Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Indiana Pacers Forum

Indiana Pacers Forum Indiana Pacers message board - pacers fan forum

Old 07-16-2006, 09:51 PM   #1
insidehoops
Administrator

insidehoops has disabled reputation
Default A faster, more athletic pacers team is the goal

"The Pacers feel Danny Granger, David Harrison and rookies Shawne Williams and James White will help them change from a half-court-oriented team to one that relies on interchangeable, athletic players. "That's our goal," Bird said. "We're trying to get some young guys mixed in with our veterans. We feel those four guys can do that for us. Of the four, I am very confident Danny can compete for that starting small forward spot." Indianapolis Star

"As expected, the 20-year-old (Shawne) Williams, who will play small and power forward, has the most work to do. The team says he will be brought along a lot slower than Granger was last season. "He needs a lot of strength," Bird said of Williams. "By the end of the summer he'll be a lot better than when he came in, and by All-Star break he'll be even better. He's got skill and we know he's going to be a good player. He just needs to get stronger." Indianapolis Star
insidehoops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 10:42 PM   #2
scipio
I hit open 5-footers

scipio has an OK reputation so far

Interesting. The Daniels acquisition would also seem to fit into that plan. I'm not sure that Shawne Williams will be able to contribute quickly. I see him as more of a long term project that won't contribute significantly until his 3rd or 4th season, really. I mean, he shot something like 41% and 32% behind the arc in college.
scipio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 12:46 AM   #3
Bricklayer
Decent playground baller

Bricklayer has no real reputation yet.

I have no idea WHAT indiana's doing... i'm not saying they're making stupid decisions, but they don't seem to be making major acquisitions. I really like Shawne Williams' potential and Flight White was crazy in the college dunk contest but i get the feeling they're giving up on trying to remain an eastern powerhouse and starting over. Is JO really for sale? If they ARE trying to turn into a run n gun team, they are certainly getting the young athletic talent necessary for it.
Bricklayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 02:18 PM   #4
PacerRaptor
B-Rush for ROY

PacerRaptor has decent reputationPacerRaptor has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bricklayer
I have no idea WHAT indiana's doing... i'm not saying they're making stupid decisions, but they don't seem to be making major acquisitions. I really like Shawne Williams' potential and Flight White was crazy in the college dunk contest but i get the feeling they're giving up on trying to remain an eastern powerhouse and starting over. Is JO really for sale? If they ARE trying to turn into a run n gun team, they are certainly getting the young athletic talent necessary for it.
the major acquisition that they are trying to get it Harrington...with Harrington in the mix theyre going to have Oneal Harrington and Granger at the front court...i still think they should have went for marcus williams over shawne williams
PacerRaptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 10:50 AM   #5
thejewel
Can barely lace up my sneakers

thejewel has an OK reputation so far

IF healthy, the Pacers might be straight...they must be gravitatiing towards a lineup like this since they want to be more athletic and uptempo...

Tinsley
Jackson
Granger
Harrington
O'neal

IF(BIG IF) Tinsley stays healthy and Granger develops, thats a good starting 5, with Daniels, AJ and the rookies coming off the bench. We can be competitve in the Central....
thejewel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 11:59 AM   #6
PacerRaptor
B-Rush for ROY

PacerRaptor has decent reputationPacerRaptor has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejewel
IF healthy, the Pacers might be straight...they must be gravitatiing towards a lineup like this since they want to be more athletic and uptempo...

Tinsley
Jackson
Granger
Harrington
O'neal

IF(BIG IF) Tinsley stays healthy and Granger develops, thats a good starting 5, with Daniels, AJ and the rookies coming off the bench. We can be competitve in the Central....
exactly
PacerRaptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 09:10 PM   #7
scipio
I hit open 5-footers

scipio has an OK reputation so far

This upcoming season should be interesting. Despite my skepticism of Harrington, I think acquiring him is a good move and will improve the Pacers. Our acquisitions this summer definitely seem to be leading to the "faster, more athletic" team Bird wants. We're definitely back in the playoffs, and our division may very well be up for grabs. To me, there are two big questions after this deal (other than what we shipped out for Al):

What other moves will the Pacers try to make with the rest of the off season?

Is Rick Carlisle the right coach for this team and this style of play?

For the first question, I think the Pacers could still ship out some of our remaining guys to help us get another player who would really fit in our new up tempo style. For the second, I think that Carlisle is a very good coach, don't get me wrong. He was the sole bright spot for this team after the brawl, and I do not think that anyone who has ever coached basketball could have done a better job. However, Rick is more of a defense first, run the half court offense type of coach. If Bird really wants to make this a running team, Rick will have to really change his style and gameplans. Add to this that in the past Bird has said that teams start to tune out coaches after 3 seasons or so, and I think that Carlisle could end up going.
scipio is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: