Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Philadelphia 76ers Forum

Philadelphia 76ers Forum Philadelphia 76ers forum - 76ers message board - Sixers fan forum

Old 07-16-2006, 09:53 PM   #1
insidehoops
Administrator

insidehoops has disabled reputation
Default Can Sixers be defensive team with Iverson and Webber?

"Iverson knows that Billy King has declared that the Sixers will be a better defensive team next season. Improvement around the margins, your Rodney Carneys and Bobby Joneses, doesn't address that issue to any meaningful degree." Philadelphia Inquirer

"If Iverson and Webber are both on the roster at the start of the season, the Sixers have no chance to be a strong defensive unit; Iverson and Webber, both down for 40 minutes or so, just can't do it. So they'd have to, again, try to outscore their opponents." Philadelphia Inquirer
insidehoops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 09:55 PM   #2
Dat1
I brick open layups

Dat1 has an OK reputation so far

that is not true about iverson he has good defense but weber is old and slow he cant play any d
Dat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 12:06 AM   #3
rossballa67890
Can barely lace up my sneakers

rossballa67890 has an OK reputation so far

ya tahts true webbers too old and slow to play real good d
rossballa67890 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 01:02 PM   #4
NBAfan32
High school junior varsity star

NBAfan32 has an OK reputation so far

AI gambles too much on defense trying to get steals which is why the C and PF spot has to be excellent shot blockers and rebounders. Daly is perfect for that role but he's just boneheaded. CWebb on the other hand, doesnt have the legs to keep up with the quickness of players he's trying to guard and he can also be pretty late on rotations a few times. Basically, Sixers cant be a defensive team with Webber still manning the PF position. Get someone like Reggie Evans from the Free Agent market and make the team WANT to play defense, then you could have something.
NBAfan32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 07:13 PM   #5
douglaspuckett12

douglaspuckett12 has an OK reputation so far

sounds great, problem is.......sitting a guy on the bench that makes close to 20 mil a year.
douglaspuckett12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 07:25 PM   #6
sixerfan3511
Local High School Star

sixerfan3511 has decent reputation

who says u need to sit webber on the bench? evans is a high energy guy, come in and play 15-20 minutes, get 8 boards and do the intangibles. Thats why i think billy king is being such a dumba$$ for not already offering him the full midlevel if necesary. IDC HOW WE GET HIM! jus get him, thats what we need!
sixerfan3511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 11:14 PM   #7
Randy450

Randy450 has an OK reputation so far

The sixers would be much better if Webber did not play a minute the whole season. They might even make the playoffs. The sixers made the finals with a bunch of guys that had almost no offensive talent. Iverson can pick up the slack on offense, just get some guys that can play defense.
Randy450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 06:02 PM   #8
ppierce34

ppierce34 has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy450
The sixers would be much better if Webber did not play a minute the whole season. They might even make the playoffs. The sixers made the finals with a bunch of guys that had almost no offensive talent. Iverson can pick up the slack on offense, just get some guys that can play defense.

Let's not go overboard. Webber's D does kill the team, but he has a great impact on the offense. The team has been a very good offensive team since his coming over and it's not just his scoring ability, but his passing and ability to take pressure off AI and open up the offense. It's not a conicidence AI had his best season last year.
ppierce34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 07:54 PM   #9
Voice of Reason
Local High School Star

Voice of Reason has not been impressing people

New D rules prohibt Iggy from being agressive and he has to not only figure out how to defend like Artest/Bowen but also try and win that "respect" those two have. They do foul but the respect factor is there which gives them the benefit of the doubt whereas Iggy hasnt made a name for himself nor gained the respect yet.

A key player who could improve this D is Sam Dalembert. But he isnt smart enough to realize it. If he were and Iggy got some type of respect on the defensive end the team is better regardless of Webber and AI on the court. Trust.
Voice of Reason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 09:52 PM   #10
hot97x

hot97x has an OK reputation so far

As far as Allen and CWebb go, they are both poor defenders. Allen does indeed gamble far too often for steals. Chris is just flat out terrible defensively. At this point CWebb should be coming off the bench, if that means you start sam and hunter together then so be it. The team was something like 6-1 when chris didn't play last year, and i don't believe that is a coincidence.

Offensively, Chris really doesn't do as much as people seem to think. Ok he averaged 20 a game, but he shot 41% as a PF, that's absolutely disgusting. That's the equivilant of a guard shooting 35%. Furthermore he hinders ball movement way too much. Allen does the same thing but he is a one on one player. Webber is not, and he needs to learn how to not give a damn about how many points he scores and swing the ball instead of holding it when he's not open.

Unfortunately there is no way they can get rid of chris b/c of his contract, and Mo Cheeks isn't the type of coach that will bring him off the bench because of his respect for veterans. It's the same thing as Charlie Manual, why the hell is david bell starting at 3rd base everyday? Certainly not because Abraham Nunez was actually given a shot to start. As long as Manual is there, no matter how much Bell sucks, he's going to start because he's an old vet.
hot97x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 07:34 AM   #11
douglaspuckett12

douglaspuckett12 has an OK reputation so far

Webber pops that 20 footer the whole damn game'' sorry one baby hook from the post a game aswell''.

He is just about the most awful defender I have seen. Dalembert may not be a horrible if Webber's man was flying past him to the rim for Sammy to have to role over on.

Sammy just needs to watch alot of Camby tape and figure it out
WEAK SIDE MORON
douglaspuckett12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 08:11 AM   #12
ppierce34

You can't bring Webber off the bench, he's not gonna have it and it's not gonna better the team because neither Sam or Hunter are good enough to improve the defense that much. And Sam's poor defense, has little to do with Webber and a lot to do with him being a moron.

As for Webber on offense, yes he takes poor shots and holds the ball to often, but there is no denying he still has a positive impact on the offense and helps to open things up for everyone, especially AI.
Old 07-19-2006, 09:37 AM   #13
hot97x

hot97x has an OK reputation so far

I don't know what games you watch pierce, but everytime webber is off the courst the defense improves immensely. He is the worst defensive PF in the league. Reguardless of whether you have shavlick randolph or hunter in there in his place, the defense is 10x better without webber.

And it's pretty easy for me to deny that his offensive impact is a positive one when he shoots that hideous 41%. Furthermore, look at some of the absolutely atrocious turnovers he commits trying to handle and push the ball. For instance, he is the only player i've ever seen step over the baseline before he threw the ball inbounds after the other team scored a basket. I'm not talkin about all the times he almost does it, i'm talking about when he actually did it and the ref called him on it. He does this at least once a game, trying to dribble upcourt after a rebound because he thinks he's 25. Chris doesn't realize he's a role player at this point in his career. Hopefully someone in the sixers organization does.
hot97x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 05:22 PM   #14
ppierce34

Quote:
I don't know what games you watch pierce, but everytime webber is off the courst the defense improves immensely.

No, not immensely. Actually not even close to imensely. Going from **** to poop isn't anything special.

http://www.82games.com/0506/05PHI13D.HTM

Check out his on/off court stats. The defense got better, but nothing special.

Quote:
He is the worst defensive PF in the league. Reguardless of whether you have shavlick randolph or hunter in there in his place, the defense is 10x better without webber.

No, it's not. Not even close.

Quote:
And it's pretty easy for me to deny that his offensive impact is a positive one when he shoots that hideous 41%

Well if you're gonna ***** about his %, at least get it right. He shot just under 44%. Not good for a big man, but better than what you say. And I worry less about his % and more about his shot selection at times.

Quote:
Furthermore, look at some of the absolutely atrocious turnovers he commits trying to handle and push the ball.

He had a little over 2 TO's a game, give me a break, there are plenty of other things you can ***** about.

Quote:
For instance, he is the only player i've ever seen step over the baseline before he threw the ball inbounds after the other team scored a basket.

You're *****ing about a brain fart, hell AI as good as he is has those, too.

Quote:
I'm not talkin about all the times he almost does it, i'm talking about when he actually did it and the ref called him on it. He does this at least once a game, trying to dribble upcourt after a rebound because he thinks he's 25. Chris doesn't realize he's a role player at this point in his career. Hopefully someone in the sixers organization does.

You're exaggerating, he's not the player he was, but he's more than just a role player.
Old 07-19-2006, 09:34 PM   #15
SixerFan03
High School JV MVP

SixerFan03 has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppierce34
No, not immensely. Actually not even close to imensely. Going from **** to poop isn't anything special.

http://www.82games.com/0506/05PHI13D.HTM

Check out his on/off court stats. The defense got better, but nothing special.

Actually 6 points is a significant difference. Look at the differences for the other Sixers. Korver is a bad defender--2 points. Iverson--one point. The defense is much worse with Webber.
SixerFan03 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: