Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 09-18-2007, 09:09 PM   #1
VCDrivesAPorscheToWork
Very good NBA starter

VCDrivesAPorscheToWork is considered somewhat coolVCDrivesAPorscheToWork is considered somewhat coolVCDrivesAPorscheToWork is considered somewhat cool
Default This paradox has troubled me for a while now...

okay let's say you are a workoholic, a desperate one who is bordering on depression because you work so much yet have no fun.

however, each night you actually go out to some of the hottest parties and sleep with a lot of beautiful women, etc...

but at the end of each night, your memory is wiped. permanently.

therefore, the next day you continue your miserable workoholic life.

so if this happens every single day and no one tells you, can you truly say you have ever been a party animal who slept with a lot of beautiful women and is really not a workoholic?
VCDrivesAPorscheToWork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 09:13 PM   #2
Mr_Basketball#1
McCants is Available!!

Mr_Basketball#1 has an incredible reputation hereMr_Basketball#1 has an incredible reputation hereMr_Basketball#1 has an incredible reputation hereMr_Basketball#1 has an incredible reputation hereMr_Basketball#1 has an incredible reputation hereMr_Basketball#1 has an incredible reputation hereMr_Basketball#1 has an incredible reputation here
Default Re: This paradox has troubled me for a while now...

Do you only post in the off-topic section now??? I never see any posts from you in General NBA
Mr_Basketball#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 09:18 PM   #3
VCDrivesAPorscheToWork
Very good NBA starter

VCDrivesAPorscheToWork is considered somewhat coolVCDrivesAPorscheToWork is considered somewhat coolVCDrivesAPorscheToWork is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Basketball#1
Do you only post in the off-topic section now??? I never see any posts from you in General NBA

i actually only post on the Nets forum.

I make it an issue to seldom post on Off the Court or Main because the idiot trollers far outweigh any valuable opinion.
Old 09-18-2007, 09:20 PM   #4
mlh1981
Reds/Bengals/Cavs

mlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCDrivesAPorscheToWork
i actually only post on the Nets forum.

I make it an issue to seldom post on Off the Court or Main because the idiot trollers far outweigh any valuable opinion.

But you are hurting your posts per day average in the process. That's important stuff.........

Don't let the ****** keep you down, um, dawg. Just put the idiots on your ignore list
mlh1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 09:25 PM   #5
VCDrivesAPorscheToWork
Very good NBA starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlh1981
But you are hurting your posts per day average in the process. That's important stuff.........

Don't let the ****** keep you down, um, dawg. Just put the idiots on your ignore list

meh now that full time work has started, ive been tryin to work hard to impress my supervisor and get some recognition from the big boss... while also trying to outwit the people who have already worked at the firm for a while who hate me because I am actually showing progress as a rookie.

plus all the social functions and stress related crap of being a full fledged adult in the real world.

therefore I have less time to post on ISH. plus my new workplace has a firewall against ISH so.... yeah... in the past I would post on ISH all day at work
Old 09-18-2007, 09:30 PM   #6
mlh1981
Reds/Bengals/Cavs

mlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCDrivesAPorscheToWork
meh now that full time work has started, ive been tryin to work hard to impress my supervisor and get some recognition from the big boss... while also trying to outwit the people who have already worked at the firm for a while who hate me because I am actually showing progress as a rookie.

plus all the social functions and stress related crap of being a full fledged adult in the real world.

therefore I have less time to post on ISH. plus my new workplace has a firewall against ISH so.... yeah... in the past I would post on ISH all day at work

Sounds like you have your priorities straight. Posting on ISH should be a hobby, not an obsession............

Sucks about the firewall, though
mlh1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 09:38 PM   #7
Doomsday Dallas
we fight as MAVERICKS!

Doomsday Dallas has an incredible reputation hereDoomsday Dallas has an incredible reputation hereDoomsday Dallas has an incredible reputation hereDoomsday Dallas has an incredible reputation hereDoomsday Dallas has an incredible reputation hereDoomsday Dallas has an incredible reputation hereDoomsday Dallas has an incredible reputation here

I don't understand what you're saying here? Are you a workaholic or
an alcoholic? Or both?

Look man, you work hard to play hard.

Some nights you have to remind yourself not to drink so much
So you can enjoy the moment you're having inside that piece of @ss.

I look back at 2006, and nobody on this forum had as much fun as
I did that year... But I drank too much and it's kind of a blur now.
Is this the paradox you speak of?
Doomsday Dallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 08:14 AM   #8
Sagat
Tiger! Tiger!

Sagat has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Basketball#1

You'd be amazed at how many on this message board only post in the OTC forum. In fact, some of the best posters on this site primarily post in here.

The NBA is going downhill, and has been on the decline for going on 10+ years now. The additions of LeBron, Wade, etc... has helped fuel the NBA once again, but the NBA will never rule again like it did during the Bird / Jordan - Shaq / Kobe era.

Until the NBA is back on NBC (duh-da-dunna-da-duh-da-na) I will never be an avid NBA fan again.

The NFL is where it's at.
Sagat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 10:17 AM   #9
VCDrivesAPorscheToWork
Very good NBA starter

I highly doubt ISH is a microcosm of the popularity decline of the NBA.

no many posters are just teenagers who really have no solid knowledge about the game of basketball, post vapid one liners, get flamed, then feel embarassed so hide on the off the court.
Old 09-19-2007, 01:07 PM   #10
geeWiz15
Quality Posts™

geeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation here

this is a very interesting question that, oddly enough, first confronted me when I first saw "Memento." all that movie was to me was a philosophical inquiry, and unfortunately I don't think a lot of people saw the same movie I did- all they came away with was "whoa, reverse order, black and white, surprise ending, very good, I'll promptly begin forgetting I ever saw it now."

but I'm leaning toward the idea that reality is created by what we think. if you think someone hates you, that changes your behavior to them, right? regardless whether or not they actually do. so if you THINK you're a workaholic, if the alternate life you lead is not in your consciousness, it doesn't exist.

people with DID (multiple personalities) don't realize their other personalities exist until someone makes them confront them. so while they're in one identity, that identity doesn't know about the others, and when they switch, it's a completely different consciousness. then when they return to their original identity, all they got is a blackout... the time they spent assuming a different identity doesn't exist in their consciousness.

so I'd equate your scenario to that. if you think you're a workaholic, and that's all that's present in your consciousness, then that's what you are. your party animal side is irrelevant.

although with all that great sex it wouldn't be that bad because you'd be pretty loose while you were working. that's biological, whether you think you just had some killer mindblowing sex or not, if you did, it releases a lot of endorphins into your body which make you feel good. however with DID, physical problems have been know to appear and disappear, so maybe the endorphins become ignored or just disappear altogether. dunno, that's interesting though. good post.

Last edited by geeWiz15 : 09-19-2007 at 01:10 PM.
geeWiz15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 01:34 PM   #11
reppy
Apparently likes anime

reppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation here

How is this considered a paradox? Hey, here's one..

What if you had the biggest dick in the world, but you were only attracted to farm animals. Would it be worth it?
reppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 01:37 PM   #12
geeWiz15
Quality Posts™

geeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation here

if you had the biggest dick in the world it wouldn't fit so it'd be irrelevant.

Quote:
How is this considered a paradox?
I would have pointed out that it's not a paradox just because VCDrivesMeUpaWall and I like pointing out how empty his big words are, but the topic interested me so I just ignored it.
geeWiz15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 01:45 PM   #13
reppy
Apparently likes anime

reppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeWiz15
if you had the biggest dick in the world it wouldn't fit so it'd be irrelevant.

Mr. Ed disagrees.

OK, fine.. here's another "paradox": what if you could be the smartest person in the world, bang the most chicks, have the biggest dick, the coolest car, etc.. but you could never post about it on InsideHoops to let everyone know. Would it be worth it?!
reppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 01:47 PM   #14
Sagat
Tiger! Tiger!

Sagat has an OK reputation so far

Here's a bewildering paradox.

What if the girl of your dreams wanted to sit on your face; problem is, this is actually a nightmare, because as she sits on your face, nothing happens, your head is decapitated, you're lifeless.

Talk about irony.
Sagat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 01:51 PM   #15
VCDrivesAPorscheToWork
Very good NBA starter

okay I am not sure what this is.

I guess everyone is right, this really isn't a paradox by definition of a statement with two premises that contradict each other, but it's just a very confusing sequence of events.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: