Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 09-23-2007, 02:00 AM   #1
Shep
Decent college freshman

Shep is considered somewhat coolShep is considered somewhat coolShep is considered somewhat cool
Default 80s: Top 6 Players at each Position

Center
1. Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
2. Hakeem Olajuwon
3. Moses Malone
4. Robert Parish
5. Jack Sikma
6. Artis Gilmore

honorable mention: Mark Eaton

Power Forward
1. Charles Barkley
2. Alex English
3. Kevin McHale
4. Terry Cummings
5. Karl Malone
6. Tom Chambers

honorable mention: Elvin Hayes

Small Forward
1. Larry Bird
2. Dominique Wilkins
3. Larry Nance
4. James Worthy
5. Marques Johnson
6. Mark Aguirre

honorable mention: Adrian Dantley

Shooting Guard
1. Michael Jordan
2. Julius Erving
3. Clyde Drexler
4. George Gervin
5. Sidney Moncrief
6. Dennis Johnson

honorable mention: Byron Scott

Point Guard
1. Magic Johnson
2. Isiah Thomas
3. Fat Lever
4. Michael Ray Richardson
5. Gus Williams
6. John Stockton

honorable mention: Maurice Cheeks

Overall
1. Larry Bird
2. Magic Johnson
3. Michael Jordan
4. Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
5. Julius Erving
6. Hakeem Olajuwon

honorable mention: Moses Malone

Last edited by Shep : 09-23-2007 at 02:47 AM.
Shep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 02:08 AM   #2
JtotheIzzo
Admlnlstrator

JtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: 80s: Top 6 Players at each Position

Does Elvin Hayes get honorably mentioned because of his play in the 70's?

You have Worthy, waaaaaay too low
JtotheIzzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 02:11 AM   #3
dejordan
Mars Blackmon Lives!

dejordan has an OK reputation so far

i like what i'm seeing here.

i'd probably put moses ahead of hakeem since he won a finals mvp and 2 regular season mvps in the 80s. and though he didn't have a whole lot of post season success in the 80s, ewing deserves to be on the list. he certainly was better than eaton.

karl probably deserves to be in front of cummings.

bernard king deserves to be on the sf list somewhere imo.

i think dr. j played the majority of his minutes as an sf rather than an sg.

imo you're underrating stockton a little bit too. i think he set a few single season assist records in the 80s, and his performance against the lakers in 88 was incredible. he dissected their d to take them to 7 games. imo he ought to be ahead of lever, though i like seeing fat listed here because he's often forgotten.
dejordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 02:12 AM   #4
L.Kizzle
ISH's Negro Historian

L.Kizzle has a terrific reputationL.Kizzle has a terrific reputationL.Kizzle has a terrific reputationL.Kizzle has a terrific reputationL.Kizzle has a terrific reputation

English should be on the SF list as should AD and Bernard King, no way Larry Nance is better then them (I know they were injured often)
L.Kizzle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 02:14 AM   #5
JtotheIzzo
Admlnlstrator

JtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Maurice Cheeks at PG?????

Big omission. I suggest you fix it or your list is worthless.
Old 09-23-2007, 02:46 AM   #6
Shep
Decent college freshman

Shep is considered somewhat coolShep is considered somewhat coolShep is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Does Elvin Hayes get honorably mentioned because of his play in the 70's?
what? i'm talking about the 80s here, like the topic states. elvin made the honorable mention list because of what he did in the 80s
Quote:
You have Worthy, waaaaaay too low

Quote:
i'd probably put moses ahead of hakeem since he won a finals mvp and 2 regular season mvps in the 80s.
malone deserved 1 of those regular season mvp's. malone had a poor attitude, was a black hole on offense, and was half the defensive player olajuwon was. olajuwon gets the #2
Quote:
and though he didn't have a whole lot of post season success in the 80s, ewing deserves to be on the list. he certainly was better than eaton
ewing only had 2 good years, and his teams sucked. meanwhile eaton was probably the most feared defensive big in the 80s and shattered shot blocking records, once averaging an astonishing 5.56bpg in 1985, on top of being one of the games best rebounders. eaton was a 2 time defensive player of the year
Quote:
karl probably deserves to be in front of cummings.
cummings consistency is what got him to #4. malone's best year ('89) was better than cummings' best year ('85), but cummings had alot of seasons around that mark, where malone only started flourishing in '88
Quote:
bernard king deserves to be on the sf list somewhere imo.
nope. he was either injured, or his teams sucked, or both
Quote:
i think dr. j played the majority of his minutes as an sf rather than an sg.
he split his time between the two positions. but his best years were at shooting guard ('80, '81)
Quote:
imo you're underrating stockton a little bit too. i think he set a few single season assist records in the 80s, and his performance against the lakers in 88 was incredible. he dissected their d to take them to 7 games. imo he ought to be ahead of lever, though i like seeing fat listed here because he's often forgotten.
stockton, much like malone, only started to flourish in '88 and '89, besides these two years he was a bench player
Quote:
English should be on the SF list
his best years were at pf, i'm talking about '82 '83 and '84. majority line up on those nuggets were issell, english, vandeweghe, dunn, and mckinney (williams in '84)
Quote:
as should AD and Bernard King, no way Larry Nance is better then them (I know they were injured often)
injured + team suckage = not highly regarded. nance was a much better all round player
Quote:
Maurice Cheeks at PG?????

Big omission
yeh, you're right, cheeks deserves that honorable mention spot over nixon
Old 09-23-2007, 02:53 AM   #7
Alien Queen
Banned

Alien Queen has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shep
Overall

3. Michael Jordan
RRRRRAAHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!
Alien Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 03:07 AM   #8
JtotheIzzo
Admlnlstrator

Cheeks should be third or fourth on your list.

Worthy should be second or third, (although Finals MVP may not mean very much to you when stacked up against the likes of Larry Nance,lol).

Elvin Hayes retired after the 83-84 season and he had a pathetic year that year, so basically you put him up there for three seasons in the twilight of his career. Not acceptable Good Sheppard.
Old 09-23-2007, 04:01 AM   #9
Chalkmaze
Good college starter

Chalkmaze has decent reputationChalkmaze has decent reputation

Larry Nance was a Power Forward I thought...

Last edited by Chalkmaze : 09-23-2007 at 04:03 AM.
Chalkmaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 06:50 AM   #10
Shep
Decent college freshman

Quote:
Cheeks should be third or fourth on your list.
you obviously didn't watch the 80s, or you weren't born yet. fat lever and michael ray richardson were superstars, and were on another level to cheeks. gus williams was also better than him. stockton's peak years were the difference
Quote:
Worthy should be second or third, (although Finals MVP may not mean very much to you when stacked up against the likes of Larry Nance,lol).
worthy better than wilkins? worthy better than nance? worthy was lucky he played with 2 of the top 4 players of the decade. nance, however, was the better all round player: better scorer, better rebounder, better passer, better shot blocker, and better defender.
Quote:
Elvin Hayes retired after the 83-84 season and he had a pathetic year that year, so basically you put him up there for three seasons in the twilight of his career. Not acceptable Good Sheppard.
what about 1980? second best power forward in the nba. 1981? third best power forward. name a power forward that deserves an honorable mention over hayes
Quote:
Larry Nance was a Power Forward I thought...
he was in the 90s, he was a small forward in the 80s
Old 09-23-2007, 07:00 AM   #11
Manute for Ever!
Bol'd over

Manute for Ever! is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterManute for Ever! is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterManute for Ever! is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterManute for Ever! is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterManute for Ever! is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterManute for Ever! is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterManute for Ever! is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterManute for Ever! is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterManute for Ever! is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterManute for Ever! is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterManute for Ever! is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

I think Alien Queen just set a new record, banned after seven post! BULLS made it to 190 before his banning
Manute for Ever! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 07:35 AM   #12
lovethetriangle
LAKER FAN FOR LIFE

lovethetriangle has an incredible reputation herelovethetriangle has an incredible reputation herelovethetriangle has an incredible reputation herelovethetriangle has an incredible reputation herelovethetriangle has an incredible reputation herelovethetriangle has an incredible reputation here

Worthy over Nash, anyday.

And yes, I watched both religiously.

Cheeks and Gus Williams toss up but no way he's at the caliber of FAT and MRR.
lovethetriangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 01:44 PM   #13
VCMVP1551
NBA sixth man of the year

VCMVP1551 is popular on this boardVCMVP1551 is popular on this boardVCMVP1551 is popular on this boardVCMVP1551 is popular on this board

Dr. J is a SF, you forgot Ewing, DJ ws a PG...I really don't have the time to list everything wrong with your pathetic list.
VCMVP1551 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 02:22 PM   #14
RainierBeachPoet
NEVER forget da SONICS

RainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

a couple of points:

gus williams was a shooting guard and i am a huge fan

but i would probably put chris mullin over gus
RainierBeachPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 05:08 PM   #15
otmtheshank
Good High School Starter

otmtheshank has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCMVP1551
Dr. J is a SF, you forgot Ewing, DJ ws a PG...I really don't have the time to list everything wrong with your pathetic list.

DJ only played the point for half the decade though. He played shooting guard for the first four years of the decade with the Sonics/Suns, and during his first year in Boston when Gerald was running the point. He did play point guard for the Celtics for the rest of the 80's, so you can count him at either position really.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainierBeachPoet
a couple of points:

gus williams was a shooting guard and i am a huge fan

but i would probably put chris mullin over gus

Chris only played four seasons in the 80's, and only had 1/2 great season(s). Gus played 3 more years in the decade than Chris did, and had a couple top ten finishes in MVP voting, along with an All-NBA First Team. The majority of Mullin's prime was spent in the 90's, so I guess you got to go with Gus if we're talking strictly the 80's.
otmtheshank is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: