Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 09-29-2007, 05:57 PM   #46
bleedinpurpleTwo
Another Laker Dynasty?

Default Re: Shawn Marion Needs to be Slapped? Any takers? Okay I'll Strike First.

one more important point....

It's OK for a team to openly try to trade a player

but

It's NOT OK for that player to request a trade?

(after all, THEY were trying to trade HIM !!)
bleedinpurpleTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 06:14 PM   #47
adamcz
Bucks fan

Default Re: Shawn Marion Needs to be Slapped? Any takers? Okay I'll Strike First.

Here we go again with people thinking that NBA players should give up nothing in exchange for the team guaranteeing them money.

The team promises the player their salary for x number of years, and in return the player promises nothing. The player can't promise good health, can't promise a good attitude, can't promise that their skills won't decline, etc.

That's an enormous risk that the team takes on, and the only consolation that they have is they can hope to trade the player if things don't work out. Some players are smart enough to negotiate 15% trade kickers if they want to discourage the team from trading them. If that wasn't enough protection for them, they could sign one year deals each and every year to make sure they are never traded.

Players never sign one year deals because they want long-term financial security. You don't get your cake and eat it too. When you make the team promise to pay you for many years while promising nothing back, you give up your right to complain about trades. You're the one who signed on the dotted line.

The last thing I want to hear about is Shawn Marion not getting respect. Money is the biggest form of respect there is, and Marion makes the highest salary a player can possibly get paid. He's in commercials, he's made allstar games, he's played in the olympics, he plays for an elite team, and he gets to play with the best point guard alive, and one of the best big men.

How many players in the NBA have a better situation than that? Five? Give me a fricking break.
adamcz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 08:43 PM   #48
mlh1981
Reds/Bengals/Cavs

Shawn Marion should ask his old buddy Joe Johnson what it's like to go to a bottom feeder, get the ball whenever you want, and average oodles of points per game. His current situation is as good as it gets right now in Phoenix. Year in and year out, he plays on a title contending team, makes the most money, and plays in a system perfectly designed for him where he may not recieve all the credit he feels he deserves, but he will also never get the full blame. Sounds like a pretty good life to me. He should expect the trade rumors. Any team that doesn't win the title is going to try to tweak their roster. It's not them disrespecting him, it's business..........
mlh1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 01:57 AM   #49
Norcaliblunt
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebron23
Shawn Marion wants to win an NBA Championship ring with another NBA Team. Playing with the Suns for one or 2 more season would not guarantee him instant success in the playoffs.

I cannot even foresee the Phoenix Suns making it in the NBA Finals; it has been proven 3 times in the post season that this team always come up short in the playoffs.

Suns just have talent in the regular season, but when it counts , they backs off and that talent slowly disappears. Beside team defense can win an NBA Championship as being proven by great champions in the NBA, while the Suns played mediocre defense in the playoffs.

And you know what is a reason for them falling apart in the post season. Marion not coming up as big offensely as we need him.
Norcaliblunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 08:52 AM   #50
JtotheIzzo
Admlnlstrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamcz
Here we go again with people thinking that NBA players should give up nothing in exchange for the team guaranteeing them money.

The team promises the player their salary for x number of years, and in return the player promises nothing. The player can't promise good health, can't promise a good attitude, can't promise that their skills won't decline, etc.

That's an enormous risk that the team takes on, and the only consolation that they have is they can hope to trade the player if things don't work out. Some players are smart enough to negotiate 15% trade kickers if they want to discourage the team from trading them. If that wasn't enough protection for them, they could sign one year deals each and every year to make sure they are never traded.

Players never sign one year deals because they want long-term financial security. You don't get your cake and eat it too. When you make the team promise to pay you for many years while promising nothing back, you give up your right to complain about trades. You're the one who signed on the dotted line.

The last thing I want to hear about is Shawn Marion not getting respect. Money is the biggest form of respect there is, and Marion makes the highest salary a player can possibly get paid. He's in commercials, he's made allstar games, he's played in the olympics, he plays for an elite team, and he gets to play with the best point guard alive, and one of the best big men.

How many players in the NBA have a better situation than that? Five? Give me a fricking break.

I think Adam put some finality to this argument, all this posterior pontificating about imaginary marketing schemes and hurt feelings is pathetic.

he gets paid very well, in fact the best. Trade rumors are part and parcel with the job, he needs to be a bit more of a man about it, expecially considering the fact that a large majority of teams use him as trade bait to raise the level of the player they are trying to dump.

Take for example AK47, everyone with a passing knowledge of basketball knows AK for Marion straight up is unfair, but Utah, by planting this rumor to a reporter (knowing full well it will hit the national media) raises the asking price for Kirelinko when other teams come asking. So in effect it isn't Phoenix not 'deperate' to move him as much as other teams are desperate to aquire him, or use him to elevate their player.

Marion needs to man up.
JtotheIzzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 05:07 PM   #51
picc84
3-time NBA All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamcz

Good points. Never thought about it like that.
picc84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 07:25 PM   #52
xxxSuperStar
I Like Tacos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da KO King
Chauncey Billups, Chris Paul, Deron Williams, Jason Kidd, Mike Bibby, and Kirk Hinrich could all reasonably replace Steve Nash. The Suns system is based around pushing the ball quickly for transition baskets and ability to play the screen roll game in half-court sets.

Nash is an amazing player and deserves everything he's been awarded but to act as though he's doing something no one else can is foolish. The Suns would be just as dynamic with the above mentioned guys.

No player, except maybe Chauncey could replace Nash.

As you mentioned, in a half court set, the Suns primarily run a high screen and role.

The ability to play effective screen and role as much as the Suns do must mean you can shoot if defenders don't come out on the screen.

That eliminates Kidd, Hinrich, Williams and Paul none of which are anywhere near as good shooters as Nash.

Can you imagine Kidd running the Suns offense? On the high screen and role players would back off and let him shoot all day; just wouldn't work. That is why Nash is ideal; he can drive, and shoots great percentages and is the best passer of the lot, period.

Fact is, no other PG can run the Suns offense like Nash can.
xxxSuperStar is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: