Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 09-19-2007, 01:54 PM   #16
VCDrivesAPorscheToWork
Very good NBA starter

VCDrivesAPorscheToWork is considered somewhat coolVCDrivesAPorscheToWork is considered somewhat coolVCDrivesAPorscheToWork is considered somewhat cool
Default Re: Will the Red Sox choke the AL East?

the thing with Joba is, he relies solely on two pitches.

a 95+ fast ball and a slider that can reach 88-90

basically throw those and keep the hitter guessing.

with such a fundamentally strong one two punch, it's easy to have confidence as a one inning guy. but yeah pressure in the playoffs. big deal especially since Joe Torre has not put Joba into any pressure situations so far (never insert him in the middle of an inning, take him out when the going gets rough, etc)
VCDrivesAPorscheToWork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 02:33 PM   #17
mlh1981
Reds/Bengals/Cavs

mlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

What do the Yankees have to do to avoid wholesale changes this offseason? Win the World Series, or just advance to a certain point? I mean, that's a lot of pressure to have to play under. I understand that the Yankees have talent, experience, etc. However, it doesn't look like they are having any fun. Guys seem really tense, and when the spotlight is the brighest, I would only put my faith in a few of those guys stepping up. Yeah, they smile for the cameras and such and put up happy fronts, but that HAS to be one tense clubhouse with the expectations and the superstars that reside there
mlh1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 02:40 PM   #18
Randy
NBA sixth man of the year

Randy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRandy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRandy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRandy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRandy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRandy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRandy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRandy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRandy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

I hate the Red Sox. After they won the WS about 98% of my friends were suddenly lifetime Sox fans, they just decided to keep their fandom in the closet for 18 years

So now I root for the Yankees just to spite them.

Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 02:52 PM   #19
VCDrivesAPorscheToWork
Very good NBA starter

VCDrivesAPorscheToWork is considered somewhat coolVCDrivesAPorscheToWork is considered somewhat coolVCDrivesAPorscheToWork is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlh1981
What do the Yankees have to do to avoid wholesale changes this offseason? Win the World Series, or just advance to a certain point? I mean, that's a lot of pressure to have to play under. I understand that the Yankees have talent, experience, etc. However, it doesn't look like they are having any fun. Guys seem really tense, and when the spotlight is the brighest, I would only put my faith in a few of those guys stepping up. Yeah, they smile for the cameras and such and put up happy fronts, but that HAS to be one tense clubhouse with the expectations and the superstars that reside there

well i've never been in the clubhouse before, but I do watch the Yankees telecasts, and it seems everyone smiles on the bench and high fives each other and etc...

not sure how your statement about fun is founded in any way.

but yeah good point about having to win the world series to avoid major changes.

as for bridging to the Rivera, if Mussina really snaps out of his funk (in which he only threw three kinds of pitches, fast ball up, cutter down, and some kind of breaking ball) as he has in these starts against bad competition and then just be a 5-6 inning guy who gives up no more than 3 runs, then the Yankees could use him as a fourth starter and then try to convert Phil hughes and Ian Kennedy into playoff bullpen players
Old 09-19-2007, 03:09 PM   #20
mlh1981
Reds/Bengals/Cavs

mlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

ALl I know is, I wouldn't want to be in Brian Cashman's shoes. To be the GM of the New York Yankees may seem like the dream job of all MLB, but it's so pressure packed. You have the old man hovering around you, not so much physically anymore, but his presense is felt throughout that organization. They are always a 3-4 game losing streak from getting some sort of press release from Steinbrenner, not to mention the flaming that goes on in talk radio/newspapers, etc. That's why I question the level of "fun" the Yankees are having. Yeah, it may seem silly to think that professional athletes should worry about FUN, but it helps alleviate the pressure of going out there for 162and performing as the highest paid team in MLB. Winning is not merely an option, it's the ONLY CHOICE. Winning a World Series isn't a surprise or feeling of total relief. It's MANDATORY. Not only do you have the future of the team to think about (which they really need to, given how old most of the regulars are), Cashman has to keep the present cupboard loaded. I'll give him credit. In years past, he might've traded Chamberlain midseason for a Matt Morris. The Yankees seem to be avoiding those sort of trades anymore, which is a credit to him. It will be interesting to see if that sort of forward thinking pays off in the present, or if the benefits will come in the future (which really isn't an option for Joe Torre these days--which is the difficult part about it all)

Last edited by mlh1981 : 09-19-2007 at 03:12 PM.
mlh1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 04:10 PM   #21
Real Men Wear Green
Don't panic.

Real Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

The whole team isn't choking, it's really just GagMe. He was a bad investment, should have kept Gabbard, but it's time to move on. Francona should just give up on the guy, some players can't handle the pressure of playing in Boston.
Real Men Wear Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 04:21 PM   #22
VCDrivesAPorscheToWork
Very good NBA starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Real Men Wear Green
The whole team isn't choking, it's really just GagMe. He was a bad investment, should have kept Gabbard, but it's time to move on. Francona should just give up on the guy, some players can't handle the pressure of playing in Boston.

it's perfectly understandable that the Japanese guys are getting tired (longer MLB season) and that Schilling may still not have rounded back to 100% after the surgery and that Ramirez is out, and that Youkilis keeps getting beat up at the plate and Ortiz has some nagging injuries.

and yes Gagne has been responisble for at least 4 games lost in the lead, but still... the W-L record is still a team thing.

not to say Red Sox suck, they obviously don't. this is just a bad turn of events for them
Old 09-19-2007, 04:34 PM   #23
Tarik One
NBA rookie of the year

Tarik One is considered somewhat coolTarik One is considered somewhat cool

I was pulling for the Red Sox against the Yankees in '04. Now I am pulling for the Yankees. Anyone else feel the same way?
Tarik One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 05:10 PM   #24
Qwyjibo
Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

Qwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Let's not forget the great hitting but lazy $20 million bum the Red Sox have rotting on the bench. Isn't he already hitting bombs in practice? (I think I read somewhere)
Qwyjibo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 05:14 PM   #25
Boogaloo
National High School Star

Boogaloo has decent reputationBoogaloo has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwyjibo
Let's not forget the great hitting but lazy $20 million bum the Red Sox have rotting on the bench. Isn't he already hitting bombs in practice? (I think I read somewhere)

Wooops for a sec there I thought u meant Wells or Glaus
Boogaloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 09:23 PM   #26
VCDrivesAPorscheToWork
Very good NBA starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwyjibo

whereas David Ortiz is a really likable persona, Manny Ramirez just has that very arrogant look perpetually, and the fact that he fashions himself to be a Latin King is just... makes him not very likable
Old 09-19-2007, 09:56 PM   #27
The Italian
Defense? Whats that?

The Italian is a pretty well-respected posterThe Italian is a pretty well-respected posterThe Italian is a pretty well-respected posterThe Italian is a pretty well-respected poster

Well the Sox probably just lost another game. Russ Adams just hit a grand slam in the bottom of the 8th to give the Jays a 5 run lead.
The Italian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 09:58 PM   #28
Boogaloo

Always liked Russ. Russ adams is a good hitter. too bad he cant field.
Old 09-19-2007, 09:59 PM   #29
Qwyjibo
Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

Qwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Loved that grand slam. This season may have sucked for us Jays fans but them partially screwing it up for the Red Sox makes me feel quite happy.

It's a shame the Tigers completely fell off and the Red Sox will get in the playoffs regardless if they choke the division or not.
Qwyjibo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 10:00 PM   #30
Boogaloo

I agree Qwyjibo. I despise BOSOX and their accents.:
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: