Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Phoenix Suns Forum

Phoenix Suns Forum Phoenix Suns forum - Phoenix Suns message board

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-18-2006, 02:40 AM   #16
G-train
3-time NBA All-Star
 
G-train's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 10,642
G-train has an incredible reputation hereG-train has an incredible reputation hereG-train has an incredible reputation hereG-train has an incredible reputation hereG-train has an incredible reputation hereG-train has an incredible reputation hereG-train has an incredible reputation here
Default

how the hell does Yao only get 1.65 per game?
G-train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 02:44 AM   #17
ShannonElements
turns illusions for $
 
ShannonElements's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Portugal, South America
Posts: 12,339
ShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default

I agree that Nash has gotten a lot beter defensively. He still doesn't seem to have a whole lot of presence of mind on that end of the floor though...
ShannonElements is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 02:46 AM   #18
ShannonElements
turns illusions for $
 
ShannonElements's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Portugal, South America
Posts: 12,339
ShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShannonElements is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-train
how the hell does Yao only get 1.65 per game?

Because there's more to gettting a block than just height.
ShannonElements is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 02:46 AM   #19
G-train
3-time NBA All-Star
 
G-train's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 10,642
G-train has an incredible reputation hereG-train has an incredible reputation hereG-train has an incredible reputation hereG-train has an incredible reputation hereG-train has an incredible reputation hereG-train has an incredible reputation hereG-train has an incredible reputation here
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspector Rick
Antawn Jamison should record 12 blocked shots on the year by ACCIDENT just for being atheletic and 6'10. Disgraceful.

he is only 6'7 or 8, but listed 6'9.... he also cant jump anymore
G-train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 02:49 AM   #20
G-train
3-time NBA All-Star
 
G-train's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 10,642
G-train has an incredible reputation hereG-train has an incredible reputation hereG-train has an incredible reputation hereG-train has an incredible reputation hereG-train has an incredible reputation hereG-train has an incredible reputation hereG-train has an incredible reputation here
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShannonElements
Because there's more to gettting a block than just height.

exactly! he is a crap defender, and needs to play harder. He deserves to be on the list
G-train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 02:50 AM   #21
Inspector Rick
Great young streetballer
 
Inspector Rick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 537
Inspector Rick has an OK reputation so far
Default

Meh, I like to embellish for effect.
Inspector Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 03:01 AM   #22
Zombles
Local High School Star
 
Zombles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,284
Zombles has decent reputation
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-train
exactly! he is a crap defender, and needs to play harder. He deserves to be on the list

Blocks and steals are not the be all, end all indicators for overall defensive skill.

Yao anchors one of the best defenses in the leauge and is a great on rotations and help defense; a big reason he gets in foul trouble so often. He is a much better defender then say, Samuel Dalembert, who blocks many more shots.
Zombles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 03:04 AM   #23
StabMasterArson
I airball my layups
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 83
StabMasterArson has decent reputationStabMasterArson has decent reputation
Default

I know one of those blocks by Nash was on Corey Maggette.
StabMasterArson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 03:11 AM   #24
G-train
3-time NBA All-Star
 
G-train's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 10,642
G-train has an incredible reputation hereG-train has an incredible reputation hereG-train has an incredible reputation hereG-train has an incredible reputation hereG-train has an incredible reputation hereG-train has an incredible reputation hereG-train has an incredible reputation here
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombles
Blocks and steals are not the be all, end all indicators for overall defensive skill.

Yao anchors one of the best defenses in the leauge and is a great on rotations and help defense; a big reason he gets in foul trouble so often. He is a much better defender then say, Samuel Dalembert, who blocks many more shots.

Really? What was Houstons defensive stats terms of points against and FG% against?

If Yao was was so great at rotations and help, why is he always in foul trouble?

If he got to the right position when offering help, as a 'great' help defender would, and stood with his hands in the air he would not get into foul trouble.
G-train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 03:31 AM   #25
Zombles
Local High School Star
 
Zombles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,284
Zombles has decent reputation
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-train
Really? What was Houstons defensive stats terms of points against and FG% against?

If Yao was was so great at rotations and help, why is he always in foul trouble?

If he got to the right position when offering help, as a 'great' help defender would, and stood with his hands in the air he would not get into foul trouble.

You could look it up yourself you lazy git, but being the kind hearted soul I am,

Opponent's field goal %: 43% (2nd best)
Opponent's scoring average: 91.6 (4th best)

And as I said, one of the big reasons he is often in foul trouble (not always, averaged 34 minutes a game and 3.4 fouls) is that he rotates almost every time. He will not often give up dunks to the opposing team, even if he is not in proper position to contest the shot, which is one reason he gets dunked on a lot; same situation as we saw with Zo.

Given the state of the leauge and how a scorer can just throw their body into a stationary defender to draw a foul, as long as it is not a blatant charge, this often works against him. Stern loves watching them preening, perimeter, pretty-boys score at the line.

I'd love to hear your argument where you prove Samuel Dalembert is a better defender because he blocks more shots, or an argument proving blocks & steals are the most important factors in defense. Make sure to include Dennis Rodman, Bruce Bowen, and Ron Artest in the hypothesis.
Zombles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 04:10 AM   #26
Juvenile
High School Varsity 12th Man
 
Juvenile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Germany
Posts: 478
Juvenile has no real reputation yet.
Default

A good defender is rarely ever in foul trouble. Being in foul trouble often actually is a sign of bad help defense and rotation, because it means that you're always late on your assignments. And if you're not in position to block a shot, you shouldn't try too, it only generates and-1 opportunities.

That's faulty logic on your part, Zombles
Juvenile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 04:11 AM   #27
junwin
I hit open 5-footers
 
junwin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: australia
Posts: 170
junwin has decent reputation
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki
Wow, that's a pretty embarrassing stat for Jamison.

i was shocked wen i saw that too
junwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 04:25 AM   #28
Andy Christ
I airball my layups
 
Andy Christ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: san fran
Posts: 23
Andy Christ has an OK reputation so far
Default easily...

thats because steve nash is the ****. hands down.
Andy Christ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 04:37 AM   #29
Spike Spiegel
Local High School Star
 
Spike Spiegel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 751
Spike Spiegel has decent reputationSpike Spiegel has decent reputation
Default

Howard and Martin? Terrible.
Spike Spiegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 05:09 AM   #30
BradMiller52
Kings fan
 
BradMiller52's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: I wanna get paid like Mikki
Posts: 2,724
BradMiller52 has an OK reputation so far
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike Spiegel
Howard and Martin? Terrible.



How is it terrible Kevin Martin doesn't block many shots?
BradMiller52 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:06 PM.




NBA Basketball Forum Key Links:
InsideHoops Home
NBA Rumors
Basketball Blog
NBA Daily Recaps
NBA Videos
Fantasy Basketball
NBA Mock Draft
NBA Free Agents
All-Star Weekend
---
High School Basketball
Streetball
---
InsideHoops Twitter
Search Our Site













Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy