Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 09-17-2007, 10:55 PM   #16
kwajo
Missing Since 2009

kwajo has an incredible reputation herekwajo has an incredible reputation herekwajo has an incredible reputation herekwajo has an incredible reputation herekwajo has an incredible reputation herekwajo has an incredible reputation herekwajo has an incredible reputation here
Default Re: a balls-ass hard IQ test for you

IQ tests are a screwy business because they vary so much and can hve biases toward different disciplines or ways of learning. Not to mention the fact that most online ones are dubious from the start. I've taken both online IQ tests and written ones and gotten scores anywhere from 120 to 200, which is obviously a very large range (and after 10-15 minutes of doing the one geeWiz posted I got 130 after 30 questions, so it fits in that range). The highest I got on a properly administered written test was 181, but even it had problems.

Basically I say throw the whole IQ thing out the window. It's pointless and doesn't really indicate anything about a person's capabilities or mental capacity. The only thing the test are good for is a bit of fun (which they are) and some mental exercise in basic problem solving - that's it.
kwajo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 10:56 PM   #17
kazaks
I hit open 5-footers

kazaks has an OK reputation so far

I got a 98, and Im only 13. I didnt guess on a single question either.
kazaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 11:11 PM   #18
boozehound
An uglier Lamar Doom

boozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwajo
IQ tests are a screwy business because they vary so much and can hve biases toward different disciplines or ways of learning. Not to mention the fact that most online ones are dubious from the start. I've taken both online IQ tests and written ones and gotten scores anywhere from 120 to 200, which is obviously a very large range (and after 10-15 minutes of doing the one geeWiz posted I got 130 after 30 questions, so it fits in that range). The highest I got on a properly administered written test was 181, but even it had problems.

Basically I say throw the whole IQ thing out the window. It's pointless and doesn't really indicate anything about a person's capabilities or mental capacity. The only thing the test are good for is a bit of fun (which they are) and some mental exercise in basic problem solving - that's it.
despite the excessive self referencing, this is a good post. IQ tests are fun pattern solving exercises, but are not really any true indication of intelligence. Wheres the EQ?

Wheres my Bill Laimbeer fight mix on youtube? ?
boozehound is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 11:41 PM   #19
RobertSwift31
High School JV MVP

RobertSwift31 has an OK reputation so far

I got a 133 in 21 minutes
RobertSwift31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 12:17 AM   #20
Bourne
Valancais for RoY

Bourne has not been impressing people

Bourne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 10:02 AM   #21
Sagat
Tiger! Tiger!

Sagat has an OK reputation so far

Wow, my brain is fried.

Sagat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 10:11 AM   #22
Sagat
Tiger! Tiger!

I'm not trying to call anyone out... but if you scored above 110, you need to do a screen shot and prove it.

Until then, I don't believe you. That test is magnificently hard!
Old 09-18-2007, 11:23 AM   #23
geeWiz15
Quality Posts™

geeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation here

my second run through I got a 122 and was amazed at all the obvious **** I missed. I didn't go into it with the right frame of mind... I was expecting the word ones, where it's like which word does not belong: mouse, rat, dog, cat, tractor.

if I took it again it'd probably go up a little more but I still don't think I'm hitting the 130+ range.

I read somewhere that video games vastly increase your ability to do puzzles like this. so maybe that's my problem.
geeWiz15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 11:44 AM   #24
Los Angeles
A Diamond In the Rough

Los Angeles has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
read somewhere that video games vastly increase your ability to do puzzles like this. so maybe that's my problem.

That would explain why our Street Fighter legend got a whooping 133...
Los Angeles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 11:53 AM   #25
Sagat
Tiger! Tiger!

:

Playing video games could assist you, but we're talking just a minor, minor fraction. It might help you get from say a 110 to a 113, but it's not going to jump you anything more than 5-7 points, at best.

On another issue with video games - a study has been done that surgeons who play video games 15 minutes before they perform an operation, have been shown to have more accurate surgeries.

I would try it again to see if I could beat 133, but I'm not sure which ones I got right or wrong... so that would make it that much more difficult.

I might try it again after my lunch break... my brain is still numb!
Old 09-19-2007, 09:33 AM   #26
Sagat
Tiger! Tiger!

Default Re: A very hard IQ test for you

Should I give this another shot?

I doubt I can do better... but we'll see.
Old 09-19-2007, 12:08 PM   #27
Cannonball
Lets GO PENS!

Cannonball has a near all-star reputation hereCannonball has a near all-star reputation hereCannonball has a near all-star reputation hereCannonball has a near all-star reputation hereCannonball has a near all-star reputation hereCannonball has a near all-star reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagat
:

Playing video games could assist you, but we're talking just a minor, minor fraction. It might help you get from say a 110 to a 113, but it's not going to jump you anything more than 5-7 points, at best.

On another issue with video games - a study has been done that surgeons who play video games 15 minutes before they perform an operation, have been shown to have more accurate surgeries.

I would try it again to see if I could beat 133, but I'm not sure which ones I got right or wrong... so that would make it that much more difficult.

I might try it again after my lunch break... my brain is still numb!
Not only that but street figher really isn't the type of game that would help you much.
Cannonball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 12:28 PM   #28
Sagat
Tiger! Tiger!

Why are people not trying this test?

I'd love to see more results from others.
Old 09-19-2007, 12:33 PM   #29
Los Angeles
A Diamond In the Rough

Los Angeles has an OK reputation so far

I don't understand how all these IQ test's work, I took a big online IQ test and scored only 132 like a year ago...and I scored 104 on this.

Yet I scored a lot better on my SAT, and I have one of the best marks in my program. I won two books as a scholership for having one of the highest GPAs in year 1. And I'm positive kids in my classes would get higher scores then 104 & 132...I comprehend things well, and I only study during the exam week.

So I'm missing how these IQ tests measure your true intelligence.
Los Angeles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 12:37 PM   #30
DoubleTech
NBA lottery pick

DoubleTech is a pretty well-respected posterDoubleTech is a pretty well-respected posterDoubleTech is a pretty well-respected posterDoubleTech is a pretty well-respected poster

i got 111, took me just under 20 minutes...

one of the better ways to waste some time i suppose...
DoubleTech is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: