Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 09-03-2007, 01:28 PM   #16
Sharas
Great college starter

Sharas is considered somewhat coolSharas is considered somewhat coolSharas is considered somewhat cool
Default Re: Why are you people so shocked to discover that Lebron is really good?

basically no one is surprised that lebron is a great basketball player. but he had a lousy display at the WC last year, so people are surprised to see him do so well in the international game. (and to be honest, competition is much weaker than on WC)

63% from 3, who would see that coming? from anyone, not just lebron?
Sharas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 02:40 PM   #17
geeWiz15
Quality Posts™

geeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation here
Default Re: Why are you people so shocked to discover that Lebron is really good?

Quote:
basically no one is surprised that lebron is a great basketball player. but he had a lousy display at the WC last year, so people are surprised to see him do so well in the international game.
I shot about 1 for 10 total in all my scrimmages at Varsity tryouts, then went on to shoot over 50% playing against 16 year olds in House league.

I didn't improve, the competition got worse.

Bron's improved play is also an issue of this team finally being a cohesive group rather than a mishmash of talent. Kidd and Kobe being a huge reason for this. Again, I just don't see it as a change in Lebron nearly much as a change in everything else.
geeWiz15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 02:42 PM   #18
saKf
Roy = my new fave.

saKf is a pretty well-respected postersaKf is a pretty well-respected postersaKf is a pretty well-respected postersaKf is a pretty well-respected poster

*agrees with geeWiz, pointing to situation rather than player*
saKf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 03:04 PM   #19
adamcz
Bucks fan

adamcz is considered somewhat cooladamcz is considered somewhat cooladamcz is considered somewhat cool

This thread made me look up Cleveland's salary situation... they really are in a hopeless situation. Earliest they'll have cap space is 2010, so there's no way they can wait for it. They also don't have any players they could package to aquire a 2nd all star. I don't understand at all how they expect to put good players around Lebron.

I feel like as basketball fans, we're getting jipped. The best player of his generation, and we have to watch him with Larry Hughes and Zydrunas Ilgauskas? Does anybody see a plausible solution?
adamcz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 03:08 PM   #20
adamcz
Bucks fan

adamcz is considered somewhat cooladamcz is considered somewhat cooladamcz is considered somewhat cool

To reply to my own post, Cleveland really should plan for the 2010 offeason. It's a fact that they won't be good before then, so they should just sign role players to two and three year deals, and have absolutely nothing on the books past then. Lebron will only be 26/27 at that point, and they can take a shot at aquiring Dwyane Wade or Bosh (didn't they sign identical contracts to Lebron with an opt out that year?). How did they back themselves into this corner?
Old 09-03-2007, 03:09 PM   #21
Indian guy
Very good NBA starter

Indian guy has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knoe Itawl
People who don't expect a 22 year old player, with the talent that Bron has not to improve would be shocked.

Oh, it wasn't that I didn't expect him to improve. Like you said, he's only 22! I just didn't expect the improvement to be so quick and drastic. Surely his amazing efficiency surprised you too, Knoe?
Indian guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 03:19 PM   #22
Kblaze8855
Titles are overrated

Kblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

A couple years ago I asked a similar question when people were saying he couldnt shoot. This was right after a year he made more 3s than Michael Redd and shot .351 to Redds .355. In the last 3 years hes made 334 threes and shot a very respectable .335. Hes more than halfway to Larry Birds career 3 point total. Chris Mullin never made 100 threes till he was a Pacer well past his prime as just a spot up shooter. In fact in his prime(first 9 seasons) Chris Mullin averaged 43 made threes a year on 32.3 percent shooting. Am I saying Lebron is a better(or even approaching equal) shooter when compared to Bird and Mullin? Of course not. What im saying is he does make outside shots at a rate equal to or greater than plenty of guys considered amazing pure shooters. Granted thats more a lack of understanding of the kind of game those players really played...but still.

Perception issue really.

To show a bit more of what I mean...many say Lebron cant shoot. If he keeps up the rate hes on for the last 3 years by the time hes played as many seasons as Reggie Miller did he will be over 2000 threes for his career. Right now only Reggie Miller has that many and Ray Allen is second with 1800 or so. Only 10 players even have the 1300 Lebron is on pace to have by the time hes about 30 or 31.

Of course by then guys like Arenas, Ray Allen, and maybe even Kobe will have changed a lot of the records but im just saying....Lebron is a guy who many think cant shoot from outside...but hes almost a lock to pass just about everyone ever considered a great outside shooter. Not in percentage but in total. And his percentage is hardly terrible. If he stays in the 32-35% hes been at he will end his career as a more than respectable outside shooter by percentage and pretty high on the career totals list.

Lebron isnt a great shooter but it didnt make sense to say he couldnt shoot as early as his second season.
Kblaze8855 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 03:25 PM   #23
Knoe Itawl
Bringer of Light

Knoe Itawl has not been impressing people

People are sheep blaze. They just parrot what the popular sentiment on a player is, without bothering to analyze situations for themselves. It's the same thing with the whole DWade and the refs argument or DWade can't shoot stuff. Then you have people with certain agendas who really could care less about the truth as long as they can use negativity against a player they dislike.

Oh, and Indian, I'm not saying that 63% isn't surprising, but him to have a very efficient shooting tournament and continue to improve his stroke isn't.
Knoe Itawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 03:54 PM   #24
Heilige
An Icon Forever

Heilige has an incredible reputation hereHeilige has an incredible reputation hereHeilige has an incredible reputation hereHeilige has an incredible reputation hereHeilige has an incredible reputation hereHeilige has an incredible reputation hereHeilige has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
People who don't expect a 22 year old player, with the talent that Bron has not to improve would be shocked. Personally, I expect him to keep improving his game and while his improved stroke has been great to watch, I wouldn't say I'm "shocked" by it. Why people think players like Bron or Wade should just stay stagnant and not broaden their games, given their ages, talent and drive is beyond me.

Drive; that is the key thing. I think may people feel that LeBron doesn't have the drive to improve a whole lot. Do you see what I mean?
Heilige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 03:55 PM   #25
Heilige
An Icon Forever

Heilige has an incredible reputation hereHeilige has an incredible reputation hereHeilige has an incredible reputation hereHeilige has an incredible reputation hereHeilige has an incredible reputation hereHeilige has an incredible reputation hereHeilige has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Then you have people with certain agendas who really could care less about the truth as long as they can use negativity against a player they dislike.

Well if this isn't the pot calling the kettle black nothing is.
Heilige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 03:57 PM   #26
adamcz
Bucks fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heilige
Drive; that is the key thing. I think may people feel that LeBron doesn't have the drive to improve a whole lot. Do you see what I mean?
I agree that people feel that way, but disagree that it reflects reality. I think he's already proven to get better as a defender - all he really needs now is to get better with his shot selection (which is probably 25% his fault and 75% not having better teammates to pass to) and he'll be contending.
Old 09-03-2007, 03:58 PM   #27
Kobe24
Banned

Kobe24 is considered somewhat coolKobe24 is considered somewhat coolKobe24 is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
I feel like as basketball fans, we're getting jipped. The best player of his generation, and we have to watch him with Larry Hughes and Zydrunas Ilgauskas? Does anybody see a plausible solution?

Kobe is on the same boat.
Kobe24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 04:16 PM   #28
VCMVP1551
NBA sixth man of the year

VCMVP1551 is popular on this boardVCMVP1551 is popular on this boardVCMVP1551 is popular on this boardVCMVP1551 is popular on this board

Lebron hasn't improved from his 05'-06' year but he is much better than he was in his rookie year. Lebron I think is best suited to play the point forward role he played in the playoffs when he averaged 25, 8 and 8.
VCMVP1551 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 05:39 PM   #29
geeWiz15
Quality Posts™

geeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation here

Quote:
Kobe is on the same boat.
Kobe's team has much more potential to be decent than Lebron's. Unless he changes teams this is going to be Lebron's supporting cast for at least the next 2 seasons. Lakers have plenty of tradeable pieces and their salary situation isn't awful. They could have Kidd at this very moment and be better than the Cavs by a lot. They could still get JO which would also make them better. And hell they got Bynum who is the best prospect on either team, and Odom, who is better than anyone on the Cavs although he and Kobe are a horrible fit.
geeWiz15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 05:55 PM   #30
IGOTGAME
NBA All-star

IGOTGAME has a terrific reputationIGOTGAME has a terrific reputationIGOTGAME has a terrific reputationIGOTGAME has a terrific reputationIGOTGAME has a terrific reputationIGOTGAME has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeWiz15
Kobe's team has much more potential to be decent than Lebron's. Unless he changes teams this is going to be Lebron's supporting cast for at least the next 2 seasons. Lakers have plenty of tradeable pieces and their salary situation isn't awful. They could have Kidd at this very moment and be better than the Cavs by a lot. They could still get JO which would also make them better. And hell they got Bynum who is the best prospect on either team, and Odom, who is better than anyone on the Cavs although he and Kobe are a horrible fit.
Its not about Kobe's team being better then Brons.. They dont play in the same conference.. The teams in the West are so much better in the West and it plays a huge part...

If the Cavs to play in a conference were in the first round they have to play Spurs, Suns, MAvs, Houston, Utah, Denver, Golden State in the first round I think it would be a little different...

But I think the Lakers will surprise this year...people say they wont make the playoffs but I see them winning 50 + games...Fisher aggressiveness along with Critterion will help.. I think the Lakers will surprise and the same people that say they werent gonna make the playoffs will be saying they are doing what they are susposed too come MVP time

Last edited by IGOTGAME : 09-03-2007 at 05:59 PM.
IGOTGAME is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: