Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 09-05-2007, 05:50 PM   #16
IGOTGAME
NBA All-star

IGOTGAME has a terrific reputationIGOTGAME has a terrific reputationIGOTGAME has a terrific reputationIGOTGAME has a terrific reputationIGOTGAME has a terrific reputationIGOTGAME has a terrific reputation
Default Re: Durant To Start At Shooting Guard?

Quote:
Originally Posted by abuC
Durant was 6"9 and change without shoes and 6"10 and a quarter with shoes, that was from the combine. Maybe he grew a tiny bit, he is only 18 afterall.

Durant is every bit of 6"10...

I think this is a huge mistake..Play him at small forward/power forward(let him take the first bumps and bruises) because that is where he will eventually cause the biggest mismathces... I think he can put on enough muscle to be ok there defensively and offensively he could be a smother more athletic Dirk with a heart...
IGOTGAME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 06:32 PM   #17
adamcz
Bucks fan

adamcz is considered somewhat cooladamcz is considered somewhat cooladamcz is considered somewhat cool

I don't think he can guard sg's. Ben Gordon, Kobe Bryant, Dwyane Wade, Michael Redd, Ray Allen, Allen Iverson, Jason Richardson, Tracy McGrady.... Coach is going to put Durant on those guys??
adamcz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 06:55 PM   #18
2minutedrill32
I airball my layups

2minutedrill32 has an OK reputation so far

No...Jeff Green/Damien Wilkins/Gelebale are going to guard the tougher assignments...Durant will guard the weaker ones. Just because you play "shooting guard" doesnt mean you HAVE to man-up on the other team's "shooting guard." Is there really that much of a difference in positions besides what the lineup card says half the time with wing players anyway?

For instance vs. Houston, Green will guard T-Mac, Durant will guard Battier.

Vs. San Antonio, Green will guard Ginobili, Durant will guard Bowen.

Vs. Suns...hmmmm...Raja Bell or Grant Hill...probly doesnt matter a ton.

vs. Hornets...Peja or Mo-Pete...guard 3's...or...guard 3's

vs. Nuggets...JR Smith or Melo...he gets to guard the 2-guard

vs. Jazz...Giricek/Brewer/Almond or Kirilenko...probably could put him on either

vs. Lakers...he'll probably guard Luke Walton or Odom

Anyone here think Wally World can actually play defense against ANY player better than Durant? I'll take my chances with a 7'5" wingspan and decent athleticism over Wally...annnnnnnyday.
2minutedrill32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 06:56 PM   #19
2minutedrill32
I airball my layups

2minutedrill32 has an OK reputation so far

Bruce Bowen is listed as a small forward, but guards the 2-guards all the time.
2minutedrill32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 07:00 PM   #20
abuC
Cuba

abuC is a pretty well-respected posterabuC is a pretty well-respected posterabuC is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by IGOTGAME
Durant is every bit of 6"10...

I think this is a huge mistake..Play him at small forward/power forward(let him take the first bumps and bruises) because that is where he will eventually cause the biggest mismathces... I think he can put on enough muscle to be ok there defensively and offensively he could be a smother more athletic Dirk with a heart...
The biggest mismatches for Durant would be at the 2 or 4, the 3 spot is littered with guys who are between 6"7-6"11 with varied skillsets. He would have to get up into the 250 range to be considered a really big mismatch at the 3, LeBron is up to 260lbs now.
abuC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 07:12 PM   #21
PacerRaptor
B-Rush for ROY

PacerRaptor has decent reputationPacerRaptor has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2minutedrill32
Bruce Bowen is listed as a small forward, but guards the 2-guards all the time.
not all the time...heres a few teams where he wont:
- Utah
- Nuggets
- Pacers
- Cavs

just to name a few
PacerRaptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 07:22 PM   #22
geeWiz15
Quality Posts™

geeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation here

we started Jared Jeffries for awhile at SG and Jeffries was taller than Durant.
geeWiz15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 07:25 PM   #23
abuC
Cuba

abuC is a pretty well-respected posterabuC is a pretty well-respected posterabuC is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeWiz15
we started Jared Jeffries for awhile at SG and Jeffries was taller than Durant.

Demarr Johnson is also another tall 2, wonder how good he could have been if he didnt break his neck.
abuC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 07:36 PM   #24
Da KO King
NBA sixth man of the year

Da KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputation

The issue isn't (or it shouldn't be) how tall Durant is.

The issue is he can not guard opposing SG's which means you HAVE to have a SF along side him that can. Plus he's not good off the ball offensively and doesn't have he quickness and ball-handling to consistently beat oppsing SG's off the dribble.
Da KO King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 07:39 PM   #25
adamcz
Bucks fan

adamcz is considered somewhat cooladamcz is considered somewhat cooladamcz is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2minutedrill32
Just because you play "shooting guard" doesnt mean you HAVE to man-up on the other team's "shooting guard."
Well what does it mean to play shooting guard then? If you play as a slasher on offense, and guard Battier, Simmons, Walton, Wallace, Noccioni on defense, aren't you playing SF? I do understand that the positions can sort of blend together, but if you mostly guard SFs on defense, and play like a SF on offense....
adamcz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 08:11 PM   #26
JohnnyBravo5
Local High School Star

JohnnyBravo5 has an OK reputation so far

That is the same bullshi# they tried to do to Josh Smith his rookie year, so that they could play him Toine and Al Harrington on the same squad.
JohnnyBravo5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 10:14 PM   #27
jerky10
Decent playground baller

jerky10 has not been impressing people

I think Durant will start at SF and Wally at SG.. Green will come off the bench.. Wally is a good player. I think most of you forget this.
jerky10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 10:28 PM   #28
GOBB_Junior
Banned

GOBB_Junior is a pretty well-respected posterGOBB_Junior is a pretty well-respected posterGOBB_Junior is a pretty well-respected poster

Kevin Durant was measured at 6'9 with out shoes in the 2007 NBA Pre Draft Measurement and he is 6'10 1/4 while wearing his socks and sneakers. Jeff Green is measured at 6'7 3/4 ( with out shoes ) and was listed at 6'9.

http://blog.oregonlive.com/behindbla...%20Results.xls

2007 NBA Pre Draft Measurement

PS:

Dirk Nowitzki is measured at 6'10 in the 1998 NBA Pre Draft Camp, which prove that the trivia in wikipedia is slightly wrong considering that he was being mentioned as being the 1st 7 -footer to win the 3 pts. competition.

Last edited by GOBB_Junior : 09-05-2007 at 10:34 PM.
GOBB_Junior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 10:29 PM   #29
IGOTGAME
NBA All-star

IGOTGAME has a terrific reputationIGOTGAME has a terrific reputationIGOTGAME has a terrific reputationIGOTGAME has a terrific reputationIGOTGAME has a terrific reputationIGOTGAME has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da KO King
The issue isn't (or it shouldn't be) how tall Durant is.

The issue is he can not guard opposing SG's which means you HAVE to have a SF along side him that can. Plus he's not good off the ball offensively and doesn't have he quickness and ball-handling to consistently beat oppsing SG's off the dribble.

were do you get this..he played good off the ball in Texas..and looked good off the ball with team usa as well...
IGOTGAME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 11:07 PM   #30
wang4three
NJ Net Fan For Life.

wang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation here

He'll be fine. I assume the team is conceeding that they're going to suck defensively anyway and might as well try it out.
wang4three is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: