Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 09-07-2007, 06:51 PM   #31
Kblaze8855
Titles are overrated

Kblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: When you really write it out and look it over...are modern players more athletic?

Hakeem and Drob had that same ability. But because they could make their own shots from 15 feet and in better than Shaq they often didnt need to just get in position and catch it for a dunk. Just jump and shoot. Drob and Hakeem had some of the most athletic and fast plays anyone will ever see out of a bigman.

Quote:
Case in point gettyimages.com # 1393332

That took way mroe trouble to get than it should have.

My favorite ewing dunk is one out of like 88 or 89 when they still wore those short shorts. He came in with one hand off two feet with the back foot a bit inside the FT line.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPXK5MfuQb8

Its in there somewhere.

Last edited by Kblaze8855 : 09-07-2007 at 06:54 PM.
Kblaze8855 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 07:08 PM   #32
eliteballer
NBA rookie of the year

eliteballer has a terrific reputationeliteballer has a terrific reputationeliteballer has a terrific reputationeliteballer has a terrific reputationeliteballer has a terrific reputation
Default Re: When you really write it out and look it over...are modern players more athletic?

Where do we classify guys like Hill, Penny, McDyess? Grandmama? Sprewell?McDyess...dude was a monster. Maybe more athletic than Kemp. Dude has some of the sickest posters ever.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQC5g7yezgs

2:10.

I mean even Shaq entered the league in 92. Byron Scott played with Kobe and Kareem. Too close together. I kind of group the modern era as 80's-on. Post inclusion of the 3 point line sounds right.
eliteballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 07:15 PM   #33
Kblaze8855
Titles are overrated

Kblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I think most people our age and up think that way. I dont really seperate the eras athletic ability wise.
Kblaze8855 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 07:26 PM   #34
MaxFly
Stylin' on you

MaxFly is popular on this boardMaxFly is popular on this boardMaxFly is popular on this boardMaxFly is popular on this boardMaxFly is popular on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliteballer
Where do we classify guys like Hill, Penny, McDyess? Grandmama? Sprewell?McDyess...dude was a monster. Maybe more athletic than Kemp. Dude has some of the sickest posters ever.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQC5g7yezgs

2:10.

I mean even Shaq entered the league in 92. Byron Scott played with Kobe and Kareem. Too close together. I kind of group the modern era as 80's-on. Post inclusion of the 3 point line sounds right.

I agree... I count the 80s on as the modern era...
MaxFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 09:19 PM   #35
Loki
Banned

Loki is considered somewhat coolLoki is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Out Of Shape
KJ was very athletic and maybe a slight step quicker than Baron, but I have heard that Baron was doing 48"-50" verts right out of college. VC could not only jump higher than Jordan, the way he contorted his body on the way to the rim was absolutely freakish. I also don't see how a young Hakeem or Drob were faster than a young Shaq, The man could run the floor like a gazelle his first few years in the league, his movements were much more fluid than Hakeems and Drobs, and his footspeed was every bit as fast, if not faster.

KJ had more than a "slight step" on Baron Davis. And Jordan was more athletic overall than Carter (quicker, faster end to end, better body control, better one-footed leaper etc.). And DRob was faster up the court than Shaq pre-'95.

Wow, where'd you find this picture? That's an under the basket shot of the well-known play where Jordan jumps and swats Ewing's dunk attempt at the last second, seen at the 16 second mark here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0bFDwd68-DA

Never seen that picture before. You can see that Jordan is about to take off for the block. Makes you realize how much media the NBA has of games that they never release in any form. Sad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DatzNasty
Plenty, they aren't nearly as good of basketball players but just from an athleticism perspective, absolutely

There are only a handful of players in NBA history at 7' or better who are comparable to prime DRob. Not "plenty." For what it's worth, DRob was a lot more explosive than KG is off a first step or change of pace. His acceleration was greater.
Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 11:27 PM   #36
abuC
Cuba

abuC is a pretty well-respected posterabuC is a pretty well-respected posterabuC is a pretty well-respected poster

LeBron is actually 260lbs now, he's a physical anomaly, sort of like how Shaq was.
abuC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 11:28 PM   #37
abuC
Cuba

abuC is a pretty well-respected posterabuC is a pretty well-respected posterabuC is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki

There are only a handful of players in NBA history at 7' or better who are comparable to prime DRob. Not "plenty." For what it's worth, DRob was a lot more explosive than KG is off a first step or change of pace. His acceleration was greater.

KG is quicker than Robinson ever was, especially laterally.
Old 09-07-2007, 11:49 PM   #38
StroShow4
Certified ISHiot.

StroShow4 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableStroShow4 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableStroShow4 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableStroShow4 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableStroShow4 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableStroShow4 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableStroShow4 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableStroShow4 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableStroShow4 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableStroShow4 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableStroShow4 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kblaze8855
What is chris Anderson up to? I know he was banned from the league but wasnt it only for a year or two? Cant he come back now?

i think he got a lifetime ban but he is allowed to try to make a comeback through some legal process sometime during the 07-08 season.. i could be wrong but thats what i recall reading.
StroShow4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 11:57 PM   #39
WoGiTaLiA1
Local High School Star

WoGiTaLiA1 has decent reputationWoGiTaLiA1 has decent reputation

Quote:

I'm not sure about that. I can remember plays where Robinson would stay in front of PGs like KJ and Stockton on rotations. Guy was an absolute freak.

I think the average player is probably more athletic now than at the start of the 80's, not by much and not by enough to affect the game negatively. A lot of people like to say the league is more athletic and thats why there is an inferior product on offer, thats just rubbish.

As for prior to the 80s you still had the freaks. From what I've seen both Wilt and Russell were as athletic as any big man to play the game, from what I've read Wilt may be the biggest freak to play period, if even half the stuff about athletic feats is true he is the most athletic guy to play.
WoGiTaLiA1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 11:57 PM   #40
abuC
Cuba

Where would Shannon Brown rank as athletes go in the NBA right now?
Old 09-08-2007, 12:01 AM   #41
abuC
Cuba

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoGiTaLiA1
I'm not sure about that. I can remember plays where Robinson would stay in front of PGs like KJ and Stockton on rotations. Guy was an absolute freak.

KG has also been caught on picks and defended PGs, but he has defended Tmac before, not just pick and roll, or caught on switches either but for long durations. I dont think DRob could do that at any point in his career, and really lateral quickness has a lot to do with weight.
Old 09-08-2007, 12:22 AM   #42
Loki
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by abuC

Laterally yes, in terms of explosiveness no. KG doesn't have an elite first step and never has. Robinson was explosive off the first step on face-ups.
Old 09-08-2007, 01:10 AM   #43
KobeLookLike2Pac
Kids at the park dunk on me

KobeLookLike2Pac has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki
. And Jordan was more athletic overall than Carter (quicker, faster end to end, better body control, better one-footed leaper etc.).

Both Carter and Jordan had serious hang time but what Carter could do when he was in the air was nothing short of amazing. I have to disagree with that part of your post completely at least when they were airborne.
KobeLookLike2Pac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 01:16 AM   #44
RedBlackAttack
The Paterfamilias

RedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I just have a hard time accepting that Kemp was the kind of athlete that LeBron is. IMO the only guy in the history of the NBA that can stack up athletically to Bron is Wilt... seriously...

6'8" 260, can jump out of the gym, is lightening quick (blows by the best defensive GUARDS in the NBA as if they are standing still), has great handles for his size, crazy court vision...

Kemp was a beast in his prime... no doubt. But, he wasn't so much stronger than LeBron (if at all) that it accounts for the huge speed advantage that LeBron has. Also, Kemp was always a few cupcakes away from being overweight... even in his prime.

LeBron is on that Bo Jackson/Dave Winfield level of athlete.
RedBlackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 01:24 AM   #45
Loki
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by KobeLookLike2Pac
Both Carter and Jordan had serious hang time but what Carter could do when he was in the air was nothing short of amazing. I have to disagree with that part of your post completely at least when they were airborne.

I disagree. Jordan had better body control than Carter by a fair bit. I'm sure we can both point to specific sick plays in the air, but I'd look at the percentage of hangtime shots completed, especially after absorbing contact in the air. That goes to Jordan pretty easily from what I've seen.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: