Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 09-28-2007, 10:56 AM   #31
dawsey6
/thread

Default Re: DoubleTech's Power Rankings... (kinda long)

I think it's too early to put Boston anywhere above 8.
dawsey6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 10:57 AM   #32
RidonKs
NBA Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleTech
and to people in this thread bumping the lakers? are you serious? what REALLY seperates you guys from a healthy clippers? if this kobe trade demand bs distracts the team, you can forget about even dreaming about the playoffs.... seriously, DEREK FISHER IS YOUR BIGGEST OFFSEASON ADDITION!
Wait, LA needs to have a major offseason overhaul in order to stay in the top 20, but Milwaukee, who finished with 14 less wins IN THE EAST, only added a rookie and lost their best guard off the bench, are now going to sky rocket up? I'm just not following the logic.

You do understand how well LA was playing before the flow of injuries killed them right? Directly before Lamar went down, they were 15-6. They continued to maintain that even without Lamar and were 27-16 before Luke got hurt. Throw in the fact that Bynum was playing quite well until he hit the wall hard, but now he has another year of experience, and Vlad will actually be able to shoot pain-free, and you have the makings of a solid playoff team.

Add onto that the massive upgrade at PG (LA's weakest position, so even if it is only Fish, it's still a big plus), and it gets even better. Now I'm not going to sit here and argue that LA didn't overachieve a little bit to start the year last year. It's obvious to anyone that they did. However, if you actually sat and watched them play during those first few opening months, you would've noticed just how well everyone was playing off each other, and just how well Kobe was playing in his distribution role. You would've noticed that they weren't playing Kobe-ball, and it was actually the exact opposite that they were playing.

And to answer your question, not a whole lot separates LA from a healthy Clippers squad. However, a whole lot separates LA from an unhealthy Clippers squad, which is what we're looking at.

Quote:
-Lakers should drop a couple spot, and to the poster above: yes, Memphis deserves to be ranked ahead of LA.
What did Memphis do last year once Pau came back? 17-41. We can excuse the first bunch of games because Pau was just getting back, but after that? After he was fully healthy and playing well, it still wasn't enough to get the Grizz even close to .500. They did make some solid additions, but Darko, Conley, and an improved Gay are far from enough to get this team over .500, as LA will undoubtedly be. The Grizz will contend, but at this point, there's no reason to have them above the Lakers.
RidonKs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 11:45 AM   #33
kwajo
Missing Since 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by RidonKs
What did Memphis do last year once Pau came back? 17-41. We can excuse the first bunch of games because Pau was just getting back, but after that? After he was fully healthy and playing well, it still wasn't enough to get the Grizz even close to .500. They did make some solid additions, but Darko, Conley, and an improved Gay are far from enough to get this team over .500, as LA will undoubtedly be. The Grizz will contend, but at this point, there's no reason to have them above the Lakers.
Well come on Rid, I'm allowed to play Grizz homer every once in a while, it's not like anyone else does lol

Seriously though, I just don't get a good feeling about the Lakers squad, they have too many question marks. Obviously Kobe alone guarantees that they'll be competitive (unless he dogs it like Vince, but he won't). I don't think they are a lock to finish above .500, but they will win at least 35 games. Meanwhile Memphis has a lot of young potential and proven players, and I remain optimistic that they'll mesh early with their new coach. Last year wasn't a good judge of things, there were injuries, Pau was unhappy (though he continued to play hard), they were basically playing for draft picks, and the coaching situation was up in the air. This year they made moves to keep Pau happy, the coaching has been sorted out, and they are going to play from day one to get back into the playoffs. I see them [the Lakers & Grizz] being pretty close in reality, but I've got to have faith that my team will come out on top.

Last edited by kwajo : 09-28-2007 at 11:48 AM.
kwajo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 11:47 AM   #34
Kobe24
Banned

Quote:
Seriously though, I just don't get a good feeling about the Lakers squad, they have too many question marks.

Care to name them?
Kobe24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 11:55 AM   #35
kwajo
Missing Since 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobe24
Care to name them?
Sure:

-How will Kobe play? Is he happy? Does it matter? No one will know until the season starts.
-Bynum is always looked at as a key feature, but can he be while still this young? Will he ever live up to expectations?
-Odom can be as inconsistent as anyone in the league. He's a great talent, and even on a bad day he's still a good player, but he just doesn't bring the same effort to the table in ever game.
-Fisher; will he miss games because of family issues? Is his move to LA going to remove that possibility or not? Can he play heavy minutes still? I hope he can.
-Injuries lingering from last season; guys like Mihm or Vlad.
-Too many holes in the roster
-What will Kwame Brown do this season? Play strong defense? Drop the ball in the post? Neither? He's a huge question mark, you never know what you're going to get.
-Can the team work in the Triangle with the personnel they have? Is Phil being stubborn for not trying another offensive system? Will he even stick around to coach?
-Can Mitch do anything to improve the roster? Will he?

I know I'm being negative here, and harping on issues that probably aren't major, but to me they would signal uneasiness in my organization.

All Lakers fans on the board: Prepare to hate me for saying the above.

Last edited by kwajo : 09-28-2007 at 11:58 AM.
kwajo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 12:09 PM   #36
Kobe24
Banned

Quote:
-How will Kobe play? Is he happy? Does it matter? No one will know until the season starts.

Good point. But Kobe has played throughout harder situations. For example: His sexual assault case. Kobe is the least of my worries right now.

Quote:
-Bynum is always looked at as a key feature, but can he be while still this young? Will he ever live up to expectations?

Biggest question mark right now. Bynum is the key to our success imo. I heard numerous articles saying he slimmed down, got faster and gained more muscle. He's a season experienced right now so hopefully he improves.

Quote:
-Odom can be as inconsistent as anyone in the league. He's a great talent, and even on a bad day he's still a good player, but he just doesn't bring the same effort to the table in ever game.

Won't deny that.

Quote:
-Fisher; will he miss games because of family issues? Is his move to LA going to remove that possibility or not? Can he play heavy minutes still? I hope he can.

I doubt it. He came to LA so he can be closer to one of the best hospitals in the world. Plus him missing games would just be like any other PG missing games due to injuries. Out of the last 5 seasons, he only had one season without 82 games. I'm pretty sure the other reason he came to L.A was that so he doesn't miss games and didn't want to affect the team. I also heard the baby was improving so hopefully he can play without distractions.

Quote:
-Injuries lingering from last season; guys like Mihm or Vlad.

Vlad can shoot pain-free now. Mihm is not 100 % and probably will never be the guy he was two or three years ago, the most consistent guy on the roster but he's a veteran so it's good to have him back.

Quote:
-Too many holes in the roster

I disagree. I think LA has very good depth. Especially at the 1 and 5 positions.

Quote:
-What will Kwame Brown do this season? Play strong defense? Drop the ball in the post? Neither? He's a huge question mark, you never know what you're going to get.

CONTRACT YEAR! MONEY MONEY MONEY.

Quote:
-Can the team work in the Triangle with the personnel they have? Is Phil being stubborn for not trying another offensive system? Will he even stick around to coach?

They won't try another offensive system because the team has been practicing the triangle for years now and they're just getting comfortable with it. Plus, the triangle offense is one of the best offense.

Quote:
-Can Mitch do anything to improve the roster? Will he?

No.

Quote:
I know I'm being negative here, and harping on issues that probably aren't major, but to me they would signal uneasiness in my organization.

All Lakers fans on the board: Prepare to hate me for saying the above.

Good points. I don't see signs of h a t e r-ism.
Old 09-28-2007, 12:35 PM   #37
DeuceWallaces
I am your density

Laker fans are delusional if they're talking about Kwame, Bynum, and Mihm like they're gonna do something.

Isn't Kwame on his second contract? Run by me his numbers from the last contract year.
DeuceWallaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 12:41 PM   #38
Kobe24
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeuceWallaces
Laker fans are delusional if they're talking about Kwame, Bynum, and Mihm like they're gonna do something.

Isn't Kwame on his second contract? Run by me his numbers from the last contract year.

Mihm before he got injured. 10/6 in 26 mins. Kwame is good defensively. All I can say. Bynum is not a factor? Look at his game log during the beginning of the season. You clearly know nothing, always running your mouth. What can I expect from doucheswallaces?

PS: I heard Ben Wallace went to the Bulls. Might want to change that username.
Old 09-28-2007, 01:10 PM   #39
DoubleTech
NBA lottery pick

sorry laker fans, west got tougher this offseason, and you guys did nothing to keep up.

the top 5 are still around, memphis and new orleans are no longer pushovers AND the east got better...

and once again, you added derek friggen fisher and nothing more. the guy is a backup on the majority of the teams in the league, he comes to LA and he's the one who's going to save you? outside of kobe and odom, the lakers are pretty thin. turiaf? mihm? brown? radman? LA used to be able to win with scrubs like these when shaq was around... but just kobe alone? prepare to struggle, and when the struggling starts kobe's trade demand will become more and more of a distraction. phil himself said he was concerned about the chemistry this year.

and why are laker fans knocking new orleans? NO's starting 5 takes a sh!t on LA's starting 5. paul, peterson, stojakovic, west, chandler... that is going to be a solid, solid team. they just got spanked by injuries last year, and speaking of injuries...

ridonks: concerning milwuakee... they were hit by more injuries than any other team last year, and they kept charlie bell last time i checked. all this team needs is to stay healthy, they have a lot of solid players.

buuut, i am glad some laker fans are around to make this thread enjoyable.
DoubleTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 01:20 PM   #40
Kobe24
Banned

Quote:
the top 5 are still around, memphis and new orleans are no longer pushovers AND the east got better...
Memphis got so tougher. Conley and friggin Darko. Hornets got Julian Wright and Mo Pete. Are you serious? Did you know the Lakers were 15-6 before injuries? With Kobe not playing at full strenght.. and here you are mentioning Conley and Darko like they're gonna do something. Darko.. what has he done in Detroit? Nothing. What has he done in Orlando? Absolutely nothing. Conley is a rookie, he ain't Lebron. New Orleans is always a teaser and they didn't even add anybody except a rookie and friggin Mo Pete.
Quote:
and once again, you added derek friggen fisher and nothing more. the guy is a backup on the majority of the teams in the league, he comes to LA and he's the one who's going to save you?

We had Smush Parker for two seasons. You're acting like we went from Nash to Fisher. No, we went from arguably the worst starting point guard to an average PG. PG was never our strongest point and we made the playoffs twice in a row.

Quote:
outside of kobe and odom, the lakers are pretty thin. turiaf? mihm? brown? radman? LA used to be able to win with scrubs like these when shaq was around... but just kobe alone?

Walton is a scrub? Radmanovic is a scrub? Turiaf is a scrub? Kwame is a scrub? Kwame is the closest thing to a scrub but what he brings defensively is very needed. When Kwame got injured, Lakers went on a BAD losing streak. We must have a different definition of what a scrub is. A scrub is somebody that adds nothing to a team. Radmanovic adds shooting, Kwame adds defense and Turiaf keeps getting better and adds toughness. Yet you keep forgetting how Kwame, Mihm and Odom are freaking healthy this year.

Quote:
prepare to struggle, and when the struggling starts kobe's trade demand will become more and more of a distraction. phil himself said he was concerned about the chemistry this year.

Care for an avatar bet? Lakers will struggle like every team in the league but once again, they will make the playoffs,

Quote:
and why are laker fans knocking new orleans? NO's starting 5 takes a sh!t on LA's starting 5. paul, peterson, stojakovic, west, chandler... that is going to be a solid, solid team. they just got spanked by injuries last year, and speaking of injuries...

Mo Pete is washed up. Don't even mention his name. He couldn't even start over Graham. Nuff said. Fisher,Kobe,Walton,Odom and Kwame> that lineup.
Quote:
ridonks: concerning milwuakee... they were hit by more injuries than any other team last year, and they kept charlie bell last time i checked. all this team needs is to stay healthy, they have a lot of solid players.

Like who? Redd,Bell and Yi. You don't mention their off season problems. Bell and YI didn't even want to play for that team but don't mention that.
Old 09-28-2007, 01:27 PM   #41
rezznor
Nosetradamus

top 5 are from the west..seems about right
rezznor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 01:36 PM   #42
DoubleTech
NBA lottery pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobe24

Care for an avatar bet? Lakers will struggle like every team in the league but once again, they will make the playoffs,

well, you're a laker fan, no doubt about that. i'll say left, you say right... that won't change.

and yea, sorry, new orleans WILL be better than the lakers. and i'll accept your avatar bet.

if the lakers make the playoffs, i'll wear whatever avatar you want for the duration of LA's playoff run. but if the lakers don't make it, and lets not kid ourselves, you probably won't be around much, you have to wear the avatar of my choice.
DoubleTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 01:39 PM   #43
Kobe24
Banned

Quote:
you probably won't be around much, you have to wear the avatar of my choice.

I probably won't be around? I'm always around even if my team sucks. I remember not long ago, me,sizzle and a couple of posters were the only ones on the old board when Lakers went 37-45. LA's playoff run? Bring it up a notch and say the whole summer.
Old 09-28-2007, 01:40 PM   #44
CAYO
Serious playground baller

Some Of The Reasons Are Funny

Too High Teams
Jazz
Celtics
Warriors
Magic
Clippers

Too Low Teams
Bulls
Pistons
Bucks
Sonics
CAYO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 01:45 PM   #45
Fudge
Banned

Quote:
Like who? Redd,Bell and Yi. You don't mention their off season problems. Bell and YI didn't even want to play for that team but don't mention that.
Those are the obvious 3 of course. But they've got some pieces that could make them decent playoff racers.

You're overlooking way, way too many players. Eh, i'll do a depth chart.

G. Mo Williams/Lynn Greer/Ramon Sessions
G. Michael Redd/Charlie Bell/Royal Ivey
F. Bobby Simmons/Desmond Mason/David Noel
F. Charlie Villanueva/Yi Jianlian/Samaki Walker
C. Andrew Bogut/Michael Ruffin/Dan Gadzuric

Not anything spectacular, but just by looking at these guys (if healthy), they can definitely make some noise this season.
Fudge is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: