Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 09-02-2007, 11:55 PM   #16
AirGordon7
Decent playground baller

AirGordon7 has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Official #70 NBA Player Of All Time According To ISH

Connie Hawkins
AirGordon7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 11:58 PM   #17
IlliniFan
Very good NBA starter

IlliniFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIlliniFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIlliniFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIlliniFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIlliniFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIlliniFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIlliniFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIlliniFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIlliniFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Vince Carter. Pierce is not better. Ridiculous that you don't have him on the list for people to vote for.
IlliniFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 12:25 AM   #18
XxNeXuSxX
The Master Debater

XxNeXuSxX has an incredible reputation hereXxNeXuSxX has an incredible reputation hereXxNeXuSxX has an incredible reputation hereXxNeXuSxX has an incredible reputation hereXxNeXuSxX has an incredible reputation hereXxNeXuSxX has an incredible reputation hereXxNeXuSxX has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniFan
Pierce is not better.
Pierce is better than Carter at all things except dunking. Has been for his entire career.
XxNeXuSxX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 12:26 AM   #19
johndeeregreen
Oh yeah, Mitch Kramer?

johndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
24.1 PPG, 5.8 APG, 4.1 RPG,
Uh...no.
johndeeregreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 12:27 AM   #20
mhg88
Local High School Star

mhg88 is considered somewhat coolmhg88 is considered somewhat coolmhg88 is considered somewhat cool

Dwyane Wade
mhg88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 08:36 AM   #21
wally_world
M0derator

wally_world has decent reputationwally_world has decent reputation

i would give it to Grant Hill is it wan't for his injury... so im going with C-Webb!
wally_world is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 12:34 PM   #22
otmtheshank
Good High School Starter

otmtheshank has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kblaze8855
Zo and drexler also got second place once.

Zo only finished a couple votes behind Karl in MVP voting.I'd have to look it up, but I think that's the closest anyone not on the list has come to being named MVP. He also finished 3rd during Shaq's MVP season.

On to my vote, I've decided to vote for Dennis Johnson.

Dennis has a great combination of accolades that should get him on this list in the near future....

5 Time All-Star
6 All-NBA Defensive First Team
3 All-NBA Defensive Second Team
3 Time NBA Champion
1 Finals MVP
2 Top Ten Finishes in MVP voting(5th, 8th)
2 Other Seasons with MVP votes(21st, 18th)

Dennis Johnson's career stats are modest(14 ppg, 5apg, 4rpg), but he had all the intangibles a player should have. His greatest skill was arguably his defense. Dennis was one of the few players who could control the legendary Magic Johnson. Dennis shut Magic down as well as anybody could in the 1984 NBA Finals, allowing the Celtics to defeat their archrivals. Another example of Dennis's outstanding defense was against Philadelphia and Andrew Toney. Toney torched the Celtics the year before DJ's arrival. Next year, Dennis took him Toney completely out of the game, and allowed the Celtics to advance past the 76ers.

Dennis could do a lot more than just defense though, he could do practically whatever his team needed him to do. During his early days in Seattle he was mainly counted on to score and defend. His versatility reached another level during his Phoenix tenure. During his first year, he had to adjust to the Sun's fast-paced style. He adjusted well, and put up a career high PER, along with being an integral part in the Sun's 57 win season. His role with the Boston Celtic's changed dramatically. Instead of the athletic, highlight reel scorer Dennis was in his earlier days, he played played point guard for the Celtics, and continued to develop a solid mid-range game.

His separate Season career high's show some of his versatility....
Top Scoring Seasons
19.5, 19, 18.8
Top Rebounding Seasons
5.1, 5.1, 4.7
Top Passing Seasons
7.8, 7.5, 6.8

Dennis played great in the regular season, but played even better in the play-offs. He won a finals MVP with the Sonics after putting up 20ppg, 6rpg, and 4 apg in the play-offs, while playing smothering defense on Grevey/Dandridge.

In other play-off years....he put up
-22ppg, 4.4 rpg, 4.6 apg
-18ppg, 7.7 rpg, 5.7 apg
-19ppg, 9 apg

Individual play aside, Dennis Johnson was considered one of the greatest team players to ever play the game. Every team he played on was successful. Every team Dennis played on won atleast 40 games, including numerous seasons where his team won over 50/60 games. Dennis was also as durable as a player can come, playing in at least 70 games for his team each season.

Larry Bird himself named Dennis Johnson the greatest teammate he's ever had. Larry's played with quite a few great players.... McHale, Parish, Tiny, Pete, and yet he thought of DJ as a greater teammate than all of them.

I think what I wrote gives you a a good feeling of DJ's greatness, and I barely even got into DJ's clutch play's and amazing basketball IQ.

My vote goes to the late Dennis Johnson.
otmtheshank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 01:16 PM   #23
L.Kizzle
ISH's Negro Historian

L.Kizzle has an incredible reputation hereL.Kizzle has an incredible reputation hereL.Kizzle has an incredible reputation hereL.Kizzle has an incredible reputation hereL.Kizzle has an incredible reputation hereL.Kizzle has an incredible reputation hereL.Kizzle has an incredible reputation here

Lenny Wilkens or Vince Carter ... that's who it comes down to this round. They are both tied right now.
L.Kizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 03:34 PM   #24
D-Fence
Great young streetballer

D-Fence has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kblaze8855
Lenny was second to Wilt in 1968 ahead of Baylor, west, Russell, and Oscar.
I missed that--my mistake. That said, Wilt was far ahead of everyone in votes that year. Following the 1st Team votes as MVP voting for the years before the MVP, that would give Johnston the equivalent of a 2nd place finish and two 3rd place finishes, as well.

Quote:
He also made the finals I think twice and got to game 7 of the WCF 3 times after Bob retired. Lost to the Lakers in 2 of them.
Yeah, he went to the Finals twice with Bob Pettit leading the Hawks.
In 1966, post-Pettit and after a losing regular-season record, they took the Lakers to 7 before losing the Conference Finals. In 1967, they lost in 6 to the Warriors in the Conference Finals.

Quote:
And Johnson may have won the 55 MVP had they done voting but not if the voting went like it has historically. They only won 33 games. Had the 6th best record of 8 teams. Dolph Schayes led the best team and they went on to win the title. I wouldnt be suprised if he got MVP that year. Lebron led the league in all NBA votes a couple years ago and didnt win MVP. It can happen.
The first MVP, Bob Pettit, in 1956, played for a team with a losing record. Kareem Abdul-Jabbar was MVP once with a losing team record and despite not making the playoffs. That's when the players voted for MVP, though, so it's impossible to say who the players would have voted for prior to 1956; they disagreed with the media's All-NBA Teams quite often. The All-NBA Teams were the highest honor back then, so that's what I go with.

Anyhow, I said the previous round that Lenny Wilkens should make this list soon. I just think Johnston should make it sooner, which I'm sure he won't.
D-Fence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 03:48 PM   #25
Richie2k6
Smooth Like Butter

Richie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRichie2k6 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.Kizzle
Lenny Wilkens or Vince Carter ... that's who it comes down to this round. They are both tied right now.
Optimus Prime said he would save his vote to make sure Carter doesn't get in. I wonder where he is?
Richie2k6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 03:50 PM   #26
johndeeregreen
Oh yeah, Mitch Kramer?

johndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

I have no problem doing that, either.
johndeeregreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 08:17 PM   #27
L.Kizzle
ISH's Negro Historian

L.Kizzle has an incredible reputation hereL.Kizzle has an incredible reputation hereL.Kizzle has an incredible reputation hereL.Kizzle has an incredible reputation hereL.Kizzle has an incredible reputation hereL.Kizzle has an incredible reputation hereL.Kizzle has an incredible reputation here

Adrian Dantley

6 Time All-Star
2 All-NBA Second Teams
2 Scoring Titles

One of the greast fowards of the 1980's. Damn, AD has been getting votes sine the early 30's.
L.Kizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: