Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Philadelphia 76ers Forum

Philadelphia 76ers Forum Philadelphia 76ers forum - 76ers message board - Sixers fan forum

Old 07-18-2006, 03:27 PM   #1
simonmash
Can barely lace up my sneakers

simonmash has an OK reputation so far
Default 76ers Offered AI to Clippers

Yesterday, I was listening to a local sports radio show here in Los Angeles and I tuned in in the middle of the topic. Now I don't know if the 76ers actually proposed a trade or if they were doing a scenerio where they did.

The trade consisted of: AI for Corey Maggette and Shaun Livingston.

Now....most people around the NBA Nation would say why would the Clippers even think about it...it's a 100% yes. And it would def sell more tickets for the Clippers and bring more excitement....

Me on the other hand, being a loyal Clippers fan the last 9 years, would hate this move. Bringing AI is the exact opposite of what the Clippers represent. Mike Dunleavy wants 100% committment to the team, such as practice, AI does not do that...plus he would take looks away from Sam Cassell, Cutino Mobely, and their all star Elton Brand, not to mention new addition Tim Thomas....now, with Maggette, he knows his role on the team (take it to the hole and get fouled) and Shaun Livingston is an amazing passer who will be an all star in the near future.

What do you guys think?
simonmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 03:40 PM   #2
Hawker
Banned

Hawker has an incredible reputation hereHawker has an incredible reputation hereHawker has an incredible reputation hereHawker has an incredible reputation hereHawker has an incredible reputation hereHawker has an incredible reputation here

shaun livingston is a growing PG but Corey maggette is a injury liability. MAggette is decent.

Seems ok for both sides. Move AI to SG and Cassell at PG and Brand at PF. A little too much scoring power?
Hawker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 03:40 PM   #3
Hawker
Banned

Hawker has an incredible reputation hereHawker has an incredible reputation hereHawker has an incredible reputation hereHawker has an incredible reputation hereHawker has an incredible reputation hereHawker has an incredible reputation here

ya ya ya ya
Hawker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 03:54 PM   #4
brwnman

brwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputation

I like Livingston and all, but Shaun is more of a threat to be injured than Maggette... I don't think Livingston can be an all-star in the next 3 years, he will need lots of time to develop his shot... to be honest, I think Livingston has the potential but will only make the all-star team maybe a couple of years in his career...
brwnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 03:58 PM   #5
Tarik One
NBA rookie of the year

Tarik One has decent reputationTarik One has decent reputation

Cassell and AI playing together? Might as well put Tupac and Biggie in the same backcourt. No way that's gonna work.
Tarik One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 03:58 PM   #6
Prime Objective

Prime Objective has an OK reputation so far

yeah i like shaun as a player, all he has to devolop is a jumpshot, but has been bitten by the injury bug, hopefully dont have a problem with this in his future
Prime Objective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 03:59 PM   #7
thenextgreatbigman
Banned

thenextgreatbigman has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarik One
Cassell and AI playing together? Might as well put Tupac and Biggie in the same backcourt. No way that's gonna work.
:rollingeyes: it wasn't that bad
thenextgreatbigman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 04:00 PM   #8
brwnman

brwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputation

bad deal for the clippers...
brwnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 04:00 PM   #9
kingsfan
Serious playground baller

kingsfan has no real reputation yet.

The AI and the practice thing is overblown, he's the type of guy who will it all when on the court. I personally think Livingston is overated, he won't even surpass the current Chris Paul..
kingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 04:01 PM   #10
basketballer4
Sweaty ti.ts

basketballer4 is considered somewhat coolbasketballer4 is considered somewhat coolbasketballer4 is considered somewhat cool

That doesn't work out financially.
basketballer4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 04:01 PM   #11
Kobe24
Banned

Kobe24 is considered somewhat coolKobe24 is considered somewhat coolKobe24 is considered somewhat cool

Livingston can't even shoot. If I spent all my time passing,would I be considered good? AI and Cassell? Who's gonna guard the Kobe's,the carter's in the league?
Kobe24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 04:07 PM   #12
xxxSuperStar
I Like Tacos

xxxSuperStar has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarik One

Or you might as well but Marbury and Francis in the same backcourt. OOPS.
xxxSuperStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 04:11 PM   #13
ShawnieMac06
High School Varsity 6th Man

ShawnieMac06 has an OK reputation so far

As a long time Clipper fan as well, I kinda have mixed feelings about bringing Iverson to Los Angeles. This is the biggest topic on all of the sports stations here in L.A., and most of the hosts I've heard are on the fence about this too. Half of them want the trade, the other half just don't see it happening.

Me personally, if you talking a younger Iverson for Maggette-Livingston, then I would do it in a heartbeat. Of course, they couldn't realistically couldn't do the trade, unless the Clips throw in another player and/or future draft picks. This coming season, Iverson is making $18 million, while Maggette and Livingston combined will make about $11 million, so the Clips would have to throw at least another $7 million to make the salaries match. The Clips only have one other player who makes $7 million (not counting Elton Brand's max salary), and that's Philly's own Cuttino Mobley, and I don't see the Clippers trading Mobley unless it's for the right price.

And defensively, with Iverson's wear and tear (as well as his injury history, even though he was relatively healthy the last two years) and Sam Cassell being a defensively liability, they're gonna give up almost twice as much they score and will probably get the frontcourt players in foul trouble. However, if the Clips want go the route of the Miami Heat, where they collect a bunch of good veteran players and try to win now, I say go for it...make the trade.

I'm not the biggest Corey Maggette fan, so I could care less if he's traded or not. He's no more dependable than what he's always been, he's been known to make dumb plays in crucial situations. I'm not jumping on the Shaun Livingston bandwagon yet either, he still needs to develop his shot and decision-making skills.
ShawnieMac06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 04:24 PM   #14
Voice of Reason
Local High School Star

Voice of Reason has not been impressing people

AI would make the Clippers NBA title contenders. Sixers would get back potential in a PG who could pan out. Shaun would be in a situation where he is surrounded by pure athletes that love to get out and run. This also puts Carney in position to be a backup and gradually work his way into the lineup instead of being thrown in the fire. I dont think this deal works out financially though. But I like the major pieces involved for both teams. I like to hear Shaun/Maggette better then other deals like Dre Miller plus a big (Kmart, Nene or Camby). Boston fell thru when they screwed up and got Telefair by trading that 7th pick.

One issue people are overlookin is Webber. He has publicly stated the only reason he ok'ed a deal to Phlly was to play with AI. No other factor besides AI and he says loyalty is big with him. He understands this is a business but also made it implied if AI is gone they should move me as well. That he wasnt ok with rebuilding and how he was at an age in his career where playoffs should be a given so to rebuild when he has only 4yrs left in the league aint happenin. Trading AI would be what Webber doesnt want. How that plays out if AI were to be dealt is very very interesting to say the least.
Voice of Reason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 04:26 PM   #15
simonmash

simonmash has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnieMac06
As a long time Clipper fan as well, I kinda have mixed feelings about bringing Iverson to Los Angeles. This is the biggest topic on all of the sports stations here in L.A., and most of the hosts I've heard are on the fence about this too. Half of them want the trade, the other half just don't see it happening.

Me personally, if you talking a younger Iverson for Maggette-Livingston, then I would do it in a heartbeat. Of course, they couldn't realistically couldn't do the trade, unless the Clips throw in another player and/or future draft picks. This coming season, Iverson is making $18 million, while Maggette and Livingston combined will make about $11 million, so the Clips would have to throw at least another $7 million to make the salaries match. The Clips only have one other player who makes $7 million (not counting Elton Brand's max salary), and that's Philly's own Cuttino Mobley, and I don't see the Clippers trading Mobley unless it's for the right price.

And defensively, with Iverson's wear and tear (as well as his injury history, even though he was relatively healthy the last two years) and Sam Cassell being a defensively liability, they're gonna give up almost twice as much they score and will probably get the frontcourt players in foul trouble. However, if the Clips want go the route of the Miami Heat, where they collect a bunch of good veteran players and try to win now, I say go for it...make the trade.

I'm not the biggest Corey Maggette fan, so I could care less if he's traded or not. He's no more dependable than what he's always been, he's been known to make dumb plays in crucial situations. I'm not jumping on the Shaun Livingston bandwagon yet either, he still needs to develop his shot and decision-making skills.

As dumb as Maggette gets in crucial situations....he is still one of the bestplayers getting to the free throw line and he avgs an EASY 17-20 pts a game. And Livingston.....although everyone likes to make fun of his shot, everyone seems to forget how many of those mid-range jump shots he made towards the end of the regular season and in the playoffs....I've seen him in training camp once in Santa Barbara, he's an amazing passer....and don't forget what kind of defender he has become...him and Quinton Ross are huge defensive threats...

I say the trade shouldn't go through. Personally I love the Clippers' Roster and would love to have the Starting Five as:

PG Sam Cassell
SG Cutino Mobley
SF Quinton Ross
PF Elton Brand
C Chris Kaman

6th Man - Corey Maggette
Then you have Shaun Livingston and Tim Thomas

Now...if you have followed the Clippers, then you know how great James Singleton was in his limited playing time this year...plus when Rebraca is healthy he is unstoppable in the paint...Daniel Ewing isn't so bad either, he is just young and is looked down upon for Dunleavy's mistake in Game 5 of the 2nd Round....N'Dong and Koralev have a lot to work on

This is a solid team. I think they can get to the Western Conference Finals...they have a great frontline between Kaman and Brand, they get point, rebounds, and blocks....they are amazing together...they have offense, they have defense, they can rebound, and they will excite you....

I love this team.
simonmash is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: