Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 09-23-2007, 02:48 PM   #16
VCMVP1551
NBA sixth man of the year

VCMVP1551 is popular on this boardVCMVP1551 is popular on this boardVCMVP1551 is popular on this boardVCMVP1551 is popular on this board
Default Re: Official #90 NBA Player Of All Time According To ISH

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.Kizzle
McGinnis actually played in the ABA when it was a tough league. Dr. J, Gervin, Moses Malone, Rick Barry, Gilmore, Marvin Barnes, Daniels were all in the ABA at this time. He won an MVP in the league also.

And if you don't wanna give credit to the ABA, in the NBA, he was no slouch either. All-NBA First team his first season in the league, his second season, All-NBA 2nd and helped the 6ers to the Finals. He was a better scorer then Penny in the NBA, better rebounder and for PF, was a great passer and a 3 Time NBA All-Star

I give credit to the ABA just it wasn't as good as the NBA...not even close. Penny in his prime averaged over 20 ppg on something like 13 FGA per game. Penny could have easily been one of the top scorers if he wanted. He was one of the few guards to average over 20 ppg while shooting over 50%.
VCMVP1551 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 04:49 PM   #17
D-Fence
Great young streetballer

D-Fence has decent reputation

George McGinnis is a good selection here. He was definetly better than Connie Hawkins and Dan Issel. In the 1974-75 ABA season, when he was co-MVP with Julius Erving, he led the Indiana Pacers to a winning record and the Finals after the team had lost much of its core by giving away Mel Daniels, Roger Brown, and Freddie Lewis (for financial reasons, I think). He's often compared to Karl Malone, for his exceptional strength and quickness. Even in the NBA, for 4 seasons, he was more than a 20/10 power foward.

When McGinnis left Indiana, they became a losing team, and when he joined the Philadelphia 76ers, who were already a losing team, he made them a winning team. Then, as L.Kizzle mentions, when Julius Erving joined the team, they made it to the NBA Finals. McGinnis did play awful in the 1977 Finals, though, against Portland and a solid defensive middle of Bill Walton and Maurice Lucas. On the other hand, he was good when he was a member of 2 ABA championship teams and made the Finals another time.

Yet, I'm staying with Mel Daniels for this vote; without him, McGinnis wouldn't have been a professional basketball champion. In McGinnis' rookie ABA season, he joined an Indiana Pacers team that had already won an ABA championship and been to the Finals twice and that had already had season records of 59-25 and 58-26 (considerably better than the regular-season records they had with McGinnis). Moreover, the Philadelphia 76ers did go on to win an NBA championship and were otherwise consistent winners without McGinnis. McGinnis also seems to have had a negative effect on the Denver Nuggets.

I also feel inclined to vote for Bob Davies. We're almost done with this list, and he definetly deserves a spot. He was easily the second best point guard in the NBA after Bob Cousy during his time.

I'd maybe also finish this list out with these players:
Jim Pollard and Vern Mikkelson, who co-starred with George Mikan on the first NBA dynasty, the Minneapolis Lakers.

Tommy Heinsohn, an oft neglected, but important component of the Russell-led Celtics dynasty.

Maybe one of the two or both Maurice Cheeks and Bobby Jones, who were important when the 76ers won and were competing for an NBA championship. Both were not huge scorers, but they were especially great defenders.

Quite a few other players would have good arguments. Looking at L.Kizzle's "Players to Consider" list, I wouldn't put Cliff Hagan, Penny Hardaway, Fat Lever, Easy Ed, Westphal, nor probably Gus Johnson and Marques Johnson on this list. There might be a few others not yet mentioned but worth considering--maybe Bob Dandridge, Jack Sikma, or Bill Laimbeer, for example.

All of this Penny Hardaway talk I think is especially undeserved. Anyone know of Ralph Sampson? I think he was better, but he probably shouldn't make this list either for similar reasons.

Anyhow, again, I vote for Mel Daniels.
D-Fence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 04:59 PM   #18
RagingBull33
I pooped a hammer.

RagingBull33 has decent reputationRagingBull33 has decent reputation

I'm going with LBJ.
RagingBull33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 05:24 PM   #19
KempSonics
Local High School Star

KempSonics has an OK reputation so far

George McGinnis

Mel Daniels on deck
KempSonics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 06:20 PM   #20
YAWN
NBA All-star

YAWN is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterYAWN is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterYAWN is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterYAWN is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterYAWN is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterYAWN is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterYAWN is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterYAWN is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterYAWN is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterYAWN is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

i could of sworn i voted for horace grant last time.

im gonna go with Glen Rice this time.

Last edited by YAWN : 09-23-2007 at 06:22 PM.
YAWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 06:27 PM   #21
XxNeXuSxX
The Master Debater

XxNeXuSxX has an incredible reputation hereXxNeXuSxX has an incredible reputation hereXxNeXuSxX has an incredible reputation hereXxNeXuSxX has an incredible reputation hereXxNeXuSxX has an incredible reputation hereXxNeXuSxX has an incredible reputation hereXxNeXuSxX has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Fence
George McGinnis is a good selection here. He was definetly better than Connie Hawkins and Dan Issel. In the 1974-75 ABA season, when he was co-MVP with Julius Erving, he led the Indiana Pacers to a winning record and the Finals after the team had lost much of its core by giving away Mel Daniels, Roger Brown, and Freddie Lewis (for financial reasons, I think). He's often compared to Karl Malone, for his exceptional strength and quickness. Even in the NBA, for 4 seasons, he was more than a 20/10 power foward.

When McGinnis left Indiana, they became a losing team, and when he joined the Philadelphia 76ers, who were already a losing team, he made them a winning team. Then, as L.Kizzle mentions, when Julius Erving joined the team, they made it to the NBA Finals. McGinnis did play awful in the 1977 Finals, though, against Portland and a solid defensive middle of Bill Walton and Maurice Lucas. On the other hand, he was good when he was a member of 2 ABA championship teams and made the Finals another time.

Yet, I'm staying with Mel Daniels for this vote; without him, McGinnis wouldn't have been a professional basketball champion. In McGinnis' rookie ABA season, he joined an Indiana Pacers team that had already won an ABA championship and been to the Finals twice and that had already had season records of 59-25 and 58-26 (considerably better than the regular-season records they had with McGinnis). Moreover, the Philadelphia 76ers did go on to win an NBA championship and were otherwise consistent winners without McGinnis. McGinnis also seems to have had a negative effect on the Denver Nuggets.

I also feel inclined to vote for Bob Davies. We're almost done with this list, and he definetly deserves a spot. He was easily the second best point guard in the NBA after Bob Cousy during his time.

I'd maybe also finish this list out with these players:
Jim Pollard and Vern Mikkelson, who co-starred with George Mikan on the first NBA dynasty, the Minneapolis Lakers.

Tommy Heinsohn, an oft neglected, but important component of the Russell-led Celtics dynasty.

Maybe one of the two or both Maurice Cheeks and Bobby Jones, who were important when the 76ers won and were competing for an NBA championship. Both were not huge scorers, but they were especially great defenders.

Quite a few other players would have good arguments. Looking at L.Kizzle's "Players to Consider" list, I wouldn't put Cliff Hagan, Penny Hardaway, Fat Lever, Easy Ed, Westphal, nor probably Gus Johnson and Marques Johnson on this list. There might be a few others not yet mentioned but worth considering--maybe Bob Dandridge, Jack Sikma, or Bill Laimbeer, for example.

All of this Penny Hardaway talk I think is especially undeserved. Anyone know of Ralph Sampson? I think he was better, but he probably shouldn't make this list either for similar reasons.

Anyhow, again, I vote for Mel Daniels.

I'm impressed. I'll vote Mel Daniels.
XxNeXuSxX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 06:48 PM   #22
LBJ 4 MVP
Sit yo ass down!

LBJ 4 MVP is a pretty well-respected posterLBJ 4 MVP is a pretty well-respected posterLBJ 4 MVP is a pretty well-respected poster

Mcginnis.
LBJ 4 MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 06:49 PM   #23
Mr_Basketball#1
McCants is Available!!

Mr_Basketball#1 has an incredible reputation hereMr_Basketball#1 has an incredible reputation hereMr_Basketball#1 has an incredible reputation hereMr_Basketball#1 has an incredible reputation hereMr_Basketball#1 has an incredible reputation hereMr_Basketball#1 has an incredible reputation hereMr_Basketball#1 has an incredible reputation here

What happened to all the Mark Price voters???
Mr_Basketball#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 08:20 PM   #24
dawsey6
/thread

dawsey6 has decent reputationdawsey6 has decent reputation

Tim Hardaway is better than Shawn Kemp.

Put Tim up there.
dawsey6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 10:07 PM   #25
haji_d_robertas
Good High School Starter

haji_d_robertas has an OK reputation so far

Mark Price. Enough with the big men.
haji_d_robertas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 10:38 PM   #26
Fab17
I airball my layups

Fab17 has an OK reputation so far

Mark Price
Fab17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 11:00 PM   #27
FashionIssues
Smooth Operator

FashionIssues is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterFashionIssues is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterFashionIssues is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterFashionIssues is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterFashionIssues is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterFashionIssues is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterFashionIssues is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterFashionIssues is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterFashionIssues is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterFashionIssues is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterFashionIssues is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

mark price
FashionIssues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 11:16 PM   #28
NastaMaverick
College superstar

NastaMaverick is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNastaMaverick is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNastaMaverick is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNastaMaverick is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNastaMaverick is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNastaMaverick is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNastaMaverick is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNastaMaverick is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNastaMaverick is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNastaMaverick is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Tayshaun Prince
NastaMaverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 11:22 PM   #29
DieHardBullsFan
Da Bulls! Da Bears!

DieHardBullsFan has an OK reputation so far

dude Shawn Kemp does not belong on this list period.....

Id vote for Luol Deng
DieHardBullsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 11:23 PM   #30
DieHardBullsFan
Da Bulls! Da Bears!

DieHardBullsFan has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawsey6
Tim Hardaway is better than Shawn Kemp.

Put Tim up there.

I agree....he was the first to have the "Killer Crossover" before Iverson....and he was one of the top point guards in the league for at least 6 to 7 years untill injuries took him out...
DieHardBullsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: