Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > New York Knicks Forum

New York Knicks Forum New York Knicks forum - NY Knicks message board

Old 07-18-2006, 09:49 AM   #1
jlawdrummer
Serious playground baller

Default Isiah Thomas

many GM's would've probably taken Eddy Curry #1 in this years draft had he gone to college and probably developed a little better. He is currently only 23 years old, and turns 24 in Mid-December. Tyrus Thomas is 19, but it's really unknown how good he will actually be in this league. Kids got loads of physical ability, but lets wait and see how he adjusts to the NBA. Curry is already one of the best offensive centers in this league, and Isiah actually has a decent track record as a coach, and drafter...(i won't comment for now on his overall GM abilities, but dude's a great drafter). While with Toronto he drafted T-Mac, Damon Stoudemire, and Marcus Camby. He took over as coach of the Pacers in July of 2000, and led the team to a 131-115 record while grooming the young stars of that team at the time, which were Jermaine O'Neal, Ron Artest, Brad Miller, Al Harrington, and Jamaal Tinsley at one point or another. When he took over the team, Jerm was 22 and his numbers jumped from 13 and 10 in the first year to 20 and 10. Artest was 22 and 23 during his year and a half under isiah, he didn't actually improve that much at that time, but stayed consistent. Brad Miller was 25 or so when he came over with Artest from the bulls and continued his improvement. Al Harrington was 20 when isiah took over, and although he started only about half his games in his time with the pacers under isiah, he went from a 7.5 pt, 4.9 rb a game guy to a 12.2 pt, 6.4 rb a game off the bench. And last, Jamaal Tinsley was drafted before isiahs 2nd year, and scored 9.4 and 7.8 pts his first two years with 8.1 and 7.5 assists. After Thomas left, tinsleys assists fell to 5.8, 6.4, 5.0, and 6.9 assists a game after him.

While Marbury is one of the most experienced Knicks, he is still only 29(early part of his prime years in the NBA), and while playing with phoenix, he scored 22 points with 8 assists a game, and close to 2 steals a game. (that was a more uptempo offense like the one that will be run this year.) Crawford is 26(still young, just entering his prime) and was a 17 pt, 5 assist, 3 rb a game guy in the two years before Brown(he was starting mostly those two years however, and we saw how well he played at the end of the year last year while playing more.) Also, at some point i think the knicks were almost undefeated when Crawford scored 20 or more...was it 8-0 or something? QRich is also only 26, and entering his prime, and with phoenix(uptempo style again), he scored 15 pts, with 6 boards and 2 assists a game. next up is Eddy Curry, who as i said is 23, which means he has 3-4 years to improve before he gets to his prime. the most minutes he's played a game has been just under 30, and he scored about 15 pts with 6.2 boards and over a block a game that year. He has the potential to be a great center. Increase his time to maybe 35 min/game and factor in even minimal improvement, and his numbers could easily be 20 and at least 8 with at least a block a game...i'll take that from the #2 pick in this years draft...(i think the trade was kinda dumb though with chicago, but if it works out, oh well.) Even Jalen Rose, who i realize is getting older(33) saw his numbers rise from 18.2pts, 4.8 rb, 4.0ast, and 1.05 steals to 20.5, 5.0, 6.0, and .9 steals.

He seems to have an overall good effect on players, particularly young players...(we have 5 first round picks from the last two drafts). not to mention Curry and Crawford and even QRich are still fairly young. Plus, our team was built to play an uptempo style, and I know Brown has a certain system he plays, but i think he's at least partially to blame for not seeing that and changing his ways at least a little to accomodate this team. Isiah built this team and he will have them play the way he invisioned. All we need is our big men, especially Curry and James, to come into camp well-conditioned and ready to run and really play hard, we will surprise people.
jlawdrummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 12:23 PM   #2
KnicksFan4Life
Banned

yes we will suprise people, and if we get a better record than the Twolves, Skywalker will never hear the end of it from me
KnicksFan4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 04:06 PM   #3
AndDru1
Can barely lace up my sneakers

Default Make the playoffs, easy.

Not going to suprise me. The Knicks have some of the best talent in the NBA, and finally have a coach that's willing to use it.
AndDru1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 04:09 PM   #4
brooklynchild155
High School Varsity 6th Man

what they need to do is cut down on the turnovers. and curry needs to play up to his ability. and also they have to have a set rotation. once they do that they'll be in the playoffs easy because they got to much good players not to be in the playoffs.
brooklynchild155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 04:33 PM   #5
evodeadd
I airball my layups

This may be a bit off-topic...but I sure miss the days when you just knew the knicks were a playoff team contending to make the championship when we had Ewing, Starks, Oakley, LJ, Houston...

It's alot different now...playoffs may or may not come. Last season we were contending to have the worst record in the league! Painful.

Do you believe Isiah who built this team around Marbury can lead us back into playoff contention?

It's all up in the air...can we get that comfortable feeling again that we are a winning team or are we looking at another season of disappointment.

If you recall...the knicks spent all of last season working on defense. It really didn't improve much at all. Players were cutting down the middle at will making the knicks look silly. There's no Ewing or Oak to intimidate anyone from doing the same thing again this year. Eddy and James? I'd love to be proven wrong by those 2.

Anyway...the best part about the draft and pre-season is there's hope for better days ahead. The players we have, have alot of talent and potential.
But like Riley used to say, we're only as good as our record shows. I just hope we do see that significant improvement that's being promised. For me I'd be happy to see at minimum a .500 record.

Last edited by evodeadd : 07-18-2006 at 05:30 PM.
evodeadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 05:31 PM   #6
huppcap
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawdrummer
many GM's would've probably taken Eddy Curry #1 in this years draft had he gone to college and probably developed a little better. He is currently only 23 years old, and turns 24 in Mid-December. Tyrus Thomas is 19, but it's really unknown how good he will actually be in this league. Kids got loads of physical ability, but lets wait and see how he adjusts to the NBA. Curry is already one of the best offensive centers in this league, and Isiah actually has a decent track record as a coach, and drafter...(i won't comment for now on his overall GM abilities, but dude's a great drafter). While with Toronto he drafted T-Mac, Damon Stoudemire, and Marcus Camby. He took over as coach of the Pacers in July of 2000, and led the team to a 131-115 record while grooming the young stars of that team at the time, which were Jermaine O'Neal, Ron Artest, Brad Miller, Al Harrington, and Jamaal Tinsley at one point or another. When he took over the team, Jerm was 22 and his numbers jumped from 13 and 10 in the first year to 20 and 10. Artest was 22 and 23 during his year and a half under isiah, he didn't actually improve that much at that time, but stayed consistent. Brad Miller was 25 or so when he came over with Artest from the bulls and continued his improvement. Al Harrington was 20 when isiah took over, and although he started only about half his games in his time with the pacers under isiah, he went from a 7.5 pt, 4.9 rb a game guy to a 12.2 pt, 6.4 rb a game off the bench. And last, Jamaal Tinsley was drafted before isiahs 2nd year, and scored 9.4 and 7.8 pts his first two years with 8.1 and 7.5 assists. After Thomas left, tinsleys assists fell to 5.8, 6.4, 5.0, and 6.9 assists a game after him.

While Marbury is one of the most experienced Knicks, he is still only 29(early part of his prime years in the NBA), and while playing with phoenix, he scored 22 points with 8 assists a game, and close to 2 steals a game. (that was a more uptempo offense like the one that will be run this year.) Crawford is 26(still young, just entering his prime) and was a 17 pt, 5 assist, 3 rb a game guy in the two years before Brown(he was starting mostly those two years however, and we saw how well he played at the end of the year last year while playing more.) Also, at some point i think the knicks were almost undefeated when Crawford scored 20 or more...was it 8-0 or something? QRich is also only 26, and entering his prime, and with phoenix(uptempo style again), he scored 15 pts, with 6 boards and 2 assists a game. next up is Eddy Curry, who as i said is 23, which means he has 3-4 years to improve before he gets to his prime. the most minutes he's played a game has been just under 30, and he scored about 15 pts with 6.2 boards and over a block a game that year. He has the potential to be a great center. Increase his time to maybe 35 min/game and factor in even minimal improvement, and his numbers could easily be 20 and at least 8 with at least a block a game...i'll take that from the #2 pick in this years draft...(i think the trade was kinda dumb though with chicago, but if it works out, oh well.) Even Jalen Rose, who i realize is getting older(33) saw his numbers rise from 18.2pts, 4.8 rb, 4.0ast, and 1.05 steals to 20.5, 5.0, 6.0, and .9 steals.

He seems to have an overall good effect on players, particularly young players...(we have 5 first round picks from the last two drafts). not to mention Curry and Crawford and even QRich are still fairly young. Plus, our team was built to play an uptempo style, and I know Brown has a certain system he plays, but i think he's at least partially to blame for not seeing that and changing his ways at least a little to accomodate this team. Isiah built this team and he will have them play the way he invisioned. All we need is our big men, especially Curry and James, to come into camp well-conditioned and ready to run and really play hard, we will surprise people.

It is nice to be optimistic. There are some good young players. Curry still has potential but has not shown any significant improvement the past 3 seasons. Maybe with another new coach in Isiah this will change. He should be averaging 10 rpg.

Jalen Rose??? Are you kidding me! You are using his stats from 2000. What significance is this? He scored 12ppg last year for both the Raptors and Knicks. He is way way overpaid. Marbury is cheap compared to him.

Marbury is not in his early prime years. He is at his prime and probably going down from here.

Unfortunately even with some of the young talent that has been gathered the salary cap situation screws this team up for the next few years.

Although I would expect them to have a better season than last.
huppcap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 06:10 PM   #7
Joey Zaza
Local High School Star

The big problem with this team - and its been the problem since the Latrell, Hoiuston, Rice days and has never been fixed is that the team is structurally flawed.

We have Steph, Nate, Crawf, and Francis - all shoot first pg's.
We do not have a true SG.
Q is a nice off-the ball 3, Blakman is a nice defensive 3, Rose is a nice scoring 3. Mix them all up and you have a true 3.
We do not have a rebounding 4.
Curry is a true 5.

All the players have good talent and nice individual skill sets, but its just not ingredients for a good-balanced team.
Joey Zaza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 10:01 PM   #8
ihatetimthomas
NBA Superstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Zaza
The big problem with this team - and its been the problem since the Latrell, Hoiuston, Rice days and has never been fixed is that the team is structurally flawed.

We have Steph, Nate, Crawf, and Francis - all shoot first pg's.
We do not have a true SG.
Q is a nice off-the ball 3, Blakman is a nice defensive 3, Rose is a nice scoring 3. Mix them all up and you have a true 3.
We do not have a rebounding 4.
Curry is a true 5.

All the players have good talent and nice individual skill sets, but its just not ingredients for a good-balanced team.

Yea this is ture...Knicks got loads of talent but they arnt the right combination...they dont complement each other and all of them make way toomuch money..curry hasnt developed in the past few years and is horrendous at rebounding...how cana guy his size avg only that many boards...plus he needs to cut his weight down...hes too slow at times and commits those lazy fouls which in turn cuts into his minutes
ihatetimthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: