Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Draft Forum

NBA Draft Forum NBA Draft message board - nba draft forum

Old 10-07-2007, 08:53 AM   #16
dogman652
Serious playground baller

dogman652 has decent reputation
Default Re: 2008 Mock Draft

Personally, i think that Hasheem Thabeet will go 5th
dogman652 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 12:02 PM   #17
marny_navis
Banned

marny_navis has decent reputation

I haven't seen Thabeet play much. What's he like? From what I hear he is a bit raw but he blocks shots ver well and he's very strong. Have any highlights?
marny_navis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 08:55 PM   #18
monthh
Local High School Star

monthh has an OK reputation so far

Budinger was my second choice for the Clippers as I said. It really comes down to potential, and this team has shown by taking Olowokandi and Kaman in the lottery, that they are willing to take a chance on a big man.

Thabeet is not even close to being NBA ready. He has bust written all over him, but at best I think he is like Adonal Foyle. I wouldn't use a top 20 pick on him, but of course that is just me and he may have taken a huge step since his freshman year.

6. Minnesota-Kosta Koufos-C-Ohio State-Like Seattle this team has a lot of good young players, but they are a little more experienced and win a few more games. With the 1 through 4 spots locked down with recent draft picks and guys brought in from the KG trade, they go with a true center. Koufos will take some time to develop, but will allow them to play Al Jefferson more at his natural position of PF.

Other possible picks: Roy Hibbert gives them an inside player right away so they give him a long look
Brook Lopez is another center they have to look at, but doesnít have the upside of Koufos or the immediate impact that Hibbert would bring
monthh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 09:54 PM   #19
marny_navis
Banned

What do you guys think of the chances of Koufos entering the draft? B.J. Mullens is coming to town next year but it could be a good combo. Does Koufos know how to play PF?
Old 10-07-2007, 11:18 PM   #20
monthh
Local High School Star

I think they are pretty much the same player. Mullens is the better overall athlete and has more potential though. I think they could play together and would make a nice duo because both can move outside some and are pretty good with the ball for 7-footers. Together they would make a really hard matchup for anyone. The toughest thing will be against those hard-nosed Big Ten teams because neither are Greg Oden inside.

As for Koufos entering this year, I have no idea what his personal situation is, but if he can put up 10+pts, 6+reb, and he shows some of his passing/ball handling skills he is a lock for the lottery, and that is hard to pass up for anyone. The only way I don't see him being a lottery pick is if he looks really unathletic and can't play any defense on the college level.
Old 10-09-2007, 06:52 AM   #21
YounG*G
Can barely lace up my sneakers

YounG*G has an OK reputation so far

1st will be Mike Beasley cause he's amazingly athletic and very good shooting range. If he takes NBA little bit more serious he can be leading NBA superstar, only problem is his bad temper and he looks like he is always saying "I'm much better than anyone on the world, why to give my best shoot". I'm from Serbia and I watched him on U19 world championship, he is som much talented, but he wont' work.

2nd will probably be OJ Mayo, he's great but I think that Beasley is better.

3rd - Nick Batum, I watched him to on U19 world championship, he is talented but unlike Beasley, Batum is hard worker and he does what is best for his team (rebound, pass, shoot, foul).
YounG*G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 05:21 PM   #22
marny_navis
Banned

Quote:
1st will be Mike Beasley cause he's amazingly athletic and very good shooting range. If he takes NBA little bit more serious he can be leading NBA superstar, only problem is his bad temper and he looks like he is always saying "I'm much better than anyone on the world, why to give my best shoot". I'm from Serbia and I watched him on U19 world championship, he is som much talented, but he wont' work.

2nd will probably be OJ Mayo, he's great but I think that Beasley is better.

3rd - Nick Batum, I watched him to on U19 world championship, he is talented but unlike Beasley, Batum is hard worker and he does what is best for his team (rebound, pass, shoot, foul).

I think Beasley has the most talent, too. If only he had a good temperament, then maybe more people would consider him worthy of the #1 pick. I think he will be the best player on an average team for many years, unless he gets to go to the Suns, then him and Amare would be sickening. O.J.'s probably my #2 as well, although if I had to choose between the two who I want to lead my franchise, I would pick Mayo because attitude's not as much of a problem for me with him, and I think he is the closest thing to a safe pick in the draft. I don't know much about Batum, so it would be dumb for me to start rambling on about things I don't know about in hopes that any of you think I do. From what I have seen of him, he's got a funky looking shot, great athleticism, a nice T-Mac like body, and he seems to be a high character kid. I think he will do okay in the NBA; at the very least he could provide perimeter defense and athleticism, sort of like Tayshaun Prince. I need to find out more about him. Derrick Rose is my #3, because of his size at the point guard spot, his althleticism, and I just think he's going to be a great player in the NBA.
Old 10-10-2007, 02:19 AM   #23
monthh
Local High School Star

7. Charlotte-Darrell Arthur-PF-Kansas-This team has some pieces, but how long are they going to go to lose with Emeka Okafor, Sean May, and Primoz Brezec? Wallace is locked up long term, and Felton looks like their PG, but with so many games being missed by their two lottery pick big men in Okafor and May, this team looks to another big college player to hopefully produce enough to finally warrant such a high pick.

Other possible picks: Roy Hibbert would fit in if they decide to stay with Okafor as a cornerstone player
Eric Gordon would make a nice, although undersized, backcourt with Felton, but they just traded for Jason Richardson and signed Matt Carroll to a long deal
Old 10-11-2007, 02:24 AM   #24
monthh
Local High School Star

8. Portland-Chase Budinger-SF/SG-Arizona-The Greg Oden injury is a major setback, but one bright spot will be a higher pick in the draft, and Budinger is a great pick. He fills a position they need at SF, and he can be that 3rd or 4th scorer that they need after Brandon Roy, Oden, and LaMarcus Aldridge.

Other possible picks: Donte Greene would fill the SF need, but isnít the prospect that Budinger is
Old 10-11-2007, 05:49 PM   #25
marny_navis
Banned

I like both the Arthur and Budinger picks. Arthur gives athleticism on defense and can guard the quicker offensive player, and gives the Bobcats a strong starting five. Budinger, like you said, is the better small forward, but I wouldn't complain if Danny Greene went to the Blazers either.
Old 10-11-2007, 06:03 PM   #26
jazz12
Banned

jazz12 has an OK reputation so far

Chase Budinger #1 overall pick?

I'm just throwing it out there. I think it depends on the team but the reason I see him going number 1 is because of 1) He's an amazing talent and 2) He's a supremely talented, athletic, and exciting white american basketball player and as unfair as it is he's a rare commodity... He's going to be a marketing phenomenon (assuming he's as good as he looks) and sellout tickets to whatever team drafts him.
jazz12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 06:16 PM   #27
marny_navis
Banned

Quote:
Chase Budinger #1 overall pick?

I'm just throwing it out there. I think it depends on the team but the reason I see him going number 1 is because of 1) He's an amazing talent and 2) He's a supremely talented, athletic, and exciting white american basketball player and as unfair as it is he's a rare commodity... He's going to be a marketing phenomenon (assuming he's as good as he looks) and sellout tickets to whatever team drafts him.

Well that is a little bit out there. Maybe in two years when he's a senior and the next best player is the reincarnation of Kwame Brown.
Old 10-12-2007, 12:47 PM   #28
glidedrxlr22
Dont H8 the Laker H8er

glidedrxlr22 has an incredible reputation hereglidedrxlr22 has an incredible reputation hereglidedrxlr22 has an incredible reputation hereglidedrxlr22 has an incredible reputation hereglidedrxlr22 has an incredible reputation hereglidedrxlr22 has an incredible reputation hereglidedrxlr22 has an incredible reputation hereglidedrxlr22 has an incredible reputation here

How come Portland doesn't have one of the top five picks in most of your mocks here? I'm a Blazers fan, but I certaintly don't think we'll be good enough for a pick past #6. No Oden, Roy's heel problem, lack of scoring, and youth does not lead to a very good record. Oden might've given the Blazers from 5-10 extra wins.
glidedrxlr22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 11:37 PM   #29
monthh
Local High School Star

While you say those things give Budinger an unfair advatage, they were the same things that gave Mike Dunleavy Jr. and Adam Morrison so much hype. I think those things actually hurt him. And yes I agree that Budinger has more potential than those guys, but people get labeled and compared based on that label.

I think Portland did better than most expected last year, and with a year under their belt, have Frye coming in, and Miles coming back, I don't expect them to do any worse than last year.

9. Phoenix from Atlanta-Serge Ibaka-PF-Congo-What can a team that is loaded at every position do? In this case Phoenix takes an 18 year old that they can keep in Europe for a few years. Ibaka may play the same position as their franchise player, Amare Stoudemire, but you never know what will happen three or four years from now when Ibaka is ready to play. What you do know is that Ibaka is tall, has a long wingspan, is athletic, and is only 18 years old.

Other possible picks: Danilo Gallinari gets a look and could be a replacement in case they lose Boris Diaw and Grant Hill retires
Old 10-14-2007, 12:56 AM   #30
jazz12
Banned

jazz12 has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by monthh
While you say those things give Budinger an unfair advatage, they were the same things that gave Mike Dunleavy Jr. and Adam Morrison so much hype. I think those things actually hurt him. And yes I agree that Budinger has more potential than those guys, but people get labeled and compared based on that label.

Well the thing is there were concerns about Dunleavy and Morrison as far as do they have the athleticism to be NBA stars where Budinger is a high flyer and runs the floor very well.
jazz12 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: