Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 09-13-2007, 04:25 PM   #1
VCDrivesAPorscheToWork
Very good NBA starter

VCDrivesAPorscheToWork is considered somewhat coolVCDrivesAPorscheToWork is considered somewhat coolVCDrivesAPorscheToWork is considered somewhat cool
Default I've graduated college recently so I have more experience than freshmen. Ask me Q&A

ask me anything.
VCDrivesAPorscheToWork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 04:26 PM   #2
Agent_Zero
Great college starter

Agent_Zero is considered somewhat coolAgent_Zero is considered somewhat cool
Default Re: I've graduated college recently so I have more experience than freshmen. Ask me Q

How much effort is needed for college? Is it required to go over board and lose sleep over? What did you major in?
Agent_Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 04:29 PM   #3
Cannonball
Lets GO PENS!

Cannonball has a near all-star reputation hereCannonball has a near all-star reputation hereCannonball has a near all-star reputation hereCannonball has a near all-star reputation hereCannonball has a near all-star reputation hereCannonball has a near all-star reputation here
Default Re: I've graduated college recently so I have more experience than freshmen. Ask me Q

How hard is a pre-med major?
Cannonball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 06:08 PM   #4
Hawker
Banned

Hawker has an incredible reputation hereHawker has an incredible reputation hereHawker has an incredible reputation hereHawker has an incredible reputation hereHawker has an incredible reputation hereHawker has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent_Zero
How much effort is needed for college? Is it required to go over board and lose sleep over? What did you major in?

Depends on your major...In college if you can get at least 6 hours a night then you are good. Find some time to take a nap in the afternoon if you need some more rest.

But it depends on what you are planning to major in but since you are a freshman I doubt you really know yet. Trust me, you may think you know but you dont.
Hawker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 06:11 PM   #5
bigboi_baller
NBA rookie of the year

bigboi_baller is popular on this boardbigboi_baller is popular on this boardbigboi_baller is popular on this boardbigboi_baller is popular on this board

How important are SAT's?
bigboi_baller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 06:16 PM   #6
mlh1981
Reds/Bengals/Cavs

mlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigboi_baller
How important are SAT's?

Depends on what route you want to take. I mean, if you really want to save money, yet still get a good eduction, maybe go to a comm. college for a year or 2, then transfer to a major university. SAT/ACT isn't required, just a certain GPA so you can then transfer to a major university. Be very careful with this, because some schools don't necessarily transfer credits well, so you might get screwed over You will save thousands in the long run, though. Of course, you'll miss out on the "college experience." Guess it just depends on how important that is to you..........it's the "college experience" vs. saving money and avoiding the stress of standardized testing
mlh1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 06:23 PM   #7
LAZYBOY
PERMA-BANNED

LAZYBOY has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: I've graduated college recently so I have more experience than freshmen. Ask me Q&A

Will you braid my leg hair?
LAZYBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 07:00 PM   #8
Cannonball
Lets GO PENS!

Cannonball has a near all-star reputation hereCannonball has a near all-star reputation hereCannonball has a near all-star reputation hereCannonball has a near all-star reputation hereCannonball has a near all-star reputation hereCannonball has a near all-star reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAZYBOY
Will you braid my leg hair?
so you think going to a branch of a good uni for 2 years and then switching to main is the best route?
Old 09-13-2007, 07:02 PM   #9
VCDrivesAPorscheToWork
Very good NBA starter

VCDrivesAPorscheToWork is considered somewhat coolVCDrivesAPorscheToWork is considered somewhat coolVCDrivesAPorscheToWork is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent_Zero

if you want a 4.0, then you better work your ass off.

Classes themselves take up a minor part of your schedule. it's all about study on yourself and utilizing resources to put yourself ahead.

but if you want to party hard and just get about ~3.0-3.3, then go for it. not much effort needed.

you need to not give jack shi t about your college tuition if you go 2.5 or lower

as for Cannonball's question:

I have quite a few premed friends

if you go to a Top 10 school or the Ivys, then you need to work hard and get at least 3.4 GPA + ~31 on the MCATs to get into a run of the mill med school.

3.7 for a lesser undergrad university.

if you want to enter the highest and best med schools, aim for 3.7+ and 36+ on the MCATs (both very difficult)
Old 09-13-2007, 07:06 PM   #10
SCY
Put yr guns up

SCY has a terrific reputationSCY has a terrific reputationSCY has a terrific reputationSCY has a terrific reputationSCY has a terrific reputation
Default Re: I've graduated college recently so I have more experience than freshmen. Ask me Q&A

You want us to ask you questions AND answers!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!
SCY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 07:06 PM   #11
Cannonball
Lets GO PENS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCDrivesAPorscheToWork
as for Cannonball's question:

I have quite a few premed friends

if you go to a Top 10 school or the Ivys, then you need to work hard and get at least 3.4 GPA + ~31 on the MCATs to get into a run of the mill med school.

3.7 for a lesser undergrad university.

if you want to enter the highest and best med schools, aim for 3.7+ and 36+ on the MCATs (both very difficult)
I'm going to have no social life... I'm thinking Pittsburgh University. They seem to have a very good pre-med program.
Old 09-13-2007, 07:10 PM   #12
bigboi_baller
NBA rookie of the year

bigboi_baller is popular on this boardbigboi_baller is popular on this boardbigboi_baller is popular on this boardbigboi_baller is popular on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlh1981
Depends on what route you want to take. I mean, if you really want to save money, yet still get a good eduction, maybe go to a comm. college for a year or 2, then transfer to a major university. SAT/ACT isn't required, just a certain GPA so you can then transfer to a major university. Be very careful with this, because some schools don't necessarily transfer credits well, so you might get screwed over You will save thousands in the long run, though. Of course, you'll miss out on the "college experience." Guess it just depends on how important that is to you..........it's the "college experience" vs. saving money and avoiding the stress of standardized testing

Nah, I'm eyeing some of the big name schools: UCLA, UC berkeley, Stanford, and USC basically.

I already had a 4.3 (3.95 unweighted) last semester of jr year. I got a 4 on the AP test for english. I got in the 600's for Bio SAT II and for Chem SAT II. I got decent extra curriculars (rec basketball leagues, volunteer work, coaching, tutoring). I'm a minority. So everything is lookin good.

But the first time I took the SAT (no studying and after a long night), I got 1750 or 1800, something like that. Which isn't all that great.

You guys think I could get into my ideal colleges? I don't think so, I'm planning on taking it again and I got a prep book. Also going to take the ACT.
bigboi_baller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 07:13 PM   #13
VCDrivesAPorscheToWork
Very good NBA starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannonball
I'm going to have no social life... I'm thinking Pittsburgh University. They seem to have a very good pre-med program.

if you're smart and not anti social, you will have a social life. dont' worry.

it's all about being forthright and accepting the fact you will never be a party animal and bang a different chick every night and drink beer to excess amounts every single day and be a facebook hotshot.

but you will be a good professional one day who makes a lot of money and commands respect.
Old 09-13-2007, 07:18 PM   #14
mlh1981
Reds/Bengals/Cavs

mlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I would reccomend for ISH posters going to college soon to keep your mind and your eyes open. You may THINK you know what you want to do (and some of you might), but honestly, you may have no idea and it will take experiencing college and life away from home to figure that out. Don't be close minded about your career choice, in other words. Again, and I stress, some of you may be 100 percent sure what you want to do, but I highly doubt that there are too many teenagers who TRULY know. They just pick something because their friend is going down that route, or they feel pressure from their parents........
mlh1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 07:21 PM   #15
aahhsin
Banned

aahhsin has an OK reputation so far

i got a 3.5 in college. can i get into grad school?
aahhsin is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: