Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 08-30-2007, 06:32 PM   #1
Jimmy2k8
NBA rookie of the year

Jimmy2k8 has an incredible reputation hereJimmy2k8 has an incredible reputation hereJimmy2k8 has an incredible reputation hereJimmy2k8 has an incredible reputation hereJimmy2k8 has an incredible reputation hereJimmy2k8 has an incredible reputation hereJimmy2k8 has an incredible reputation here
Default The true meaning of preppy.

Alot of people are mistaken when they call somebody else a "Preppy". Just to clear this up...Abercrombie&Fitch, Hollister, American Eagle, Aeropostale, and Pacsun are NOT PREPPY CLOTHES.

This is a common mistake said by many people. "Preps wear Hollister". Preppies do not wear those big name brands. Instead they wear clothes like Polo, Lacoste etc.

Preppies are rich and do not attend Public Schools. Instead they attend private schools.

The people you make fun and mistaken for, are not preps..
Jimmy2k8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 06:39 PM   #2
White Chocolate
5-time NBA All-Star

White Chocolate has a terrific reputationWhite Chocolate has a terrific reputationWhite Chocolate has a terrific reputationWhite Chocolate has a terrific reputationWhite Chocolate has a terrific reputationWhite Chocolate has a terrific reputation
Default Re: The true meaning of preppy.

White Chocolate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 06:44 PM   #3
boozehound
An uglier Lamar Doom

boozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy2k8
Preppies are rich and do not attend Public Schools. Instead they attend private schools.

The people you make fun and mistaken for, are not preps..
I went to a public school with lots of preppies. I will agree that the larger brands you mentioned are not indicative of preppies, but they are crappy clothes.
boozehound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 06:47 PM   #4
-primetime-

preppy : playing tennis on a Sunday morning
Old 08-30-2007, 06:54 PM   #5
Jimmy2k8
NBA rookie of the year

Jimmy2k8 has an incredible reputation hereJimmy2k8 has an incredible reputation hereJimmy2k8 has an incredible reputation hereJimmy2k8 has an incredible reputation hereJimmy2k8 has an incredible reputation hereJimmy2k8 has an incredible reputation hereJimmy2k8 has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by boozehound
I went to a public school with lots of preppies. I will agree that the larger brands you mentioned are not indicative of preppies, but they are crappy clothes.

Preppies don't attend public schools. the people who wear big brand names are not preppies.

Those people who think they're a preppy by wearing those big brand names, are not even close to being a prep.

More like wanna be preps.

Preppies are rich and live in a nice house.
Old 08-30-2007, 06:57 PM   #6
boozehound
An uglier Lamar Doom

boozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy2k8
Preppies don't attend public schools. the people who wear big brand names are not preppies.

Those people who think they're a preppy by wearing those big brand names, are not even close to being a prep.

More like wanna be preps.

Preppies are rich and live in a nice house.
Rich kids in nice houses can attend public schools. I went to a public school with lots of rich kids
boozehound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 07:00 PM   #7
Timmeh
Yes, I am a dick.

Timmeh has a near all-star reputation hereTimmeh has a near all-star reputation hereTimmeh has a near all-star reputation hereTimmeh has a near all-star reputation hereTimmeh has a near all-star reputation hereTimmeh has a near all-star reputation here

I go to a private school and there are a ton of "preppies". They don't wear Polo, Ralph Lauren, or whatever. You know what they wear? Hollister, AE, A&F, etc.

So yes. Those companies do sell preppy clothes.
Timmeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 07:08 PM   #8
Jimmy2k8
NBA rookie of the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmeh
I go to a private school and there are a ton of "preppies". They don't wear Polo, Ralph Lauren, or whatever. You know what they wear? Hollister, AE, A&F, etc.

So yes. Those companies do sell preppy clothes.

So beachwear is preppy? Does anybody stop and think that the whole big brand name is just a fashion trend? Hollister, AE, A&F, and Aeropostale is open to anybody to buy their clothes.

Real preppies attend private schools and wear the clothes. People who are not preppies and buy the big brand names..aren't even a preppy at all.

Preppies can buy Hollister, AE, A&F, and Aeropostale...but don't mistaken other people who buy those names I mentioned, but aren't rich.

Remember, preppies are rich and can attend a public school or preppy school.
Old 08-30-2007, 07:30 PM   #9
bigboi_baller
NBA rookie of the year

bigboi_baller is popular on this boardbigboi_baller is popular on this boardbigboi_baller is popular on this boardbigboi_baller is popular on this board

Listening to idiots explain and classify fashion is soo funny. Not saying you guys are idiots, just listening to idiots in general on TV is hilarious.

How about me, what kind of dresser am I?

I'm 6ft 160 and wear medium sized shirts of hip hop brands like Sean John, Rocawear, LRG, Ecko, etc. But I also wear AE, Tommy Hilfiger, Nautica, DKNY, and Polo shirts in medium and large sizes.

On top of that I where Jordans, Dunks, and some of those casual Diesel/BOSS type shoes.

My clothes aren't baggy enough to be gangsta style but they aren't tight enough to be preppy. I dress too nicely to be called "careless" or "random."

I'm soo confused! What am I?!? Someone classify me, so I can feel like I belong to something bigger and more important!

O and for the record, I go to one of those rich private schools where the kids pay ridiculous amounts of money to get in and have mansions. They still weare AE, AF, Hollister, and Polo. All of them.
bigboi_baller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 07:35 PM   #10
Timmeh
Yes, I am a dick.

Timmeh has a near all-star reputation hereTimmeh has a near all-star reputation hereTimmeh has a near all-star reputation hereTimmeh has a near all-star reputation hereTimmeh has a near all-star reputation hereTimmeh has a near all-star reputation here

Quote:
O and for the record, I go to one of those rich private schools where the kids pay ridiculous amounts of money to get in and have mansions. They still weare AE, AF, Hollister, and Polo. All of them.
Same here, only I wear Target, Wal-Mart and the occasional Element or Hurley shirt.
Timmeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 07:51 PM   #11
Jailblazers7
will-to-bigness

Jailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

God I hate classifications of clothing styles and people who try and fit into the preppy style or some other thing. It is so generic and unoriginal I dont know how people can stand buying the same stuff as everyone else. You dont have to go out of your way to be original but it should be your own personal style and fashion. Hardly any of the deep, interesting, or cool people I know if any where "preppy" clothes on a daily basis. Sure I will where a Polo shirt or something but I dont strickly shop at Hollister or some other garabage store. I am all over the place with my style. I will wear a T-shirt and jeans one day and the next I will have on nice khakis with a button down shirt or even a sweater over that. It all about what you like and not folding to peer pressure because no one else wears it.

My one teacher gave us a lecture about how everyone of us is creative and original but we get stifled by peer pressure and he is right. By the time we are 16 we get set in our ways and it is harder for us to break out and express ourself beyond what we do. Everyone just follows the norm because they are afraid to stand out because there is the possibility they wont be accepted or someone will dislike their style. Maybe it is just a high school thing but it really just angers me.

Also their are the kids that will wear ugly jackets and funky shirts just for the purpose of standing out and being completely original. I know people who have bought things they dont particularly like but they got it because no one else would have it. These people are just as bad a the cookie cutter kids. Its like the people who will be like that band sucks or that rapper is sh!t solely because of their popularity. This one girl I know went from a Green Day fan one week to a Green Day ***** the next because "everyone likes them now".

Last edited by Jailblazers7 : 08-30-2007 at 07:58 PM.
Jailblazers7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 07:33 PM   #12
bigboi_baller
NBA rookie of the year

bigboi_baller is popular on this boardbigboi_baller is popular on this boardbigboi_baller is popular on this boardbigboi_baller is popular on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jailblazers7
God I hate classifications of clothing styles and people who try and fit into the preppy style or some other thing. It is so generic and unoriginal I dont know how people can stand buying the same stuff as everyone else. You dont have to go out of your way to be original but it should be your own personal style and fashion. Hardly any of the deep, interesting, or cool people I know if any where "preppy" clothes on a daily basis. Sure I will where a Polo shirt or something but I dont strickly shop at Hollister or some other garabage store. I am all over the place with my style. I will wear a T-shirt and jeans one day and the next I will have on nice khakis with a button down shirt or even a sweater over that. It all about what you like and not folding to peer pressure because no one else wears it.

My one teacher gave us a lecture about how everyone of us is creative and original but we get stifled by peer pressure and he is right. By the time we are 16 we get set in our ways and it is harder for us to break out and express ourself beyond what we do. Everyone just follows the norm because they are afraid to stand out because there is the possibility they wont be accepted or someone will dislike their style. Maybe it is just a high school thing but it really just angers me.

Also their are the kids that will wear ugly jackets and funky shirts just for the purpose of standing out and being completely original. I know people who have bought things they dont particularly like but they got it because no one else would have it. These people are just as bad a the cookie cutter kids. Its like the people who will be like that band sucks or that rapper is sh!t solely because of their popularity. This one girl I know went from a Green Day fan one week to a Green Day ***** the next because "everyone likes them now".
Well said.

I hate it when people think they can only shop at certain stores or wear certain brands just because they are from different fashion types.

I kinda stand out being the only one shopping in the hip hop stores looking for a medium Sean John T-shirt. Everyone is looking for their Triple XL's and stuff. And they would never dare to wear AE and AF or designer clothing because thats not "their style", its not their brand.

My style: elegant/classy urban.

My Brands: Sean John, Jordan, Ecko, Polo, Hilfiger, DKNY, Calvin Klein, Quicksilber, Nike, American Eagle, Nautica, Southpole, and so on and so on.

My fashion admirees: Diddy, JT, and Kanye.
bigboi_baller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 08:01 PM   #13
mlh1981
Reds/Bengals/Cavs

mlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

gym shorts, basic white tees, and new balance tennis shoes (or my Starburys). Don't really care. Anyone who judges me for what I wear isn't really my friend anyway. I'm 25 and 7 years removed from high school. I have no idea what is popular anymore, nor do I care. Does it really matter? Are the "benefits" that come along with wearing the latest fashions really worth the price you pay for sacrificing your self worth and individuality?

At the end of the day, an expensive armani shirt is just that..................a shirt. Clean clothes that are presentable are always important, but in the grownup world, noone who has any substance to their personality really gives a sh!t what you wear.

As Tim Robbins says in Shawshank Redemption when he stole the Warden's shoes and walked around in them w/o anyone saying anything, "who really notices a man's shoes?"
mlh1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 10:56 PM   #14
skillswithaz
I bust ghosts

skillswithaz has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by -primetime-
preppy : playing tennis on a Sunday morning
hmm...i do that a lot...in fact during the winter, i'll be going to church on saturday afternoon's so i can get into an indoor court on sunday mornings with my friend who has a membership there.

oh and i wear w/e i want. Today I wore jeans, and a shirt that said "Stevens Basketball" (the name of the school i go to). Yesterday, I wore khaki shorts and a blue and white polo. The day before that, I wore a Pink Floyd t-shirt and faded black jeans.

At my school, there aren't much for preps I guess. People don't generally like to flaunt wealth too much.

What reaaaaaaaally pisses me off are the "non-comformist" attention-starved (or so it seems) goth/emo's. Today, one of them wore a completely black leather skintight suit. He also shaved one side of his head, and dyed the other side pink. And he put on make-up so his face was completely white. Oh and oversized black combat boots.
skillswithaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 11:44 PM   #15
clipps
Good college starter

clipps has a terrific reputationclipps has a terrific reputationclipps has a terrific reputationclipps has a terrific reputationclipps has a terrific reputation

Jimmy. Why the hell did you make a thread about this? Who gives a f*ck?
clipps is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: