Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Draft Forum

NBA Draft Forum NBA Draft message board - nba draft forum

Old 10-09-2007, 08:01 AM   #1
YounG*G
Can barely lace up my sneakers

YounG*G has an OK reputation so far
Default Race to the 1st place in Draft 2008

Beasley, Mayo, Batum or somebody else??
They all got skills and atletecism but only one can be FIRST.
YounG*G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 06:01 PM   #2
marny_navis
Banned

marny_navis has decent reputation
Default Re: Race to the 1st place in Draft 2008

I like Mayo as the player I think will be the safest bet to be a superstar in the NBA. To me, Beasley has the best potential of the bunch. I don't know much about Batum except he's athletic and has a crazy looking form on his shot. Derrick Rose is another possible 1st overall pick if a team is in need of a point guard at #1.
marny_navis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 06:45 PM   #3
new noise
madvillain

new noise has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by YounG*G
Beasley, Mayo, Batum or somebody else??
They all got skills and atletecism but only one can be FIRST.

How the sh*t is Rose not one of the first two names out of your mouth? Kid's got OJ Mayo beat. Derrick Rose to the Pacers with the number 1 or 2 pick.

Beasley if he has a good season is bound to get the most hype, just due to that unspoken rule of drafting size first.

Last edited by new noise : 10-09-2007 at 06:48 PM.
new noise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 03:34 AM   #4
monthh
Local High School Star

monthh has an OK reputation so far

I think Mayo is the #1 pick if the draft is held today. He is the biggest name and might have the most potential out of the other top prospects. I expect him to have a pretty big year in college, but he is not NBA ready.

As of right now, I would say Rose is last on the list of players who have a chance to go #1, simply because he is a guard, and not as well known as Mayo. In the end the fact that he is a 6-4 PG will allow him to move up and be right there in the running for the #2 pick.

I think Batum will end up being the clear cut #1 pick when the draft rolls around. After this season and the pre-draft workouts, he will seperate himself from the rest.

I think Beasley is probably #2 on the list as of right now, but people forget he is 6-8, maybe 6-9. He is not 6-11 like Howard, Amare, or Bosh. He may be the next Brand, but I just don't think teams will fall in love with him because he only has average size. For him to go 2nd or 3rd a team would have to be looking for a forward in my opinion.

So to recap:
Right now:
1. Mayo
2. Beasley
3. Batum
4. Rose

By draft night:
1. Batum
2. Rose
3. Mayo
4. Beasley

Last edited by monthh : 10-10-2007 at 12:31 PM.
monthh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 09:15 AM   #5
YounG*G
Can barely lace up my sneakers

YounG*G has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by new noise
How the sh*t is Rose not one of the first two names out of your mouth? Kid's got OJ Mayo beat. Derrick Rose to the Pacers with the number 1 or 2 pick.

Beasley if he has a good season is bound to get the most hype, just due to that unspoken rule of drafting size first.

Sorry, I forgot about Rose, he's one of the favourites too.
YounG*G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 02:04 AM   #6
jazz12
Banned

jazz12 has an OK reputation so far

Ironic the topic has race in it since I think Chase Budinger has a shot because of his race, he's a top 10 talent (prob top 5) and is a high flying white dude (who can do other things like shoot) and has great size for SG. I'm not saying he will be or that it is fair but as I said in another topic I think there is a real chance esp if he wins player of the year. He's a rare commodity. If he's as good as advertised, a franchise player, he'd sell tickets and sneakers like crazy.
jazz12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 02:02 PM   #7
monthh
Local High School Star

But what good white American players have done well lately? Teams like trends and who are the recent white POY candidates? Adam Morrison? J.J. Redick? Luke Jackson? Nick Collison? Mike Dunleavy? I'm not saying Budinger isn't different, and I do think he will go top 10, but what is it that will make scouts think he isn't just another good college player?

And just to make sure, I do think he will be a good player. I had him picked by the Blazers, and I think he would be about equal to someone like Brandon Roy. Still, the draft is all about trends and the people who will be associated with Budinger have not had a ton of success.
Old 10-14-2007, 09:09 PM   #8
jazz12
Banned

jazz12 has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by monthh
But what good white American players have done well lately? Teams like trends and who are the recent white POY candidates? Adam Morrison? J.J. Redick? Luke Jackson? Nick Collison? Mike Dunleavy? I'm not saying Budinger isn't different, and I do think he will go top 10, but what is it that will make scouts think he isn't just another good college player?

And just to make sure, I do think he will be a good player. I had him picked by the Blazers, and I think he would be about equal to someone like Brandon Roy. Still, the draft is all about trends and the people who will be associated with Budinger have not had a ton of success.

I think Portland would be a nice spot for Air Bud but how much talent can the Blazer's stockpile? They're going to have tough choices to make down the road on who they pay and who they lose. I think Chase Budinger will be different than all those guys because he's got great athleticism and size (and has a jumpshot). Those players you mention are all one-dimensional. Adam Morrison is an awful athlete, a diabetic, and can't rebound or defend and is even a streaky shooter (and he's ugly and cries). J.J. Redick is an incredible shooter and was IMO a good pick where they took him (11th?), it's a draft pick and the draft is more miss than hit and they were comfortable giving up the pick for a player that can stretch the defense with Dwight in the paint, they knew he was just a pure shooter. Luke Jackson was a nice player who looked like the perfect sidekick for Lebron, unfortunately he has back problem. I think he could have been a good player if he didn't have the back problem. I don't remember the hype about Nick Collison but he is just a decent hustle player and should have taken that big money offer when he had the chance. Dunleavey was a joke and you can't say anything but wtf were they thinking. A rail thin shooter with average athleticism and skillset. I just think Budinger has that special something, he impressed me in his freshman season and he has that drive... I just wish he was more selfish at times.
jazz12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 02:27 AM   #9
monthh
Local High School Star

Everything you said it true, but teams don't think that way all the time. Some teams look past everything like you have, but the overall perception can hurt or help a guys stock. Morrison and Dunleavy both got compared to Bird and shot up the draft. Budinger will get compared to them I think, and then drop some. Or at least not move way up.

And you seem to be a Budinger fan, but the fit is more important than the draft pick, as I am sure you know.

Last edited by monthh : 10-15-2007 at 02:30 AM.
Old 10-21-2007, 05:30 PM   #10
jamal99
Valar Morghulis

jamal99 has an incredible reputation herejamal99 has an incredible reputation herejamal99 has an incredible reputation herejamal99 has an incredible reputation herejamal99 has an incredible reputation herejamal99 has an incredible reputation here

White guys go better then the other ones in NBA.
I'm not nearly a racist but that's fact.
If he is nearly athletic like some black guy he'll be better pick and better paid.
Example - Milicic - he was No. 2 pick!! WHY? He's surely not better then Carmelo, Wade, Bosh... Probably not better then some guys who were 20-30.
jamal99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 03:36 PM   #11
bonez26
Local High School Star

bonez26 has an OK reputation so far

Rose
Mayo
Batum
Beasley
bonez26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 02:33 AM   #12
monthh
Local High School Star

I think the fact that Rose got such attention for his exibition game, he has jumped into the front already. Hype is a big part of the equation and Rose already has average college basketball fans talking. I'm not sure if Mayo or Beasley have played a game yet, but Rose seems like the type of talent that will be on SportsCenter all year long. I'm predicting right now that Rose's name comes out of the mouths of Jay Bilias and Digger Phelps more than any other players this season. I'm not saying he will be as good as Durrant or Oden, but I think he will be as good as any college basketball player this season. Mayo and Beasley will do well (like Hawes, Budinger, or even Wright good), but not All-American level like Oden and Durrant. I still think Mayo and Beasley will have good years and go top 5, but it is so hard to follow up a Freshman class like last year. It might not happen again for a decade, much less this season.
Old 11-10-2007, 05:35 PM   #13
AlThornton
Great young streetballer

AlThornton has an OK reputation so far

is it just me or does there seem to be ALOT of exciting, guys with tons of upside in this years draft compared to most others?

I mean

Rose
Mayo
Beasley
Batum

all can be considered Franchise type players.

Not to mention guys like

Jordan
Buddinger
Hibbert
Arthur
Gordon

I mean seriously the top 5 teams in next years lottery will all get a potential superstar. IMO
AlThornton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 08:06 PM   #14
Pyro
Banned

Pyro has an OK reputation so far

1. Mayo
2. Rose
3. Beasley
Pyro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 04:28 AM   #15
monthh
Local High School Star

With the start of the college season, this is starting to look like a really good class. I have kind of jumped off the Batum bandwagon a little bit. I still think he will get considerations for the #1 pick, but Rose to me has jumped out in front. He still plays young sometimes, but combination of size, speed, and talent is once in a generation level.

However, I do think there will be a suprise leading up to the draft because I think DeAndre Jordan will start to get a long look in the top 3 and maybe even #1. I think it comes down to who is drafting.

Obviously the Kings got Hawes last year, and you can't expect Bibby to be around much longer, so they probably go Rose. Ridnour hasn't worked out as the Sonics PG, and I don't think any of the other guys are the long-term answer, so they go with Rose as well.

Philly could go either way with no long-term answers at either position. Who knows what NY would do if they got the pick. Indiana is the same where they really are in limbo at every position except for Granger. Washington, GS, Chicago, and Miami are 3 teams that you would expect to turn things around, but if they don't all of them except the Heat could use a true center, and even the Heat may take Shaq's replacement. The other wildcard is Memphis because they took Conley last year, and signed Darko to a big deal to play next to Gasol.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: