Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 09-12-2007, 02:13 AM   #1
geeWiz15
Quality Posts™

geeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation here
Default making highschoolers wake up at 6am is the stupidest idea ever conceived.

disagree with me, I dare you.

here I am in college and knowledge sticks to me like glue. what's the difference between me in college and me in HS classes I cared about? sleep. that's it. in college I can stay up till 3 am, which I usually don't, and still get 7 hours of sleep, easy. in senior year I probably got an average of 5. sometimes I went a workweek without getting more than 4 hours of sleep any night.

in HS I got no sleep. I would be in class barely conscious, slurring words all over the place, unable to concentrate on anything, and forGET memory, I barely remembered my teachers names much less anything they tried to teach me. it was BAD. granted, my sleep habits were worse than usual, but pretty much everyone wasn't getting as much sleep as they should, and in this culture, it's impossible to go to bed before 11. let's be honest. nobody does. our culture operates its evenings on TV schedule, and good TV ends at 10 at the earliest. in order to get a proper amount of sleep you must be unconscious at 10 at the latest if you're waking up at 6. ain't gonna happen. I can count on one hand the number of people I knew in my graduating class who got as much sleep as they should at night. (there were some, which is almost surprising that any teenager can go to bed at 10 on school nights).

people our age need sleep more than anyone else and at our age we are less predisposed to being "morning people." so as a result? everyone loads up on coffee from age 15-on, making Starbucks the biggest company in the goddam country (I'm convinced Starbucks is the reason HS start times haven't been changed already). newsflash, coffee is bad for you. caffeine is bad for you. yet we're forced into it; it's either coffee or Cs.

and what's with making HS so damn long, anyway? in college you get 3 hours of a class per week. in high school you got 4-5. what's the big idea here? the **** they're teaching us ain't THAT hard. most of class time is wasted anyway. just an excuse to keep us in the building for 7 hours. make school 5 hours. starts at 9:30, ends at 3. so easy.
geeWiz15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 02:17 AM   #2
Randy
NBA sixth man of the year

Randy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRandy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRandy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRandy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRandy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRandy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRandy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRandy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRandy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: making highschoolers wake up at 6am is the stupidest idea ever conceived.

Ok. I disagree.

Getting 4-5 hours a night is your own fault.

High school kids go from 7-3 because after four years they'll be in college and be free to whine and bitch all they want about having to get up early in HS. I get up at 6:30 to go to school still and I don't drink Starbucks, what could possibly be wrong with me?
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 02:23 AM   #3
SuperboyXX0018
Banned

SuperboyXX0018 has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: making highschoolers wake up at 6am is the stupidest idea ever conceived.

I remember getting up at 6:00 am, the only positive for me was it was still dark outside.
SuperboyXX0018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 02:23 AM   #4
B-Low
The Love B-Low

B-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

lol Geewiz is to high school/college comparisons what DL Hugley is to black folks/white folks comparisons. That's all i could think while i was reading that

"now see, college kids drive like this...but high school kids? they drive like this"
B-Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 02:26 AM   #5
ElPigto
*****istrator

ElPigto is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterElPigto is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterElPigto is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterElPigto is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterElPigto is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterElPigto is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterElPigto is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterElPigto is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterElPigto is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy
Ok. I disagree.

Getting 4-5 hours a night is your own fault.

High school kids go from 7-3 because after four years they'll be in college and be free to whine and bitch all they want about having to get up early in HS. I get up at 6:30 to go to school still and I don't drink Starbucks, what could possibly be wrong with me?

I never drank Starbucks myself; basically I've only had like 3 cups of coffee in my whole life, and honestly that's too much.

So Gee, it is your fault. Sorry.

Lucky liberal arts people in college, yall register for 15 hours and you will be in class for 15 hours or less. You are in an engineering, and 15 hours is easily 20 hours+ in class. Ugh. Still not that bad.

I love college. My days start at 11 in the morning, the disadvantage though is that Mondays-Wednesdays my classes stretch till 8pm. Oh well.
ElPigto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 02:30 AM   #6
Randy
NBA sixth man of the year

Randy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRandy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRandy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRandy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRandy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRandy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRandy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRandy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRandy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

9am-5:30pm Tuesday/Thursday
9am-1pm Monday/Wednesday

Long ass days, but at least I have Fridays off.

Sometimes I drink black coffee or with a little bit of sugar if I'm extra tired that morning. I like coffee but I never go to Starbucks.
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 02:33 AM   #7
lovethetriangle
LAKER FAN FOR LIFE

lovethetriangle has an incredible reputation herelovethetriangle has an incredible reputation herelovethetriangle has an incredible reputation herelovethetriangle has an incredible reputation herelovethetriangle has an incredible reputation herelovethetriangle has an incredible reputation here

I would've agreed with you 2000% if I was still in school. Completely right.

However, once you hit the labour force and realize what REAL exhaustion feels like and start attempting to figure out every routine/system possible to stay energized, you'll begin to remember why you had that spring in your step in high school.

You think College is hard? Well I thought that too. College may have a sh*tload of work but none of it can take away the fun you have at the same time. You realize later on that 5 hours of sleep and daily drinking really doesn't hurt in college because your mind is consumed 24/7. Either by school work or hanging with friends ALL THE TIME (something everyone must appreciate while they have it). It's not easy getting your guys together at will after college.

Work is draining. Simple as that. Not that I'm complaining, I'm making a sh*tload of cash and it's just a matter of finding the right routine.

For the last 6 months, I've been up every day by 6 A.M. and I've never felt better or been happier. And I simply HATED it in high school.
lovethetriangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 02:41 AM   #8
geeWiz15
Quality Posts™

geeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation here

Quote:
However, once you hit the labour force and realize what REAL exhaustion feels like and start attempting to figure out every routine/system possible to stay energized, you'll begin to remember why you had that spring in your step in high school.
so you're saying that because things will suck for most people when they get older, why not make it suck for everybody during the best years of our lives? is it the men in power saying, "well I'm always tired, so those little ****s should be tired to. to hell with the heart problems it causes, the decreased memory and abstract thinking abilities, we'll poor millions into standardized testing but we won't let these kids sleep in."

if the purpose of school is to learn, which I think, in the official rulebooks, it is, then we should be sleeping more. because if you sleep more, you learn better. that's all there is to it. I can't see the argument. "once you hit the work force." once we hit the work force, work will start at 9am, we'll be more likely to be morning people naturally, our bodies won't need as much sleep to properly develop, I could go on..
geeWiz15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 03:26 AM   #9
lovethetriangle
LAKER FAN FOR LIFE

lovethetriangle has an incredible reputation herelovethetriangle has an incredible reputation herelovethetriangle has an incredible reputation herelovethetriangle has an incredible reputation herelovethetriangle has an incredible reputation herelovethetriangle has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeWiz15
so you're saying that because things will suck for most people when they get older, why not make it suck for everybody during the best years of our lives? is it the men in power saying, "well I'm always tired, so those little ****s should be tired to. to hell with the heart problems it causes, the decreased memory and abstract thinking abilities, we'll poor millions into standardized testing but we won't let these kids sleep in."

if the purpose of school is to learn, which I think, in the official rulebooks, it is, then we should be sleeping more. because if you sleep more, you learn better. that's all there is to it. I can't see the argument. "once you hit the work force." once we hit the work force, work will start at 9am, we'll be more likely to be morning people naturally, our bodies won't need as much sleep to properly develop, I could go on..

No you fool!!! Work forces you to improve the quality of your life.

How does one do this? By disciplining oneself to sleep early. Sleeping at 11 and waking up at 6 is FAR, and I mean FAR more healthy than sleeping at 3 and waking up at 10.

Early to bed, early to rise, makes you healthy wealthy and wise.

This SH*T Is actually true.

EDIT: Aren't you the dude that jogs at midnight?
lovethetriangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 04:20 AM   #10
reppy
Apparently likes anime

reppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation here

[sarcasm]What? geeWiz is in college? Never would have known ..[/sarcasm]
reppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 05:21 AM   #11
JtotheIzzo
OOOHWEE Cleveland!!!

JtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

doesn't high school start at nine?

who wakes up at 6am unless they got a paper route?

what you ought to do is slap around your slack ass parents for not making sure you went to bed on time.

Absentee parenting is the downfall of western civilization. No curfew/bedtime control, feeding their kids garbage at meal time making them fat, and taking their kids garbage in an argument churning out spoiled little know it alls.
JtotheIzzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 10:03 AM   #12
bigboi_baller
NBA rookie of the year

bigboi_baller is popular on this boardbigboi_baller is popular on this boardbigboi_baller is popular on this boardbigboi_baller is popular on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by JtotheIzzo
doesn't high school start at nine?

who wakes up at 6am unless they got a paper route?

what you ought to do is slap around your slack ass parents for not making sure you went to bed on time.

Absentee parenting is the downfall of western civilization. No curfew/bedtime control, feeding their kids garbage at meal time making them fat, and taking their kids garbage in an argument churning out spoiled little know it alls.

Mine starts at 8:15, I have to leave the house by 7:15 to get their on time.

Wake up around 6 after going to bed at 11ish.

I usually don't retain anything until classes affter 10pm.
bigboi_baller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 10:07 AM   #13
VCDrivesAPorscheToWork
Very good NBA starter

VCDrivesAPorscheToWork is considered somewhat coolVCDrivesAPorscheToWork is considered somewhat coolVCDrivesAPorscheToWork is considered somewhat cool

yawn... Geewiz with another "i'm in college, so to show how awesome I am, I'm gonna let everyone know about it" rant.

the rationale for high school the long schedules, the closed campuses, the sh itty hours, is literally to keep kids off the street at night.

the crappy hours may seem counterintuitive but it's designed so if you want sleep, you'll sleep at 10pm after you finished your HW so you won't be out on the streets doing this and that.

good students prioritize their time.

lazy students bi tch and moan about waking up too early.
VCDrivesAPorscheToWork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 10:13 AM   #14
mlh1981
Reds/Bengals/Cavs

mlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

the subject should be, making ELEMENTARY SCHOOL STUDENT and MIDDLE SCHOOL STUDENTS wake up at 6 a.m. is the stupidest idea ever. They need more sleep than high schoolers. Of course, they benefit from having parents who pretty much make them turn out their lights and go to sleep, so they are usually out at 10 due to no choice of their own.
mlh1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 10:54 AM   #15
saKf
Roy = my new fave.

saKf is a pretty well-respected postersaKf is a pretty well-respected postersaKf is a pretty well-respected postersaKf is a pretty well-respected poster

People around high school age actually need more sleep than adults in order to stay healthy and properly develop.
saKf is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: