Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 09-15-2007, 08:50 PM   #16
Skywalker
LFC|JAYS|RAPS|VIKES

Skywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Best Players in the NFL- Team

no problemo!

at least now you know Im not so dumb that I dont even have Smith on the team
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 09:00 PM   #17
Carbine
Facts Are Misleading

Carbine has decent reputationCarbine has decent reputation

Quote:
Past is the past, Junior Seau used to lead the league in tackles too...where is he now? Bottom line, lately Moss hasn't done much of anything and I don't think his stock should rise back to the top after one great game.

That was one of the worst comparisons ever. Seau is years removed of being an elite linebacker. Moss is only a few years removed from historic seasons, and he's shown in week one the ability to get free at the line of scrimmage (he put some nasty moves on the Jet' cornerbacks) and when all else fails he showed that, yes, he may not be as fast as he was when he entered the league, but that super burst is still there. When Tom threw that long ball to Randy he was literally 3 yards in front of 1 of the Jet cover guys, he turned on the afterburn and BOOM he's 2 yards behind every Jet player in sight. All that separation is about four seconds.

Now I'm not saying one game tells all, but it does show that he still has what it takes to be the best wideout in the league. Can he do that on a consistent basis? That is yet to see, but I wouldn't bet against him.
Carbine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 09:08 PM   #18
Los Angeles
A Diamond In the Rough

Los Angeles has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
That was one of the worst comparisons ever

Yes it was a bad comparison, but claiming Randy Moss as a #1 receiver in the league after ONE great game is not far behind...especially since he was on no one's radar in the last few years.

I'm simply saying give it some time before putting him over guys like Harrison, Smith and Johnson. You can praise him as much as you want, I just find it offensive that you would degrade other receiver's just to make Moss look good, after one game.

Smith, Johnson, Harrison all had good first weeks...just because Moss had the best week among all receivers doesn't make him automatically the best in this game...it's a terrible way to judge players, because you're not taking consistency under consideration.
Los Angeles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 09:42 PM   #19
-primetime-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Los Angeles
Owens best year: 93 receptions, 1412 yards, 16 touchdowns
Moss best year: 111 receptions, 1632 yards, 17 touchdowns

Both of those years were in 2002 & 2003 respectively.

Smith's best year: 103 receptions, 1563 yards, 12 touchdowns

How are these numbers not "comparable" again? They seem pretty close to me, with Moss having the edge.
did you not see a bit of a differrence in TDs?

minus the Oakland years Moss and Owens put up numbers like that repeatedly....Smith is overrated IMO

you can argue that he is the premire WR in the NFL if you want to...go ahead, you are not alone in thinking that....

IMO I would rather have a big guy type like Owens/Andre/Roy/Calvin/Fitz
Old 09-15-2007, 09:49 PM   #20
Carbine
Facts Are Misleading

Smith is not overrated. Please explain why he's overrated? Is it because he's considered an elite wideout?

Because that's not overrating him. It's simply the truth. He belongs.
Old 09-15-2007, 09:52 PM   #21
-primetime-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbine
Smith is not overrated. Please explain why he's overrated? Is it because he's considered an elite wideout?

Because that's not overrating him. It's simply the truth. He belongs.
I agree but there is a cult out there that believes Smith is "THE" premire WR in the NFL over guys like Owens in Moss...

LA is a prime example of someone from this group...

is Smith a top 10 WR?...no question about it

is Smith the best WR in the NFL?....nope

I personaly don't have him as a top 5 WR but I don't have a problem with anyone that does....I just have a problem with people that think he is clearly better than WRs like Owens...
Old 09-15-2007, 09:59 PM   #22
Los Angeles
A Diamond In the Rough

Quote:
IMO I would rather have a big guy type like Owens/Andre/Roy/Calvin/Fitz

Take them bud please do, hey I'll gladly remind you barring any injury to Smith, why I consider him the best receiver after week 17, Ok?

: @ mentioning those players.

Steve Smith on "Best Damn Show Period" 3 weeks ago...and it's hilarious you brought it up man.

Salley: "Why does everyone continue pick up these so called prototype receivers in the 1st round."

Steve Smith: "I don't know man, I sure as hell don't see them with me in Hawaii..."

I nearly died laughing, and it's the god honest truth...

Steve Smith might be a little man but he makes up for it with his heart...you talk about big guy, this guy is BIGGER then any of those players...maybe not in physical size, but he is bigger then them on the field.

You can do anything and everything with Steve Smith, he can be a deep threat, he can make a sideline catch, he can go down the middle and take a huge hit...he's easily the most elusive elite receiver in the game today, he's a great character to boot...he's a high morale player in the locker room, never points fingers like TO does most of the time. Hell this guy has been in the pro-bowl already 3 times.

Anyways enough with me ranting about how great Smith is, I'll just let you see for yourself...I have all the confidence in the world that Smith will prove me right.

Last edited by Los Angeles : 09-15-2007 at 10:03 PM.
Old 09-15-2007, 10:01 PM   #23
Carbine
Facts Are Misleading

LA said Smith is the clear cut best wideout in the league? Where did he say that? Are you putting words in his mouth?

It's not that outragous to say Smith is the best wideout in the league. A legit (some more than others) argument can be made for all the elite guys.
Old 09-15-2007, 10:07 PM   #24
-primetime-

Quote:
Steve Smith: "I don't know man, I sure as hell don't see them with me in Hawaii..."
Owens spit in D. Hall's face after torching him....that is why he wasn't in the probowl
Quote:
Anyways enough with me ranting about how great Smith is, I'll just let you see for yourself...I have all the confidence in the world that Smith will prove me right.

I will take Owens or Moss (pick one for me) and you can have Smith.....we will base who is better off of thier fantasy numbers.
Old 09-15-2007, 10:10 PM   #25
Los Angeles
A Diamond In the Rough

Quote:
did you not see a bit of a differrence in TDs?

You're stressing me out man...because you really need to educate yourself about other teams in this league, not just Dallas and your own roster before commenting.

Carolina Panthers are coached by John Fox, a defensive minded coach who is a run first coach because he believes in controlling the clock...which means anytime Carolina are in the red zone they will run the ball most of the time, how many times have I seen him dust the ball off the Foster on 3 straight downs. He's probably the most conservative coach in the league.

Owens & Moss played under different systems, it's a fact that out of those 12 touchdowns Smith scored I wouldn't be surprised if 50% of them were 30+ yard catches for the score.

Last edited by Los Angeles : 09-15-2007 at 10:13 PM.
Old 09-15-2007, 10:12 PM   #26
Los Angeles
A Diamond In the Rough

Quote:
I will take Owens or Moss (pick one for me) and you can have Smith.....we will base who is better off of thier fantasy numbers.

Sure, barring injury I say Smith will outplay TO this season.
Old 09-15-2007, 10:15 PM   #27
-primetime-

Quote:
Sure, barring injury I say Smith will outplay TO this season.
ok...we will go by ESPN fantasy numbers...

each player has to play at least 12 games

loser has to sport the other ones avatar until the end of the Super Bowl

you sure you don't want to go with Moss?....T.O. already has 2 TDs, last chance
Old 09-15-2007, 10:18 PM   #28
Los Angeles
A Diamond In the Rough

Steve Smith outplayed Terrell Owens 1st week did he not?
7 receptions, 118 yards and 1 TD Vs. 3 receptions, 87 yards and 2 TDs?

Or do you base everything off touchdowns?
Steve Smith contributed on all 3 of Carolina's touchdowns by making either a 3rd down reception, bringing them to the red zone or flat out scoring a 68 yard TD reception which ended up being the game winning reception.
Old 09-15-2007, 10:52 PM   #29
-primetime-

Quote:
Steve Smith outplayed Terrell Owens 1st week did he not?
7 receptions, 118 yards and 1 TD Vs. 3 receptions, 87 yards and 2 TDs?

Or do you base everything off touchdowns?
Steve Smith contributed on all 3 of Carolina's touchdowns by making either a 3rd down reception, bringing them to the red zone or flat out scoring a 68 yard TD reception which ended up being the game winning reception.
6 pts. per TD
1 pt. for every 20 yds.

so no, he did not out play T.O.

Moss or T.O.?....who do you want me to take?
Old 09-15-2007, 11:09 PM   #30
Carbine
Facts Are Misleading

That system is completly biased towards redzone receivers. A guy could have a 1000/10TD season for 110 fantasy points, compared to a receiver who goes for 1500/6TD for 111. Obviously flawed system to base who the best receiver is.

Seriously.

Let me judge. I'm far superior to this fantasy bull****.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: