Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-01-2007, 03:19 AM   #31
DeuceWallaces
I am your density
 
DeuceWallaces's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: State College, PA
Posts: 15,208
Default Re: Rashard to play PF

They are gonna be even worse than I thought. Taking a hit to what little depth they had to start, and top of it they're gonna play their big FA signing out of position.
DeuceWallaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 10:25 AM   #32
saKf
Roy = my new fave.
 
saKf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Not offended by low scores.
Posts: 4,206
Default Re: Rashard to play PF

Quote:
Originally Posted by wang4three
My question is what's the use of all the shooters if Dwight doesn't learn to effectively pass?
There it is. Howard averaged nearly four turnovers a game last season. He has no sort of passing instinct or developed skill when doubled in the post.
saKf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 10:32 AM   #33
IlliniFan
Very good NBA starter
 
IlliniFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: NOVA
Posts: 8,024
Default Re: Rashard to play PF

Use James Augustine!
IlliniFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 10:33 AM   #34
wang4three
NJ Net Fan For Life.
 
wang4three's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 12,427
Default Re: Rashard to play PF

Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniFan
Use James Augustine!
Co-sign!
wang4three is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 10:39 AM   #35
Shogon Vendetta
Decent playground baller
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 311
Default Re: Rashard to play PF

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeuceWallaces
They are gonna be even worse than I thought. Taking a hit to what little depth they had to start, and top of it they're gonna play their big FA signing out of position.

But Detroit is going to be just as bad as I thought! Stick a fork in them, because they're done in terms of actually contending and they have nobody young on their team to look forward to a future with :) Welcome back to mediocrity.
Shogon Vendetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 10:41 AM   #36
Shogon Vendetta
Decent playground baller
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 311
Default Re: Rashard to play PF

Quote:
Originally Posted by saKf
There it is. Howard averaged nearly four turnovers a game last season. He has no sort of passing instinct or developed skill when doubled in the post.

Look at the stats. They'll tell you everything! Seriously!

...

Passing is not his problem. Of course, he's no Shaq... but his problem is when he puts the ball on the floor. He doesn't generate many turnovers from passing. Try watching some games, thanks.
Shogon Vendetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 10:46 AM   #37
wang4three
NJ Net Fan For Life.
 
wang4three's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 12,427
Default Re: Rashard to play PF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shogon Vendetta
Look at the stats. They'll tell you everything! Seriously!

...

Passing is not his problem. Of course, he's no Shaq... but his problem is when he puts the ball on the floor. He doesn't generate many turnovers from passing. Try watching some games, thanks.

Granted I haven't watched as many games as you, but I do not recall Dwight showing me a passing game to warrant putting 4 shooters around him in the starting line up. I remember him not being able to read defensive situations very well and he'd just end up bullying his way to the basket, which I love--don't get me wrong.
wang4three is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 11:08 AM   #38
DoubleTech
NBA lottery pick
 
DoubleTech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: T-Dot
Posts: 4,265
Default Re: Rashard to play PF

i don't think amare is considered a great passer either. he averaged about 3 TO's per game while being surrounded by solid shooters. offensively i think this scheme could work... but defensively over the course of an 82 game season... trouble.
DoubleTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 11:11 AM   #39
elz
Dylan spits hot fire!
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 1,484
Default Re: Rashard to play PF

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCMVP1551
I said he probably would play PF about a week ago. He could have an advantage over many bigger slower PF.


Not in the post
He's gonna get killed


only advantage I see is on offensive it should give Dwight more space and room cuz other Power forwards will have to come out of the paint to defend Rashards jumper


still dumb though
elz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 11:26 AM   #40
John Starks
National High School Star
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,983
Default Re: Rashard to play PF

From the pro side:

The Magic BIGGEST problem, by a wide margin, is an utter inability to move the ball. Everyone on that team is a finisher and no one is a setter. Its mostly a backcourt problem -- with the arrow pointing sqaurely at Jameer and a little at Howard as the "best player" who doesn't know how to move the ball. Hill was the difference maker last year as the lone person on that team who knew how to do it.

Lewis is nothing special at the Sf position at passing/ball movment (not just assists). Better than Marion worse than Pierce. But as a PF, he becomes an elite level passer. Worse than 'Sheed/Webber - beter than about everyone else. Instead of a Battie, who has leaden hands, trying to make a play, its Rashard.

Is it worth the hit you'll take on the boards and defensively? Or from playing your expecnsive FA out of position? I'll leave that for the coaches. But there is someting to be gained.
John Starks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 11:27 AM   #41
PacerRaptor
B-Rush for ROY
 
PacerRaptor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Conseco Field House
Posts: 2,621
Default Re: Rashard to play PF

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCMVP1551
Playing Indiana actually should be good for Rashard because Jermaine will probably match up with Howard while Rashard matches up with another perimeter big man Troy Murphy.
ya but what if Harrison or Foster are starting at C ... theyre going to eat Lewis alive with their size. Their scoring ability wont be an issue, but the offensive rebounds that Harrison/Foster will be able to get over Lewis will be an issue. Hes going to be extremely tired and fatigued battling down low against those type of players...i think teams like NY will be a tough issue for Lewis; Randolph and Curry
PacerRaptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 11:28 AM   #42
wang4three
NJ Net Fan For Life.
 
wang4three's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 12,427
Default Re: Rashard to play PF

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacerRaptor
ya but what if Harrison or Foster are starting at C ... theyre going to eat Lewis alive with their size. Their scoring ability wont be an issue, but the offensive rebounds that Harrison/Foster will be able to get over Lewis will be an issue. Hes going to be extremely tired and fatigued battling down low against those type of players...i think teams like NY will be a tough issue for Lewis; Randolph and Curry

I seriously doubt this type of logic.
wang4three is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 11:46 AM   #43
Shogon Vendetta
Decent playground baller
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 311
Default Re: Rashard to play PF

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Starks
From the pro side:

The Magic BIGGEST problem, by a wide margin, is an utter inability to move the ball. Everyone on that team is a finisher and no one is a setter. Its mostly a backcourt problem -- with the arrow pointing sqaurely at Jameer and a little at Howard as the "best player" who doesn't know how to move the ball. Hill was the difference maker last year as the lone person on that team who knew how to do it.

Lewis is nothing special at the Sf position at passing/ball movment (not just assists). Better than Marion worse than Pierce. But as a PF, he becomes an elite level passer. Worse than 'Sheed/Webber - beter than about everyone else. Instead of a Battie, who has leaden hands, trying to make a play, its Rashard.

Is it worth the hit you'll take on the boards and defensively? Or from playing your expecnsive FA out of position? I'll leave that for the coaches. But there is someting to be gained.

I'll totally agree with the moving the ball being the Magic's biggest problem stance. That's about as true as it gets. They just don't share the ball well, at all.

The reason that nobody knows how to move the ball is because our coach sucked complete ass. That's changed now.

Example... Grant Hill is more than capable of moving the ball, but did he? If you'd watched the games, you'd know that he didn't for the most part.

There were probably more isolation plays called for Grant Hill than anything else in the entire play book last season and he had no qualms about taking advantage of them and not sharing the ball.

In fact, the only player on the entire roster that consistently moved the ball last season was JJ Redick... who is quite good at it, and the best post entry passer on the entire team. But he didn't get much playing time. Actually, now that I think about it, Darko shared the ball quite a bit as well... but got not nearly enough playing time.

Brian Hill is such a ****ing retard that Tony Battie had more free reign on offense than Darko did.
Shogon Vendetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 11:48 AM   #44
John Starks
National High School Star
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,983
Default Re: Rashard to play PF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shogon Vendetta
I'll totally agree with the moving the ball being the Magic's biggest problem stance. That's about as true as it gets. They just don't share the ball well, at all.

The reason that nobody knows how to move the ball is because our coach sucked complete ass. That's changed now.

Example... Grant Hill is more than capable of moving the ball, but did he? If you'd watched the games, you'd know that he didn't for the most part.

There were probably more isolation plays called for Grant Hill than anything else in the entire play book last season and he had no qualms about taking advantage of them and not sharing the ball.

In fact, the only player on the entire roster that consistently moved the ball last season was JJ Redick... who is quite good at it, and the best post entry passer on the entire team. But he didn't get much playing time. Actually, now that I think about it, Darko shared the ball quite a bit as well... but got not nearly enough playing time.

Brian Hill is such a ****ing retard that Tony Battie had more free reign on offense than Darko did.

OK - but with Lewis at SF, and SVG, do you see ball movemebt just naturally improving - improving to the point where it is no longer a weakness? Even with Foyle at pf/C?
John Starks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 12:16 PM   #45
Shogon Vendetta
Decent playground baller
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 311
Default Re: Rashard to play PF

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Starks
OK - but with Lewis at SF, and SVG, do you see ball movemebt just naturally improving - improving to the point where it is no longer a weakness? Even with Foyle at pf/C?

Personally I don't like the idea of Rashard Lewis playing PF. I don't even like the idea of Rashard Lewis being on the Magic.

Nevertheless, if the Magic are still very bad at moving the ball this year it'll be because of Stan Van Gundy. I don't think who plays where on the court will make much of a difference.
Shogon Vendetta is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:03 AM.




NBA Basketball Forum Key Links:
InsideHoops Home
NBA Rumors
Basketball Blog
NBA Daily Recaps
NBA Videos
Fantasy Basketball
NBA Mock Draft
NBA Free Agents
All-Star Weekend
---
High School Basketball
Streetball
---
InsideHoops Twitter
Search Our Site













Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy