Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Video Games Forum

Video Games Forum Video game forum - video games message board

Old 09-06-2007, 10:33 AM   #16
SCREWstonRockets
Houston Texan

SCREWstonRockets is a pretty well-respected posterSCREWstonRockets is a pretty well-respected posterSCREWstonRockets is a pretty well-respected posterSCREWstonRockets is a pretty well-respected poster
Default Re: NBA Live vs. NBA 2K

blah blah blah, you said absolutely nothing. Thats always the excuse for NBA Live, "You can always change the setting if you don't like it." Well guess what, you shouldn't have to mess with every single slider just to get some realism into the game. With NBA 2K, it plays great out the box. Of course you can change the sliders to make it play even better but the whole point is that you don't even have to do that to enjoy the game. Just pop in the disc and play.

2K could have easily half assed like EA to where you have to change the sliders in order to have a playable game but chose not to. They made it well enough that you can play it right out the box without much customization. While with NBA Live, you have to change up every single slider just to have a somewhat enjoyable game and it still doesn't match the gameplay of 2k (on default). Change the 2k sliders/settings like you do with NBA Live and it's not even a competition anymore. Point being, 2k was already a great game out of the box while NBA Live needs a complete tune up. Which game is better again?
SCREWstonRockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 11:36 AM   #17
ThePrince
I brick open layups

ThePrince has an OK reputation so far

Demo for Live 08 is out on xbox marketplace...
Its a vast improvement over 07, i only played a couple of minutes
i'll be sure to really play it out and see how i feel later on tonight.
There is a lot of reason to bash live, but check the demo out if u have 360, then see how u feel
ThePrince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 11:41 AM   #18
RapsFan
Great college starter

RapsFan is a pretty well-respected posterRapsFan is a pretty well-respected posterRapsFan is a pretty well-respected poster

I can't believe these threads still exist as 2K is easily the better product. I also can't believe literally ANY ONE PERSON would buy Live after experiencing Live '07.....totally unforgiveable. And like was previously said, you should have to alter all the rating to make the game reasonable and even if you did, the graphics and the simple act of shooting the basketball looked horrible and was a chore in Live. I was always Live pre '07 as I was too stubborn to switch even though everyone said 2k was better. I finally made the switch and am pumped for '08 now.
RapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 11:43 AM   #19
IGOTGAME
NBA All-star

IGOTGAME has a terrific reputationIGOTGAME has a terrific reputationIGOTGAME has a terrific reputationIGOTGAME has a terrific reputationIGOTGAME has a terrific reputationIGOTGAME has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamcz
There are lots of things that cannot be fixed with settings. Fludity of animations (not just how good each animation looks, but the flow from one to the next), intelligence of the computer controlled players, atmosphere, depth of features (especially dynasty mode and online leagues).

Also lots of people like to play online against other players - in this setting you can't tweak anything and have to play with the defaults.

thats why the setting have to be close to on point..When I play with my people I know you cant just switch around all these sliders and rrankings. You use one of the preset values like Superstar or HOF in 2k...Something has to be universal..You cant just change stuff around like that..

And I just done playing the Live demo and it is much better then last year..Parker plays just like himself but there are some problems..The shots done look right, the dunks look horrible, Lebron plays nothing like himself, the rebounding is bad, scoring is really easy, blocking animations look funny, post game is easy for all post players and quickstrike is too easy....
IGOTGAME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 11:44 AM   #20
Samurai Swoosh
Root Of All Evil

Samurai Swoosh is a pretty well-respected posterSamurai Swoosh is a pretty well-respected posterSamurai Swoosh is a pretty well-respected poster

NBA 2k series was the absolute king of basketball games until 2004. That was when Live finally stepped their game up. You guys keep proclaiming 2k as the best, but Live has removed itself from the insane, players flying everywhere ... "loosey goosey" / arcade like feel it had pre-2004. They mo-capped to players playing. 2k is great, don't get me wrong. The specialized moves are crazy ... but Live isn't as bad as yall make it out to be. The NBA game IS FAST. People say 2k is a better sim cause its slower. MYTH. NBA make look slow at times on TV, but trust in person, the game is the fastest one there is ... everything happens in a blink of an eye. Live captures that sim, strategizing feel, while also feeling like NBA basketball. Where players can take over, in almost like a pick up game type vibe while dominating an NBA game. In my personal opinion, the way the players move, how fast they are, and the sim mode of the 2k series gives a way more accurate feel to COLLEGE BASKETBALL then it does NBA. There is more strategy to NCAA bball, because you don't have as many players readily available that you can just cut loose and let them do their thing. The college game is micr-managed by a coach. In the NBA you're more free. So not only does Live have easily the best graphics of the bunch, it's feel it more of that of an NBA game. It's just ashame they can't combine that with 2k's insane amount of signature moves for players. Then it would be the best BBALL game of all-time.
Samurai Swoosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 11:45 AM   #21
JalenRawley
Local High School Star

JalenRawley has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
There are lots of things that cannot be fixed with settings. Fludity of animations (not just how good each animation looks, but the flow from one to the next), intelligence of the computer controlled players, atmosphere, depth of features (especially dynasty mode and online leagues).

Also lots of people like to play online against other players - in this setting you can't tweak anything and have to play with the defaults.

The fluidity of animations -can- be fixed with the graphics settings. You can't change how the original animations were programmed, but you can change how your graphics controller interprets them. There are plenty of graphics settings that can make things move more smoothly. For both of these games though, graphics are entirely subjective. Both games look great in their own way, neither stands out in any one area from the other. Players ice skate in both games. When you crank up the graphics settings, everything looks“hyper-realistically” plastic and fake. Some players look spot on perfect, others look nothing like their NBA counterparts. Some dunk, layup and shot animations look good, others look really poor. Neither game has everything right.

AI can definitely be fixed with the settings, excluding any bugs in the programming of course, and every single game has bugs and exploits with their AI, it’s just a matter of which bugs and exploits come with which game. One way I fix the AI in games is by not cranking it up to it’s highest setting. At the highest settings, more bugs and exploits show through from the AI, and the AI seems to cheat or take cheap shots a bit more. I take it one notch back, and increase the difficulty via the other settings (shooting, defense, etc). The AI isn’t any less intelligent, just a little bit less likely to try and scream in for the dunk from the free throw line with Earl Boykins. A good example involving NBA Live is how the point guards tended to dominate play. Set the primacy slider correctly for each player and suddenly the teams start playing correctly. When you make a trade, make sure you adjust the primacy to reflect who is going to get the ball more often. One major AI complaint easily solved.

Depth of features comes down to subjectivity. Both NBA Live and NBA 2K have lots of features, each has something the other does not, and over the years each has “borrowed” from the other as they’ve added new things. Some features you will like, others you will not like, and some you could care less about. All-Star game, shot stick, crossover stick, Dynasty, etc., these come down to what you want out of the game. If all you care about is quick little 2 minute quarter games, does that mean the other game sucks because it has a season or multiple-season mode? No, it means one is more geared towards your tastes, not “that one sucks”. I -hate- the shot stick, and I think the crossover stick is mind-intuitive and really makes ball handling more realistic. Does this mean 2K sucks and NBA Live is the greatest game on the planet? No, it just means that I prefer the way Live did this one particular feature. However, go look back through the billions of 2K vs. Live threads and look at how many people have said Live sucks because it doesn’t have the shot stick.

As far as playing online against other players, first I’d simply consider this under “depth of features”. Second, I’d rather pull my fingernails and toenails out with a pair of vice grips, peel my **** like a banana and soak in a tub filled with rubbing alcohol than play with some random ****ing retard gamer. Too many kids, too many retards, too many hackers, and just too many people just trying to cheat and exploit the game in any way possible. I’d rather play with someone that’s going to -actually- play the game of basketball. I’d rather play with someone that I know will result in a fun game, and I’d rather do it in person. If anyone wants to play with little random net kiddies, with the default rosters from a bygone era, more power to ‘em. But since -neither- game comes with good default settings because they’re designed with the lowest common denominator in mind, this one pretty much balances out between them.

It’s really simple: The games are essentially identical. Neither one is ahead of the other by any great length until you weigh the highly subjective features of each against each other, and your preferences are what skew the results in the favor of one or the other. One does not “suck” compared to the other just because you do not like it.
JalenRawley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 11:45 AM   #22
adamcz
Bucks fan

adamcz is considered somewhat cooladamcz is considered somewhat cooladamcz is considered somewhat cool

When I dunked with Lebron, it was like he leaped up at 100 mph out of nowhere. Like dynamite sent him from the freethrow line to the hoop in a split second. Really weird.
adamcz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 11:49 AM   #23
IGOTGAME
NBA All-star

IGOTGAME has a terrific reputationIGOTGAME has a terrific reputationIGOTGAME has a terrific reputationIGOTGAME has a terrific reputationIGOTGAME has a terrific reputationIGOTGAME has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by JalenRawley
As far as playing online against other players, first I’d simply consider this under “depth of features”. Second, I’d rather pull my fingernails and toenails out with a pair of vice grips, peel my **** like a banana and soak in a tub filled with rubbing alcohol than play with some random ****ing retard gamer. Too many kids, too many retards, too many hackers, and just too many people just trying to cheat and exploit the game in any way possible. I’d rather play with someone that’s going to -actually- play the game of basketball. I’d rather play with someone that I know will result in a fun game, and I’d rather do it in person. If anyone wants to play with little random net kiddies, with the default rosters from a bygone era, more power to ‘em. But since -neither- game comes with good default settings because they’re designed with the lowest common denominator in mind, this one pretty much balances out between them.

It’s really simple: The games are essentially identical. Neither one is ahead of the other by any great length until you weigh the highly subjective features of each against each other, and your preferences are what skew the results in the favor of one or the other. One does not “suck” compared to the other just because you do not like it.

Not every1 can get to play people they know in person..They play them online because It can bring someone from Jersey and Cali together for a game...So yeah thats a big deal for me..

And the games are nothing close to identical..Please tell me how you fix the poor ball and net physics or the funny dunk animations adamcz mentions...or the fact that Live's 08 sig shots look really off... and 2k7s were better and more plentiful last year.
IGOTGAME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 11:50 AM   #24
RapsFan
Great college starter

RapsFan is a pretty well-respected posterRapsFan is a pretty well-respected posterRapsFan is a pretty well-respected poster

I actually found Live to be very slow compared to 2K. There were no fastbreaks in Live at all, so unrealistic.

Again, I just can't see how anyone could handle playing Live'07 and not be so pissed off you were charged over $50 for such a piece of **** game. That alone should be enough to at least try 2K.

My only advice to those who were like I used to be..stubborn....try both. Rent both before buying and give 2K a chance to get used to the new controls and then make your decision.
RapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 11:52 AM   #25
adamcz
Bucks fan

adamcz is considered somewhat cooladamcz is considered somewhat cooladamcz is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by JalenRawley
The fluidity of animations -can- be fixed with the graphics settings.
I didn't read the rest of your post yet, but I just wanted to say I have no idea what you're talking about. There are no graphics settings to change in 2k7; are there in Live?

Does anybody want to post the overall review scores for 2k7 and Live07 from the major review sites? I seem to remember every single site reviewing 2k7 a few points higher.
Old 09-06-2007, 11:56 AM   #26
Samurai Swoosh
Root Of All Evil

Samurai Swoosh is a pretty well-respected posterSamurai Swoosh is a pretty well-respected posterSamurai Swoosh is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
When I dunked with Lebron, it was like he leaped up at 100 mph out of nowhere. Like dynamite sent him from the freethrow line to the hoop in a split second. Really weird.
That's actually fairly accurate. LeBOOM explodes like that. You didn't see that one dunk in the tournament last week, where he was just like coasting ... then all of a sudden it looked like he was the rocketeer and he shot straight up from like a step inside the free-throw line and dunked.
Samurai Swoosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 11:58 AM   #27
adamcz
Bucks fan

How can you tell me that what I saw was realistic without seeing it yourself? I promise you I've seen Lebron play in real life before.
Old 09-06-2007, 12:04 PM   #28
LJJ
Extra Cheese

LJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:

Does anybody want to post the overall review scores for 2k7 and Live07 from the major review sites? I seem to remember every single site reviewing 2k7 a few points higher.

NBA live 07 - Avg Ratio: 62% Based On 35 Media Outlets

IGN 6 out of 10
Gamespot 6.5 out of 10

NBA 2k7 - Avg Ratio: 85% Based On 49 Media Outlets

IGN 8.3 out of 10
Gamespot 8.2 out of 10

(Both xbox 360)
LJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 12:07 PM   #29
adamcz
Bucks fan

Operation Sports gave 2k a 10/10, and I think it's the only time they've done that (or at least it's very very rare). Can't remember what they gave Live.
Old 09-06-2007, 12:18 PM   #30
bd#1pguard
High School Varsity 12th Man

bd#1pguard is considered somewhat coolbd#1pguard is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoopslife
The graphics look better in 2k8, but I have to say the dribbling, driving and shooting animations all look better on Live. No vote yet for me..

dude the best thing to do is get a friend to buy one of them and u buy the other and then trade, save money and the embarrassment of buying the worse gaming franchise
bd#1pguard is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: