Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 09-07-2007, 10:24 AM   #31
Shep
Decent college freshman

Shep is considered somewhat coolShep is considered somewhat coolShep is considered somewhat cool
Default Re: What's it take to be a top ten ALL time Player?

Quote:
First of all the word is yeah not yeh
yeah is stupid spelling. yeh is more correct spelling in terms of the actual sounding of the word. first of all there should be a comma between the words "yeah" and "not"
Quote:
second of all I was being sarcastic and mocking you
another mistake. don't mock me, you'll just end up looking stupid, which is something that you've been doing quite alot of around here
Quote:
because there have only been a few players better than Bird in NBA history.
9 infact
Shep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 10:26 AM   #32
Shep
Decent college freshman

Shep is considered somewhat coolShep is considered somewhat coolShep is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
there aren't 10 players better than bird, shep. stop trolling
when did i say there were 10 players better than larry bird?
Old 09-07-2007, 10:28 AM   #33
VCMVP1551
NBA sixth man of the year

VCMVP1551 is popular on this boardVCMVP1551 is popular on this boardVCMVP1551 is popular on this boardVCMVP1551 is popular on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shep
yeah is stupid spelling. yeh is more correct spelling in terms of the actual sounding of the word. first of all there should be a comma between the words "yeah" and "not"

another mistake. don't mock me, you'll just end up looking stupid, which is something that you've been doing quite alot of around here

9 infact

LOL!!!! You say yeah is stupid spelling? wtf is wrong with you? Almost everyone mocks you shep and almost everyone is smarter than you.
VCMVP1551 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 10:29 AM   #34
VCMVP1551

VCMVP1551 is popular on this boardVCMVP1551 is popular on this boardVCMVP1551 is popular on this boardVCMVP1551 is popular on this board

Quote:
when did i say there were 10 players better than larry bird?

You said to be top 10 you have to be better than Larry Bird and please name 9 players better then.
Old 09-07-2007, 10:34 AM   #35
Shep
Decent college freshman

Quote:
LOL!!!! You say yeah is stupid spelling?
read it again child. i said in terms of sounding out the word its a stupid spelling
Quote:
wtf is wrong with you?
:
Quote:
Almost everyone mocks you shep
almost everyone mocks me? thats the first i've heard on the subject.
Quote:
and almost everyone is smarter than you
yeh, except for the fact that 100% of the people here aren't smarter than me when talking nba
Quote:
You said to be top 10 you have to be better than Larry Bird and please name 9 players better then
top 9 all time:
1. jordan
2. wilt
3. kareem
4. russell
5. oscar
6. robinson
7. olajuwon
8. duncan
9. o'neal
Old 09-07-2007, 10:35 AM   #36
Moderation

Great stats, good but not great team mates, wins, 3 or so championships.
Old 09-07-2007, 10:36 AM   #37
lurch67
Caution: Adult Content

lurch67 has decent reputation

To make top 10, I think one thing that should be considered is impact on the game. Did other teams take notice of a player and change their style of play against that players team? Did a player exhibit a skill set different than the NBA has seen up to that point? Or did he mesh with a team and flurish within the system well enough to be the recognized leader and lead them to glory? Its things like these that need to be considered along with stats, accomplishments and, as much as I hate to say it, popularity when determining top ten credentials.
lurch67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 10:44 AM   #38
VCMVP1551

Quote:
read it again child. i said in terms of sounding out the word its a stupid spelling

:

almost everyone mocks me? thats the first i've heard on the subject.

yeh, except for the fact that 100% of the people here aren't smarter than me when talking nba

top 9 all time:
1. jordan
2. wilt
No Wilt was not better. Bird stepped up more in the playoffs, he won more rings and was a better all around player.
3. kareem
4. russell
5. oscar
lol are you kidding me? Not only was Bird better at everything but he also won 3 rings as a first option..Oscar won 1 as a second option.
6. robinson
David Robinson? Come on wtf. Robinson was great but shouldn't even be mentioned in the same breath as Bird
7. olajuwon
8. duncan
Closer than Robinson but still not even close and this shows you are a Spurs homer
9. o'neal

The players I didn't comment on are debatable but the only ones I'd consider putting ahead of Bird are Jordan, Magic, Kareem and Shaq. lol @ you not having Magic on a top 10 list. I also find it funny you have Robinson ahead of Hakeem and Robinson and Duncan ahead of Shaq. You are a complete joke.
Old 09-07-2007, 11:07 AM   #39
dejordan
Mars Blackmon Lives!

dejordan has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
top 9 all time:
1. jordan
2. wilt
3. kareem
4. russell
5. oscar
6. robinson
7. olajuwon
8. duncan
9. o'neal
all bs aside, i have a question here. what criteria are you using that puts robinson ahead of hakeem, duncan, shaq, bird, and magic, but behind oscar, russell, kareem, wilt, and jordan? seems like the only thing oscar has on drob is stats, but robinson's numbers are better than russell's. russell won more, but then so did shaq and duncan and magic and bird. if its impact on both sides of the ball that wows you then robinson, hakeem, and duncan should be even higher. if it's some vague combination of stats and winning (which is fine, my list kinda falls out that way i guess), then why doesn't magic (killer stats, mvps, and 5 rings) even sneek on? i'm just trying to figure out the criteria that leads to this list.
dejordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 12:15 PM   #40
poeticism707
Local High School Star

poeticism707 has no real reputation yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BULLS
Kobe is leagues ahead of Oscar. Oscar has won nothing of importance. He won one pathetic title as the obvious second fiddle to Kareem. He missed the playoffs a ****load of times as the #1 option. His stats are nowhere near as impressive as Kobe's. Kobe destroys Oscar so badly it isn't even funny. He won 3 titles as the best guard in the league. He's won back to back scoring titles. He's put up the 2 greatest individual performances in regular season history. Kobe is a top 6-8 player of all-time. Oscar is around top 30.

ALL 3 OF KOBE'S TITLES WERE "PATHETIC TITLES AS THE OBVIOUS SECOND FIDDLE." LEAVE IT UP TO A FOOL TO OPEN HIS DAMN FOOL MOUTH, AND CONTRADICT HIS OWN FOOL'S RATIONALE.:
poeticism707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 03:20 PM   #41
gts
Sons of Antartica

gts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurch67
To make top 10, I think one thing that should be considered is impact on the game. Did other teams take notice of a player and change their style of play against that players team? Did a player exhibit a skill set different than the NBA has seen up to that point? Or did he mesh with a team and flurish within the system well enough to be the recognized leader and lead them to glory? Its things like these that need to be considered along with stats, accomplishments and, as much as I hate to say it, popularity when determining top ten credentials.
good post and that reflects why players like mikan should be thought about when determining the top ten, mikan as an example was/is the model for the modern NBA center...

Last edited by gts : 09-07-2007 at 03:23 PM.
gts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 05:55 PM   #42
Thorpesaurous
NBA rookie of the year

Thorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Just for starters, look at this short list.

Russell, Chamberlain, Kareem, Magic, Bird, and Jordan,
along with Tim Duncan.

Of that group, only Duncan has fewer than three MVPs, only Chamberlain has fewer than three titles. I throw in Moses Malone, as the only other player in league history with three MVPs.

Those are the only players in history that have multiple MVPs, and multiple titles. (Mikan played pre-MVP by the way).

And that seems like a good place to start. Those first six are the mount rushmore of the sport. They all almost conveniently define a different aspect of greatness. If Duncan and Moses aren't top 10, they're certainly in the next five (personally I think they along with Shaq and Hakeem are almost too close to even bother trying to seperate). I mean ... dominate the league your in (in the form of multiple MVPs), and lead your team to victory, what else is there to do?
Thorpesaurous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 06:39 PM   #43
gts
Sons of Antartica

gts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
(Mikan played pre-MVP by the way).
I wonder if that hurts him BTW, if he had a string of MVP awards next to his name would people stop and take a second look?

Edit: I looked at Mikans entry at Basketball Reference, he does have one MVP award in 53..
Played 7 years (that hurts him in any top 10 discussion)
other awards or top ten accolades
4 time All Star
5 rings
6 time all NBA
3 time scoring leader
1 time rebounding leader
a career PER of 26.8 (he'd be 3rd all time if his career was longer, and he kept it up)

Last edited by gts : 09-07-2007 at 06:57 PM.
gts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 06:59 PM   #44
disco
Great young streetballer

disco has no real reputation yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gts
I wonder if that hurts him BTW, if he had a string of MVP awards next to his name would people stop and take a second look?

He was all-league 1st teamer 7 times, he lead the league in scoring 3 times and was 2nd 2 times, won 6 titles). And he played just 9 seasons (1 after a year's break). I think we can say he accomplished just about everything he could. He dominated the game and won the title in 6 out of 9 years he played. What more could he have done???
disco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 07:00 PM   #45
disco
Great young streetballer

disco has no real reputation yet.

I got a bit different stats. I checked from here: http://www.nba.com/history/players/mikan_stats.html

I guess nba.com includes pre-nba leagues as well and hence the difference. Not sure.
disco is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: