Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > New York Knicks Forum

New York Knicks Forum New York Knicks forum - NY Knicks message board

Old 09-27-2007, 11:30 AM   #1
ALBballer
Religion? LOL? WTF?

ALBballer has an incredible reputation hereALBballer has an incredible reputation hereALBballer has an incredible reputation hereALBballer has an incredible reputation hereALBballer has an incredible reputation hereALBballer has an incredible reputation hereALBballer has an incredible reputation hereALBballer has an incredible reputation here
Default Thoughts on Marion?

Now Marion is a player I wouldn't mind if the Knicks got, unlike Artest. He could be a good help side defender, block some shots, get garbage points and rebounds. He could basically do what David Lee did last year, and then a lot more.

His ego seems like a problem, but in NY he would get recognition, for better or worst.

And we have the expirers (Jones, Dickau, and Rose has 2 years iirc) and the knicks have the young players to offer that could fit that system (Lee, Balkman, Chandler, Morris.)

BTW, does anyone know the relationship between Marion and Marbury? Good, bad, average?
ALBballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 12:41 PM   #2
knickscity
Knicks Board Moderator

knickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Thoughts on Marion?

Marion's only thing he wants to be the man. If he were in NY, he wouldn't be.

But his 20/10/4/2/2. You can count them.

I lnow he played well with Marbury.

Don't know per se about their relationship as how they got along though.
knickscity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 01:32 PM   #3
Da KO King
NBA sixth man of the year

Da KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputation

As much as I like Shawn Marion I just don't like any of the deals the Knicks would have to put together to get him. The chances of acquiring him with a package including Jamal Crawford, Jared Jefferies or Jerome James are slim (Jamal) to none (Jerome).

Without any of those players added to a package the Knicks would have to use all their expiring contracts plus all their high value (David Lee and Mardy Collins) youth to acquire Marion. While the short term effects of a Marion trade would be obviously postive the long term would not.

Plus trading for Marion might lead to the Knicks being unable to sign LeBron James in 2010.

All in all I'm in for getting Marion but only if the deal helps NY in both the long and short term.
Da KO King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 08:31 PM   #4
ALBballer
Religion? LOL? WTF?

ALBballer has an incredible reputation hereALBballer has an incredible reputation hereALBballer has an incredible reputation hereALBballer has an incredible reputation hereALBballer has an incredible reputation hereALBballer has an incredible reputation hereALBballer has an incredible reputation hereALBballer has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da KO King
As much as I like Shawn Marion I just don't like any of the deals the Knicks would have to put together to get him. The chances of acquiring him with a package including Jamal Crawford, Jared Jefferies or Jerome James are slim (Jamal) to none (Jerome).

Without any of those players added to a package the Knicks would have to use all their expiring contracts plus all their high value (David Lee and Mardy Collins) youth to acquire Marion. While the short term effects of a Marion trade would be obviously postive the long term would not.

Plus trading for Marion might lead to the Knicks being unable to sign LeBron James in 2010.

All in all I'm in for getting Marion but only if the deal helps NY in both the long and short term.

Lebron for 2010 :.

By the way, Marion has 2 years left on his contract, so if he doesn't work out, we can always sign your boy Oden in 2013.
Old 09-27-2007, 10:53 PM   #5
Da KO King

Da KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALBballer
Lebron for 2010 :.

By the way, Marion has 2 years left on his contract, so if he doesn't work out, we can always sign your boy Oden in 2013.
I didn't mean to make it seem as though signing LeBron James was a given.

Isiah Thomas's plan over the last few years has been to put the Knicks in position to sign LeBron once his deal was up in Cleveland.

Due to the structuring of his Nike contract LeBron would actually make more in New York than he would in Cleveland even if (as though they wouldn't ) the Cavs signed him to the maximum allowed salary.

That's why a significant number of the moves Thomas has made have been with players represented by people within LeBron's inner circle.
Old 09-27-2007, 11:43 PM   #6
ALBballer
Religion? LOL? WTF?

Lebron is a real long shot. Besides you still have these contracts:

Jeffries- 5 million
Crawford- 8 million
Randolph- 13 million
(And that's current salaries without the increase)

Not to mention re-signing David Lee, Balkman, and Curry. And that's also assuming we don't sign any players within this period or trade for any. And incoming rookies will add some more salaries.

It's not that I don't endorse that idea, but if we're going to really attempt to get James in 2010, let's not due a half-ass job. Lets keep contracts where they should be, not sign anymore ridciously high amount of players and stock pile on youth so they will be developed when Lebron comes.

Maybe even Wade, Carmelo, or Bosh would be other options (I think they all signed similar contracts, no?) But I really don't think Isiah or the Knicks are thinking next year, let alone 2010.
Old 09-28-2007, 08:24 AM   #7
Shark
I hit open layups

Shark has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Now Marion is a player I wouldn't mind if the Knicks got, unlike Artest.

Forget about Marion, the Knick has nothing that interests Phoenix, and Marion wouldn't probably be a good fit in NY anyway.
Shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 11:05 AM   #8
Da KO King

Quote:
Lebron is a real long shot....

It's not that I don't endorse that idea, but if we're going to really attempt to get James in 2010, let's not due a half-ass job. Lets keep contracts where they should be, not sign anymore ridciously high amount of players and stock pile on youth so they will be developed when Lebron comes.

Maybe even Wade, Carmelo, or Bosh would be other options (I think they all signed similar contracts, no?) But I really don't think Isiah or the Knicks are thinking next year, let alone 2010.
If you look at the Knicks salary situation over the next few years as long as they recognize what their ultimate goal is (free agents of 2010) having Zach Randolph and Eddy Curry signed might still leave them in position to sign a big-name player.

Honestly I think that Isiah's idea is have the money for LeBron James but if he doesn't come to the Apple give it to Dwyane Wade. By 2010 the Miami Heat will be in restructuring mode. My guess is Thomas feels the Knicks will on the right track by then so the offer of money and competing for the big game would be even to lure Wade to NYC.
Old 09-29-2007, 03:01 PM   #9
Moose

Would be nice if the Knicks get him but that's a very long-shot.

Something like this would be nice:

Richardson (played well with the suns during the 04-05 Season)
Jeffries (will help them on D)
Dickau (looks like a cheap version of Nash)
Jones (Would thrive in the Suns up-tempo system)

for

Marion (everything we been looking for)
Banks (would be a great 3rd pg option)

Our roster will be reduced to 15 as well.
Old 09-30-2007, 10:20 PM   #10
Big C
I brick open layups

Big C has an OK reputation so far

Marion is a good player. He can score, rebound and play defense. I highly doubt he wil get traded.
Big C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 07:41 AM   #11
jimmyjames
Serious playground baller

jimmyjames has no real reputation yet.

Quote:
Now Marion is a player I wouldn't mind if the Knicks got, unlike Artest. He could be a good help side defender, block some shots, get garbage points and rebounds. He could basically do what David Lee did last year, and then a lot more.

His ego seems like a problem, but in NY he would get recognition, for better or worst.

And we have the expirers (Jones, Dickau, and Rose has 2 years iirc) and the knicks have the young players to offer that could fit that system (Lee, Balkman, Chandler, Morris.)

BTW, does anyone know the relationship between Marion and Marbury? Good, bad, average?
He got along real good with Marbury. It was Amare that didn't get along with Marbury to well that is why the Suns sent him to NY. I don't think Marion could make it there the NY media would eat him alive.
jimmyjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 11:03 AM   #12
Da KO King

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyjames
He got along real good with Marbury. It was Amare that didn't get along with Marbury to well that is why the Suns sent him to NY. I don't think Marion could make it there the NY media would eat him alive.
The story about friction between Marbury and Stoudemire is bogus. Marbury was Stoudemire's biggest fan his rookie season. A week into training camp he was telling anyone who would listen that Stoudemire would be rookie of the year.
Old 10-04-2007, 12:37 PM   #13
Ben Wogu
Can barely lace up my sneakers

Ben Wogu has an OK reputation so far

you're right KO KING...i remember Marbury saying Stoudemire would be better than Garnett, and that Stoudemire was actually ahead of Garnett when comparing their progression in the early stages of their careers...They thought he was crazy for saying that back then, but it doesn't really seem so crazy now...KG's a better on the ball defender, but statistically and even in terms of the type of energy they bring their teams they're very similar
Ben Wogu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 08:50 PM   #14
skillswithaz
I bust ghosts

skillswithaz has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyjames

I wish I had something important to add to this thread but I don't.

You stole my avatar.
skillswithaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 11:18 PM   #15
Manphibian420
very nice

Manphibian420 has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Something like this would be nice:

Richardson (played well with the suns during the 04-05 Season)
Jeffries (will help them on D)
Dickau (looks like a cheap version of Nash)
Jones (Would thrive in the Suns up-tempo system)

for

Marion (everything we been looking for)
Banks (would be a great 3rd pg option)

Nice for the Knicks. Laughable for the Suns. They don't cut much salary (long or short term), they don't add anyone anywhere near Marion's level of talent, purely getting worse, they don't even add any long term potential (with the 26 yr old mediocre roleplayer Jeffries being the youngest guy coming back). At LEAST 1 of those 3 has to happen for the trade to make any sense for PHX. Many teams can offer a similar or better package that either cuts significant salary while bringing similar talent, or just offers a lot better talent if PHX is gonna take back a lot of long term salary.
The only trade I can see offering PHX enough salary relief and talent for it to make sense to trade Marion;
Marion, Banks for
QRichardson, Jones, Dickau, Balkman, Lee

Suns save salary short and long term, and add 2 decent young forwards that together should be able to replace a good amount of what Marion brings us. Don't know if it makes sense for the Knicks, though I think it would be worth it and then some.
In any event, the Suns would almost surely just choose to play at least 1 more year with a malcontent Marion over taking a mediocre package like the 1st one you made up.
Manphibian420 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: