Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Phoenix Suns Forum

Phoenix Suns Forum Phoenix Suns forum - Phoenix Suns message board

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-18-2006, 06:15 AM   #31
Zombles
Local High School Star
 
Zombles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,284
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juvenile
A good defender is rarely ever in foul trouble. Being in foul trouble often actually is a sign of bad help defense and rotation, because it means that you're always late on your assignments. And if you're not in position to block a shot, you shouldn't try too, it only generates and-1 opportunities.

That's faulty logic on your part, Zombles

Like I said, Yao plays 34 minutes a game (with 3.4 fouls), and even then he waned in the 4th quarter, his stamina wouldn't let him play much more. He isn't really a fouling machine, though he does sometimes have problems with it.

Foul trouble for big men is usually a sign of slow/late help defense, but it is also a sign that the big man is not giving up on the play, that he is putting 100% into preventing easy baskets. That is the most important defensive attribute, a willingness to exert energy on the defensive end on every possession. Yao Ming does that.

And if anyone arguing with me actually ****ing watched the Rockets play last year, they would know Houston's entire defensive gameplan was not to foul ball-handlers/slashers but instead to funnel them into the bigmen, AKA Yao Ming. This is the main reason Houston's 3-point defense was so bad, the penetrator would be stopped by Yao, and the collapsing defense but then kick it for an open corner 3. It is also the main reason Houston's field goal % defense was so good, there were not many easy baskets in the lane with Yao Ming patrolling.

I can't believe I'm even having a debate over whether or not Yao Ming is a good-to-great defender. He took cats like Rafer Alston, Juwon Howard, Luther Head, and made them into one of the best defensive clubs in the leauge. And what help did he get? A crippled T-mac, a decrepit Mutumbo, a mentally retarded Swift, and Keith Bogans.

Faulty logic my ass, look at how the team did on the defensive end without Yao, and look at what they did with him, and then try and tell me he is a bad defender.
Zombles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 06:23 AM   #32
ShannonElements
turns illusions for $
 
ShannonElements's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Portugal, South America
Posts: 15,299
Default

I think Martin's stats are the most shocking. He just SEEMS like he should be a good shot blocker...
ShannonElements is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 07:55 AM   #33
AttackTheRim
Can barely lace up my sneakers
 
AttackTheRim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: CALi
Posts: 11
Default

Bibby d bron hard once I remeber that was nasty
AttackTheRim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 08:11 AM   #34
SpLiTViZiOnZ
Decent playground baller
 
SpLiTViZiOnZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 237
Default

What does him being "white" have anything to do with this? And how in the sam hell can you say that he is unathletic? He has excelled in multiple sports. He definitely is athletic.
SpLiTViZiOnZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 08:37 AM   #35
Juvenile
High School Varsity 12th Man
 
Juvenile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Germany
Posts: 477
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombles

Faulty logic my ass, look at how the team did on the defensive end without Yao, and look at what they did with him, and then try and tell me he is a bad defender.

I didn't say anything about Yao as a defender. But it's just dumb to say that more fouls are an indication for a better defender. Great defenders rarely have foul problems, good defenders don't need to foul. How many times is Ben Wallace in serious foul trouble? Artest? Bowen?

Just stop making excuses for Yao. More fouls don't equal a better defender
Juvenile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 09:26 AM   #36
brwnman
.
 
brwnman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 7,672
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradMiller52
Kevin Martin

Kevin Martin is so over-rated by the Sacramento broadcasters it's not even funny...

" I tell ya what, this kid is gonna be something special, he is so athletic and has such a great feel for the game, he has a Clyde Drexler like future "

god stfu...
brwnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 09:26 AM   #37
ClutchCityReturns
Decent college freshman
 
ClutchCityReturns's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Clutch City
Posts: 1,424
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpLiTViZiOnZ
What does him being "white" have anything to do with this? And how in the sam hell can you say that he is unathletic? He has excelled in multiple sports. He definitely is athletic.

Co-signed.
ClutchCityReturns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 09:27 AM   #38
adamcz
Bucks fan
 
adamcz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: MA
Posts: 3,727
Default

Ricky Davis is the funniest one to me. He's plenty tall, and is a dunk contest kind of guy. He could block shots if he wanted to, but doesn't care maybe?
adamcz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 09:28 AM   #39
ClutchCityReturns
Decent college freshman
 
ClutchCityReturns's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Clutch City
Posts: 1,424
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombles
Most of those are smalls who aren't expected to block shots, but Juwan Howard getting outblocked by Mike Bibby made me laugh at the screen.

What's even funnier is that 1 of Bibby's blocks was actually ON Juwan Howard early in a game last year at Arco. I remember it well because it was so sad.

ClutchCityReturns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 09:30 AM   #40
bagelred
Weird
 
bagelred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 29,329
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExpatSunsFan
Everybody knows that Steve Nash is a terrible defender. Not only is he short, white and unathletic, he also has a rep for being soft and uninterested on the defensive side.


Way to be racist.

Can you imagine if you commented about a black guy being inferior because he was black? Racism works both ways....
bagelred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 09:59 AM   #41
JtotheIzzo
Admlnlstrator
 
JtotheIzzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Wolviapolis
Posts: 14,195
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagelred
Way to be racist.

Can you imagine if you commented about a black guy being inferior because he was black? Racism works both ways....

No it doesn't

let me give you an example:

Think of a derrogatory word for white people and post it,

if a majority of white people post that they are offended by it I'll give you a positive rep and never say anything bad about John Stockton again.
JtotheIzzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 10:13 AM   #42
mhg88
Local High School Star
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,385
Default

best example i can think of for reverse racism is affirmative action
mhg88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 10:32 AM   #43
Real Men Wear Green
Your ad here
 
Real Men Wear Green's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Brighton, MA
Posts: 20,794
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamcz
Ricky Davis is the funniest one to me. He's plenty tall, and is a dunk contest kind of guy. He could block shots if he wanted to, but doesn't care maybe?
I remember his defense fell off as a Celtic last year when he started playing 40+ minutes and was given half the pg duties alongside being a 20+ ppg scorer. Don't know what happenned in Minny though.
Real Men Wear Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 11:02 AM   #44
Rasheed1
3-time NBA All-Star
 
Rasheed1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 10,543
Default

Quote:
best example i can think of for reverse racism is affirmative action

affirmative action would be reverse racism if their was an even playing field to begin with...but there is not.....

and women (caucasion & other) consist of alot of affirmative action cases..
Rasheed1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 11:02 AM   #45
bagelred
Weird
 
bagelred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 29,329
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JtotheIzzo
No it doesn't

let me give you an example:

Think of a derrogatory word for white people and post it,

if a majority of white people post that they are offended by it I'll give you a positive rep and never say anything bad about John Stockton again.

Racism is racism...doesn't matter which way it goes...if one group happens to get more offended than another group, well so be it...but its still racism
bagelred is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:06 PM.




NBA Basketball Forum Key Links:
InsideHoops Home
NBA Rumors
Basketball Blog
NBA Daily Recaps
NBA Videos
Fantasy Basketball
NBA Mock Draft
NBA Free Agents
All-Star Weekend
---
High School Basketball
Streetball
---
InsideHoops Twitter
Search Our Site













Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy