Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 09-18-2007, 08:36 PM   #1
MK2V1GP
Very good NBA starter

MK2V1GP is popular on this boardMK2V1GP is popular on this boardMK2V1GP is popular on this boardMK2V1GP is popular on this board
Default Easiest career, but good salary?

What do you think is the best career if you are lazy, but yet you want to make money? lol, sounds like a dumb question. i have worked for a newspaper for four years as a sports writer and im about to graduate from Univ of North Texas with a degree in journalism. sports reporting requires you to work extremely late and weird hours, but for the first part of your career, you wont make that much money, 35K per year on average. UPS drivers make that much (i might look into that if i dont find a job i want when i get out of college, lol).

i was jus wondering and looking at average salaries online for different types of jobs.

so, if i wanted to find a decent job, with regular work hours that i would still get paid good, what would that be?
MK2V1GP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 08:37 PM   #2
SupermanOnSteroids
Local High School Star

SupermanOnSteroids posts stuff that is definitely making some people angrySupermanOnSteroids posts stuff that is definitely making some people angrySupermanOnSteroids posts stuff that is definitely making some people angry
Default Re: Easiest career, but good salary?

Post Office
SupermanOnSteroids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 08:39 PM   #3
ALBballer
Religion? LOL? WTF?

ALBballer has an incredible reputation hereALBballer has an incredible reputation hereALBballer has an incredible reputation hereALBballer has an incredible reputation hereALBballer has an incredible reputation hereALBballer has an incredible reputation hereALBballer has an incredible reputation hereALBballer has an incredible reputation here

Teacher.

And I'm being serious. You get ridiculous vacation time and while you may be in school 7 hours or so, you teach in half of that time. It's almost a part time job and not to mention the health care and retirement plans.

And you could always get a decent part time job to make some extra cash.
ALBballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 08:43 PM   #4
Doomsday Dallas
we fight as MAVERICKS!

Doomsday Dallas has an incredible reputation hereDoomsday Dallas has an incredible reputation hereDoomsday Dallas has an incredible reputation hereDoomsday Dallas has an incredible reputation hereDoomsday Dallas has an incredible reputation hereDoomsday Dallas has an incredible reputation hereDoomsday Dallas has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALBballer
Teacher.

And I'm being serious. You get ridiculous vacation time and while you may be in school 7 hours or so, you teach in half of that time. It's almost a part time job and not to mention the health care and retirement plans.

And you could always get a decent part time job to make some extra cash.

You do have a good point...

They work as half as much as I do and get paid a little more.

You still need a Bachleors degree to teach... which I don't have.
Doomsday Dallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 08:43 PM   #5
MK2V1GP
Very good NBA starter

MK2V1GP is popular on this boardMK2V1GP is popular on this boardMK2V1GP is popular on this boardMK2V1GP is popular on this board

yeah, i thought about that and coaching, but the coaching part would take up ALOT of extra time...you'd be up at the school from before school started to way after school ends.

but teaching would be ok i guess. you get to work with a lot of different people and you do get crapload of off time during the summer. and teaching salaries are going up too.

any other professions?
MK2V1GP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 08:48 PM   #6
boozehound
An uglier Lamar Doom

boozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

really something in sales. Most teacher I know spend their evenings grading and preparing for the next day. You really think teachers only teach half of the school day? Ive never seen it. ask mlh, hes a professional sub. besides, they dont make much money compared to most professions. esp. since you need a ba, teaching certification, and must be working towards a MA in education on top of it all.
boozehound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 08:49 PM   #7
White Chocolate
5-time NBA All-Star

White Chocolate has a terrific reputationWhite Chocolate has a terrific reputationWhite Chocolate has a terrific reputationWhite Chocolate has a terrific reputationWhite Chocolate has a terrific reputationWhite Chocolate has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doomsday Dallas
You do have a good point...

They work as half as much as I do and get paid a little more.

You still need a Bachleors degree to teach... which I don't have.

How old are you? I'm not sure if all UPS drivers get paid the same, but the ones in NYC earn around $50,000-$55,000 a year. You can go to Suffolk County in New York, and be a cop for almost $90,000.
White Chocolate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 08:53 PM   #8
ALBballer
Religion? LOL? WTF?

ALBballer has an incredible reputation hereALBballer has an incredible reputation hereALBballer has an incredible reputation hereALBballer has an incredible reputation hereALBballer has an incredible reputation hereALBballer has an incredible reputation hereALBballer has an incredible reputation hereALBballer has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by boozehound
really something in sales. Most teacher I know spend their evenings grading and preparing for the next day. You really think teachers only teach half of the school day? Ive never seen it. ask mlh, hes a professional sub. besides, they dont make much money compared to most professions. esp. since you need a ba, teaching certification, and must be working towards a MA in education on top of it all.

Grading? Pssshh. You can do that shyt while your watching T.V.

Besides, like I said, it's almost a part time job. You still have 3 till whatever to do other shyt. Maybe startup a small business, be a bartender or whatever, and all the days off you get is incredible. Summers off, 2 weeks during christmas, winter break, spring break and not to mention all the holidays.

It always sound like a nice, easy job to me. And although it does start low, once you work a few years or if you get a higher degree your pay will increase.
Old 09-18-2007, 08:54 PM   #9
ALBballer
Religion? LOL? WTF?

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Chocolate
How old are you? I'm not sure if all UPS drivers get paid the same, but the ones in NYC earn around $50,000-$55,000 a year. You can go to Suffolk County in New York, and be a cop for almost $90,000.

Cop is only making 90k after a huge amount of overtime. And cops from Suffolk and Nassau are the highest paid in the nation and there's always a chance you won't start off in LI. You might have to work in the City at first.
Old 09-18-2007, 08:55 PM   #10
MJ23
Banned

MJ23 has an OK reputation so far

UPS driver or some government is the best for you....Aircraft controller make great money...$109,000 a year
MJ23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 08:55 PM   #11
boozehound
An uglier Lamar Doom

boozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALBballer
It always sound like a nice, easy job to me. And although it does start low, once you work a few years or if you get a higher degree your pay will increase.
how is 7-3 any shorter than 9-5?

Also the upper limit in teaching is pretty low. Not like profit based occupations.
Old 09-18-2007, 08:57 PM   #12
boozehound
An uglier Lamar Doom

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ23
UPS driver or some government is the best for you....Aircraft controller make great money...$109,000 a year
true that. I knew an idiot who worked airport security before 9/11. They made him take a weekend course and his salary more than doubled due to the new "stricter" requirements and higher wages to attract more qualified people. Exact same job as before. he loved it.
Old 09-18-2007, 08:59 PM   #13
ALBballer
Religion? LOL? WTF?

Quote:
Originally Posted by boozehound
how is 7-3 any shorter than 9-5?

Also the upper limit in teaching is pretty low. Not like profit based occupations.

Because like I said your not teaching the whole time, maybe 3 hours or so.

BTW, isn't airtraffic controller considered the most stressful jobs?
Old 09-18-2007, 09:00 PM   #14
gts
Sons of Antartica

gts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

become a new york knick, thomas will sign you to a large paycheck then waive you when he finds out you suck... it's actualy better than working because thomas will pay you not to work
Quote:
BTW, isn't airtraffic controller considered the most stressful jobs?
only if you take the job serious, kickback relax and treat it like a video game and all's well...lol just kidding, yeah it's a very high pressure job...i have a friend who is a controller in LA and he's not looking real healthy

Last edited by gts : 09-18-2007 at 09:02 PM.
gts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 09:03 PM   #15
MJ23
Banned

MJ23 has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by gts
become a new york knick, thomas will sign you to a large paycheck then waive you when he finds out you suck... it's actualy better than working because thomas will pay you not to work

do you know that only 1 in 1,000,000 people are drafted in the nba
MJ23 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: