Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Denver Nuggets Forum

Denver Nuggets Forum Denver Nuggets forum - Denver Nuggets message board

Old 07-17-2006, 11:40 AM   #1
RapsFan
Great college starter

RapsFan is a pretty well-respected posterRapsFan is a pretty well-respected posterRapsFan is a pretty well-respected poster
Default JR Smith

Just curious how pumped Nuggets fans are about this potential steal? You guys have needed a legit SG for a long time and Smith has all star potential if Karl can get it out of him. He is long, crazy athletic and can shoot!! Shoot! Which is all the Nuggets really need (along with health) to be a legit contender. I am sure people will say he's a headcase etc etc, but the reality is, we don't know the whole story and Byron Scott has had other player coach issues, so JR wasn't an isolated incident.
RapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 12:32 PM   #2
roscoe66
Can barely lace up my sneakers

roscoe66 has an OK reputation so far

It's true, this is a steal! This kid is very young, makes a low salary, and has potential out the roof! He is rumored to not play defense, which is what I think Demarr was sitting the pine for so long for, so I'm not sure how Karl will handle it. But getting him now, rather than in the middle of the season, will give the coaches a chance to work with him in training camp and get him on board with what we do. He has all the physical skills to be a good defender/shooter/slasher to complement Melo. Granted, it might take a while, but what's the risk? 1.5 mil., that's half of what Elson will make if we match his offer, so that says it all. This could be a huge deal for us, and coming at such a low price!
roscoe66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 06:04 PM   #3
HORNETSFAN

HORNETSFAN has an OK reputation so far

He is in a good situation with Denver as he would not have gotten any playing time in Chicago. I would not stress that he can "shoot." He has range, but he is under 40% for his career in FG% and makes terrible decisions. He gets into a habit of just chunking up 3s when he should be driving to the basket. If he ever matures and realizes he has to work to be a star in the NBA (rather than have it handed to him), he could be pretty good. Also, it would be a big help if his Dad butted out and did not try to tell the team how to do things (particularly from his seat behind the bench during games).
HORNETSFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 07:21 PM   #4
douglaspuckett12

douglaspuckett12 has an OK reputation so far

Can we say a Quinten Richardson without as strong of a jumper.
Maybe he can help us in our goal for Iverson.
douglaspuckett12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 07:25 PM   #5
marny_navis
Banned

marny_navis has decent reputation

This is the entire breakdown of the deal so far:

Bull receive:
contract to Howard Eisley
2nd round pick (not yet named)
2nd round pick (not yet named)

Nuggets receive:
J.R. Smith

I like the trade in Chicago's point of view. They pick up a couple of 2nd rounders. They can use them to keep improving their defense and athleticism, or trade for a veteran. My favorite part of the deal though is the contract to Howard Eisley. The Bulls are going to waive him so they can sign Adrian Griffin, a G/F who played many of his years in Dallas and is known for his great perimeter defense. He will bring veteran leadership to the Bulls and can take pressure off Kirk Hinrich on defense and guard the best player on the other team. I think he could and should start at the SF right away.

Now for the Nuggets point of view: They did get a star in J.R. Smith, but that might be the problem. There is no doubt he is a great player with the potential to be a star, but how will he react to playing second fiddle to Carmelo? I expect him do demand a trade midseason and go somewhere he could score. Don't get too happy yet, b/c as good as he is, he will most likely be the Ron Artest of the locker room. So no, I do not like this trade in Denver's eyes.

Here is the link from where I got it:

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drm...849650,00.html
marny_navis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 08:01 PM   #6
Pokerface
Great young streetballer

Pokerface has an OK reputation so far
Talking J. R. Smith

Give the kid a break, after all, he's only 20 years old. I watched the McDonald's high school All-star game that he played in a few years ago, and he shot the lights out from beyond the 3-point line. He has great potential, and I believe that AD, Melo, Karl, Camby and others will help him to mature and develop into a great player. In time, he could be the missing piece to help put the Nuggets over the hump. It's a great move by the Nuggets with very little risk.
Pokerface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 10:16 PM   #7
AIR SETH
Local High School Star

AIR SETH has decent reputation

I am going to say, this was an excellent deal for the Nuggets. JR Smith has a lot of talent and a lot of potential. Good job Denver management.
AIR SETH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 01:25 PM   #8
The Real GM

The Real GM has an OK reputation so far
Exclamation

Marny Navis is right about everything, except starting Griffin at the SF. Nocioni should start at small while Deng will get large minutes off the bench. Nocioni and Deng are versatile, so Griffin will see some time at SF, but will play more SG. SG's are usually better scorers than SF'S in today's NBA, so Griffin will spend alot of time guarding the go to guy at SG. It was a great deal for Chicago, but Denver could get a steal. He is cheap and gives them three point range (abysmal percentage), but better than any other shooter currently on Denver. Yes, I hate Smith's game, but there aren't many other SG's on the free agent market. Hopefully, they will sign Casey Jacoubsen from summer league who can shoot. All teams will pack the lane on Denver, daring them to shoot a jumper, like last year in the playoffs when they flat out stunk the place up. Denver won't make the playoffs this year, because Utah's better and Denver still can't shoot. Are they ever going to get rid of Kenyon? If they could get a high percentage jump shooter for him they would vastly improve, but nobody wants his bloated contract, and his broken down knees. Overall, great deal for Chicago!
The Real GM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 04:48 PM   #9
cyco127
Local High School Star

cyco127 has an OK reputation so far

This is funny. Poor George Karl. Smith'll spend alot of time in Karl's doghouse, with K-Mart. So far JR Smith seems to give up more on defense than he gives offensively.
cyco127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 07:37 PM   #10
marny_navis
Banned

Quote:
Give the kid a break, after all, he's only 20 years old. I watched the McDonald's high school All-star game that he played in a few years ago, and he shot the lights out from beyond the 3-point line. He has great potential, and I believe that AD, Melo, Karl, Camby and others will help him to mature and develop into a great player. In time, he could be the missing piece to help put the Nuggets over the hump. It's a great move by the Nuggets with very little risk.

Yes but K-Mart will take him under his wing.
Old 07-18-2006, 07:39 PM   #11
marny_navis
Banned

Quote:
Marny Navis is right about everything, except starting Griffin at the SF. Nocioni should start at small while Deng will get large minutes off the bench. Nocioni and Deng are versatile, so Griffin will see some time at SF, but will play more SG. SG's are usually better scorers than SF'S in today's NBA, so Griffin will spend alot of time guarding the go to guy at SG. It was a great deal for Chicago, but Denver could get a steal. He is cheap and gives them three point range (abysmal percentage), but better than any other shooter currently on Denver. Yes, I hate Smith's game, but there aren't many other SG's on the free agent market. Hopefully, they will sign Casey Jacoubsen from summer league who can shoot. All teams will pack the lane on Denver, daring them to shoot a jumper, like last year in the playoffs when they flat out stunk the place up. Denver won't make the playoffs this year, because Utah's better and Denver still can't shoot. Are they ever going to get rid of Kenyon? If they could get a high percentage jump shooter for him they would vastly improve, but nobody wants his bloated contract, and his broken down knees. Overall, great deal for Chicago!

Thanks, I try. I'm only 13, so I'll probably make a few mistakes. And you are right about Griffin, but I hope he will get a nice amount of minutes off the bench to give Chicago some defense. He is getting older so he might be wearing down a bit so you are right to have him coming off the bench.
Old 07-21-2006, 10:24 AM   #12
Czar
I airball my layups

Czar has an OK reputation so far

This is a great move.
Czar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 08:05 PM   #13
marny_navis
Banned

I don't like Smith as a player that much, and I feel he will only play up to his potential if he is in an environment where he can be THE man. He has a small contract though, so it is worth the risk. I think this would be a great stepping stone for him as the potential #2 man to Carmelo. He would do great things for an organization like the Raptors or the Nets, where I think he would be able to showcase his talent playing alongside Krstic, Antoine Wright, and Marcus Williams in the future, and would be able to step in at SG when Carter goes out. For the Raptors he would be like Rashard Lewis at SG, which I think is a good comparison for him. I think he's hurt his career in New Orleans, and getting traded twice this offseason did even more damage. I think he will put up Rashard Lewis numbers at best in his prime, Kobe and T-Mac comparison's are off now. But he would still be a valuable asset for Denver, just I think he could be cancer, just what you need when you already have K-Mart in the lockerrom. And cancer spreads. And it is not pretty when it does. Cancer does damage, you know.
Old 07-25-2006, 08:21 PM   #14
whaley82
High School JV MVP

whaley82 has decent reputation

K-Mart is not a cancer...He was just having a rough 2 seasons because of his knee. And him wanting to play but not being able to. But just wait this season he should be rested and ready to become the beast/monster that he is and become one of Denvers best players. The Dude is a 18/9 guy with a couple blocks and a massive defencive player. He will help Denver once his knees are 100%.
whaley82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 07:28 PM   #15
RapsFan
Great college starter

RapsFan is a pretty well-respected posterRapsFan is a pretty well-respected posterRapsFan is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by whaley82
K-Mart is not a cancer...He was just having a rough 2 seasons because of his knee. And him wanting to play but not being able to. But just wait this season he should be rested and ready to become the beast/monster that he is and become one of Denvers best players. The Dude is a 18/9 guy with a couple blocks and a massive defencive player. He will help Denver once his knees are 100%.

Kmart is ok....he isn't 18/9 with 2 blks, considering he has averaged at best 16.7 pts and has been over 9 bds once in his career....as well as never got 2 blks per. He is a good defender, but he benefited from playing with Kidd in his prime big time. Of all the contracts in the history or the league, no kidding, I think his is the worst. Considering the injuries and the draft picks that need to also be taken into account.
RapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: