Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-01-2007, 07:37 PM   #121
ACCBaller1403
Washed up streetballer
 
ACCBaller1403's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: In the heart of the ACC
Posts: 528
ACCBaller1403 has decent reputationACCBaller1403 has decent reputation
Default Re: Arenas runs mouth again: "...Boston isn't winning in Boston for the season opener

Quote:
Originally Posted by Los Angeles
Oh please, can you find the articles where he claimed the things you say he did? You're a Wizard fan, so of course you will know the little details in more depth then someone who doesn't follow Washington. And I'm not so sure it was just two teams he claimed he'd drop 50 against. I remember hearing a lot of stuff regarding him constantly making those claims...maybe it was the media that was over blowing everything regarding him. I really didn't pay his mouth no mind, I don't take him as seriously as some other fans do.

What you fail to understand is that when someone makes a claim like that publicly and fails...people will remember that for a longer time then when he actually succeeds. I personally don't remember him promising to score 50 on Phoenix, or take Washington to the playoffs. Not like either of them are bold statements...making the playoffs in the eastern conference with the talent he has around him, should have been a no brainer. And what's so special about scoring 50+ on Phoenix, that's one of the easier teams to score 50 on because of the pace they play. Yeah of course it's impressive regardless but how many shots did he took in that game? He took 37 shots, hit 21 of them...good for him. He was 3 for 15 for 9 points, against Portland...the team he promised he'd torch before hand. After that game all I heard was how much of a joke Gilbert is, yeah fans can be irrational and cruel...they don't pay him no mind when he torches Phoenix after claiming he would, but he gets bashed for failing to do so against Portland...that's just how basketball fans are especially the hardcore fans, that game along is probably why I think he made a lot more bold statements then he really did....because the media probably drag that for weeks.



Why are you naming me things he did last season, did he actually say he will achieve those things before hand? I mean did he not start talking crap about scoring 50+ points on everyone after his impressive span of high scoring games? 60 against my Lakers, 54 against Phoenix...did he not say he'll drop 50 on Phoenix after he torched LA? He always goes overboard with his comments, he makes a big shot...he thinks he's Michael Jordan. That's his personality, he needs to learn to bite his tongue sometime or else a lot more hate will come toward him. That's the nature of human beings.

I understand you aren't as in the know on what Arenas does, but that still doesn't change the fact that you made a statement without doing any research and just listening to what that tool JasonTerry or whoever else has a vendetta against Arenas says.

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/suns...renas1222.html

Took two seconds on Google. He guaranteed 100 points combined against Phoenix and Portland BEFORE the season started right after he left the national team.

And why are you making more baseless accusations? Where does he ever compare himself to Michael Jordan? Since you're so against doing a Google search or actually having a reason for anything you say, I assume I won't be getting an answer that actually addresses what you just said.

And if its so easy to score 50 against Phoenix, why didn't more players, most rated ahead of Arenas (rightfully so) score 50 against them? To be completely honest, I think it was a little foolhardy for him to give a team like Portland something to play for, stopping Arenas. They did it. Twice. I was at the first game and it was disgusting. But the point is, you can't back up anything you say, which is exactly what you're accusing Gilbert of doing. Find me evidence of the contrary and I'll tell you you're completely right and I'll shut up.

Edit: I named things he did last season because he dubbed it "the year of the takeover" or something like that. What did he do? Rose to possible top 10 status and had a hell of a season. Although, I do think his season two years ago was actually his most impressive.

Last edited by ACCBaller1403 : 10-01-2007 at 07:39 PM.
ACCBaller1403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 07:47 PM   #122
04mzwach
NBA sixth man of the year
 
04mzwach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 7,323
04mzwach is considered somewhat cool04mzwach is considered somewhat cool04mzwach is considered somewhat cool
Default Re: Arenas runs mouth again: "...Boston isn't winning in Boston for the season opener."

It's really entertaining, but i doubt a future hall of famer and 2 very good all stars are going to be sleeping on him if he says something like this. If he wins the season opener when they're all fresh, it would be embarrassing to the Celtics. And it's not like the Celtics are plugging their ears, it's going to be a bloody massacre of Gilbert and the Wiz.
04mzwach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 07:51 PM   #123
geeWiz15
Quality Posts™
 
geeWiz15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: limbo
Posts: 5,765
geeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation here
Default Re: Arenas runs mouth again: "...Boston isn't winning in Boston for the season opener."

Quote:
That's funny, because I could make a case that Boston's 3rd best player is better then Gilbert Arenas.
well, if you want to get technical, I could make a case that Gilbert Arenas is a top 10 player in NBA history. you can make a case for anything if you've got enough disregard for reality. Gilbert Arenas isn't as good as KG and he and Pierce are in the same general area. I don't think it has much to do with talent. Boston is obviously more talented on paper than the Wizards, and I'd argue they're more talented on paper than any team since the dynasty Lakers. funny thing about paper is Basketball is played, as it were, on hardwood, and not on paper OR in a calculator and when you factor in emotion and chemistry (or lack thereof) combined with the plain odds that even the greatest teams in history lose 15 games a season, and all the great aggregations of talent struggle early, and you have a prediction that just isn't that out there.

the most outrageous claim Gilbert's ever made was that he'd drop 50 on Phoenix. he said this before he had scored 50 in a game in his LIFE- and he did it. so even if this were an outlandish prediction, you wouldn't dare to jump on Arenas for the substance of the prediction itself until he has failed in real-time, else you'll wind up looking like the idiots that have been doubting him his whole career (and yes, I get that zero-to-hero thing is getting stale with y'all, but it IS true, right? he's the greatest zero to hero basketball story since John Starks and he's better then John Starks. give him some goddam credit?).

and even if you don't explicitly give him any credit at all (yes I realize I've just broken rules for parentheticals), just realize that by making this topic hundreds of replies deep in controversy, you're giving him credit all the same by caring.

Quote:
And I'm not so sure it was just two teams he claimed he'd drop 50 against.
it was.

Quote:
I remember hearing a lot of stuff regarding him constantly making those claims...maybe it was the media that was over blowing everything regarding him.
it was.

Quote:
I really didn't pay his mouth no mind, I don't take him as seriously as some other fans do.
you take him more seriously than 99% of fans do. here you are writing articles on the guy, made-up assumptions and all. if you didn't take him seriously you'd be posting about something else.

Quote:
What you fail to understand is that when someone makes a claim like that publicly and fails...people will remember that for a longer time then when he actually succeeds.
PEOPLE will? you say this as if you are excluded from this group. you then proceed to go on and say that predicting a 50 point outburst against the best team in the league despite never having scored 50 in his career at that point, and then delivering in an overtime win with 54 is "no big deal" and "easy" and then you proceed to slam him, italics and all, for a crappy showing against Portland. you're just another tool in the shed bud. with a bias whose size rivals Arenas' ego. 50 = no big deal; 9 = OJ and Jacko trials all in one: somebody call CNN! tell EVERYBODY you know and NEVER FORGET it.

Quote:
making the playoffs in the eastern conference with the talent he has around him, should have been a no brainer.
the Wizards hadn't been to the playoffs since the early 90s and hadn't been to the second round in 20 years despite having notables such as Chris Webber, Rasheed Wallace, Juwan Howard, Mitch Richmond, Rip Hamilton, Jerry Stackhouse, and Michael Jordan on the roster. Gilbert comes in, says "enough of that: I'm taking these guys to the post season." first healthy shot he gets, and he does it: 5th seed. 2nd round. anyone watching back then knew perfectly well that "Wizards" and "Playoffs" didn't go together. it's pretty easy to look back today and think, yeah, 2 all stars beside him, of course he made the playoffs. but it really wasn't that simple.

Quote:
I mean did he not start talking crap about scoring 50+ points on everyone after his impressive span of high scoring games? 60 against my Lakers, 54 against Phoenix...did he not say he'll drop 50 on Phoenix after he torched LA?
wrong. made it during the offseason after he got cut from Team USA. I hope I didn't just dash your hopes and dreams by rebuking the main basis for your opinion.

Last edited by geeWiz15 : 10-01-2007 at 07:54 PM.
geeWiz15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 07:54 PM   #124
Take Your Lumps
Ho Ho Ho
 
Take Your Lumps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 4,515
Take Your Lumps has an incredible reputation hereTake Your Lumps has an incredible reputation hereTake Your Lumps has an incredible reputation hereTake Your Lumps has an incredible reputation hereTake Your Lumps has an incredible reputation hereTake Your Lumps has an incredible reputation hereTake Your Lumps has an incredible reputation here
Default Re: Arenas runs mouth again: "...Boston isn't winning in Boston for the season opener

America is a country of loudmouths yet most people love to see loudmouths crash and burn....i don't get it

I hope Gil goes for 82 points.
Take Your Lumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 08:11 PM   #125
Los Angeles
A Diamond In the Rough
 
Los Angeles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 2,293
Los Angeles has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Arenas runs mouth again: "...Boston isn't winning in Boston for the season opener

Quote:
And if its so easy to score 50 against Phoenix, why didn't more players

He had an agenda to score 50+ points, he took 37 shots...and then got humiliated by Portland after running his mouth on a 3 for 15 shooting night.


That's 1 claim he hasn't lived up too, and if they don't beat Boston...it'll be another instance where he put a foot in his mouth. In regards to my previous comments, I guess I take them back? Since I honestly don't feel like researching and trying to prove to you what I heard in the media last season.

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/dcspo...r_50point.html

Him calling out LeBron James about not being able to take the last shot, and claiming how he was doubled teamed against Portland and that he will drop 50 on them at HOME...and guess what...HE DIDN't. In fact Washington lost BOTH games to Portland, and Gilbert was held to 28 points on 7 for 31 shooting in the two games against a team he wanted to torch because their head coach didn't select him to the Olympics.

That's 1 for 3...and how about his team getting swept by the guy he called out (LeBron), getting swept in the 1st round by Cleveland.

Didn't he also claim he's taking the 3 point shoot out during the All-Star Break? And when he knew he couldn't win, he started showing off by attempting one handed shots.

So you're backing him up because Washington made the playoffs (With Butler & Jamison on the team)...and because he scored 50 points against Phoenix on 37 shots (can you say agenda? I can). Wow, I guess he definitely makes up for his promises eh. Getting 50 against Phoenix was impressive as hell, kudos to the man...but you need to understand he also has his share of failed promises...and those are the ones people are more likely to remember.

And yeah, he had an incredible season last year...no doubt about it, the most clutch player in the league bar none last seaosn.
Los Angeles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 08:27 PM   #126
Los Angeles
A Diamond In the Rough
 
Los Angeles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 2,293
Los Angeles has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Arenas runs mouth again: "...Boston isn't winning in Boston for the season opener

Quote:
I could make a case that Gilbert Arenas is a top 10 player in NBA history.

Right because claiming Ray Allen is better then Gilbert Arenas is as absurd as placing Gilbert Arenas in the top 10 players of all-time. Either Allen is extremely underrated, or Arenas is extremely overrated. You can choose.

Quote:
he said this before he had scored 50 in a game in his LIFE- and he did it.

Did he not score 60 points like 4 games prior to playing Phoenix? Or did he make that prediction before playing the Lakers?

Quote:
PEOPLE will? you say this as if you are excluded from this group.

My posts prove everything I've just stated, I don't recall him assuring he'll drop 50 on Phoenix but I do recall him failing to score 50 against Portland. Media tends to ride failure a lot more then success, especially when a person opens his mouth and fails to deliver the goods.

Quote:
notables such as Chris Webber, Rasheed Wallace, Juwan Howard, Mitch Richmond, Rip Hamilton, Jerry Stackhouse, and Michael Jordan on the roster.

1. Did any of those players had the level of talent that Gilbert had last season?
2. Was the eastern conference as weak now as it was when those particular players played for Washington?

Quote:
the Wizards hadn't been to the playoffs since the early 90s and hadn't been to the second round in 20 years

Why would you bring this up, has Washington got past the first round with Gilbert Arenas yet? You're talking about 3 years ago, my bad.

Last edited by Los Angeles : 10-01-2007 at 08:31 PM.
Los Angeles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 08:44 PM   #127
ACCBaller1403
Washed up streetballer
 
ACCBaller1403's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: In the heart of the ACC
Posts: 528
ACCBaller1403 has decent reputationACCBaller1403 has decent reputation
Default Re: Arenas runs mouth again: "...Boston isn't winning in Boston for the season opener

Quote:
Originally Posted by Los Angeles
He had an agenda to score 50+ points, he took 37 shots...and then got humiliated by Portland after running his mouth on a 3 for 15 shooting night.


That's 1 claim he hasn't lived up too, and if they don't beat Boston...it'll be another instance where he put a foot in his mouth. In regards to my previous comments, I guess I take them back? Since I honestly don't feel like researching and trying to prove to you what I heard in the media last season.

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/dcspo...r_50point.html

Him calling out LeBron James about not being able to take the last shot, and claiming how he was doubled teamed against Portland and that he will drop 50 on them at HOME...and guess what...HE DIDN't. In fact Washington lost BOTH games to Portland, and Gilbert was held to 28 points on 7 for 31 shooting in the two games against a team he wanted to torch because their head coach didn't select him to the Olympics.

That's 1 for 3...and how about his team getting swept by the guy he called out (LeBron), getting swept in the 1st round by Cleveland.

Didn't he also claim he's taking the 3 point shoot out during the All-Star Break? And when he knew he couldn't win, he started showing off by attempting one handed shots.

So you're backing him up because Washington made the playoffs (With Butler & Jamison on the team)...and because he scored 50 points against Phoenix on 37 shots (can you say agenda? I can). Wow, I guess he definitely makes up for his promises eh. Getting 50 against Phoenix was impressive as hell, kudos to the man...but you need to understand he also has his share of failed promises...and those are the ones people are more likely to remember.

And yeah, he had an incredible season last year...no doubt about it, the most clutch player in the league bar none last seaosn.

When they first went to the playoffs after not having been there for YEARS, he didn't have Caron, he had Hughes, who most people think is downright awful now. Seriously, you couldn't give Hughes away. And the Cavs swept the Wizards...WITHOUT ARENAS OR CARON PLAYING!! They were both injured.

I really do get what you're saying but I think you're going about it the wrong way. He hasn't come through on a couple things. I mentioned that he failed to score 50 on Portland. I was at the home game like I said before.

And Gil called out Lebron for not taking the last shot like 75% of the board here, as well as about 90% of the media. If its the popular opinion, I guess everyone should get fined $50,000 for stating their opinion that the best player on a team should take the last shot of a game.

Gilbert took a team to the playoffs that had Jamison (career journey man, good but was a sixth man the year before and a HORRIBLE defensive player), Hughes (zero trade value now, injury risk every year) and Haywood (complete trash in all aspects of the game, especially effort). I mean hell, Gil led a team to the playoffs when they were starting Roger Mason Jr. Think about that. He's been let go in training camp by how many teams?

Gil is one of the most enigmatic players around today and a true hero in the community. I don't know of anyone else that does more for the kids and surrounding areas than Gil. He's a true fan of the game, something we all are. If you don't like him, that's fine, but just don't bash him for reasons that simply aren't true.
ACCBaller1403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 08:55 PM   #128
Los Angeles
A Diamond In the Rough
 
Los Angeles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 2,293
Los Angeles has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Arenas runs mouth again: "...Boston isn't winning in Boston for the season opener

Quote:
Gil is one of the most enigmatic players around today and a true hero in the community. I don't know of anyone else that does more for the kids and surrounding areas than Gil. He's a true fan of the game, something we all are. If you don't like him, that's fine, but just don't bash him for reasons that simply aren't true.

I acknowledge him being a great person and a terrific player, I don't know as much as you about what he does for the community but I'm sure it's a lot. He's a player you love to have on your team, he's the Chad Johnson of the NBA. I remember watching a special on him, how he grew up without a mother and how difficult his child hood was...and you're right, he is one of the greatest underdog stories in league history.

I didn't bash him, I simply called out him for doing something that will simply tarnish his reputation as a basketball player...if he just goes on about his business and does all those things he tries to put the spotlight on...fans will appreciate him more. I'm not telling him to change into something he isn't, I simply think he would have more success against teams like Portland if he doesn't call them out...don't brag as much about your ability as a player, just go out and play.
Los Angeles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 08:57 PM   #129
ACCBaller1403
Washed up streetballer
 
ACCBaller1403's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: In the heart of the ACC
Posts: 528
ACCBaller1403 has decent reputationACCBaller1403 has decent reputation
Default Re: Arenas runs mouth again: "...Boston isn't winning in Boston for the season opener

Quote:
Originally Posted by Los Angeles
I acknowledge him being a great person and a terrific player, I don't know as much as you about what he does for the community but I'm sure it's a lot. He's a player you love to have on your team, he's the Chad Johnson of the NBA. I remember watching a special on him, how he grew up without a mother and how difficult his child hood was...and you're right, he is one of the greatest underdog stories in league history.

I didn't bash him, I simply called out him for doing something that will simply tarnish his reputation as a basketball player...if he just goes on about his business and does all those things he tries to put the spotlight on...fans will appreciate him more. I'm not telling him to change into something he isn't, I simply think he would have more success against teams like Portland if he doesn't call them out...don't brag as much about your ability as a player, just go out and play.

Fair enough.
ACCBaller1403 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:12 PM.




NBA Basketball Forum Key Links:
InsideHoops Home
NBA Rumors
Basketball Blog
NBA Daily Recaps
NBA Videos
Fantasy Basketball
NBA Mock Draft
NBA Free Agents
All-Star Weekend
---
High School Basketball
Streetball
---
InsideHoops Twitter
Search Our Site















Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy