Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 09-24-2007, 02:40 PM   #1
ChuckOakley
NBA lottery pick

ChuckOakley is popular on this boardChuckOakley is popular on this boardChuckOakley is popular on this boardChuckOakley is popular on this boardChuckOakley is popular on this board
Default Monster LAL/MEM/NJ/PHO Trade

What teams would do this?
Who wouldn't?

I'm bored at work, but not bored enough to do the breakdown of the pros and cons for each team. Can't really picture LA doing this, unless Kobe really wants to go play for Jerry West (if he's even the GM still)

MEMPHIS
trades
Gasol
Gay
Navarro
Lowry
Miller
Stoudamire
Cardinal
2 #1

receives
Kobe
VRad
Jefferson
Krstic
Banks

roster:
Conley / Banks
Bryant / Kinsey
Jefferson / VRad
Warrick / Swift
Krstic / Darko

LAL
trades
Kobe
V-Rad

receives
Marion
Gay
Lowry
Boki
2 MEM #1

roster:
Crittenton / Lowry / Farmar
Gay / Fisher / Vujavic
Odom / Walton / Boki
Marion / Cook / Turiaf
Bynum / Brown / Mihm

NJ
trades
RJ
Krstic
Boki
Magloire
Ilic

receives
Gasol
Cardinal
Navarro

roster:
Kidd / M.Williams
Navarro / Houston / Hite
Carter / Wright
Gasol / M. Allen / Cardinal
Collins / Boone / S.Williams

PHEONIX
trades
Marion
Banks

receives
Miller
Stoudamire
Magloire
Ilic
MEM #2

roster:
Nash / Stoudamire / Stawberry
Bell / Barbosa / Tucker
Miller / Hill / Piatkowski
Stoudamire / Diaw
Magloire / Marks / Ilic

Last edited by ChuckOakley : 09-24-2007 at 06:03 PM.
ChuckOakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 02:56 PM   #2
Sharas
Great college starter

Sharas is considered somewhat coolSharas is considered somewhat coolSharas is considered somewhat cool
Default Re: Monster LAL/MEM/NJ/PHO Trade

nets reportedly refused to trade krstic and RJ for jermaine o'neal. why would they add magloire and boki for a comparable player in gasol, scrub with one of worst contracts in league in cardinal and unproven euro player in navarro?
Sharas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 03:03 PM   #3
ChuckOakley
NBA lottery pick

ChuckOakley is popular on this boardChuckOakley is popular on this boardChuckOakley is popular on this boardChuckOakley is popular on this boardChuckOakley is popular on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharas
nets reportedly refused to trade krstic and RJ for jermaine o'neal. why would they add magloire and boki for a comparable player in gasol, scrub with one of worst contracts in league in cardinal and unproven euro player in navarro?

The rumour was Marcus Williams was the deal-breaker the Nets did not want to include. I'm a Nets fan, and while the trade is a bit much, I'd like to take a risk probably closer to the all-star break if the team does not look like a contender. Besides, Magloire and Boki are both expirers and probably not in the Nets' long-term plans. In fact they have to be very careful with Krstic, since they will be unlikely able to afford him next season, given that 55 Million is going to Kidd, Carter, RJ and Collins next year alone.. unless they clear salary.
Old 09-24-2007, 03:45 PM   #4
dhenk
Why do you care?

dhenk has an OK reputation so far

As Mitch Kupchak always says: "Yeah, whatever..."
dhenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 04:33 PM   #5
kumquat
College superstar

kumquat is considered somewhat coolkumquat is considered somewhat coolkumquat is considered somewhat cool

I doubt that kobe would agree to a trade that has him going to memphis.
kumquat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 04:35 PM   #6
Sharas
Great college starter

Sharas is considered somewhat coolSharas is considered somewhat coolSharas is considered somewhat cool

yes, kobe probably wouldn't like it for marketing reasons, but that team is way better than current lakers
Sharas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 04:55 PM   #7
saKf
Roy = my new fave.

saKf is a pretty well-respected postersaKf is a pretty well-respected postersaKf is a pretty well-respected postersaKf is a pretty well-respected poster

Only Memphis says "yes" to this trade.
saKf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 05:12 PM   #8
JalenRawley
Local High School Star

JalenRawley has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckOakley
What teams would do this?
Who wouldn't?

I'm bored at work, but not bored enough to do the breakdown of the pros and cons for each team. Can't really picture LA doing this, unless Kobe really wants to go play for Jerry West (if he's even the GM)

I generally avoid anything involving Kobe and trade ideas, but I just wanted to point out one little thing that might make ya recalculate and try again, but I'm not sure of it's validity.

I thought Ilic was bought out by the Nets? I remember reading something about it, and was a bit bummed that they didn't put more into that project. He and Krstic were close and with as well as Krstic was doing, it would've been a good support system for Ilic. But it was over a month or so ago where they were talking about buying him out so he could go back to Europe. Don't know what's happened since then, if it was just speculation, or what but just thought I'd mention it.
JalenRawley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 05:19 PM   #9
dejordan
Mars Blackmon Lives!

dejordan has an OK reputation so far

this is not precisely on topic, but i don't think it deserves its own thread, and both of these guys are listed here, anyway does anyone else think that ak for rj makes a lot of sense?

i feel like new jersey could really use the team and individual d that kristic brings as well as his board work (kidd is having to rebound too much). rj's scoring is helpful but tertiary to offense that carter and kidd generate and should fall even further with kristic and magloire on the team. ak also really played well with stockton, so it's not a leap to think he would fit in with kidd.

the jazz need athletic swingmen who can run, shoot, and defend. jefferson does two of those things very well and is a decent stand still shooter. he's a good soldier who knows how to play without the ball and doesn't worry about stats.

maybe there's something big i'm not seeing, but it seems like a move that addresses both teams' primary needs right now.
dejordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 05:21 PM   #10
StroShow4
Certified ISHiot.

StroShow4 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableStroShow4 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableStroShow4 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableStroShow4 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableStroShow4 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableStroShow4 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableStroShow4 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableStroShow4 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableStroShow4 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableStroShow4 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableStroShow4 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

stromile swift on the suns? chuckoakley, i like the way you think. :
StroShow4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 05:28 PM   #11
bleedinpurpleTwo
Another Laker Dynasty?

bleedinpurpleTwo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbleedinpurpleTwo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbleedinpurpleTwo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbleedinpurpleTwo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbleedinpurpleTwo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbleedinpurpleTwo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbleedinpurpleTwo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbleedinpurpleTwo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbleedinpurpleTwo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbleedinpurpleTwo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

excellent trade effort. I assume the math works?
bleedinpurpleTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 05:33 PM   #12
ChuckOakley
NBA lottery pick

OK- I revised it slightly, so Memphis gives up a little more, and gets a little less. NJ does not need to send them a #1, so Memphis ends up sending another #1 to LA.
Pheonix now gets Magloire instead of Swift, since he is an expirer, and perhaps more of the bruiser they need.. though Stro might have fit nicely.

As for Ilic (not that he's a deal breaker or anything), last I heard that haven't been able to reach a buy-out, though the team is wishing they could.
Old 09-24-2007, 05:35 PM   #13
ChuckOakley
NBA lottery pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedinpurpleTwo
excellent trade effort. I assume the math works?

Before the tweaks it did, and I'm going to assume it still does.
Old 09-24-2007, 05:42 PM   #14
ChuckOakley
NBA lottery pick

As for why each team does it:

Memphis - A huge risk, but the team could use a shake-up. Gasol and Navarro will probably have to be packaged together. Kobe instantly makes the team respectable, and they have the talent to make the trades happen. Given them a year and some FA signings and this team would look to be a force in the West.

NJ - A good mid-season risk, assuming the team doesn't look legit. Gasol is the type of player they've longed for on the inside. Navarro could be a great fit next to Kidd and Carter given his shooting.

Pheonix - They finally get rid of Marion and his ego, as well as the mistake they made in signing Banks. They get Nash a decent back-up, Mike Miller would fit well in the system and Magloire adds much needed toughness and rebounding. They also get a project in Ilic and a 2nd rounder.

LAL - If they have to trade Kobe (much like they had to trade Shaq), they get a better deal for Kobe than for Shaq. They would have tons of players and talent at every position, along with some expirers, and one less bad contract in VRad.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: