more set in their ways, and although they might respect his track record (something important to keep in mind), they would grow weary of his long practices and inability to pace the team through a long regular season.

I would have my doubts how Bobby Knight or a Bobby Knight-type would fare. What does ISH think?
mlh1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 02:39 PM   #2
ReturnOfJimi
Good High School Starter

ReturnOfJimi has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: How would Bobby Knight fare as an NBA coach?

NBA players are not scared of Bobby Knight.

Therefore, someone would get thrown off a team for putting him in intensive care.
ReturnOfJimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 02:42 PM   #3
mlh1981
Reds/Bengals/Cavs

mlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReturnOfJimi
NBA players are not scared of Bobby Knight.

Therefore, someone would get thrown off a team for putting him in intensive care.

That is certainly a possibility

However, you don't think his track record would garner more respect?
mlh1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 02:44 PM   #4
ReturnOfJimi
Good High School Starter

Quote:

I think he's too used to using physical intimidation and intensity to get his players up and get respect.

He'd have trouble curbing that cuz he's so used to using it as a viable method.. even if he could get his temper under wraps... which he couldn't.

I don't think that really works in the NBA.
Old 08-30-2007, 02:44 PM   #5
lawlerslaw100
Good High School Starter

lawlerslaw100 has decent reputationlawlerslaw100 has decent reputation
Thumbs down Re: How would Bobby Knight fare as an NBA coach?

He would fare as well as Jerry the Shark Tarkanian did with the Spurs in
the 90s. He not finish the season. A player like Ms Bryant or Carmela
would have him in the hospital waiting for a heart transplant. A player
like Molester Patterson, Nutcase Artest, or Rashweed Wallace would
putting a big hurt on him if he tried throwing a chair at one of them.
lawlerslaw100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 02:45 PM   #6
Make It Rain
Banned

Make It Rain has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlh1981
That is certainly a possibility

He would need a player with leadership qualities to keep everyone in line. He needs a right hand guy that the other players respect. There are only few of those: Chauncey Billups, Jason Kidd, Shaq, Duncan. Shaq's a bit of a stretch, but he does get respect wherever he goes. You could even toss Kobe in there, but he hasn't really proven he can win on his own yet.
Make It Rain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 02:45 PM   #7
ReturnOfJimi
Good High School Starter

Quote:
He would fare as well as Jerry the Shark Tarkanian did with the Spurs in
the 90s.

Jerry Tarkanian and Bobby Knight are very different people.
Old 08-30-2007, 02:46 PM   #8
ReturnOfJimi
Good High School Starter

Quote:
Molester Patterson

I believe the correct term would be

"Face-Rap!$t Patterson"
Old 08-30-2007, 03:24 PM   #9
allball
National High School Star

allball has decent reputationallball has decent reputation

not well. Knight despises the NBA style of play and would never fit.
allball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 03:41 PM   #10
STelfair31
National High School Star

STelfair31 has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlh1981
Would his strongarming "my way or the highway" tactics succeed in the NBA? Not that he would ever consider such a move, but it's still fun to sit back and think about what he could accomplish as an NBA coach. What kind of team would he be a good fit for? I think a young team (i.e. Atlanta, Charlotte, etc) who has college age guys that are still relatively raw could possibly work. For the most part, they are still eager to learn and have tons of prove On the flip side, though, the losing would wear him down immensely and he could potentially flip his lid a time or two. A team of veterans would do more winning, but his tactics might offend some of the established vets, who feel like they don't need any real coaching--just a figurehead on the sidelines. A team with high salary guys are less likely to put up with the shenanigans of someone making much less money than them.

Overall, as Rick Pitino, Mike Montgomery, and many other coaches have discovered, college is the ideal atmosphere for certain types. Bobby Knight during his heyday was essentially the KING at Indiana. That's the way he likes it. He had the final say in all matters, and few were brave enough to challenge him. In the NBA, coaches are hired to be fired, players are more set in their ways, and although they might respect his track record (something important to keep in mind), they would grow weary of his long practices and inability to pace the team through a long regular season.

I would have my doubts how Bobby Knight or a Bobby Knight-type would fare. What does ISH think?

good topic... in the NBA he'd be dealin with MEN not BOYS who have scholarships on the line and all that..also the men in the NBA are getting paid no matter if they listen to him or not... also the college has the A.D.'s in the NBA there is owners and GMs you have more of a shot to run things your way under the A.D. i think he could make it work but he would have to re-dress himself and Bob Knight would never never do that
STelfair31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 04:49 PM   #11
OneWay
GREATEST OF ALL TIME!!

OneWay has an OK reputation so far

Yeah, that's a good point. The NBA players won't take that much **** from anyone. Knight is absolutely ruthless. I've never seen anyone that intense and while that may fly in college basketball, I doubt NBA players would respond well to Knight's methods.
OneWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 05:21 PM   #12
Mathius
NBA sixth man of the year

Mathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputation

Players make far more money than the coaches. If the players aren't happy, the coach will be gone. Very few heavy handed coaches are left in the league for these very reasons.

Jerry Sloan has reportedly eased up in his ways quite a bit. Van Gundy got boot'ed in Houston last year. I can't really think of any old school hard core coaches left in the league. Riley maybe? But Riley carries the weight of all his titles, and always signs older veterans who have a lot more respect for him.

I don't see Knight's antics lasting long in the NBA.

Mathius
Mathius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 05:23 PM   #13
MaxFly
Stylin' on you

MaxFly is popular on this boardMaxFly is popular on this boardMaxFly is popular on this boardMaxFly is popular on this boardMaxFly is popular on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneWay
Yeah, that's a good point. The NBA players won't take that much **** from anyone. Knight is absolutely ruthless. I've never seen anyone that intense and while that may fly in college basketball, I doubt NBA players would respond well to Knight's methods.

Oh, they'd respond alright... likely with violence and bloodshed. I'd honestly be concerned for Knight's safety...

Shaq slapped Tex Winters... you think he'd have any trouble drop kicking Bobby Knight?

MaxFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 05:24 PM   #14
Thorpesaurous
NBA rookie of the year

Thorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Even outside of his temperment issues, and ability to mesh with players, his motion/passing offense wouldn't work at the pro level. And his intensity, even if under control, would wear thin over that long of a season.
Even Riley's intensity drama ran them out of gas with both the Knicks, and the old Heat teams. I always felt that's why those Heat teams always seemed to spit the bit in the postseason. They had no other notch to turn it up to. They were playing game 36 in Milwaukee like it was for control of the universe. All of his titles have featured either Magic or Shaq, two of the most jovial, and counterbalancing personalities for him in the league. As opposed to Zo in his prime, where the two of them actually seemed to feed off of each other.
Thorpesaurous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 05:26 PM   #15
White Chocolate
5-time NBA All-Star

White Chocolate has a terrific reputationWhite Chocolate has a terrific reputationWhite Chocolate has a terrific reputationWhite Chocolate has a terrific reputationWhite Chocolate has a terrific reputationWhite Chocolate has a terrific reputation

Bobby Knight would make Ron Artest **** his pants. The best team for Knight would be the Bobcats or Hawks. A team with young, talented players that need guidance. There are plenty of good, young players that don't reach their potential because they don't have a good coach.
White Chocolate is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: